View Poll Results: Which 5 films will make the most at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers

56 90.32%
  • Dark Shadows

4 6.45%
  • Battleship

8 12.90%
  • Men in Black 3

41 66.13%
  • Snow White and the Huntsman

2 3.23%
  • Prometheus

13 20.97%
  • Madagascar 3

22 35.48%
  • Brave

34 54.84%
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

2 3.23%
  • GI Joe II

0 0%
  • Amazing Spider-Man

38 61.29%
  • Ice Age: Continental Drift

8 12.90%
  • Dark Knight Rises

58 93.55%
  • Total Recall

1 1.61%
  • The Bourne Legacy

10 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Top Movies of Summer (poll)

Ok people, you know how this works!

Vote for your 5 picks for the films that will earn the most money at the domestic boxoffice of the summer. Please vote for 5! No more, no less! If you go 4-for-4, you do not beat the person who went 4-for-5. Your goal is to get all 5 of the films right.

You can pick any film released between May 1 and Sept 1. If it is obvious that the contest is over by September 1, then we will close the contest early, but, if it is close, we will consider boxoffice totals all the way through Sunday September 30th. I doubt it will take that long to figure out our top 5.

Here are the films I am putting in the poll. Please post your picks and discuss. If you want to vote for some other film that is not in the poll, just put that in a post.

Avengers
    Dark Shadows
    Battleship
    Men In Black 3
    Snow White and the Huntsman
    Prometheus
    Madagascar 3
    Brave
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
    GI Joe II
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Ice Age: Continental Drift
    Dark Knight Rises
    Total Recall
    The Bourne Legacy

I considered but did not include the following films. If you want to vote for them, feel free:

Rock of Ages
    Ted
    The Dictator
    What to Expect When You Are Expecting
    That's My Boy
    Neighborhood Watch
    The Expendables 2

Have fun!

-Jason "all picks must be in by Noon on May 3rd" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I have 6 films I am considering for my Top 5... I won't tell you which. I really think there are only 2 mortal locks. Most years there are more than that.

-Jason "I'll give you a hint, the two mortal locks both involve superheroes" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I went with (in order of prediction top to bottom)
    Dark Knight Rises
    Brave
    MIB3
    Prometheus
    Battleship

I'm pretty happy with my top four; the fifth one is a total tossup. Out of country reviews for Battleship say it's mindless eye candy, so that's the making of a perfect summer blockbuster. There is little chance that DKR does not finish in the top 5, a long awaited Pixar film also is a sure fire winner. MIB3 has been a long time coming, and it looks fun, so I think it's safe. Prometheus is another winner in my mind too...it looks like it oozes the essence of the classic Alien movies (even though it's only related to them, not a prequel).
    I know Avengers will do well, I just don't see it as top 5, but it will be close. The rest...meh. I'm sure they'll do well enough but I get that "I'll wait for it on DVD" feeling with them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

3 Super Hero Movies

My top 5 are:

Dark Knight Rises
    Avengers
    Amazing Spider Man
    Brave
    MiB3

I think the 3 superhero movies and the Pixar movie are locks. The 5th one is up for grabs so I went with the franchise anchored by Will Smith.

My top 5:

Avengers
    Dark Knight Rises
    Amazing Spider Man
    MiB3
    Madagascar 3

3 super hero movies, a popular franchise that has been gone for awhile, and a popular kids movie.

Does MiB come out over the 4th of July?

There was a time when the Fresh Prince OWNED that weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    My top 5:

Avengers
    Dark Knight Rises
    Amazing Spider Man
    MiB3
    Madagascar 3

3 super hero movies, a popular franchise that has been gone for awhile, and a popular kids movie.
    1,2,3,6 and 7

GRRR If I would have known how awesome the previews for Brave would have been I would have taken that over Madgascar 3! I still do not see how Ted got top 5... SMH!

I, like Jason, had 1,2,3,4,7. I tried to place my faith in my fellow voters by picking the five most popular on the last day of voting, but no one could have seen Ted beating out Madagascar 3 AND Will Smith's return. And even if someone did, not enough would have to throw this poll off enough to have helped me. Ah well, so be it. Did anyone go other and pick Ted?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Did anyone go other and pick Ted?
    Nope.

However, I did list it as one of the "Other" contenders back in April when this all began. It was listed as a film to consider along with the following riff-raff:

Rock of Ages
    Ted
    The Dictator
    That's My Boy
    Neighborhood Watch
    The Expendables 2
    This was before Neighborhood Watch got changed to just The Watch. My bet is that more people considered The Dictator and Rock of Ages than those who considered Ted.

