Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Larry Brown: Formidable Competition Calipari Who? There's a New Kid on the Bloc

    Calipari is talented at coaching talent, in particular at helping the-best of the best one and doners prepare for the pros and win big during their year of apprenticeship. The key, in my opinion, to his consistent success at recruiting these budding stars has been getting the top-rate point (who wouldn't want to play with a star point in a pro style game? And, I have to believe that the key to Calipari's considtent success in landing that point year in and year out has been Strickland.

    Strickland has left, and he is now with a coach, a developer of talent who can run circles around Cal. The combination of Strickland's ability to mentor a star quality point, to model and teach the dazzling parts of the game, has to have been Calipari's best selling point. Why else did he have Stricland around. If the opportunity to learn the game and play for one of the best teachers the game has ever known was not enough, Larry has Strickland to land the straw; Larry will stir the drink.

    Calipari might well be toast. Also, everything points to the fact that Larry intends to use this new gig to go out on top--to win it all again in his very last gig, one that it seems it was not easy for him to land. Yeap, Larry wants him another championship and then ride off into the sunset. I think everybody ought to sit up and take notice of this one.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 04-21-2012 at 06:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Calipari is talented at coaching talent, in particular at helping the-best of the best one and doners prepare for the pros and win big during their year of apprenticeship. The key, in my opinion, to his consistent success at recruiting these budding stars has been getting the top-rate point (who wouldn't want to play with a star point in a pro style game? And, I have to believe that the key to Calipari's considtent success in landing that point year in and year out has been Strickland.

    Strickland has left, and he is now with a coach, a developer of talent who can run circles around Cal. The combination of Strickland's ability to mentor a star quality point, to model and teach the dazzling parts of the game, has to have been Calipari's best selling point. Why else did he have Stricland around. If the opportunity to learn the game and play for one of the best teachers the game has ever known was not enough, Larry has Strickland to land the straw; Larry will stir the drink.

    Calipari might well be toast. Also, everything points to the fact that Larry intends to use this new gig to go out on top--to win it all again in his very last gig, one that it seems it was not easy for him to land. Yeap, Larry wants him another championship and then ride off into the sunset. I think everybody ought to sit up and take notice of this one.
    At SMU? Very intriguing. Things are about to get interesting in Texas.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Calipari is talented at coaching talent, in particular at helping the-best of the best one and doners prepare for the pros and win big during their year of apprenticeship. The key, in my opinion, to his consistent success at recruiting these budding stars has been getting the top-rate point (who wouldn't want to play with a star point in a pro style game? And, I have to believe that the key to Calipari's considtent success in landing that point year in and year out has been Strickland.

    Strickland has left, and he is now with a coach, a developer of talent who can run circles around Cal. The combination of Strickland's ability to mentor a star quality point, to model and teach the dazzling parts of the game, has to have been Calipari's best selling point. Why else did he have Stricland around. If the opportunity to learn the game and play for one of the best teachers the game has ever known was not enough, Larry has Strickland to land the straw; Larry will stir the drink.

    Calipari might well be toast. Also, everything points to the fact that Larry intends to use this new gig to go out on top--to win it all again in his very last gig, one that it seems it was not easy for him to land. Yeap, Larry wants him another championship and then ride off into the sunset. I think everybody ought to sit up and take notice of this one.
    Brown may "intend" to go out on top, but his chances of doing so at a backwater like SMU, with zero basketball history and tradition and lots of other obstacles, is essentially zero.

    Strickland was instrumental in the recruiting successes at Kentucky, but assistant Orlando Antigua has been HUGE as a recruiting force for Calipari. Whenever the kids talk about the connection they have at Kentucky, they're always talking about "Coach O."

    Calipari, with another big class coming in, and now with a championship under his belt, is far from toast. He has the most successful on-the-court program in the nation going right now. By far. And it's the destination of choice for a very large percentage of the top high school players in the land.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Larry Brown? The punk who took a cheap shot at Art Heyman and set off a court riot?

    I hope he gets the same treatment Doh! got with the Smustangs.

    Feh.




