View Poll Results: Which 5 films will make the most at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers

56 90.32%
  • Dark Shadows

4 6.45%
  • Battleship

8 12.90%
  • Men in Black 3

41 66.13%
  • Snow White and the Huntsman

2 3.23%
  • Prometheus

13 20.97%
  • Madagascar 3

22 35.48%
  • Brave

34 54.84%
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

2 3.23%
  • GI Joe II

0 0%
  • Amazing Spider-Man

38 61.29%
  • Ice Age: Continental Drift

8 12.90%
  • Dark Knight Rises

58 93.55%
  • Total Recall

1 1.61%
  • The Bourne Legacy

10 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

non-mainstream

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Non-mainstream movies that I am excited about--

Killer Joe: A really dark comedy about a man (Emile Hirsch) who hires a corrupt cop (Matt McConaughey) to kill his mother, but the cop falls for his sister. It is being called the finest performance of McCon's career. It is rated NC-17, which means they are more interested in the art than the boxoffice.

Ruby Sparks - Paul Dano plays a nerdy writer who is really successful but lousy with women... until one of the female characters he is writing suddenly comes to life. The female lead, Zoe Kazan, is Paul Dano's real-life girlfriend and she also wrote the screenplay. She is tremendously talented and I am hoping this launches her to some mainstream success. Trailer here.

Safety Not Guaranteed - A reporter (Jake Johnson, who is great on New Girl) finds a strange want-ad and gets one of his associates (Aubrey Plaza, who is also great on Parks and Rec) to answer it. The ad reads: "Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before." I think the trailer looks awesome. This won a screenwriting award at Sundance and was nominated for the Sundance Grand Jury prize, so I am betting it is pretty good. As you may be aware, there is an internet meme that this is based upon. I am sure we will get a "Star Wars Kid" or a "Numa numa" movie next.

I think Seeking a Friend of the End of the World looks interesting too, though it stars Steve Carell and Kiera Knightly, so it is not exactly under the radar. Same with Ted, which could be hysterical but also has too many big name stars (Mark Whalberg, Mila Kunis, Seth McFarland) to be under the radar.

-Jason "I want to be excited about Beasts of the Southern Wild, which blew away audiences as Sundance... but I'm not" Evans
    Some nice suggestions. The only one already on my radar was Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, but I have mixed feelings about that -- absolutely love Kiera Knightly, but I've never liked Steve Carell (either TV or movies). I definitely plan on checking out Safety Not Guaranteed.

May I add one suggestion: Gold Bless America, which opens Friday (May 11) with a no-name cast (the star Joel Murray is best known as Greg's best friend and co-worker in Dharma and Greg). Directed by the infamous Bobcat Goldthwait. Based on the trailer, it's a VERY dark comedy:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/god_...2011/trailers/

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... May I add one suggestion: Gold Bless America, which opens Friday (May 11) with a no-name cast (the star Joel Murray is best known as Greg's best friend and co-worker in Dharma and Greg). Directed by the infamous Bobcat Goldthwait. Based on the trailer, it's a VERY dark comedy:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/god_...2011/trailers/
    Somebody has tapped into my brain!!!!

I HAVE to see this movie.

I hope he kills: someone in the left lane driving at or slower than the flow of traffic

I fear his accomplice's suggestion that he kill a Kardashian was just a tease

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Non-mainstream movies that I am excited about--

Killer Joe: A really dark comedy about a man (Emile Hirsch) who hires a corrupt cop (Matt McConaughey) to kill his mother, but the cop falls for his sister. It is being called the finest performance of McCon's career. It is rated NC-17, which means they are more interested in the art than the boxoffice.

Ruby Sparks - Paul Dano plays a nerdy writer who is really successful but lousy with women... until one of the female characters he is writing suddenly comes to life. The female lead, Zoe Kazan, is Paul Dano's real-life girlfriend and she also wrote the screenplay. She is tremendously talented and I am hoping this launches her to some mainstream success. Trailer here.