But, then again, no one saw The Hangover or Wedding Crashers or Bridesmaids coming either. The raunchy comedy is one of the hardest places to predict success... but when one hits, it hits BIG!

-Jason "I am glad no one voted for That's My Boy... as I would have had to hunt them down and kill them" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Nope.

However, I did list it as one of the "Other" contenders back in April when this all began. It was listed as a film to consider along with the following riff-raff:

Rock of Ages
    Ted
    The Dictator
    That's My Boy
    Neighborhood Watch
    The Expendables 2

This was before Neighborhood Watch got changed to just The Watch. My bet is that more people considered The Dictator and Rock of Ages than those who considered Ted.

But, then again, no one saw The Hangover or Wedding Crashers or Bridesmaids coming either. The raunchy comedy is one of the hardest places to predict success... but when one hits, it hits BIG!

-Jason "I am glad no one voted for That's My Boy... as I would have had to hunt them down and kill them" Evans
    OK, then on to the truly critical (pun intended) question:

Which was the WORST movie of the summer? Not just disappointing, but outright noxious. Who wins the Razzie?

It seems the candidates are:

The Watch
    That's My Boy
    Seeking a Friend
    Rock of Ages
    Abe Lincoln
    Battleship

I didn't see any of them. Although I think I saw That's My Boy on sale at the drug store for $2.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    OK, then on to the truly critical (pun intended) question:

Which was the WORST movie of the summer? Not just disappointing, but outright noxious. Who wins the Razzie?

It seems the candidates are:

The Watch
    That's My Boy
    Seeking a Friend
    Rock of Ages
    Abe Lincoln
    Battleship

I didn't see any of them. Although I think I saw That's My Boy on sale at the drug store for $2.
    From a purely personal perspective I have to vote for "That's My Boy". I was somewhat interested in "Seeking a Friend", "The Watch" and "Abe Lincoln" before the reviews came out. I had no interest in "Rock of Ages" or "Battleship" because of the subject matter. I would walk two blocks out of my way to avoid the theater where "That's My Boy" was playing. Adam Sandler has solidified his position as the stinker superstar, a position I once thought Eddie Murphy had locked up.

"Searching for Sugar Man," if it were a fictional movie would be considered schlock. As a real life, tremendously constructed documentary, one might want to see it before casting a vote.

Hey! Here's what I said about Ted: "And I guess if I had to pick a "Bridesmaids" kind of sleeper it would be "Ted." It's an adult romantic, dark comedy, and if it gets good reviews and good word of mouth it could have legs because it's the only one out there like that."

That's not picking it...but it at least was covering the possibility (which proved to be 100% correct...man, sure wish I had picked it).

As for worst....it's definitely "That's My Boy." I'm not sure what's gotten into Sandler lately. It's almost like he's doing it on purpose - just sticking his middle finger right at everyone.

But, I think a close second would be Abe Lincoln. That movie could have been great. Instead it was just really, really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I went with (in order of prediction top to bottom)
    Dark Knight Rises
    Brave
    MIB3
    Prometheus
    Battleship

I know Avengers will do well, I just don't see it as top 5, but it will be close.
    It generally takes around $220 mil or so to make the Top 5 of summer. I tell you what. Lets you and I make a bet.

I bet that Avengers is at $200 million after its second weekend. Care to take the other side of that action?

-Jason "Avengers is a mortal lock. It will make more than $300 mil. Joss Whedon is too good a director and there is too much pent up excitement over this film" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It generally takes around $220 mil or so to make the Top 5 of summer. I tell you what. Lets you and I make a bet.

I bet that Avengers is at $200 million after its second weekend. Care to take the other side of that action?

-Jason "Avengers is a mortal lock. It will make more than $300 mil. Joss Whedon is too good a director and there is too much pent up excitement over this film" Evans
    I have no doubt that it will rack up the dough, hell it's already listed for pre-sales on the theaters here, but it's opening so early. (I know, it's a great weekend, past Spideys have gobbled it up.) So it will have to sit at the top of the heap all summer. It's easily possible, but the season is long. Battleship may bomb, but I'm expecting it to have a similar reaction that Transformers got and that movie didn't do so shabbily either, so it's my dark-horse smash of the summer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

... Here are the films I am putting in the poll. ..