    (Not that I hold a grudge or anything)
    "What, me worry?" -- Roy Williams

  5. #5
    Brown is the basketball genius who kept LeBron and Carmelo on the bench all the way to a flameout in the Olympics. He really doesn't like to play rookies. That doesn't jibe with the Calipari model at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Larry Brown? The punk who took a cheap shot at Art Heyman and set off a court riot?

    I hope he gets the same treatment Doh! got with the Smustangs.

    Feh.




    (Not that I hold a grudge or anything)
    Larry took the cheap shot? You're kidding right? Duke was up by about 30 (I think it was actually more) in the final 5 seconds of the game, Larry came from the right side along the baseline to the other side of the rim, Heyman came all the way down the lane at speed and horse collared Larry with two arms--Larry didn't get an inch off the ground and didn't get the ball up to the basket. Why'd Heyman do it? It was Larry, that's why.[/BA] The two had been going at it since high school, and not only was Artie twice Larry's size, but also he played mean--everything I've ever heard or read about the guy attests to it. Artie did get suspended from playing in the ACC tournament because of that gratuitous shot he took at Larry that started the whole thing, didn't he. Facts, facts are a killer, ain't they.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Larry took the cheap shot? You're kidding right? Duke was up by about 30 (I think it was actually more) in the final 5 seconds of the game, Larry came from the right side along the baseline to the other side of the rim, Heyman came all the way down the lane at speed and horse collared Larry with two arms--Larry didn't get an inch off the ground and didn't get the ball up to the basket. Why'd Heyman do it? It was Larry, that's why.[/BA] The two had been going at it since high school, and not only was Artie twice Larry's size, but also he played mean--everything I've ever heard or read about the guy attests to it. Artie did get suspended from playing in the ACC tournament because of that gratuitous shot he took at Larry that started the whole thing, didn't he. Facts, facts are a killer, ain't they.
    I'll stick with my version:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RroAH4vwU
    "What, me worry?" -- Roy Williams

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    Brown is the basketball genius who kept LeBron and Carmelo on the bench all the way to a flameout in the Olympics. He really doesn't like to play rookies. That doesn't jibe with the Calipari model at all.
    Neither of the guys you mentioned has yet to distinguish himself as a team player; Larry coaches a team game; and he was thrown under the bus by two, or was it three, key players from his Detroit Championship team who "needed to rest" rather then play for their country even while smoke was still rising in lower Manhattan. Had Chauncy, Hamilton, and I think also Big Ben been on that team, Larry would have had a chance of building some cohession, of getting his message across to the rest of players about how he wanted them to play. Besides, you're forgetting for a second how much pressure those guys were under, pressure had nothing whatever to do with the fact that it was the Olympics.

    As for playing freshman, I'm not a betting man, but you name it, you're covered. No other reason, as in none, for Larry to have hired Ro. Also, Larry, 71, obviously needs to get it done, if at all, in a couple or three years, and has gone so far as insisting on SMU's commitment to giving the head job to Larry's hand-picked successor whom SMU is paying an ungodly sum, just so Larry don't get slammed as he normally does for leaving a team too early (Larry still gets a wrap for his penchant for leaving teams early, even though now nothing is too early). Finally, this is a new era, everybody goes after obvious one-and-doners, even K right? If even K does it, Larry won't? Yeah right.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Brown may "intend" to go out on top, but his chances of doing so at a backwater like SMU, with zero basketball history and tradition and lots of other obstacles, is essentially zero.

    Strickland was instrumental in the recruiting successes at Kentucky, but assistant Orlando Antigua has been HUGE as a recruiting force for Calipari. Whenever the kids talk about the connection they have at Kentucky, they're always talking about "Coach O."