Safety Not Guaranteed - A reporter (Jake Johnson, who is great on New Girl) finds a strange want-ad and gets one of his associates (Aubrey Plaza, who is also great on Parks and Rec) to answer it. The ad reads: "Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before." I think the trailer looks awesome. This won a screenwriting award at Sundance and was nominated for the Sundance Grand Jury prize, so I am betting it is pretty good. As you may be aware, there is an internet meme that this is based upon. I am sure we will get a "Star Wars Kid" or a "Numa numa" movie next.

I think Seeking a Friend of the End of the World looks interesting too, though it stars Steve Carell and Kiera Knightly, so it is not exactly under the radar. Same with Ted, which could be hysterical but also has too many big name stars (Mark Whalberg, Mila Kunis, Seth McFarland) to be under the radar.

-Jason "I want to be excited about Beasts of the Southern Wild, which blew away audiences as Sundance... but I'm not" Evans
    I'm interested in "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel", directed by John Madden ("Shakespeare in Love", "Proof") and starring Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson, Maggie Smith, and Bill Nighy
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Avengers Still Rolling

So Avengers made $18M more on Monday and $17M more on Tuesday.

OK...go back and read that sentence again.

Those numbers are SICK! It's the middle of the week, while school is still in session, and this movie just did more on Monday and Tuesday than any movie has done from Friday - Sunday since March 30th - April 1st (the 2nd weekend of Hunger Games). And again, on a Monday and Tuesday after a $200M opening weekend.

Some other points:

1) The movie was initially forecasted at $200.3M for the weekend (this on Sunday morning), but the final actual was $207M. They are normally spot on for these estimates, which means the demand was even higher than they thought.

2) The movie now stands (through Tuesday) at $244M, and it's been out 5 days.

3) I predict it does another $90M this Friday through Sunday, which would be a huge, huge opening for a movie just starting. It will definitely be north of $350M by the end of this week.

4) Repeat viewers are driving these numbers, and they will continue to do so...and the hype and positive reviews are bringing in more people. My wife said to me yesterday, "Can we go see the Avengers this weekend?" About dropped my fork. Yeah, she likes movies like this, but usually waits several weeks so the crowds aren't too big. She wants to go see this now. We are taking our three kids as well, on Saturday.

5) I felt this movie would make $600M after I first saw it. Now I'm convinced of that. It will almost certainly pass Titanic, and might actually be able to catch Avatar at $760M. It gets no competition this weekend, a little next weekend with Battleship, then more with MIB3....but that's still Memorial Day Weekend.

6) My prediction for box office (just weekends)

This weekend: $90M
    Next weekend: $65M
    Memorial Day Weekend (including the Monday): $60M

That would mean that by the end of May, the film is sitting right around $600M. Wow!

7) This movie is now a lock for the #1 grosser of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    ... It gets no competition this weekend, a little next weekend with Battleship, then more with MIB3....but that's still Memorial Day Weekend.

6) My prediction for box office (just weekends)

This weekend: $90M
    Next weekend: $65M
    Memorial Day Weekend (including the Monday): $60M...
    Will Avengers be strong enough to impact Battleship (I think so) and MIB3?

impact

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Will Avengers be strong enough to impact Battleship (I think so) and MIB3?
    Just personal opinion, but I think the answer to that question depends on the quality of Battleship (in the eyes of its key young male demographic). As you guys have noted, repeat viewers are driving Avengers to its startling box office.

I think -- just guessing mind you -- that the teen audience will give Battleship a look -- since its so tailored to them (the previews make it look like the next installment of Transformers). Then the question becomes, do they go back to Battleship for a second viewing or will they see it, shrug and get in line for another shot at The Avengers?

It's possible that if Battleship really hits its audience, it could slow down The Avengers' momentum ... not saying it will match Avengers overall or even prevent it from becoming the No. 1 movie of the summer. I'm only saying they are both targeted at the same audience ... and if Battleship scores, it cuts into Avenger's re-watchers.

