Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Raleigh N&O article. Andre's Dad mentions the death of Andre's sister is still difficult.
    You know it has to be tough. I lost my mother when at the end of my sophmore year in HS, and I still have "days", and that was 1977. Just everyone say a prayer for him and give him time and space to do what he needs to do.

I do think that he is in the best place he can be. Not to say other schools and coaching staff would not be supportive or that Duke has a monopoly on caring coaches, but Coach K and our staff are sure to be there for Dre. I think I can say the same for the majority of our fan base as well.

Best of luck with whatever you are going through Dre. I hope Duke can help you get through this and look forward to seeing you again in Duke Blue whenever you are ready.

I hardly post but..

after hearing from the article that Andre's Dad says the death of his sister still hurts, I can only imagine what he is going through. While I have never lost a close family member, I lost my best friend who past 3 years ago this weekend. He was 33 at the time. My friend was full of life, and the first person I met when I moved to Illinois at age 6. We were best friends ever since. His passing still haunts me to this day, so I can only imagine what he is going through. I guess the reason I am posting this is to show my support for Andre. Keep strong Andre...there was a time when everyone said time heals all wounds and I brushed it off. I am here to say that 3 years later it is not as heavy but there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think of my best friend. You will figure it out and the main thing is to make sure you deal with your loss in a positive way. The sun will rise again Andre...I promise.

Forever Duke,

obsesseddukefan.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Andre's father speaks on the situation.

Link

Dawkins' father cleared up that mystery Friday morning when he told the Raleigh News & Observer that his son has the option to sit out next season to work through any lingering grief from the death of his older sister. Lacey Dawkins died at age 21 in a car accident in Dec. 2009 while driving from Columbus, Ohio, to Durham to see Duke play St. John's
    Last edited by Newton_14; 04-20-2012 at 02:12 PM.

I am all for whatever is best for Andre

I have been a Duke fan since 1948 and Andre is one of my all time favorites.

Whatever decision is made by Andre and the coaches is fine with me as he will always be a champion and Duke favorite for life.

He is family and let's give him space and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Andre's father speaks on the situation.

Link
    Thanks. One would hope that's the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Then there's all sorts of admonitions about speculating why he would redshirt, followed by speculation and full-on assertions that it is for "personal reasons," which is included no where in any official Duke statement, nor is it stated that way by the young man's own father, press paraphrasing notwithstanding. Seriously?
    Oh yeah... you're right on. Andre's father hasn't said anything about this. We should totally sit here an speculate.

The elder Andre Dawkins said Andre has the option of taking next season off to work through any lingering grief from the death of his sister. Lacey Dawkins was killed in a car accident on Dec. 5, 2009, while driving to a Duke-St. John’s basketball game.

“He’s dealt with a lot,” Dawkins’ father said. “It’s been tough. It hasn’t been easy at all. With the fast pace of playing high-level basketball, you don’t really get the time to deal with things like that.

“Everyone is different and so everyone might handle that situation differently. I appreciate the fact that’s an option for him if that’s going to be the case. That’s been really great.”
    WWJDD?

Whatever is in the best interest of Andre Dawkins the person is fine with me.

I have been fortunate

I have not lost a sibling or child and my parents lived fairly long lives.

Whatever Andre decides is best for Andre is fine with me.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I have not lost a sibling or child and my parents lived fairly long lives.

Whatever Andre decides is best for Andre is fine with me.

SoCal

Basketball is a wonderful game and I enjoy it immensely.

But baskeball is just a game and life is, well, life. Life issues trump basketball. I wish Andre the best in life and hope he can find his way to a good place.

Everyone, please give Andre space and stop speculating on what may be his reasons. They are personal, and not our business.

The players spend their playing lives under a microscope. It's the policy of this board to let them have as private a personal life as possible.

Regards,

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Since Duke may have a one year need, depending if Rodney joins, for example, and assuming Amile is not a 3 for at least a year skill wise, how about a grad student transfer?

http://www2.vteffect.com/sports/2012...ra-ar-1797415/

Normally VA Tech and Duke do not mix well but J T Thompson 6-foot-6, 225-pound Thompson, a Monroe, N.C., native, will look to transfer to get closer to his home in Monroe NC that apparently is about 3 hours from Durham depending on traffic, just past Charlotte, to be closer to his daughter.

He has had some injuries and is seeking a 6th year of eligibility and has graduated.

I would assume as a grad student he could go in conference if both parties wanted that (as in JT and Duke, not Seth Greenberg) and Duke could come up with a major not offered at VA Tech.

If healthy, JT was an outstanding defender but not much offensively as I recall.

JT would be out of eligibility in 2013 and not affect recruting or scholarship limits.
    Here's an update - @GoodmanCBS: Virginia Tech transfer JT Thompson told CBSSports he is looking at Charlotte and Winthrop. Will visit winthrop this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Here's an update - @GoodmanCBS: Virginia Tech transfer JT Thompson told CBSSports he is looking at Charlotte and Winthrop. Will visit winthrop this weekend.
    Not sure why this is in the Dawkins thread?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not sure why this is in the Dawkins thread?

Just in case anyone was wondering if we were interested in JT? Not that I thought we ever would be.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering if we were interested in JT? Not that I thought we ever would be.
    Yeah, maybe so. But I agree that I can't imagine we were going to get involved with him.

I second, third and quadrangle every one backing up and loving on Andre right now. I have lost siblings and understand this isn't something you recover from in a season, or a year or a life time. It is always there and I still and will always miss my Huggy and my Devil.

What Andre is dealing with, how he needs and any of his issues are not our business. At the risk of the terms of service, we all need to shut the I am a wanker for saying UP. and remember he brought home a little piece of historic hardware in 2010 and we love you for it 'dre. But we also want you to be healthy and find a path. So take your time. The more time at Duke, the better.