Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    The convo was about whether mike should have played more minutes at the expense of the other players we have...where the statement was made that "So any decent HS player in their first year in college should play over said players..." All I said was, he was way better than a decent HS player and was a Jordan AA and possible McDonalds AA, Someone mentioned Eric Boateng and said he was a Mcdonalds AA too but didnt have college success...Mike being a better than decent HS player had nothing to do w/ whether his career ends up a bust or not...please tell me what I missed
    I know you are a huge Gbinije fan, and so am I. I hated to see his minutes reduced, but as we discussed often, he struggled with the defensive scheme's, and the offensive scheme's, often being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The game did not quite slow down enough for him. But normally, that is ok, because he was a freshman, and most freshman with his rating start slow and develop into good players over time. I have no doubt Mike would have too. The problem is a lot of kids in this era do not want to pay their dues like the old days. They want PT right away. I had hoped Mike was not one of those kids, but if he does in fact transfer, maybe he is.

Still holding out hope until we see something official...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Maybe Michael was too athletic to fit in our system. Just a thought.
    Maybe he was to "Silent."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    More minutes where? In college. High school was brought up in reference to G playing more minutes in college. It doesn't make sense for you to say that college playing doesn't matter. That is what you missed.
    Umm he could've took some of Dre's minutes, Tyler imo shouldn't have played as many minutes but I'm not the one who made the arguement. I just respsonded directly to the comment saying "So any decent HS player in their first year of college should get minutes over said players"

[
    Are we to believe our lying eyes? I hope not or I have a lot of koolaide to throw away.

QUOTE=Johnny Chill;572245]He wouldnt have been any worse than:

Kelly getting pushed around for rebounding position.
    Curry watching his man drive pass him.
    Dawkins standing at the 3 point line.
    Thornton fouling anyone thats drives to the rim.
    Cook jacking up crazy, contested floaters
    Hairston shooting lasers at the rim, the second he touched the ball.
    Mason trying to dribble in traffic.
    Miles having the ball bounce off of his hands.

You say his wasnt ready to contribute, yet there are plenty of minutes for him to get on the court and the players on the court weren't much better than him.

It's about him not getting minutes, while other players who arent that good are getting major minutes and thats why he is transfering.

The reason why I'm ticked off is because this is another negative recruiting pitch thats going to be used against Duke.[/QUOTE]

Nice to see everyone in such a civil mood. I'd hate to see what the board will look like if indeed the transfer talk pans out.

I'll hold off on further comments until we know one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I know you are a huge Gbinije fan, and so am I. I hated to see his minutes reduced, but as we discussed often, he struggled with the defensive scheme's, and the offensive scheme's, often being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The game did not quite slow down enough for him. But normally, that is ok, because he was a freshman, and most freshman with his rating start slow and develop into good players over time. I have no doubt Mike would have too. The problem is a lot of kids in this era do not want to pay their dues like the old days. They want PT right away. I had hoped Mike was not one of those kids, but if he does in fact transfer, maybe he is.

Still holding out hope until we see something official...
    Yea I'm not arguing that he wasn't ready, he definitely looked lost out there...Yea I think it would have slowed down for him next year but it possibly could've slowed down this year with more opportunities...some kids need that real game experience and don't get as much from just going through things in practice...Im with you in still hoping he changes his mind and sticks it out and realizes the opportunity he has here at Duke

Until there is anything resembling an official announcement, this is rumor mongering (not to mention that the thread appears to have devolved into snipes at our team and one another). It's a Sunday people - enjoy the outdoors, watch some baseball, have a barbecue with some friends, but stay out of this thread, because it's closed.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Is it still rumor-mongering to post that "Silent G" is leaving?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Will the thread be unlocked now or will someone have to create a new one?

Now that this is official (see GoDuke announcement) you may recommence with your previously scheduled gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, and rending of garments (subject, of course, to all other forum rules).

We'll miss you Mike - sorry to hear that you're leaving.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Now that this is official (see GoDuke announcement) you may recommence with your previously scheduled gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, and rending of garments (subject, of course, to all other forum rules).

This is extremely disappointing to say the least. I was really looking forward to G playing his way onto the court this fall. Needless to say that its even more disappointing since he seemed to be so entrenched in Duke life.