The US Navy doesn't even have battleships anymore! I just can't get past that fact for some reason...maybe it's because it underscores the complete and utter laziness of Hollywood these days.

battleships

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The US Navy doesn't even have battleships anymore! I just can't get past that fact for some reason...maybe it's because it underscores the complete and utter laziness of Hollywood these days.
    Wait a minute ... THAT is what bothers you -- that the US Navy doesn't have any more active battleships?

In a (movie) world of norse gods battling for and against super heroes like the hulk and iron man ... in a (movie) world of x-men and batmen and transformers and alien threats to the Earth in another galaxy, you can't swallow a movie that includes an active battleship? Personally, I swallowed Owen Wilson stepping back in time to Paris of the 1920s. I swallowed a movie that dealt with the final battle between the teenage warlock and the greatest evil wizard of all time. I swallowed a movie about a future world in which teenagers fight to the death for the amusement of the TV population. I swallowed a movie based on a ride at Disneyworld ... I swallowed a movie about a group of teenage filmmakers who helped free an alien monster from the evil US governemtn.

Yeah, I know that the four Iowa battleships have all been turned into museum ships. And while I'm not particularly anxious to see Battleship, I really don't hae a hard time swallowing the idea that we still have a battleship on active service.

Wait a minute ... THAT is what bothers you -- that the US Navy doesn't have any more active battleships?

In a (movie) world of norse gods battling for and against super heroes like the hulk and iron man ... in a (movie) world of x-men and batmen and transformers and alien threats to the Earth in another galaxy, you can't swallow a movie that includes an active battleship? Personally, I swallowed Owen Wilson stepping back in time to Paris of the 1920s. I swallowed a movie that dealt with the final battle between the teenage warlock and the greatest evil wizard of all time. I swallowed a movie about a future world in which teenagers fight to the death for the amusement of the TV population. I swallowed a movie based on a ride at Disneyworld ... I swallowed a movie about a group of teenage filmmakers who helped free an alien monster from the evil US governemtn.

Yeah, I know that the four Iowa battleships have all been turned into museum ships. And while I'm not particularly anxious to see Battleship, I really don't hae a hard time swallowing the idea that we still have a battleship on active service.
    I'm actually with El Diablo on this one. I'd almost rather, if they absolutely insisted on using a Battleship (so that they could market the game, Battleship) to fight an alien force, that they just acknowledge that there are no active battleships, dredge up the Yamamoto, trick it out, put a wave motion gun on the front of it, upgrade the Star Blazers theme song, and launch it on a desperate mission to destroy the alien homeworld of Gamalon.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Ahem... no one is going to lay a finger on Gamilon(and, btw, it was the Yamato... Yamamoto was the Japanese naval commander in WW II).

Now, if you would be interested in some assistance with Zordar and his comet, give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Ahem... no one is going to lay a finger on Gamilon(and, btw, it was the Yamato... Yamamoto was the Japanese naval commander in WW II).

Now, if you would be interested in some assistance with Zordar and his comet, give me a call.
    Hey...I want some credit for winging that and getting as close as I did 30 years after being an avid Star Blazers watcher.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'm actually with El Diablo on this one. I'd almost rather, if they absolutely insisted on using a Battleship (so that they could market the game, Battleship) to fight an alien force, that they just acknowledge that there are no active battleships, dredge up the Yamamoto, trick it out, put a wave motion gun on the front of it, upgrade the Star Blazers theme song, and launch it on a desperate mission to destroy the alien homeworld of Gamalon.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Hey, I never said it made sense as to why this bothered me more than those other examples. Maybe when it comes to the willful suspension of disbelief, I guess I subconsciously draw the line between artistic creativity and sheer laziness, and for some unknown reason I stuck this instance in the latter category.

I just read a plot synopsis though, and I am okay with it now. I don't want to provide any spoilers, but the filmmakers do address it. So I am now fully at peace with this film, although I still don't plan on seeing it.

Meal Jar, SmartDevil, TampaDuke, and trey... I am sorry to report but you lose.

Dark Shadows did about a half a million bucks from midnight showings last night. Most experts say it is on course to about a $30 million opening weekend. The odds that it makes it to even $120 million are extremely slim.

