Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Andre is still a solid option at SF. If he does decide to red shirt, then the best option is to pick up another SF through recruiting to complement Alex.
    If the decision to redshirt or not is made in the fall, then it will be too late to add another small forward through recruiting.

Jefferson is the only undecided 2012 recruit who could possibly change the perimeter equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    It makes sense to see what coach K will do before trying to speculate on lineups.
    Perhaps true, but to act on this advice means effectively to shut down EK every April and May.

It also means the mods should close this thread now, and close the one entitled "Premature speculation on next season's starting lineup," and, really, close any thread that, implicitly or explicitly, refers to "next season."

Should all these threads close, many of us would perhaps live healthier lives; others would go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Obviously Josh is no Lance but he is a vast defensive improvement over Kelly.
    I completely disagree with this. Ryan is a significantly better defender than Josh. He's quicker and positions himself better. He gets a lot of help-side blocks and draws a lot of charges. Josh seems to display more energy, but in no way is he a "vast defensive improvement" over Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My biggest question for next season is how does Duke get Curry and Sulaimon on the floor at the same time. Duke certainly doesn't want to restrict them to a combined 40 mpg.

Seems there are three possibilities.

1. Curry plays point, Sulaimon plays the 2.

2.Sulaimon plays point, Curry plays the 2.

3.Duke plays both on the wings, along with one of Cook and Thornton. The proverbial three-guard lineup.

None of these are ideal. Curry and Sulaimon both appear to be better playing off the ball and the three-guard option has obvious concerns.

And there are other variables. Does Cook improve enough to stake a claim on the starting PG position? Does Dawkins play next season and share the 3 with Murphy? Does Duke sign Jefferson and if so, can he play the 3.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I totally agree that this will be the key issue next year.

You really can't play Cook with Curry because both are subpar defensively and very very small.

Curry at the point is probably the best option with Sulaimon at SG. You let Sulaimon be the on ball defender.

I think the worst case senario is Thornton and Curry like we had last year. Thornton has no offensive point guard skills whatsoever and both are really small.

I also really don't want to see a 3 guard lineup like last year because as the season went on, it proved to be a huge mistake.

I think the best plan is this if Dawkins redshirts:

Curry / Cook
    Sulaimon
    Murphy
    Kelly/ Hairston
    Plumlee / Hairston

You let Sulaimon guard on ball because he probably will be our best on ball defender from day 1. Curry runs the point in a hopefully a Scheyer-esque manner.

I like the idea of Hairston getting a lot of run because he can guard most powerforwards unlike Kelly who struggles with those 6-8 athletic types. And Murphy and Hairston at the 3 four is a great look IMO reminiscent of Singler/ Thomas. They could play next to either Kelly or Mason for stretches.
    You were doing good until you omitted Tyler Thornton who got the MVP at banquet and is pre-Sheed at least Duke's best perimeter defender.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I don't think Sulaimon will demand the minutes that Austin did for one. (when I say demand I mean talent wise, not that he verbally demanded) Also, having Alex at the 3 will alleviate the dreaded 3-guard lineup that a lot of people seem to think was the root of our 'failures' last year. If Alex can play 25+ minutes at the 3 then we will only have 10-15 minutes for someone else there. If Dawkins does red-shirt then I think Sulaimon will get those minutes plus however many minutes Curry needs for breathers. So I think we will see Sulaimon and Curry both on the floor for stretches in games but for the most part Alex will be in with 2 guards. There is a big difference in having the flexibility to go to a 3 guard lineup for stretches as opposed to having to play a 3 guard lineup for 40 minutes like last year.
    I agree with you on Rasheed Sulaimon except for the part about being able to guard a SF in an emergency. Even though Tyler is a couple inches shorter, with current roster at 6' 1" 205+ Tyler with his style of play is best suited to back up Alex at SF.

He is going to get minutes from K, you can count on that, MVP at banquet. Might as well use Tyler at what he is best at and not give up offense at the combo spots (loldevilz second point that "worst case senario is Thornton and Curry like we had last year. Thornton has no offensive point guard skills whatsoever and both are really small".

Back to Jim's point, I favor his point #1 with Seth with his experience at PG over his point #2 Sheed there, but it's just sematnics and they can share the duties much like Scheyer and Nolan did.

It's fine having them together with Alex at SF, not so fine having Cook/Seth since they both are average defender (loldevilz point that "You really can't play Cook with Curry because both are subpar defensively and very very small. "

Hpefully Sheed is a little better in that regard. IMO it should usually be Seth/Quinn either/or at PG not both on floor together.

Curry / Cook

Sulaimon/Thornton but guards the opposing PG or best perimeter player as posters suggested

Murphy/Thornton (preferable to 6'3" 180 Sheed there IMO)

Kelly/ Hairston or Murphy in 3 guard set or MP2 when his bro is the Cener

Plumlee / MP3 or Kelly
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 04-22-2012 at 09:51 PM.