    Calipari, with another big class coming in, and now with a championship under his belt, is far from toast. He has the most successful on-the-court program in the nation going right now. By far. And it's the destination of choice for a very large percentage of the top high school players in the land.
    Why, pray tell, did Calipari have a "head case" like Strickland on the bench if he wasn't a major selling card for landing the prize point guard. Why. And, who said that Strickland recruited anyone. He was a master at the point position, at playing it with glitter, and glitter sells, glitter gets the gold. Why wouldn't kids love Cal. He assembled amazing talent, embraced their aspirations on going pro after one year, and delivered many of them on time. He also provided them with the means to develop a pro level game, to be able to go high. Rod was chief among those means at point-guard U. Or, maybe Calipari hired Rod at Memphis and took him to Kentucky because Rod was a force for cohession, man could he develop guy's talents to play a team game. That must be it, and also to build character.

    My bet, after this year, Calipari himself "gets" to the next level while the "getting" is good.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The City of Brotherly Love
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Larry took the cheap shot? You're kidding right? Duke was up by about 30 (I think it was actually more) in the final 5 seconds of the game, Larry came from the right side along the baseline to the other side of the rim, Heyman came all the way down the lane at speed and horse collared Larry with two arms--Larry didn't get an inch off the ground and didn't get the ball up to the basket. Why'd Heyman do it? It was Larry, that's why.[/BA] The two had been going at it since high school, and not only was Artie twice Larry's size, but also he played mean--everything I've ever heard or read about the guy attests to it. Artie did get suspended from playing in the ACC tournament because of that gratuitous shot he took at Larry that started the whole thing, didn't he. Facts, facts are a killer, ain't they.
    First: Up by 5, not 30; just a minor difference. Second: Your description of the Heyman foul deviates dramatically from the video and the unbiased versions describing the event. Third: Heyman was officially suspended for going after UNC reserve Donnie Walsh during the melee. After reviewing the film, league officials acknowledged that Brown threw the first punch and he was suspended too. Fourth: Larry was and remains a narcissist and a truly loathsome person.

    One similarity between Calipari and Brown is they leave college programs on probation and disarray.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Why, pray tell, did Calipari have a "head case" like Strickland on the bench if he wasn't a major selling card for landing the prize point guard. Why. And, who said that Strickland recruited anyone. He was a master at the point position, at playing it with glitter, and glitter sells, glitter gets the gold. Why wouldn't kids love Cal. He assembled amazing talent, embraced their aspirations on going pro after one year, and delivered many of them on time. He also provided them with the means to develop a pro level game, to be able to go high. Rod was chief among those means at point-guard U. Or, maybe Calipari hired Rod at Memphis and took him to Kentucky because Rod was a force for cohession, man could he develop guy's talents to play a team game. That must be it, and also to build character.

    My bet, after this year, Calipari himself "gets" to the next level while the "getting" is good.
    An interesting point of view, but not sure I see any reasonable link here aside from Strickland.

    I'm with Tommy on this one. Cal isn't going anywhere, and Larry Brown won't have anything to do with it IMO.

    - Chillin

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Neither of the guys you mentioned has yet to distinguish himself as a team player; Larry coaches a team game; and he was thrown under the bus by two, or was it three, key players from his Detroit Championship team who "needed to rest" rather then play for their country even while smoke was still rising in lower Manhattan.
    Well, for the sake of the argument, let's assume you are right. I suppose one plan could be to bench those guys until they figure out how to be team players. Some coaches might coach them how to be team players. I've actually seen it done. With Olympians, no less.
    Besides, you're forgetting for a second how much pressure those guys were under, pressure had nothing whatever to do with the fact that it was the Olympics.
    You're probably better off restricting your comments to subjects you are more familiar with. You have absolutely no idea what I do or do not remember.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Calipari is talented at coaching talent, in particular at helping the-best of the best one and doners prepare for the pros and win big during their year of apprenticeship. The key, in my opinion, to his consistent success at recruiting these budding stars has been getting the top-rate point (who wouldn't want to play with a star point in a pro style game? And, I have to believe that the key to Calipari's considtent success in landing that point year in and year out has been Strickland.

    Strickland has left, and he is now with a coach, a developer of talent who can run circles around Cal. The combination of Strickland's ability to mentor a star quality point, to model and teach the dazzling parts of the game, has to have been Calipari's best selling point. Why else did he have Stricland around. If the opportunity to learn the game and play for one of the best teachers the game has ever known was not enough, Larry has Strickland to land the straw; Larry will stir the drink.