-Jason "it deserves even less... probably Tim Burton's worst film" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

jason, what are the estimates for the avengers? will it break a billion over this next weekend? (since its pretty much "smashed" every record so far?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    jason, what are the estimates for the avengers? will it break a billion over this next weekend? (since its pretty much "smashed" every record so far?
    Not Jason, obviously, but assuming a slightly-greater-than-50% drop from opening weekend, Avengers would make about $100 million this upcoming weekend. With no new direct competition, that seems reasonable. That would put Avengers at about $370 million domestic. I'm not sure how to guesstimate international, but Avengers currently at $533 million. There are no big new international markets opening, but it seems reasonable to project Avengers to make another $100 million or more overseas this upcoming weekend, which would make it cross the $1 billion dollar mark total.

The boxofficemojo.com forecast for Avengers is $95.4 million (based on the rationale of the A+ cinemascore giving it a strong hold, but anticipating a greater than 50% decline as a lock since the opening was so big).

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Most estimates are that Avengers will come up a little short of $100 mil at the domestic boxoffice this weekend, probably in the $90-95 mil range. Disney seems to think that it has a decent shot at reaching $1 bil worldwide by Sunday, but it will be close. No slam dunk.

It is not only smashing record, I have a hard time figuring out what will break those records. Dark Knight Rises won't because it is not in 3D. Without the 3D upcharge, it is pretty much impossible (right now) to get to $205 mil. Of course, I expect DKR to do much bigger IMAX business than Avengers will as Nolan shot large portions of the film with IMAX cameras and I suspect it will be some of the best IMAX footage we have ever seen.

-Jason "a friend of mine, Matt Goldberg, wrote a nice column about why Marvel NEEDS Whedon to do the Avengers sequel -- worth a read" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

-Jason "a friend of mine, Matt Goldberg, wrote a nice column about why Marvel NEEDS Whedon to do the Avengers sequel -- worth a read" Evans
    Considering this is Joss Whedon, I'm predicting he gets rehired just so the execs can cancel the movie in the middle of production for no apparent reason.

bcsu, Brian12215, CameronBornAndBred, cato, dukefanSD, ncexnyc, Olympic Fan, Tommac

Battleship voters, you are gonna lose.

I saw Battleship last night. It was terrible. well, it wasn't totally terrible. It was just mindless. I mean, even if you check your brain at the door and just try to soak up the silly action, you would still find it mindless. It was laughable at times -- and not because it was trying to be laughable.

Taylor Kitch is godawful. Dude has now been the lead in two $200+ mill budget films and was horrible in each of them (Battleship and John Carter). If he is doing dinner theater in an old folks home in Florida in 6 months, I won't feel sorry for him.

Two stories about the screening: I had an extra ticket to see it. I asked my two sons (11 and 15) if they wanted to go. They both said, "naah, that movie looks terrible." If this flick ain't tracking with 11 and 15 year old boys, it is in huge trouble because it ain't gonna track with anyone else. The other story is that when I sat down with all the other critics to see the movie, every one of them was in a down/bad mood. I asked a couple friends about it and they said, "none of us are excited to see this." I agreed with them as I was quite pessimistic about the film.

Look, it is not as bad as Transformers 2 and I suppose the success of the Transformers movies should give me pause about predicting anything negative about a mindless alien invasion movie based on childhood toys... but this just does not feel the same. I think word of mouth will be so-so at best and I think there is not a lot of excitement or buzz for this film to start with. I'll be mildly surprised if it has a $50 mil opening weekend, which is probably the minimum threshold you need to get to $200 mil unless you have incredible word of mouth.

-Jason "I think that after everyone felt great from seeing Avengers, it hurts the next sci-fi film because the comparison makes that film look even worse" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    bcsu, Brian12215, CameronBornAndBred, cato, dukefanSD, ncexnyc, Olympic Fan, Tommac

Battleship voters, you are gonna lose.
    My fate was sealed when I left Avengers off my list. 40.gif
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."