Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I am SO looking forward to bringing this thread back up after we win the conference next year.

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Another similarity - the perceived "devestating" off-season loss of a player that was supposed to be an integral piece of the following year's team (Elliott Williams = Michael Gbinje). We can only hope the results are similar.
    Not all of us were looking for Gbinije to be "integral" anyway, based on what we saw this year. Similarly, we HOPE that Murphy is Singler-lite (don't tell me he'll be as good as Singler - I won't believe that until he proves it consistently) and that Rasheed is the real deal (restrained optimism on this). There's also hopeful optimism that Quinn makes the point guard "argument" a thing of the past.

Andre, Seth, Ryan and Mason COULD be great next year - or they might not make the leap. The upside is huge, however.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Andre, Seth, Ryan and Mason COULD be great next year - or they might not make the leap. The upside is huge, however.
    Certainly true. Consider the following:

Of the last 17 seasons, we have had a number of great players graduate and had a number of transfers. In that period, despite all of the turnover, we have gotten a #1 seed 10 of those seasons; a #2 seed in 4 of those seasons; a #3 seed once; and a lower seed (but still made the tournament) in the other two.

We face this same issue almost every year. Much more often than not, the team reforms and we have a top-10-caliber team. Which gets you in the tourney, with a pretty good chance.

So I think you're exactly right -- the players may step up, they may not. But I would expect them all to play at a top level. We will be one of the more experienced -- and motivated -- teams in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

So I think you're exactly right -- the players may step up, they may not. But I would expect them all to play at a top level.
    Although, I think we kind of expected that THIS year, didn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Although, I think we kind of expected that THIS year, didn't we?
    Sure. Seth and Mason made third-team all ACC (with most ahead of them now gone). Ryan played very well this year, I thought. Dre had some hot games but needs to work on consistency. We were a #2 seed that,up until near the end was in the discussion of "the other #1 seed"

Have any of them reached their full potential? Not yet. That's why I agree with you that there is a huge potential upside. But at the end of the day, the kids and the coaches need to develop it. History suggests that K has gotten pretty good results.

I'm excited!

I think Duke has a strong chance to be very good next year. I'm sorry to see {g} leave, especially right after he got the perfect moniker, because I was excited about having more true forwards and a more flexible defense next year. Still, I really think Duke will be the best team in the ACC, although I think the Wolfies will be tough. Also excited to see if Old' Roy can win the NIT!

Cautiously Optimistic

Coming into this past season, I was really exited to see what the product on the floor would be. I thought we'd be pressuring on D, flying up and down the court, being a really exciting team. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised to see 27 wins.

Next year, after not much changing on the team other than summer development, I think we can be good but have certainly tempered my expectations based on seeing what each player brings to the table. The roles on next years team will not differ greatly from the ones this year with the players who played, with the possible, hopeful exception of Quinn Cook. I don't think next season is going to be memorable in any real way other than the fact that we have 4 seniors who are all holding a ring, which is something special.

However, I do think and really hope that we peak at the end of the year instead of right in the middle. Having Ryan back will certainly help that belief. I really look forward to seeing what Rasheed brings to the table, he reminds me a lot of Daniel Ewing, who was always one of my favs, and I certainly hope that Murph is as good as lot of people think he can be.

I think that Seth, Tyler, and Josh have all reached their respective ceilings. Maybe we can expect a little more from Tyler in his offensive ability, most notably his spot up shooting. I've said it before, I think Seth should come off the bench and play starter level minutes, but that way it doesn't seem that our offense runs through him, because it shouldn't. I think Seth is best served as a tertiary scorer. It's hard to not see TT starting at the beginning of the year, but I think Quinn will eventually win the job because Tyler doesn't quite make up for his liability at the offensive end on defense.

I'm cautiously optimistic, I think we'll have about the same team that we did this past year. Really good regular season record, and hopefully we can stay healthy and close out the year a whole lot better. I think that the Elite 8 is an attainable goal for next years team, and if we get beyond that, then that's great and I'll root my hardest for that to happen, but I'm not going into the year expecting a final four or NC, regardless of whether we get TP or AJ. Would have thought that with Bazz, but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts then every day would be christmas.

