Sending Money to London

I need to send several thousand dollars to a family member in London.

There is no super rush and I am not worried about currency exchange etc.

Just want the most efficient way to do this.
    Just mail a check?

Thanks
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I need to send several thousand dollars to a family member in London.

There is no super rush and I am not worried about currency exchange etc.

Just want the most efficient way to do this.
    Just mail a check?

Thanks
    SoCal
    Checks are very uncommon in Europe. They'd likely have difficulty depositing it.

If the person knows money is coming, I'd suggest a wire transfer. If you don't have the ability to do it online, your local branch should be able to help. The fee will probably be around $20. You'll just need the recipient's IBAN and SWIFT (equivalents for bank account number and routing number).

Dear Sir,

I act on behalf of the reputable son of the President of Nigeria in similar matters. Just send me your bank account number and we will be happy to initiate all necessary movement of funds for you, after you come to Lagos to accept a check in the amount of $47,000,000 from the National Energy Company of Nigeria.

Your urgent reply requested.

Just kidding. Your bank should be able to wire directly to your family member's bank in London. Despite the lack of rush, I would think this would be the easiest way to handle, and shouldn't cost significantly more than international shipping. You may even be able to do it online. FX will occur at whatever the spot rate is at the moment of the wire, so the recipient doesn't need to worry about fluctuation between the time you cut a check and the time it gets there. Sending a check may not be the ideal way to do this - at least in the U.S., the clearance time for a deposit of a check from a foreign bank is longer, and I think some banks might even charge a fee to deposit and effect the currency exchange on your behalf. Don't know if that prevails in the U.K. for a U.S. bank check, of course.

I figured it out

My daughter and her husband still maintain a US bank account so will just deposit to their account.

Thanks
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    My daughter and her husband still maintain a US bank account so will just deposit to their account.

Thanks
    SoCal
    That's really the easiest answer.

Tell them not to forget their FBAR filing!

I think it's incumbent upon you to hand deliver it. Nothing else will do.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think it's incumbent upon you to hand deliver it. Nothing else will do.

-jk
    That and disburse it over about two weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Checks are very uncommon in Europe. They'd likely have difficulty depositing it.
    Ah, not in England. They are very common. The bigger banks will take US checks, convert to pound (at a slightly unfriendly rate) and deposit them. It takes longer than it would here but it works. If you use a cashiers check it's a little quicker. Over the last two decades my family and I have done it numerous times for birthday and wedding gifts. It's never been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Dear Sir,

I act on behalf of the reputable son of the President of Nigeria in similar matters. Just send me your bank account number and we will be happy to initiate all necessary movement of funds for you, after you come to Lagos to accept a check in the amount of $47,000,000 from the National Energy Company of Nigeria.

Your urgent reply requested.
    This was spottable as illegitimate a mile away. Reason? Why, there are no egregious misspellings of routine words contained in the email.

Actually I've seen a form of scam involving needing to help a friend or family member in London. Often they'll contact you by facebook or something, but the general setup is that they were robbed and lost their cash and credit cards, but still have their passport. So they need to checkout of the hotel and catch their flight, but can't pay their hotel bill.

But don't worry - they'll pay you right back as soon as they get home!