T&F ACC Outdoor Championships

For those that are interested, the T&F ACC championships started today, the person to keep an eye on is curtis beach in the decathlong

he won the first two events (100m+LJ) and had poorer HJ and SP (to be expected, but not sure what his PRs are in those events). He should make up a ton of points in the 1500 tomorrow.

He has an outside shot to qualify for the olympic team (an even better shot if bryan clay, the defending olympic champ, gets a free pass allowing 3 other americans to qualify...but i forget what hte actual rules are).
    1200. DDMF.

Thanks for posting.

Curtis leads by a small margin, 9 points over Gonzalo Barroilhet of Florida State, after the first day's 5 events.

http://www.flashresults.com/2012_Mee...DB_OEM_ID=4200

He had very good performances in the 100-meters, high jump, and 400 meters, and off-performances in the shot put and high jump.
    His shot put of 11.41 meters was well short of his ACC indoor heptathlon mark of 12.29 meters, and his high jump of 1.88 meters (6'2") was well below his indoor mark of 2.06 meters.
    46.96 for 400 meters as the 5th event of the day is a terrific time.

Wish Curtis well on Day 2, and as noted, his best event relative to the competition is the final event, the 1500 meters run.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks for posting.

Curtis leads by a small margin, 9 points over Gonzalo Barroilhet of Florida State, after the first day's 5 events.

He had very good performances in the 100-meters, high jump, and 400 meters, and off-performances in the shot put and high jump.
    His shot put of 11.41 meters was well short of his ACC indoor heptathlon mark of 12.29 meters, and his high jump of 1.88 meters (6'2") was well below his indoor mark of 2.06 meters.
    46.96 for 400 meters as the 5th event of the day is a terrific time.

Wish Curtis well on Day 2, and as noted, his best event relative to the competition is the final event, the 1500 meters run.
    I think that's his best event relative to anyone who has competed in the decathlon ever :P

Day two has more of the things he's not as strong at, but I think he is just so much stronger in the 1500 than the FSU guy....

does anyone have any data on what their best day 2 scores have been?

Curtis seems to have put up 3478 last year on day two of accs 3819 at Nationals and 3878 at NCAAs. Curtis' best day two based on PRs is 3910.

at the 2008 NCAA meet, Barrioleht put up 3049, taking his personal bests in each event, though gives him a 4126 on day 2.

If Barrioleht performs as well as he's capable, I don't think curtis can beat him, especially since curtis is probably about maxed out at the 1500 (imo).

Curtis, though, has a lot more competitions under his belt (it would seem) judging by how hard I had to look to find a day 2 score for him....so that most certainly factors into play. Either way, should be a great competition...and all the best to both competitors (but a little extra to curtis)
    1200. DDMF.

To illustrate the excellence of Curtis Beach's feats, his performance in two events today ranked high on the all-time Duke list in those events:

His long jump of 24-9.75 puts him second all-time
    His 400 meters time of 46.96 is the third best all-time for a Duke athlete (and Curtis already has the 2nd best)

Truly an elite athlete.

To illustrate the excellence of Curtis Beach's feats, his performance in two events today ranked high on the all-time Duke list in those events:

His long jump of 24-9.75 puts him second all-time
    His 400 meters time of 46.96 is the third best all-time for a Duke athlete (and Curtis already has the 2nd best)

Truly an elite athlete.
    For certain. The times he puts up in the 1500 are just nuts...I look forward to seeing how his second day compares to last years, to get an idea as to whether he has a shot to make the olympic team
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    For certain. The times he puts up in the 1500 are just nuts...I look forward to seeing how his second day compares to last years, to get an idea as to whether he has a shot to make the olympic team
    Based on a quick look at some scores, I'd say Curtis making the Olympic team for 2012 is a long shot for sure.

His best score so far has been 8084 in the 2011 NCAA meet. At the Olympic trials in 2008, the top three athletes each scored over 8500, with Bryan Clay scoring 8832 and going on to win the gold medal at the Olympics. The athletes that finished 4th through 7th in the US trials scored in the 8000 to 8200 range, so Curtis can definitely be competitive nationally, but unlikely to climb up to 8500+ at this point.

One good thing---Bryan Clay, who has won World and Olympic championships in the Decathlon, is not a big guy, somewhere in the range of 5'11" and 182 pounds. Curtis Beach's biggest area for improvement is in the throws---shot, javelin, and discus, but Clay shows that it can be done by a smaller to medium sized guy.