We should definitely have no problem fielding a team that can score, with shooters like Curry, Dawkins, Sulaimon and Kelly, and a post player like Mason. The question will be whether or not we can field a team that can both score and defend.

I'm excited for next year. I think we'll be really good. Whether we're special good depends on some guys making big improvements in either their offense or defense. But at worst, we'll be pretty good.

Sure. Seth and Mason made third-team all ACC (with most ahead of them now gone). Ryan played very well this year, I thought. Dre had some hot games but needs to work on consistency. We were a #2 seed that,up until near the end was in the discussion of "the other #1 seed"

Have any of them reached their full potential? Not yet. That's why I agree with you that there is a huge potential upside. But at the end of the day, the kids and the coaches need to develop it. History suggests that K has gotten pretty good results.
    Beisdes Kewl, Jeff Capel says Hi.

Kind of like the discussion of coaches who can't win the championship, the Super Bowl whatever, at least they were good enough to get there or get seeded there.

Just think if Duke had gotten that fourth #1 seed and had been the first #1 to lose to a 16. It will happen some day, not necessarily to Duke.

Of all the posts on this thread so far, this is the one I most relate to in all aspects

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Maybe because I didn't go to Duke or have never lived in Carolina I don't have a similar level of angst as some. I guess I am just a different type of fan from those that need something to happen to get excited for next year. Duke basketball is one of my favorite diversions in life. I look forward to the season every year. I look forward to coming to DBR to discuss the upcoming season and what is happening during the season. I get very excited when the games start. I like the way coach K changes the style of play to try to best fit the team's personnel. I enjoy watching players' improvement from year to year. I am very interested to see how the players will have improved from this year. I am excited to watch four players' senior seasons and as always I hope they have years to remember. I am excited to see three new players try to figure out how they can best contribute to Duke basketball. I enjoy watching Duke Blue Planet videos so I can feel like I know these student athletes a little bit better. I like that there have been a lot of great kids go through the program in the last few years that I have gotten to watch and they have been excellent representatives of Duke University and college basketball in general. If they lose a basketball game that some people think they should have won, I am still going to be very excited for the next one and hoping to see improvement along the way. I will be hoping to see the team get better every game and will be optimistic that the team will do so until the last game they play whenever it may be. As I have the last few years (when I have started to watch almost every game as I have been able to with this neat internet thing) I will be very excited to watch almost all the games and will enjoy it all, even if and when Duke does not meet my (or others') expectations. I am a Duke fan because I love basketball and really enjoy following the team. I am on the next level of optimism just down from Ozzie and gumbomoop, I believe. Yes, I am very excited for next season to start and feel fortunate that this is somehow likely to be a top 10 team again, because of the great work the staff has put in on the recruiting trail, the efforts of the players who have bought into the system and the teaching the staff has done over the years. Go Duke! /rant

Rant certainly not aimed at the above post as there have certainly been many who have stated that something has to happen before they will be excited for next year and may have more at stake in the outcome of the games than I do.

Expect More of Last Season

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Coming into this past season, I was really exited to see what the product on the floor would be. I thought we'd be pressuring on D, flying up and down the court, being a really exciting team. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised to see 27 wins.

Next year, after not much changing on the team other than summer development, I think we can be good but have certainly tempered my expectations based on seeing what each player brings to the table. The roles on next years team will not differ greatly from the ones this year with the players who played, with the possible, hopeful exception of Quinn Cook. I don't think next season is going to be memorable in any real way other than the fact that we have 4 seniors who are all holding a ring, which is something special.

However, I do think and really hope that we peak at the end of the year instead of right in the middle. Having Ryan back will certainly help that belief. I really look forward to seeing what Rasheed brings to the table, he reminds me a lot of Daniel Ewing, who was always one of my favs, and I certainly hope that Murph is as good as lot of people think he can be.

I think that Seth, Tyler, and Josh have all reached their respective ceilings. Maybe we can expect a little more from Tyler in his offensive ability, most notably his spot up shooting. I've said it before, I think Seth should come off the bench and play starter level minutes, but that way it doesn't seem that our offense runs through him, because it shouldn't. I think Seth is best served as a tertiary scorer. It's hard to not see TT starting at the beginning of the year, but I think Quinn will eventually win the job because Tyler doesn't quite make up for his liability at the offensive end on defense.

I'm cautiously optimistic, I think we'll have about the same team that we did this past year. Really good regular season record, and hopefully we can stay healthy and close out the year a whole lot better. I think that the Elite 8 is an attainable goal for next years team, and if we get beyond that, then that's great and I'll root my hardest for that to happen, but I'm not going into the year expecting a final four or NC, regardless of whether we get TP or AJ. Would have thought that with Bazz, but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts then every day would be christmas.
    I think the realistic attitude would be to expect the team to operate about as it did in the past season.

I see Mason and Ryan being slightly better that last year with Marshall and Josh being slightly worse that Miles and Josh last year. The front line therefore is about even with last year.

The backcourt is still the same one with Tyler, Quinn and Seth probably showing some development but also having the same size and lateral quickness issues. Losing Austin while gaining Rasheed is likely to reduce our scoring some but without a loss in defense, since Rasheed appears to be a good defender.

The SF/WF position will probably see Andre and Alex sharing PT. Since Andre's play is a little inscrutable and we haven't seen Alex play a minute in real competition, it is hard to evaluate our improvemen, if any, t there.

Had Shabazz come, we would have had to plug him in at the SF. He is 6'4 1/2" in stocking feet by measurement (not 6'6"). He is physical, a good athlete, but also kind of a black hole on offense. I think he will be a good one and done college player, but will not be the best in his class, so we can do without him.

Should Tony Parker come, it would improve our substitution in the front court. He might get 15 minutes a game at most. He is in the 6'8" to 6'9", 270 pound range with soft hands and a feel for scoring around the basket, and would help with scoring inside and rebounding.

Should we get another SF candidate to fill-in where Michael was before, it could help but that is a guess at best.

So I think we are about the same team as last season with the possibility of some loss of scoring from Austin and some possibility of being more capable at SF

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Beisdes Kewl, Jeff Capel says Hi.
    Please give him my regards. He finished his career among Duke's all-time Top 10 in minutes played, three-point field goal percentages, three-point field goals, and assists. (If my friend Wikipedia is correct).

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I think the realistic attitude would be to expect the team to operate about as it did in the past season.

I see Mason and Ryan being slightly better that last year with Marshall and Josh being slightly worse that Miles and Josh last year. The front line therefore is about even with last year.

The backcourt is still the same one with Tyler, Quinn and Seth probably showing some development but also having the same size and lateral quickness issues. Losing Austin while gaining Rasheed is likely to reduce our scoring some but without a loss in defense, since Rasheed appears to be a good defender.

The SF/WF position will probably see Andre and Alex sharing PT. Since Andre's play is a little inscrutable and we haven't seen Alex play a minute in real competition, it is hard to evaluate our improvemen, if any, t there.

Had Shabazz come, we would have had to plug him in at the SF. He is 6'4 1/2" in stocking feet by measurement (not 6'6"). He is physical, a good athlete, but also kind of a black hole on offense. I think he will be a good one and done college player, but will not be the best in his class, so we can do without him.

Should Tony Parker come, it would improve our substitution in the front court. He might get 15 minutes a game at most. He is in the 6'8" to 6'9", 270 pound range with soft hands and a feel for scoring around the basket, and would help with scoring inside and rebounding.

Should we get another SF candidate to fill-in where Michael was before, it could help but that is a guess at best.

So I think we are about the same team as last season with the possibility of some loss of scoring from Austin and some possibility of being more capable at SF
    It seems I say this every year but most of the top teams got decimated.

Duke was #6 on the selection committee S-surve

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-ncaa-to...eds/in/2626664

and look what happened to UK, Syr, UNC, Mich St and KU plus Ohio St and Mizzou relative to Duke in way of loss of players. Just as some may rationalize the loss of Austin for Duke, these other fan bases may have some rationalizations of their own but UK did lose its top 6 and UNC did lose its top 4.

