Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Melbourne Beach, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I'm hearing that Virginia Tech wants Shaka badly. Stay tuned...
    I would think that Smart would be smart, and demand complete control of the program and assistants, a long contract, and big, big dollars. I don't know that VPI has that kind of money for basketball, but they do need some good press. This could do it.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by CBDUKE View Post
    Shaka's AD is leaving for Minnesota, so keep an eye out. He might be willing to leave now.
    Shaka rumors are hot among VT folks right now, with many honestly wondering whether or not that's at best a lateral move for him.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Shaka rumors are hot among VT folks right now, with many honestly wondering whether or not that's at best a lateral move for him.
    I'm wondering if this is the reason why Weaver let Seth go now. Maybe, he's been working behind the scenes on Shaka to the point where it looks favorable for V-Tech. At the very least, I would have to think Jim Weaver has a plan in motion because a "sane" person wouldn't fire Seth and risk losing players without having a plan already in place for his next successor.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by CBDUKE View Post
    Shaka's AD is leaving for Minnesota, so keep an eye out. He might be willing to leave now.
    You're all joking right? Shaka said no to ILLINOIS. He's not going to say yes to a job that's barely a lateral move.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

    Carolina Delenda Est

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    You're all joking right? Shaka said no to ILLINOIS. He's not going to say yes to a job that's barely a lateral move.
    I agree with this statement. VCU is more of a "national title contender" than Va Tech is right now anyway. No chance Smart goes to VT. It would take him at least 3-4 years to get them where he has VCU right now.

    Glad to see Greenberg go. I got so sick and tired of ESPN doing a semi-split screen during Duke games with a camera on just him! Who cares, what has that guy done!

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I know it's K, Hamilton, Williams, then who's next now?

    I, too, wouldn't mind Seth on College GameDay. Gotta get some dome-shiner for the bright lights.
    Believe it or not Tony Bennett who is starting his 4th year in ACC this year.

    Figured Seth Greenberg was on the hot seat but not until after this season.

    He did well given VA Tech history but time for a new face, since he never got them over the finish line.

    Just handled very poorly announcing the press conference before they had the courtesy to tell Seth after 9 years there.

    Real reason was with Seth gone, sum of coach K's years coaching in ACC again will exceed the ACC tenure of the other 11 combined.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Sylvia Hatchell retired that title a long time ago.
    That. Is. Hilarious.
    Seriously enjoying "wine time" tonight after that post.
    Hmmmm, the male basketball coaches of the ACC....a calendar in the works?

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    You're all joking right? Shaka said no to ILLINOIS. He's not going to say yes to a job that's barely a lateral move.
    It seems highly unlikely to me that VaTech can match the $$ Illinois offered and was turned down. And given that VaTech is a lesser job than Illinois, I'd expect they'd need to outbid Illinois to get Smart to listen. No chance.

    I get Teague leaving is a reason that might get Shaka to move on, but it makes no sense he'd bolt now. VCU is going to be really good next year. His star won't dim in 12 months. Va Tech isn't an opening you jump at if you are already a coach of a top 25 team.
    Last edited by Chicago 1995; 04-23-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Typos

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    I respect Bob Greene for not wishing ill upon the recently fired Seth Greenberg.

    I for one am grateful that Greenberg is no longer representing an ACC program or university.

    The timing is peculiar indeed. I'm sure Duke will miss beating the Hokies, too. But now playing them won't be tantamount to a football game.

    If we could handpick a new coach for the Hokies, it would probably be someone they couldn't afford or convince to come to Blacksburg, where bball is second fiddle on campus, and last chair in the league. Well, almost.

    Here's hoping VT can make a hire worthy of the university and the conference. Time for ACC basketball to up the ante.

  10. #50
    I remember watching Duke beat VT in the ACCT this year and thinking that it might be Greenberg's last game at VT.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Believe it or not Tony Bennett who is starting his 4th year in ACC this year.

    Figured Seth Greenberg was on the hot seat but not until after this season.

    He did well given VA Tech history but time for a new face, since he never got them over the finish line.

    Just handled very poorly announcing the press conference before they had the courtesy to tell Seth after 9 years there.

    Real reason was with Seth gone, sum of coach K's years coaching in ACC again will exceed the ACC tenure of the other 11 combined.
    Interesting, too, that those are 4 of the top 5 programs in the conference, as well. I can't recall a time when the coaches in our conference were collectively so weak after K and Roy. Until the coaching in the ACC improves, the quality of basketball will continue to struggle too.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I respect Bob Greene for not wishing ill upon the recently fired Seth Greenberg.

    I for one am grateful that Greenberg is no longer representing an ACC program or university.

    The timing is peculiar indeed. I'm sure Duke will miss beating the Hokies, too. But now playing them won't be tantamount to a football game.

    If we could handpick a new coach for the Hokies, it would probably be someone they couldn't afford or convince to come to Blacksburg, where bball is second fiddle on campus, and last chair in the league. Well, almost.

    Here's hoping VT can make a hire worthy of the university and the conference. Time for ACC basketball to up the ante.
    I hear you on the bolded part, but on the other side of the coin, Greenberg was a "personality", and that part will be missed. He maybe came along in the wrong era, as he would have been a great fit in the ACC of the 70's with Lefty, Sloan, Dean, Terry Holland, etc. He has been on local radio here numerous times over the years and is a great interview.

