Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    If he decides to leave V.Tech, would Duke make a move for Montrezl Harrell?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Good riddance ... I never knew a coach who was so arrogant with so little to be arrogant about.

I've always said, he would ahve been fired a long time ago at a school that gave a darn about basketball (1 NCAA appearance ion eight years?)

That said, it is a tough job and I'd be very surprised if Shaka Smart -- who not only turned down Illinois (far more money), but also NC State ( a MUCH easier place to win).
    Greenberg was off-putting. (As was his brother, fired at Radford for thinking he was above the rules).

NCSU is a *much* easier place to win than VT? or Illinois? or both? NCSU has a storied past, fine arena, supportive alums ... yet I would think that NCState being the little brother to Duke and Carolina the last 25 years would make State, in some respects, a pretty tough place to win. VT has no history outside Allen Bristow and Dell Curry, but is a big school like State, in the ACC like State, and doesn't have Duke and Carolina right down the road (and particularly doesn't have a Carolina dominating in-state recruiting).

A VT friend said he likes dreaming big, but realistically would settle for being like NCState or UVa and making the NCAA tourney pushing 50% of the time.

The NCAA expanded to 64 teams in 1985. In those 28 years ...

VT made the tourney 4 times.
    State made the tourney 12 times.
    UVa made the tourney 12 times.

In the past 28 years, VT was ranked at some point during the season 5 times (UVa 13 times; State 12 times).

In the past 28 years, those three schools have 1 conference tournament title (State - 1987).

In the past 28 years, those schools have 4 regular season conference crowns (VT-1; ST-1; VA-2).

Don't have exact figures, but based on what I've read, Greenberg was earning less than average for an ACC coach, and considerably less than Frank Beamer.

Given the importance of football at VaTech and the lack of a strong basketball tradition, will the Hokies spend big for a new coach?

I think Shaka Smart would have to be "certifiably insane" to leave VCU for VT. At best that's a lateral move. I know VT is in the ACC, but that does not have the cache it once did.

I really doubt VT is going to get a "name" guy at this late date. It's a good job but not a great one, and really the time for luring away the top guys has passed. IMO they'd be well-served to look for an up-and-comer, maybe an assistant at a top program who is ready for the big chair.

Wonder if @headhokie has changed his Twitter handle yet....

When Smart turned down Illinois I remember him saying he was given advice that (paraphrased) "he shouldn't look to run away from happiness." He referenced the fact that he was just starting a new family and was happy where he was, that there was no reason for him to leave.

Maybe the proximity of Blacksburg and the VCU AD leaving provides an opportunity that Shaka would at least be interested in exploring?

But, like others have said, this would not be a traditional career path, and if he went to VT you would think it would be a lateral move. I can't imagine him going through with it, but stranger things have happened.

How he was fired

...I can't imagine that the way the firing went down will help VTech in hiring someone like Shaka Smart, someone with established credentials.

I mean, look at the position VTech has put their new hire in. He has to hire an entirely new staff, re-recruit his own players, and basically has no time in the spring signing period to go out and find new recruits. Plus, the previous head coach essentially didn't hear about his firing until have the world already new from internet sources.

It strikes me that this becomes a job where an ambitious assistant can "punch above his weight" and get an ACC job in a place that might or might not have potential, but would be less attractive to some other up and coming coaches do to the weirdness of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    VT has no history outside Allen Bristow and Dell Curry, but is a big school like State, in the ACC like State, and doesn't have Duke and Carolina right down the road (and particularly doesn't have a Carolina dominating in-state recruiting).
    VT might not have the Big Two right down the road, but it still has to play them just as many times as State does, so in that sense it's equally as hard to win. I agree that the media pressure isn't as great, and you make a good point about in-state recruiting (though State has done extremely well for themselves as of late). Overall I think VT is a harder place to win than NCSU.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    ...I can't imagine that the way the firing went down will help VTech in hiring someone like Shaka Smart, someone with established credentials.
    Absolutely, I mean who would want to coach for them after the way they just treated Greenberg? Greenberg himself didn't even know he was being canned until a few hours before the press conference. They told him a month ago that he had their full support.

It reminds me of when Dan Gilbert publicly lambasted Lebron for leaving Cleveland. Whether or not you think he deserved it, what player would want to go play for someone who would do that?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Absolutely, I mean who would want to coach for them after the way they just treated Greenberg? Greenberg himself didn't even know he was being canned until a few hours before the press conference. They told him a month ago that he had their full support.

It reminds me of when Dan Gilbert publicly lambasted Lebron for leaving Cleveland. Whether or not you think he deserved it, what player would want to go play for someone who would do that?
    VT's actions only make sense if they already have a strong line on someone. I assume someone coming in would want his own staff, so the loss of assistants is probably a plus not a minus. But otherwise, the timing is tough for a new hire -- let alone starting a seach committee fresh at this point.

As far as Seth not knowing -- not sure that has much impact on a potential hire. There are few good ways to get fired, and taking the job requires a certain level of comfort with the AD anyway.

I found a cite that Greenberg was making $750K in 2009. It was probably closer to $1 million in 2012. His buyout was $1.2 million, which covered the guaranteed portion of the remaining four years on his contract.

So, for $1 million per year, how many former head coaches now looking for work, current assistants anywhere, or head coaches at mid-major level or below would compete for this job?

How about: Except for Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens, all of them?

Weaver's hand was forced. He would need to help Seth recruit three new assistants who would want compeititve salaries and some guarantees of longevity. Since Seth was clearly on a short leash after a losing record, this was a bad position for Weaver. As to timing, James Johnson left for Clemson on April 13 (dateline of story). Weaver went to the VT Chancellor last week, and they jointly agreed yesterday.

These are never happy occasions, and the timing was indeed awkward. Announcement was made as soon as possible to minimize leaks.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I found a cite that Greenberg was making $750K in 2009. It was probably closer to $1 million in 2012. His buyout was $1.2 million, which covered the guaranteed portion of the remaining four years on his contract.

So, for $1 million per year, how many former head coaches now looking for work, current assistants anywhere, or head coaches at mid-major level or below would compete for this job?

How about: Except for Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens, all of them?

Weaver's hand was forced. He would need to help Seth recruit three new assistants who would want compeititve salaries and some guarantees of longevity. Since Seth was clearly on a short leash after a losing record, this was a bad position for Weaver. As to timing, James Johnson left for Clemson on April 13 (dateline of story). Weaver went to the VT Chancellor last week, and they jointly agreed yesterday.

These are never happy occasions, and the timing was indeed awkward. Announcement was made as soon as possible to minimize leaks.

sagegrouse
    Saw some of Weaver's news conference and was wondering about his remarks and presentation...seemed nervous or halting.
    I've seen a few references that actually he has Parkinson's disease.
    Like some other comments, I'm really wondering if he has somebody lined up for this, or is starting from scratch and doing it with some budget restrictions? Seems to me that the VaTech program could be looking at some tough times if they don't make a good hire.

They told him a month ago that he had their full support.
    From what I read, the situation changed when they lost all of the assistants. They were going to have to hire three new assistants and this was, seemingly, the perverbial straw. Why have three new hires when you are dissatisfied with the man at the top? Why wait for one more year with an unsettled situation.

I agree it was not handled artfully but then, Seth did not seem to run an artful shop.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Seth Greenberg article

Here is a good write-up from Techsideline on what happened to Seth Greenberg.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's even worse when the guy firing you said just a month ago that you are doing a fine job and you've got his support 100%.
    Ah yes, the classic AD vote of confidence. Always the kiss of death.

[Ooops, functionally a dupe. My bad.]
    Last edited by alteran; 04-24-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Here is a good write-up from Techsideline on what happened to Seth Greenberg.
    Summary: Greenberg is a jerk - it takes some longer than others to realize it, but eventually most everyone gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I agree it was not handled artfully but then, Seth did not seem to run an artful shop.
    That's pure poetry.

Greenberg had a long run. Many get clipped without warning after one or two years. Now we see coaches jumping ship, leaving recruits high and dry. Today, onje left alma mater after one year. Predictions are likely to lose many, if not all, recruits. Between coaches on move, by choice or not, players going early or switching schools, looking more like pros ever more. Crazy how money can ruin things,not make them better. Paradox.