View Poll Results: Which 5 films will make the most at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers

56 90.32%
  • Dark Shadows

4 6.45%
  • Battleship

8 12.90%
  • Men in Black 3

41 66.13%
  • Snow White and the Huntsman

2 3.23%
  • Prometheus

13 20.97%
  • Madagascar 3

22 35.48%
  • Brave

34 54.84%
  • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

2 3.23%
  • GI Joe II

0 0%
  • Amazing Spider-Man

38 61.29%
  • Ice Age: Continental Drift

8 12.90%
  • Dark Knight Rises

58 93.55%
  • Total Recall

1 1.61%
  • The Bourne Legacy

10 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    $200.3 million

Ummm, that's a lot of tickets sold.

-Jason "we have one of our top 5... heck, I think we now know what THE #1 movie of summer will be" Evans
    Umm...wow. That is ABSURD money!

Bout to watch all the individual movies first and then go see it (my original plan). I haven't heard one person that didn't like it yet, which is getting me even more excited for it!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Bout to watch all the individual movies first and then go see it (my original plan). I haven't heard one person that didn't like it yet, which is getting me even more excited for it!
    How did you miss out on the Marvel Movie Marathon?!?! They showed (back to back) Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor in 3D, Captain America in 3D, The Avengers in 3D. There were a select number of theaters that did it last week to coincide with The Avengers premiere at midnight. A full day of movies. I am fairly sure there were a few bathroom breaks in there.

-Jason "that goes beyond being a comic book geek... and into the realm of people needing serious psychological help " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

How important is seeing all the individual movies before seeing Avengers? I wanted to go see it tonight.

I've only seen Iron Man 1 and Thor - no Hulk (1 or 2), Iron Man 2, or Captain America.

How did you miss out on the Marvel Movie Marathon?!?! They showed (back to back) Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor in 3D, Captain America in 3D, The Avengers in 3D. There were a select number of theaters that did it last week to coincide with The Avengers premiere at midnight. A full day of movies. I am fairly sure there were a few bathroom breaks in there.

-Jason "that goes beyond being a comic book geek... and into the realm of people needing serious psychological help " Evans
    Oh wow! Coming back from Nawlins and looking for work, I definitely missed out on that. I've seen Iron Man and Captain America. Still need to see Hulk (I've seen parts of the latest one, saw all of the one that didn't count with Eric Bana), Iron Man 2 and Thor.

2003-2004 HLM

I once watched all six Star Wars movies back to back once. It was rough... but awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    How important is seeing all the individual movies before seeing Avengers? I wanted to go see it tonight.

I've only seen Iron Man 1 and Thor - no Hulk (1 or 2), Iron Man 2, or Captain America.
    I think the story holds up just fine even if you have seen none of the previous movies. It was designed that way. Think about this-- Avengers has already made more money, sold more tickets, than Cap Am or Thor did last summer. It is a very safe bet that many of the people who saw Avengers this weekend had not seen either of those movies. And yet the word of mouth is so strong, I am sure we would be hearing some negative feedback if non-Marvel movie fans were struggling with the stories.

My personal opinion is that Thor and Iron Man 2 are the most essential ones to see ahead of Avengers. Thor does a decent job of setting up Loki as a character, and he is obviously important to this movie. Iron Man 2 gives us the most background and info about S.H.I.E.L.D. and Black Widow. The other movies really don't matter that much to enjoyment of this one-- though Iron Man is a very good movie and worth seeing regardless.

-Jason "you need to see Avengers soon... if only because everyone else on the planet is seeing it and you don't want to be left out" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I once watched all six Star Wars movies back to back once. It was rough... but awesome.
    In what order?

Release: IV, V, VI, I, II, III
    Chronological: I, II, III, IV, V, VI
    Quality: V, IV, III... take a long break... VI... take an even longer break... II... and then you stop.

-Jason "Jar Jar should not exist" Evans

latest estimates for AVENGERS is 650 mil range...

wow...huge
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

In what order?

Quality: V, IV, III... take a long break... VI... take an even longer break... II... and then you stop.

Burn the heretic!

In what order?

Chronological. And I refuse to watch the "enhanced" versions of IV, V, and VI. Original theatrical only, please. Solo shot first, #%*^it! To me, that's just part of his redemption through the trilogy.

And as to the heretical comment, one of my favorite Big Bang Theory scenes of all time is when Leonard tries to get Sheldon to watch the Clone Wars cartoon before seeing the Clone Wars starting movie... "I prefer to be disappointed in the order in which George Lucas intended". Priceless!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    MSN has a video up of predictions for the top 10 and the guesstimates on the take. The totals are worldwide, not domestic.
    1. Neighborhood Watch - $320 million
    2. Battleship - $330 million
    3. Snow White and the Huntsman - $400 million
    4. Brave - $440 million
    5. Prometheus - $450 million
    6. MIB3 - $500 million
    7. Avengers - $600 million
    8. The Amazing Spiderman - $900 million
    9. Ice Age 4 - $950 million
    10. Dark Knight Rises - $1.1 Billion

The list is from Empire Magazine.
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...lmoduleindex=1
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Looks like they seriously undershot the mark on Avengers. It's already made $640M worldwide. I bet by the time it's done it's closer to the $1.25B range.

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    MSN has a video up of predictions for the top 10 and the guesstimates on the take. The totals are worldwide, not domestic.
    1. Neighborhood Watch - $320 million
    2. Battleship - $330 million
    3. Snow White and the Huntsman - $400 million
    4. Brave - $440 million
    5. Prometheus - $450 million
    6. MIB3 - $500 million
    7. Avengers - $600 million
    8. The Amazing Spiderman - $900 million
    9. Ice Age 4 - $950 million
    10. Dark Knight Rises - $1.1 Billion

The list is from Empire Magazine.
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...lmoduleindex=1
    Either Empire magazine is employing monkeys to write their articles or the person doing that list has no idea how to judge worldwide boxoffice appeal.

If you think their Avengers $600 mil guess is bad (they will only miss it by about $600 million) then what about not including Madagascar 3 anywhere in their rankings?

Ummm, Madagascar 3 is sub-titled "Europe's Most Wanted." Do you think that was maybe done to appeal to an international audience a little bit? The last Madagascar movie made more than $400 million overseas... and now Empire mag thinks this one will make less than $320 mil in the US and overseas combined?!?! I'll bet anyone that Mad 3 makes more than $400 mil in worldwide boxoffice. It is a lock.

--Jason "I do credit them with recognizing the international appeal of the Ice Age films" Evans

Boxoffice Mojo recently published an article with their projections for the summer films. It is a decent read, but the numbers come out like this:

1. Dark Knight Rises - $500 mil
    2. Avengers - $420 mil
    3. Amazing Spider-man - $300 mil
    4. Brave - $260 mil
    5. MIB III - $175 mil
    6. Bourne Legacy - $160 mil
    7. GI Joe: Retaliation - $155 mil
    8. Prometheus - $145 mil
    9. Rock of Ages - $140 mil
    10. Madagascar 3 - $135 mil
    11. Ice Age 4 - $130 mil
    12. Dark Shadows - $125 mil
    13. That's My Boy - $120 mil
    14. Hope Springs - $115 mil
    15. Snow White & Huntsman - $110 mil

It is an interesting list. I disagree with a fair amount of it, but there is some logic behind their picks. The biggest miss I see if Snow White, which I expect to be in the $150 mil range, at least. I think they are overrating GI Joe a bit. Unless it gets great reviews, I think that film will struggle to reach $120 mil.

-Jason "I am seeing a screening of Dark Shadows tonight... will let you all know how it is" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Boxoffice Mojo recently published an article with their projections for the summer films. It is a decent read, but the numbers come out like this:

1. Dark Knight Rises - $500 mil
    2. Avengers - $420 mil
    3. Amazing Spider-man - $300 mil
    4. Brave - $260 mil
    5. MIB III - $175 mil
    6. Bourne Legacy - $160 mil
    7. GI Joe: Retaliation - $155 mil
    8. Prometheus - $145 mil
    9. Rock of Ages - $140 mil
    10. Madagascar 3 - $135 mil
    11. Ice Age 4 - $130 mil
    12. Dark Shadows - $125 mil
    13. That's My Boy - $120 mil
    14. Hope Springs - $115 mil
    15. Snow White & Huntsman - $110 mil

It is an interesting list. I disagree with a fair amount of it, but there is some logic behind their picks. The biggest miss I see if Snow White, which I expect to be in the $150 mil range, at least. I think they are overrating GI Joe a bit. Unless it gets great reviews, I think that film will struggle to reach $120 mil.

-Jason "I am seeing a screening of Dark Shadows tonight... will let you all know how it is" Evans
    They sank my Battleship! Actually..they didn't even bother floating it out to sea. (They basically give it an honorable mention and blame its release date.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I was all set to vote for Prometheus, but when I saw the latest trailer it screamed creepy sci-fi horror at me and I think it will have real trouble finding a wide enough audience for that kind of movie to make the $225 mil or so that it is likely to take to reach the Top 5. Women and adults are not into those kind of movies. I also think it seems set to get an R rating (though Scott says he is trying to make it PG-13). An R-rated sci-fi horror film will not make $200+ million. Not gonna happen. From a boxoffice standpoint, R works fine if you are a raunchy adult comedy, but not if you are a gory horror film.
    Confirmed. I'm thrilled about it, but you are probably right about the $..so my list is looking worse and worse.

more projections

Just got my latest edition of Time, which includes a summer movie projection that's attributed to Hollywood Stockexchange. com (and only project first-month earnings):

1. The Avengers $410 million
    2. The Dark Knight Rises $366 million
    3. The Amazing Spider-Man $262 million
    4. Men in Black 3 $204 million
    5. Prometheus $185 million
    6. Brave $184 million

Obviously those totals are a bit low, since most of those films will add a bit in their second month. But I thought it was an interesting projection of the order of finish -- enteresting that Prometheus made the top 5 ahead of any of the kiddie movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just got my latest edition of Time, which includes a summer movie projection that's attributed to Hollywood Stockexchange. com (and only project first-month earnings):

1. The Avengers $410 million
    2. The Dark Knight Rises $366 million
    3. The Amazing Spider-Man $262 million
    4. Men in Black 3 $204 million
    5. Prometheus $185 million
    6. Brave $184 million

Obviously those totals are a bit low, since most of those films will add a bit in their second month. But I thought it was an interesting projection of the order of finish -- enteresting that Prometheus made the top 5 ahead of any of the kiddie movies.
    That list says the top 5 will be Brave in #5, not Prometheus, because kid-flicks ALWAYS have longer legs than big budget sci-fi films. If they are $1 mil apart after one month of release, then Brave would likely finish a good $8-10 mil ahead of Prometheus.

-Jason "they are overrating Prometheus... R-rating is a killer" Evans

Moonrise Kingdom

Okay, I know it won't crack the top 5 -- or the top 10. But how can you NOT be excited about this:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moon...gdom/trailers/

Wes Anderson directing Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Ed Norton and Tilda Swinton? So far, this and Prometheus are the onyl two movies I'm hyped up about seeing this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Okay, I know it won't crack the top 5 -- or the top 10. But how can you NOT be excited about this:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moon...gdom/trailers/

Wes Anderson directing Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Ed Norton and Tilda Swinton? So far, this and Prometheus are the onyl two movies I'm hyped up about seeing this summer.
    Non-mainstream movies that I am excited about--

Killer Joe: A really dark comedy about a man (Emile Hirsch) who hires a corrupt cop (Matt McConaughey) to kill his mother, but the cop falls for his sister. It is being called the finest performance of McCon's career. It is rated NC-17, which means they are more interested in the art than the boxoffice.

Ruby Sparks - Paul Dano plays a nerdy writer who is really successful but lousy with women... until one of the female characters he is writing suddenly comes to life. The female lead, Zoe Kazan, is Paul Dano's real-life girlfriend and she also wrote the screenplay. She is tremendously talented and I am hoping this launches her to some mainstream success. Trailer here.

Safety Not Guaranteed - A reporter (Jake Johnson, who is great on New Girl) finds a strange want-ad and gets one of his associates (Aubrey Plaza, who is also great on Parks and Rec) to answer it. The ad reads: "Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before." I think the trailer looks awesome. This won a screenwriting award at Sundance and was nominated for the Sundance Grand Jury prize, so I am betting it is pretty good. As you may be aware, there is an internet meme that this is based upon. I am sure we will get a "Star Wars Kid" or a "Numa numa" movie next.

I think Seeking a Friend of the End of the World looks interesting too, though it stars Steve Carell and Kiera Knightly, so it is not exactly under the radar. Same with Ted, which could be hysterical but also has too many big name stars (Mark Whalberg, Mila Kunis, Seth McFarland) to be under the radar.

-Jason "I want to be excited about Beasts of the Southern Wild, which blew away audiences as Sundance... but I'm not" Evans