    Calipari might well be toast. Also, everything points to the fact that Larry intends to use this new gig to go out on top--to win it all again in his very last gig, one that it seems it was not easy for him to land. Yeap, Larry wants him another championship and then ride off into the sunset. I think everybody ought to sit up and take notice of this one.
    I have read this a couple of times and I have to believe that this is an Onion like post about Larry Brown.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Frankly, I for one would not surprised if Brown doesn't even last all of next season with SMU, much less finish on top of anything. I hope he brings a very accomplished assistant coach along to hold things together after he bails out on this latest of his long line of short stops. Chances are pretty good he won't stick Dallas out for very long.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Larry took the cheap shot? You're kidding right?
    Heyman's foul looks relatively tame in the video- perhaps hard, but certainly not how you describe it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    First: Up by 5, not 30; just a minor difference. Second: Your description of the Heyman foul deviates dramatically from the video and the unbiased versions describing the event. Third: Heyman was officially suspended for going after UNC reserve Donnie Walsh during the melee. After reviewing the film, league officials acknowledged that Brown threw the first punch and he was suspended too. Fourth: Larry was and remains a narcissist and a truly loathsome person.

    One similarity between Calipari and Brown is they leave college programs on probation and disarray.
    To offer madd to the perspective on Artie, several of Frank McGuire's pupils went after Artie from the time they first played in the freshman college games right on through however long they remained in college. While it's true that Artie played tough and at times didn't keep his emotions under control, I wonder how many people would have handled being spit upon repeatedly in a college career or hit hard enough in a freshman game to be taken to the local hospital. Most of these antics took place out of the view of the officials and went unseen and unpunished.

    Lest anyone think the dust up over Harrison Barnes going to Chapel Hill is a significant example of ill will generated while rivals recruited the same player, the ill will generated by Artie going to Duke after he first said he was going to Carolina generated volcanic overtones that ran through the Duke - Carolina rivalry in multiple encounters in both football and basketball and lasted for years.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    With respect to Cal v LB, we know that neither will have a salary cap, neither will have much interference from "academia," and neither will have much if anything in the way of restrictions. Both will be able to accurately portray the experience to recruits as "as close to the NBA as you can get until you are drafted."

    My question is: which has the higher recruiting "budget?"

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City

    LB cleaning house

    Unlike calismarmy, when LB cleans house, he offers the ousted players a chance to finish their degrees on academic scholarship

    http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...rc&eref=fromSI

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    First: Up by 5, not 30; just a minor difference. Second: Your description of the Heyman foul deviates dramatically from the video and the unbiased versions describing the event. Third: Heyman was officially suspended for going after UNC reserve Donnie Walsh during the melee. After reviewing the film, league officials acknowledged that Brown threw the first punch and he was suspended too. Fourth: Larry was and remains a narcissist and a truly loathsome person.

    One similarity between Calipari and Brown is they leave college programs on probation and disarray.
    This is what Artie hisownself had to say about the incident:

    With about seven seconds to go, he drove for the basket and I fouled him hard. He threw the ball at me and started swinging, and I cold-cocked him. I also hit Donnie Walsh [current president of the Indiana Pacers]. All three of us were suspended. It cost Duke the national championship because we had the best team in the country.

    You sure about this incident, 77devel, Sure?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Larry Brown? The punk who took a cheap shot at Art Heyman and set off a court riot?

    I hope he gets the same treatment Doh! got with the Smustangs.

    Feh.




    (Not that I hold a grudge or anything)
    See the Quote from Heyman himself about the incident. Seems Artie flat out has it different. It's okay to hold a grudge. With regard to Heman, next to Barry Krammer, he was my favorite college player. Guess.

Similar Threads

  1. Larry Brown fired in Charlotte!!!
    By DukieInBrasil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 10:44 AM
  2. Better Title Game Block
    By HCheek37 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
  3. Larry Brown to Stanford?
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
  4. DBR Block Party
    By ForeverBlowingBubbles in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •