Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Things you (probably need to know) about the various characters in Avengers if you have not seen the other movies...

1) Thor & Loki - Thor is a God from the realm known as Asgard. He is one of two sons of Oden, the ruler of Asgard. Oden's other son is the god/magician Loki, who Oden actually stole from his enemies, the Front Giants, when Loki was just a baby. Loki tried to overthrow his father but was defeated at the end of the Thor movie. In defeating him, Thor destroyed the Bifrost, a magical bridge that allowed the gods of Asgard to travel among the various dimensions. As a result, it is sorta unclear how Thor will travel back to Earth. As the Bifrost was destroyed, Loki fell into it, making his fate unclear. At the very end of the Thor movie, there is a scientist on Earth who is asked to examine a mystical looking box. As the scientist looks into the mirror, we see Loki's reflection, implying that Loki has taken control of the scientist in some way.

2) Captain America - This movie takes place during WWII. Captain America, Steve Rogers, was a weakling who could not even volunteer for the army, but he is really tough and has a strong will. He agrees to take part in an experiment using a special serum to make you stronger and he turns into a super solider. The serum is destroyed in a sabotage incident moments after it is given to Steve Rogers. At the end of the movie, Steve saves New York from being bombed by piloting a bomb-filled plane into a frigid arctic snowbank. He freezes there and is thawed out 70 years later by Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. to become part of The Avengers team.

3) Iron Man - you probably saw this movie but Iron Man is the reckless Tony Stark, a billionaire playboy who is a genius at weapons design. He is badly hurt during a kidnapping incident and can only survive by "powering" his heart through a special nuclear reactor that he builds into his chest. It is this reactor that powers his Iron Man suit. He is not a guy who likes people in "authority" and has been fairly resistant to joining the Avengers or giving the government any of his Iron Man technology.

4) Hulk - Though there have been 2 Hulk films in recent years, it is not clear if the story from either one of them will have anything to do with the current character. About all you need to know about The Hulk is that David Banner is a mild-mannered scientist who you do not want to make angry.

5) Nick Fury - Played by Samuel L Jackson, Fury is the leader of the secret government agency S.H.I.E.L.D. His back story has not been explored much in the movies.

6) Black Widow - Played by Scarlett Johansson, she is a leather-clad assassin/spy. A martial arts expert, she had a decent-sized role in Iron Man 2, mostly just to kick bad guy butt. Her back story has not been explored much either.

7) Hawkeye - Played by Jeremy Renner, Hawkeye is a master marksman with a boy and arrow. He carries all kinds of special arrows in his quiver. He made a brief appearance in the Thor movie, but has not been discussed much in previous movies.

As an aside, Thor's love interest from his film, played by Natalie Portman, is not believed to be in the Avengers movie. However, Iron Man's beautiful assistant Pepper Potts, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, is in the new movie.

-Jason "I am seeing Avengers next Thursday and will post a review several days before it hits theaters" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Things you (probably need to know) about the various characters in Avengers if you have not seen the other movies...

... Played by Jeremy Renner, Hawkeye is a master marksman with a boy and arrow. ...
    Previous appearances of Hawkeye have been limited to "indie" theaters ...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    4) Hulk - Though there have been 2 Hulk films in recent years, it is not clear if the story from either one of them will have anything to do with the current character. About all you need to know about The Hulk is that David Banner is a mild-mannered scientist who you do not want to make angry.
    At the end of "The Incredible Hulk" (the most recent, Ed Norton, version), there is an after-credits scene where Tony Stark approaches General Ross about the formation of the Avengers. Presumably the Avengers movie will follow the continuity of that film.

Also - comic nerd correction - the Hulk's "real" name is *Bruce* Banner. He was named "David" on the Lou Ferrigno TV show. (Yeah, I'm a dork.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Also - comic nerd correction - the Hulk's "real" name is *Bruce* Banner. He was named "David" on the Lou Ferrigno TV show. (Yeah, I'm a dork.)
    Nice call. Nice call, indeed. Your Marvel Fu is strong.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marv..._the_avengers/

Promising early reviews from overseas.

There's already a good amount of buzz and anticipation for this movie. If the pre-release reviews are strongly positive to add to the buzz and the relatively competition-free timing of the release, Avengers could very well open HUGE.

As a comic geek, Avengers wasn't my favorite title, but I followed it some. I was an X-Men and Daredevil guy. Daredevil was one of the most inept comic book adaptations I've ever seen, which was a shame because the Daredevil/Electra/Bullseye story line, in particular DD 181, was an incredibly well written comic story line that should have been very easy to translate to the big screen. X-Men has proved to be a pretty good source of movie material, with X-Men, X2, and First Class all being well done...but X-Men 3, which botched the Phoenix storyline horribly, left a sour taste in my mouth.

Seeing Marvel get the movie biz right, with more consistently strong outings (Cap was a missed opportunity last year, but Thor and First Class were both good), is fun for us comic geeks. Avengers had the potential to be a badly done, cheezy movie, but it sounds, from the linked article, that they got it right

Interested to see what they do with Thor 2 next. I'm hoping for Beta Ray Bill...

the DD movie was loathsome....it COULD have been better....Green Lantern wasn't much better...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Green Lantern was so bad, I actually fell asleep several times during a midnight showing!!
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    the DD movie was loathsome....it COULD have been better....Green Lantern wasn't much better...
    I'm told the Director's Cut of DD was much better than the theatrical version.

Then again, it would pretty much HAVE to be...

Christopher Nolan could make a killer DD movie.

Corrected --
    Christopher Nolan could make a killer ________ movie.
    "________" = anything
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Christopher Nolan could make a killer DD movie.
    I think Nolan's a little above the likes of Pirahna 3DD!

Oh, wait, that's not what you were talking about...

Daredevil, at least during the Frank Miller years, had a nicely raw, gritty feel. The movie should have gone for that tone. I would have done a 2 story arc, the first basically giving a quick recap of DD's origin involving Elektra and her father, then focusing on the Kingpin and Bullseye, and finishing with DD putting Bullseye in prison and the re-emergence of Elektra, now as an assassin. The second movie would have gone from Elektra becoming Kingpin's assassin and her early clashes with DD, to Bullseye finding out about Elektra and breaking out of prison, finally to the climax of Elektra being killed by Bullseye and DD dropping him.

Back to Avengers - early tracking indicates a opening weekend in the $130-150 million range. With positive reviews and a relatively open May schedule, could this movie do that and close in on a 3x multiplier to end up in the $400 million plus range?