-Jason "all picks must be in by Noon on May 3rd" Evans

Avengers- Sequel/derivative
    Dark Shadows - Reboot of 70s TV
    Battleship - Derived from 70s board (bored?) game
    Men In Black 3- Sequel few were clamoring for
    Snow White and the Huntsman - Reboot of Disney classic, derivative of current TV show
    Prometheus - Prequel? - based on setting of Alien trilogy
    Madagascar 3 - Sequel
    Brave - Wait, dare I say ORIGINAL? But VERY familiar.
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - An original take on Vampire movies
    GI Joe II - Sequel
    Amazing Spider-Man - Reboot
    Ice Age: Continental Drift - Sequel
    Dark Knight Rises - Sequel to reboot
    Total Recall - Reboot
    The Bourne Legacy - Reboot/sequel (rebourne?)

Sigh. Hollywood.

invention

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Avengers- Sequel/derivative
    Dark Shadows - Reboot of 70s TV
    Battleship - Derived from 70s board (bored?) game
    Men In Black 3- Sequel few were clamoring for
    Snow White and the Huntsman - Reboot of Disney classic, derivative of current TV show
    Prometheus - Prequel? - based on setting of Alien trilogy
    Madagascar 3 - Sequel
    Brave - Wait, dare I say ORIGINAL? But VERY familiar.
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - An original take on Vampire movies
    GI Joe II - Sequel
    Amazing Spider-Man - Reboot
    Ice Age: Continental Drift - Sequel
    Dark Knight Rises - Sequel to reboot
    Total Recall - Reboot
    The Bourne Legacy - Reboot/sequel (rebourne?)

Sigh. Hollywood.
    While I agree -- and have moaned about the lack of invention myself in the past -- I would suggest that there are some fairly original ideas out there. C'mon -- Abe Lincoln as a vampire killer ... that's got to count as a fresh take on an old genre. Now, next summer when you have George Washington vs. the Mummy and Franklin Roosevelt taking on the Werewolves-- THAT will be worth complaining about.

I think summer is becoming more and more a time for safe films. We see the imaginative stuff in the fall and winter.

There are some different films this summer, but they don't make the blockbuster list. I am looking forward to Lincoln vs. the vampires, but I don't think it makes $200. I will definitely see Woody Allen's To Rome With Love. I'm not interested but Rock of Ages, People Like Us and Your Sister's Sister are all original stories. Sleeper comedy hit: What to Exopect When You're Expecting. There's Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdon and John Madden's The Best Exotoc Marigold Hotel. And not sure I want to see a movie about a male stripper, but Steven Soderberg's Magic Mike is getting some buzz. Not sure about Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, but I'm up for seeing Keira Knightly in a comedy about the end of the world.

I join your sigh though in the sense that all those interesting films will be buried at the box office by the sequals and comic book movies.

For the record, I think there are two mortal locks for the top five: Avengers and Dark Knight. After that, I voted for MiB3 (just on the strength of the franchise), Prometheus and Battleship (ugh!). Maybe the kiddies can push Brave or Madagascar into the $200 million range, but I'm not counting on it. I'm really interested in the re-boots -- Spiderman, Total Recall and Bourne ... not having the original stas will -- I think -- keep them out of the top five.

But I haven't won one of these yet, so don't go by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    For the record, I think there are two mortal locks for the top five: Avengers and Dark Knight.
    Ding ding ding ding

-JE

Here are my top five:
    Dark Knight
    Avengers
    Brave
    Prometheus
    Battleship

Dark Knight and Avengers could easily swap places, but absence makes the heart grow fonder, which is why I've got DK as my #1.

You definitely need a kids movie and this one is the freshest of the bunch.

Prometheus seems like a thinking man's sci-fi movie. The 1st week will be extremely important for this flick, if it gets people talking the numbers will be good.

Battleship definitely seems like a spin on Transformers and those movies have done quite well. I realize I'm taking a huge gamble going against the Spidey flick, but I have a feeling a reboot at this point in time won't sit well with the fans, especially if they are toning down the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    For the record, I think there are two mortal locks for the top five: Avengers and Dark Knight.
    Ding ding ding ding

-JE
    Am I the only one who sees 3 absolute locks? Avengers, Dark Knight and Spider Man.

The first two I think are obvious to everybody but why not Spidey? He will get the same audience plus the kids all love Spider Man so he gets that draw as well. I do not think he will top the other two but I think he def gets top 5 easy.