    When I first saw Seth that night in Cameron where he got tossed, I thought "man this guy is in way over his head, he belongs at a Middle-Elementary school", but he actually is not a terrible coach. His biggest issue (aside apparently from running off assistants) was the ability to win against Top 5 Duke and UNC teams in the very same season as losing to multiple teams not in the Top 100.

    The whining at the refs became amusing to me at some point, but I do agree on the rough play. Our guys endured lots of bumps, bruises, elbows, and knees along the way. No excuse for that at all.

    "[T]he tarnished Tar Heels that bear little resemblance to the revered program built by Dean Smith."- Ashville Times
    "UNC and the NCAA are trying to conceal that the fraud was specifically designed to pad the transcripts of varsity athletes" - Bloomberg

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Interesting, too, that those are 4 of the top 5 programs in the conference, as well. I can't recall a time when the coaches in our conference were collectively so weak after K and Roy. Until the coaching in the ACC improves, the quality of basketball will continue to struggle too.
    Well, maybe; another perspective is that needed changes have been made and that a new batch of talented coaches is on the rise.

    Leonard Hamilton at FSU has proven himself; NC State and Virginia are on the rise; Maryland, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Miami show signs of improvement with coaches who have had success elsewhere.
    Boston College, Wake, and now Virginia Tech are question marks. Then add national powers Syracuse and Pitt.

    I'd say the ACC has been down, but is on the way up again.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    You're all joking right? Shaka said no to ILLINOIS. He's not going to say yes to a job that's barely a lateral move.
    If Shaka Smart leaves VCU for VT, he had better be prepared to start being referred to as Shaka Dumb.
    Bob Green
    United States Navy (Retired)
    @JBobGreen

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, maybe; another perspective is that needed changes have been made and that a new batch of talented coaches is on the rise.

    Leonard Hamilton at FSU has proven himself; NC State and Virginia are on the rise; Maryland, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Miami show signs of improvement with coaches who have had success elsewhere.
    Boston College, Wake, and now Virginia Tech are question marks. Then add national powers Syracuse and Pitt.

    I'd say the ACC has been down, but is on the way up again.
    Definitely on the way back up with the core of coaches you mentioned. Other than Wake, and dependent on what VaTech does, the ACC is in much better shape now than just 2 years ago, coaching wise.

    "[T]he tarnished Tar Heels that bear little resemblance to the revered program built by Dean Smith."- Ashville Times
    "UNC and the NCAA are trying to conceal that the fraud was specifically designed to pad the transcripts of varsity athletes" - Bloomberg

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, maybe; another perspective is that needed changes have been made and that a new batch of talented coaches is on the rise.

    Leonard Hamilton at FSU has proven himself; NC State and Virginia are on the rise; Maryland, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Miami show signs of improvement with coaches who have had success elsewhere.
    Boston College, Wake, and now Virginia Tech are question marks. Then add national powers Syracuse and Pitt.

    I'd say the ACC has been down, but is on the way up again.
    Agreed 100%. I think that top to bottom, this is the best the conference has been since the drop-off after the '80's.
    Twerp-free since July 1, 2014.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    If Shaka Smart leaves VCU for VT, he had better be prepared to start being referred to as Shaka Dumb.
    I disagree with this, Bob. It's an ACC job. There's talent there. Didn't they just build a practice facility? The school is sports-obsessed and would embrace a winner big-time, although football will always be king. I liken the opportunity to Florida. Florida hoops had one final AP Top 25 poll showing in its history before Billy Donovan; that's what VT has right now, as well. Though VCU and GMU and ODU and Richmond have had nice runs and NCAA success, it's still a UVa and VT state ... a splashy hire like Shaka and the enthusiasm that would generate, and then keeping some of the Tidewater talent in-state (like the football team does) now that VT is ACC (the area that has produced Iverson, JR Reid, Alonzo) ... or the other talent that has crossed the border (Grant Hill, JJ Redick, Silent G, Joey Beard! just to Duke) .... even the hoops-rich DC market is saturated with VT coverage, even though Blacksburg is 5 hours away, because of the alumni base in NoVa and the football success ....

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Winterville, NC
    I would have fired him after the FSU game. That was a total debacle and an embarassment.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Ever since Greenberg mocked Greg Paulus for getting "tea bagged" in a post-game press conference (yes, he actually used that phrase) I lost all respect for him and have wished nothing but misfortune on him. Their program has a culture of thuggery and punkishness. Forget the fans, the players themselves carry this attitude and it starts at the top.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    If Shaka Smart leaves VCU for VT, he had better be prepared to start being referred to as Shaka Dumb.
    This is awesome.

  20. #60

    greenberg

    Good riddance ... I never knew a coach who was so arrogant with so little to be arrogant about.

    I've always said, he would ahve been fired a long time ago at a school that gave a darn about basketball (1 NCAA appearance ion eight years?)

    That said, it is a tough job and I'd be very surprised if Shaka Smart -- who not only turned down Illinois (far more money), but also NC State ( a MUCH easier place to win).

Similar Threads

  1. Seth Greenberg Suit
    By Rudy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 05:09 PM
  2. How is Seth?
    By fitimi1 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 08:07 AM
  3. Seth Question
    By PADukeMom in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
  4. Seth Curry was in a movie
    By ksimp112 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
  5. Deron Washington / Seth Greenberg
    By redick4pres in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •