Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Avengers - Pre- release and in-game thread.

i have made a poor bet out of spite...I have a friend that thinks joss whedon is the greatest movie mind of all time. I say no...

anyway, because i need to harp on my friend, i bet him that AVENGERS would NOT be a "MOVIE" on the first weekend...

My definition of the difference between a "movie" and a "film"..."MOVIES" are "films" that generate OVER 100 million buckaroos...

I'm starting to regret the bet....

any predictions?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i have made a poor bet out of spite...I have a friend that thinks joss whedon is the greatest movie mind of all time. I say no...

anyway, because i need to harp on my friend, i bet him that AVENGERS would NOT be a "MOVIE" on the first weekend...

My definition of the difference between a "movie" and a "film"..."MOVIES" are "films" that generate OVER 100 million buckaroos...

I'm starting to regret the bet....

any predictions?
    You will be wrong. It will do something north of $130 million its opening weekend... perhaps more like $150 mil.

And, I am reminded that it is time to start the Summer Movie Predictions Thread!

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

summer list

I don't know about your definifion of movies vs. films (or the suggestion that Joss Whedon is the greatest movie mind of all time), but your post did remind me that the first big summer movie is less than three weeks away.

Isn't it time for our summer movie contest?

Admit I'm anxious after coming close last Christmas (I got the top 4, but missed on No. 5). Also, I got my Summer Movie Preview edition of EW.

Let's go!

Captain America can't play defense and Thor will not be able to hit his hammer, err, free throws with a high degree of accuracy ;>)) .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This isn't Ms Ema Peel's Avengers ,,,, is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    vs.

-Jason "not quite the same thing... though Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow looks eerily similar" Evans

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

emma peel

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    No, but Scarlett Johnanson in a leather body suit is a pretty fair approximation.

I have heard that Hawkeye is unhappy with his screen time and is considering transferring to the Justice League. I don't want to rumor-monger but my source cuts the hair of someone close to the team (rhymes with "Fick Nury").

how could be possibly be unhappy with his screen time? he was terrible in pre-production AND rehearsals...you've got to WANT it to bring your game up enough to get the screen time...

joss whedon doesn't give screen time to TV serial killers....well, i mean, except for summer glau...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I think a big part of the problem is that the Avengers' Archer Coach is Pepper Potts, who has never been an archer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I have heard that Hawkeye is unhappy with his screen time and is considering transferring to the Justice League. I don't want to rumor-monger but my source cuts the hair of someone close to the team (rhymes with "Fick Nury").
    Oh I hope we stay away from him, the dude shoots from A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E, and there isn't a shot he won't take. Sure, he's a better team player than the Hulk (who has substance abuse issues), and he doesn't have the same god complex as Thor, but I think we can do better.

Now, if Black Widow were interested ...

I can totally understand these guys wanting to transfer. I mean, who would want to play for coach Fury? He sees everything so one-dimensionally.

-Jason

Don't know about the movie/film/blockbuster itself, but I do know that they filmed it in a really great state.

I have seen some of the underlying movies, but have not seen captain america or thor. Do you think the movie will be much more enjoyable if I see those before seeing the Avengers, or is it immaterial?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I have seen some of the underlying movies, but have not seen captain america or thor. Do you think the movie will be much more enjoyable if I see those before seeing the Avengers, or is it immaterial?
    I can't imagine anything would be made more enjoyable by seeing Captain America.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I can't imagine anything would be made more enjoyable by seeing Captain America.
    your taxes waiting to be done in the other room?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I can totally understand these guys wanting to transfer. I mean, who would want to play for coach Fury? He sees everything so one-dimensionally.

-Jason

hey!!!! i resemble that remark... (which is why i'm bummed about all the 3D stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I didn't see Thor. I don't expect that to matter much. Avengers has a different director and presumably its own storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    your taxes waiting to be done in the other room?
    Depends whether I am getting a refund or paying more...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I didn't see Thor. I don't expect that to matter much. Avengers has a different director and presumably its own storyline.
    I enjoyed Thor more than I thought I would. Chris Hemsworth is a very enjoyable actor, and the movie was genuinely funny. The action was kind of hit-and-miss but hit more than it missed. It's popcorn fare, but pretty good popcorn fare. I'd see it for it's own merits, and it might be helpful to have some background on Loki as the main villian...in Thor they did a good job of showing what made Loki tick...

Captain America is imminently missable. I fell asleep to it.