Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2012-13 Schedule Speculation

One of my favorite off-season threads. Inspired by the Delaware item on the front page, here's what we (well, at least I - others may know more) know so far:

[updated 5/9]

pre-season - Western Washington (DII champs) in Cameron
    November 13 - Champions Classic - against Kentucky in Atlanta (Georgia Dome, not Phillips Arena).
    November 22-24 - Battle for Atlantis - a very strong field, with Missouri, Stanford, Louisville, Memphis, Minnesota, VCU, and Northern Iowa
    November 27/28 (maybe December 4/5) - Home against Ohio State
    December 1 - Delaware in Cameron
    January 2 - Davidson in Charlotte
    date TBD - Temple in East Rutherford

Any other intel, add it in here. Those 5 November games against major opponents in November will be quite a gauntlet.

As a related point, here's how I see the B4A brackets shaking out:

Duke and Louisville will be slated on opposite sides of the bracket, as the preferred finals. I think Memphis and Missouri will be split as the intended semifinalists. After that, it's a bit of a toss up, although I have to believe that if K has anything to say about it, Stanford will be on the opposite side of us. For the sake of running out a prediction:

Duke-Minnesota
    Memphis-VCU

Louisville-Northern Iowa
    Missouri-Stanford
    Last edited by pfrduke; 05-09-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

UK

When we beat Kentucky maybe Mason can shave a "D" and an "E" in Nerlens haircut.

Thanks for starting this

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    November 27/28 (maybe December 4/5) - ACC/B1G challenge. Probably a home game this season - maybe a visit from Michigan/Indiana or a return trip from the Buckeyes?
    Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin are all due home games, so it would seem that Ohio State or Michigan State would be the likely bets for a trip to Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin are all due home games, so it would seem that Ohio State or Michigan State would be the likely bets for a trip to Cameron.
    Izzo vs K sounds like a good matchup

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Izzo vs K sounds like a good matchup
    I'm guessing it's OSU since Michigan State just played at Duke in the challenge at the end of 2010 (2011 season when Kyrie went off) and met again at MSG when K won 903 this past season.

Who we play is unimportant since we will...

watg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Fair point, although I think they don't always faithfully swap home/away. Either OSU or MSU would be great matchups, too.

Fair point, although I think they don't always faithfully swap home/away. Either OSU or MSU would be great matchups, too.
    Both would be rematches from 2011-2012 too, not that that really matters. Any chance we get a non-marque opponent?

Both would be rematches from 2011-2012 too, not that that really matters. Any chance we get a non-marque opponent?
    Minnesota would have been a possibility, but as fate would have it, Devils and Gophers are both in B4A.

My preference is Duke-Indiana in Indianapolis. The prospect of playing UK, UL, and IU, all away from CIS, delights me. Easy for me to say, of course. But that's what I hope for. Might lose all 3. But even 2-1 would lift Duke into top 4-5 pretty early.

Roll the dice. We're gold.

No chance. A primary purpose of the challenge is to create marquee match ups at the top. Duke, UNC, and NCSU will almost certainly get matched against top-tier Big Teneleventwelve squads. And given the Indiana, Michigan, OSU, and MSU all figure to be highly ranked (or, at the very least, ranked), I have to think that three of those teams will be playing tobacco road opponents.

Love the idea of playing Indiana at Conseco (although playing them in Bloomington would be pretty fun too).

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Duke To Host OSU In ACC-Big 10 Challenge

Per BDN Twitter, Watzone tweeted tonight he has confirmed that Duke will be hosting OSU in the Challenge. That was my wish so I am stoked. One, to see a maquee game in Cameron (the MSU game with Kyrie was incredible!), and two, I wanted the rematch to avenge this past seasons debacle.

So pencil another one in, and get your tickets early!
    Mark Watson ‏ @BlueDevilNation

Blue Devil Nation knows that #Duke will host Ohio State in Cameron in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge next season. Kentucky on the slate as well.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Per BDN Twitter, Watzone tweeted tonight he has confirmed that Duke will be hosting OSU in the Challenge. That was my wish so I am stoked. One, to see a maquee game in Cameron (the MSU game with Kyrie was incredible!), and two, I wanted the rematch to avenge this past seasons debacle.