So being about the same is a net plus, particularly at the start of the season when few teams will have 3 or 4 senior starters.

Please give him my regards. He finished his career among Duke's all-time Top 10 in minutes played, three-point field goal percentages, three-point field goals, and assists. (If my friend Wikipedia is correct).
    Yes, and for the Duke coaching staff is stale crowd, rumor has it Jeff with that background you cite, might be able to coach some day, maybe even be like having a second head coach when he assists.

Collins and Wojo probably learned zlich working with Boeheim and D'Antoni either.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 04-19-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Yes, and for the Duke coaching staff is stale crowd, rumor has it Jeff with that background you cite, might be able to coach some day, maybe even be like having a second head coach when he assists.

Collins and Wojo probably learned zlich working with Boeheim and D'Antoni either.

JC was my favorite player after Grant Hill left. I'm so glad to have him back in our program. The guy went through all the highs and lows during those years but he always made things interesting.

Personally, I don't think it's ever realistic to expect a college team to operate about the same as it did the year before. We've had lots of Duke teams that had mostly the same personnel as the year before with newcomers who seemed likely to fill similar roles to those who departed, but they almost never ended up being similar teams (e.g., 2009 to 2010; 2007 to 2008; 2005 to 2006, 2003 to 2004; 2001 to 2002; 2000 to 2001; etc., etc.) Honestly, can you name any Duke team in the past 20 years that operated the same as it did the previous season?

Austin was the personality of last year's team. I don't know whether Duke's 2012-13 team will be better or worse, but I'll be very surprised if we have a similar look or feel to the 2011-12 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Austin was the personality of last year's team. I don't know whether Duke's 2012-13 team will be better or worse, but I'll be very surprised if we have a similar look or feel to the 2011-12 team.
    This may not be a popular view, but I think we will be a better TEAM next year. As talented as Austin was/is, we kind of gave him the ball and stood back to watch in a lot of instances. Mason, for example, should do a lot better if we can get someone to drive, draw the defender, and then dish off to him on the low blocks. Austin could get into the lane, sometimes at will, but usually finished (or tried to finish) his own shot.

This may not be a popular view, but I think we will be a better TEAM next year. As talented as Austin was/is, we kind of gave him the ball and stood back to watch in a lot of instances. Mason, for example, should do a lot better if we can get someone to drive, draw the defender, and then dish off to him on the low blocks. Austin could get into the lane, sometimes at will, but usually finished (or tried to finish) his own shot.
    I agree with both of the last 2 posts. I think we will be a lot more fluid on the perimeter at both ends, especially if Quinn makes the jump that many are hoping for, and will place more emphasis on interior scoring and overall offensive balance.

I wouldn't expect to operate about the same as last season, for a few reasons. First, we're introducing two entirely different players to the rotation in Murphy and Sulaimon. Second, it is very possible that we'll see Cook emerge as our starting PG. Those two things alone will dramatically change our style of play. Coach K has always changed his gameplan season to season (and sometimes within a season) based on the strengths of the team. And next year, the strengths will likely be slightly different than this year (unless Sulaimon, Murphy, and Cook all aren't ready).

So while I agree that Kelly isn't suddenly going to be quick and Hairston and Thornton aren't suddenly going to be taller or great offensive players, I think we can reasonably expect the team to function at least a fair bit differently.

And regardless, I'd point to ACCBBallFan's post as reason that the status quo isn't necessarily all that bad:

So being about the same is a net plus, particularly at the start of the season when few teams will have 3 or 4 senior starters.
    Granted, some teams are going to move up (like, presumably Arizona, Florida, Michigan, UCLA, NC State, and Indiana). But some of the big boys are going to be trying to fill LOTS of holes next year, moreso than us.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012...ces=topbuttons

This person does not believe Duke should be ranked.

ETA: He had Duke ranked after believing Plumlee was declaring.
    Last edited by WakeDevil; 04-19-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012...ces=topbuttons

This person does not believe Duke should be ranked.

ETA: He had Duke ranked after believing Plumlee was declaring.
    Yeah, but Maryland is #16. Hard to take anything like this seriously.