Assuming continual progression and an absence of injuries (which are big assumptions in track and field), I'd say Curtis could well be an Olympian, but it might be 2016 or beyond.

Based on a quick look at some scores, I'd say Curtis making the Olympic team for 2012 is a long shot for sure.

His best score so far has been 8084 in the 2011 NCAA meet. At the Olympic trials in 2008, the top three athletes each scored over 8500, with Bryan Clay scoring 8832 and going on to win the gold medal at the Olympics. The athletes that finished 4th through 7th in the US trials scored in the 8000 to 8200 range, so Curtis can definitely be competitive nationally, but unlikely to climb up to 8500+ at this point.

One good thing---Bryan Clay, who has won World and Olympic championships in the Decathlon, is not a big guy, somewhere in the range of 5'11" and 182 pounds. Curtis Beach's biggest area for improvement is in the throws---shot, javelin, and discus, but Clay shows that it can be done by a smaller to medium sized guy.

Assuming continual progression and an absence of injuries (which are big assumptions in track and field), I'd say Curtis could well be an Olympian, but it might be 2016 or beyond.

Clay had injury issues heading into the WF last year, so nothing is certain. He is also 32, and may be on the decline...there's never any way to know when it will happen...given roman sebrle was competing at the world championships last year at 37...so you never know.

With the defending olympic champion, defending world champion, and world record holder in the heptathlon in the US, it is a reach for curtis....but i'd love for him to make it interesting by needing to drop a ridiculous 1500 at the end to get on the team...THAT would be something to see.

Also will be interesting to see if his (presumable) work on throws has hindered his 1500 any

also of note, duke women are in 4th and 5th in the hep, both with shots to medal, and with 3 top 10 finishes in the 10k, the women are sitting in second place.
    1200. DDMF.

Clay had injury issues heading into the WF last year, so nothing is certain. He is also 32, and may be on the decline...there's never any way to know when it will happen...given roman sebrle was competing at the world championships last year at 37...so you never know.

With the defending olympic champion, defending world champion, and world record holder in the heptathlon in the US, it is a reach for curtis....but i'd love for him to make it interesting by needing to drop a ridiculous 1500 at the end to get on the team...THAT would be something to see.

Also will be interesting to see if his (presumable) work on throws has hindered his 1500 any

also of note, duke women are in 4th and 5th in the hep, both with shots to medal, and with 3 top 10 finishes in the 10k, the women are sitting in second place.
    And two freshmen, Ian Rock and Terrence Neal, are 6th and 10th in the decathlon. Coach Shawn Wilbourn is doing a great job with the multi-event athletes.
    This is another little niche of high achievement for Duke athletics, kind of like the way we've recently had elite athletes in fencing and diving.

I think that's his best event relative to anyone who has competed in the decathlon ever :P
    For some perspective, I was a distance runner at Duke. I would not have beaten Curtis at the 1500m.

I would have liked my chances at 5k.

Update

After 8 events of the decathlon, Curtis Beach is in 2nd place, but more than 400 points out of first.

Curtis has done okay today with 2nd place in the 110h (14.90), discus, and pole vault (15' 01")
    However, Gonzalo Barroilhet of Florida State has had a great day thusfar, with 3 first place performances in those events, including a very impressive 17' 4.5" pole vault.

What's left is the javelin and the 1500 meters.
    Curtis can close the gap but it seems unlikely he will be able to surpass Barroilhet.

Duke did get a first place in the woman's shot put from Michelle Anumba with a winning effort of 56' 4.5".

For those that are interested, the T&F ACC championships started today
    Michael Krone, ACC champion, high jump!!

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Michael Krone, ACC champion, high jump!!
    Duke went 1-2 in the high jump with fellow sophomore Tanner Anderson taking second.

Apparently, the two help and push each other, as noted in the goduke.com recap of the meet.

Sophomores Michael Krone and Tanner Anderson took one-two in the men’s high jump on the final day of the 2012 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Krone brought home the crown with three personal records and a final leap of 7-3.75(2.23) while Anderson cleared 7-2.5(2.20) for second place.

I was really pleased,” assistant coach Jan Ogilvie commented. “They are fun to coach and they are good for each other; they push each other. I told them they need to go out and jump clean and that’s what they did.”

After the event, the leaping duo, also roommates, was all smiles.