Welcome back, Greg Paulus. This will be your least friendly visit to Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post

I'm good with that. Will be nice to get a revenge game in from last season. I still would have preferred Indiana (maybe they get NC State in a matchup of resurgent power/power-ish programs), but hosting the Buckeyes in Cameron is a pretty strong draw.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I'm good with that. Will be nice to get a revenge game in from last season. I still would have preferred Indiana (maybe they get NC State in a matchup of resurgent power/power-ish programs), but hosting the Buckeyes in Cameron is a pretty strong draw.
    With this matchup it does seem likely that State will be heading up to Assembly Hall for another rematch. That has the chance to be a big time game as well if State brings their A game.

Duke will play Davidson January 2 at Bobcats Arena in Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by davidson View Post
    Duke will play Davidson January 2 at Bobcats Arena in Charlotte.
    Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, I'm updating the top of this thread as we continue to get schedule news.

interestng tidbit

The following Katz blog includes an interesting ACC-schedule tidbit. Check out the last sentence in the first paragraph, on NCSt's schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...urney-matchups

Seems there are 3 possibilities:

1. The 18-game ACC schedule is finalized, and Katz has seen it. [I sure haven't seen it, and don't expect to for awhile. It's not on the ACC's official site.]
    2. Gottfried has seen it, and revealed to Katz some of the Pack's key home-and-homes.
    3. Katz thinks an 18-game schedule means full round robin; i.e., Katz can't count.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    The following Katz blog includes an interesting ACC-schedule tidbit. Check out the last sentence in the first paragraph, on NCSt's schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...urney-matchups

Seems there are 3 possibilities:

1. The 18-game ACC schedule is finalized, and Katz has seen it. [I sure haven't seen it, and don't expect to for awhile. It's not on the ACC's official site.]
    2. Gottfried has seen it, and revealed to Katz some of the Pack's key home-and-homes.
    3. Katz thinks an 18-game schedule means full round robin; i.e., Katz can't count.
    I think #3 is most likely. It is possible that the home-and-home partners have been decided but you would think that would leak quickly in this day and age. That being said, an 18 game schedule with 12 teams means 7 home and homes and only 4 teams that you play just once. Nice quirk in the scheduling before Syracuse and Pitt join. This year's "regular season champ" will be the truest regular season champ since the ACC expanded from 9 to 12.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    It is possible that the home-and-home partners have been decided but you would think that would leak quickly in this day and age. That being said, an 18 game schedule with 12 teams means 7 home and homes and only 4 teams that you play just once. Nice quirk in the scheduling before Syracuse and Pitt join. This year's "regular season champ" will be the truest regular season champ since the ACC expanded from 9 to 12.
    FYI - Here's link to Andy Katz blog on today's ESPN web page, containing what I consider to be real, if still tantalizingly way-incomplete, news.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

As readers will see from the Katz blog, the ACC schedule for 2012-13 is known at least to the coaches. Per tbyers11's comment, you'd think it would have leaked, but instead it's just dripping, very slowly. Katz is a dripper, for which I am, unexpectedly, grateful.

A key statement from the Katz piece - and here I pause to give props to tbyers11 for prescience and/or common sense logic - is this: "Each team will play seven teams twice next season and four teams once. Two of those single games will be at home and two on the road."

Other bits of news [if Katz, Gottfried, Turgeon, and Brownell are reliable]:

1. NCSt gets Duke, UNC, and FSU twice.
    2. Md gets Duke, UNC, FSU, and UVa twice.
    3. Clemson's 4 singles are UNC and Wake at home, Duke and MD away.
    4. So, by clever detective work, we know that in upcoming season, 2012-13, Duke plays
    • UNC, NCSt, and MD H/A
    • Clemson H

Unbalanced mess will presumably be messy. Stay tuned. Last sentence from tbyers11 in tag quote merits conversation.