Sigh...

So sad to hear. Alas...I wish Mike the best. I hope he succeeds and finds a productive role at another school. I was looking forward to seeing his athleticism on display this coming year. Hopefully we'll be able to fill his slot soon enough.

Definitely sorry he's leaving. I wish him the best in finding his new home, and hope that he's happier there (whether it be happier with his role on the team or happier with his overall college life, or both). Sorry that it didn't work out, but I'm guessing that he felt his chances of playing at Duke were limited given that Murphy was (apparently) ahead of him in the rotation for the foreseeable future.

Now the recruitment of Hood and Zeigler officially makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Definitely sorry he's leaving. I wish him the best in finding his new home, and hope that he's happier there (whether it be happier with his role on the team or happier with his overall college life, or both). Sorry that it didn't work out, but I'm guessing that he felt his chances of playing at Duke were limited given that Murphy was (apparently) ahead of him in the rotation for the foreseeable future.

Though I thought it was implied by some that we backed off of Zeigler at the end...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Though I thought it was implied by some that we backed off of Zeigler at the end...
    I had heard that too. Had Hood been on the radar by that point?

If Gbinijie was really and truly only good enough to get the paltry minutes he got this year - this is unfortunate but no huge loss. If however, he actually is a talented basketball player and was stuck on the bench because he had not yet perfectly mastered the hedge on a high screen or because he occasionally missed defensive switches, this is really disappointing.

Being wed to this idea that upper classmen are inherently better or more deserving of PT over freshmen, unless the freshman is a stud (see Kyrie and Austin) is going to result in more transfers in years to come.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Your guess certainly makes sense. And, of course, a lot of college students transfer, whether they are athletes or not. By definition, it's a period of life when kids are sorting things out and learning about themselves; maybe playing time is just part of it. Maybe he doesn't feel as comfortable in the program, or at Duke as a whole, as he would like to, so there weren't enough positives elsewhere to outweigh the need to wait for, and/or fight for, playing time. It's no knock on him if that is the case, and I hope he finds a situation that works well for him. He seems like a good guy.

Speaking as a fan, though, I am disappointed. Like other posters, I was looking forward to seeing him get more integrated into the offense and defense and realize some of his potential on the court for Duke.

Yaaay! More Dre playing SF...I really hope Alex is ready to go next year and not just a practice superstar.
    Last edited by dcar1985; 04-16-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Your guess certainly makes sense. And, of course, a lot of college students transfer, whether they are athletes or not. By definition, it's a period of life when kids are sorting things out and learning about themselves; maybe playing time is just part of it. Maybe he doesn't feel as comfortable in the program, or at Duke as a whole, as he would like to, so there weren't enough positives elsewhere to outweigh the need to wait for, and/or fight for, playing time. It's no knock on him if that is the case, and I hope he finds a situation that works well for him. He seems like a good guy.

Speaking as a fan, though, I am disappointed. Like other posters, I was looking forward to seeing him get more integrated into the offense and defense and realize some of his potential on the court for Duke.
    I'm glad you brought this up. I feel like whenever we see "so and so is transferring" we then see a slew of posts bashing the player for not wanting to work hard for his minutes. In many cases, I think that's unfair. For example, guys like Boykin (and he had other extenuating circumstances) and Czyz were guys who weren't likely to play major minutes for most (if not all) of their careers at Duke, no matter how hard they fought. If playing time in college was important to them, then transferring made sense. It's also reasonable that not everyone is happy at Duke. For those folks, transferring makes sense. Gbinije sounds like a kid with a lot of character, so I hope we don't see the "it's a shame these kids are so spoiled and expect to not have to work hard for PT" posts with regard to him.

If we win at least 27 games next year and/or make it to the Final Four it will be the best coaching in Coach K's tenure at Duke IMO.

Disappointed to see him go, but as we've discussed in other threads we have a very crowded roster this season and someone was going to get pushed out for playing time. I would have expected him to average 5-10 minutes a game; instead those minutes will now go to Murphy, Dawkins, and maybe Rasheed. I know a lot of people wanted him to get more playing time based on his athleticism but there are a lot of athletes on the track team that wouldn't see the floor in a basketball game. We'll be fine.