Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Zeigler and Hood interest now makes sense

I was wondering why we made such a hard push for these guys....seems like the staff may have known this was coming.

Hood seems like a real possibility now.

Not a bad swap if it turns out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This source quotes the original single source... not really a confirmation of anything.
    Not sure where I said "confirmed".

The link was provided to show there's more smoke out there.
    I remember years ago when it was first reported that McBob would leave early for the NBA draft. I was at first upset that a "source" would report such inaccurate information. I learned then to listen to the good old cliche - where there's smoke...

I wish G the best of luck no matter what he decides.
    I just find the timing interesting: night after the banquet; in the midst of a recruiting battle for several recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    at whom and for what?

G wasn't ready to contribute here so he didn't play.
    G would rather continue his career elsewhere, so he did.

I'm not sure why anyone would have reason to be "ticked off"
    He wouldnt have been any worse than:

Kelly getting pushed around for rebounding position.
    Curry watching his man drive pass him.
    Dawkins standing at the 3 point line.
    Thornton fouling anyone thats drives to the rim.
    Cook jacking up crazy, contested floaters
    Hairston shooting lasers at the rim, the second he touched the ball.
    Mason trying to dribble in traffic.
    Miles having the ball bounce off of his hands.

You say his wasnt ready to contribute, yet there are plenty of minutes for him to get on the court and the players on the court weren't much better than him.

It's about him not getting minutes, while other players who arent that good are getting major minutes and thats why he is transfering.

The reason why I'm ticked off is because this is another negative recruiting pitch thats going to be used against Duke.

What I don't understand is the fact that this thread is still open. There is a sticky message at the top of the forum that discusses rumor mongering in detail. At this point we are discussing a rumor, and that is a no-no.

I have a stong hunch is could be true but as of this very moment my most reliable sources as close as you can possibly get said it is not official. There have been rumors about this happening for a long, long time. I would imagine if it is true it will come out in an official manner sometime tomorrow. As for the timing, well, this is when you usually have this kind of thing happening during exit interviews as school ends. Gbinije was most recently at the Dave Telep Carolina Challenge and he indicated to some he would be back at that time. Until I see an official link tho, I am not sure I would discuss it in great detail. Everybody should know soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I have a stong hunch is could be true but as of this very moment my most reliable sources as close as you can possibly get said it is not official. There have been rumors about this happening for a long, long time. I would imagine if it is true it will come out in an official manner sometime tomorrow. As for the timing, well, this is when you usually have this kind of thing happening during exit interviews as school ends. Gbinije was most recently at the Dave Telep Carolina Challenge and he indicated to some he would be back at that time. Until I see an official link tho, I am not sure I would discuss it in great detail. Everybody should know soon enough.
    Good enough for me. I hope he knows that we all definitely support him. He seems like a very good kid and I, for one, really looked forward to him being ready to show off his skills at this level. Even if he is somewhere else, I will pull for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    He wouldnt have been any worse than:

Kelly getting pushed around for rebounding position.
    Curry watching his man drive pass him.
    Dawkins standing at the 3 point line.
    Thornton fouling anyone thats drives to the rim.
    Cook jacking up crazy, contested floaters
    Hairston shooting lasers at the rim, the second he touched the ball.
    Mason trying to dribble in traffic.
    Miles having the ball bounce off of his hands.

You say his wasnt ready to contribute, yet there are plenty of minutes for him to get on the court and the players on the court weren't much better than him.

It's about him not getting minutes, while other players who arent that good are getting major minutes and thats why he is transfering.

The reason why I'm ticked off is because this is another negative recruiting pitch thats going to be used against Duke.
    Have you seen him in practice?

I haven't. Maybe you have. You argue:

a) that he isn't getting minutes
    b) that he is better than the players on the court

now, assuming that you haven't actually seen him in practice much of the time, how exactly can you declare that he is anywhere as good as the players we were putting on the court? Your sample size was a minute in the game here or there. K's sample size is hours upon hours every day.

I also find it interesting that you called the players getting extra minutes "aren't that good"...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Thank you Watzone! I always appreciate your insights, information, and honesty.

From afar, G seems like a very great kid.

IMO, Gbinije would be a fool to transfer... I loved him last year and I think he will become a key player for Duke. Even if he doesn't see significant court time next year (I think he will), he would definitely be playing major minutes by his junior year, the first year he could play for a new team. I hope for his sake and for Duke's that he stays.

G is a great kid and I wish him all the best whatever he decides to do. I posted this on the first thread that was promptly deleted, but to me this indicates a few positives for Duke fans.

1. To me this further serves to confirm just how good Alex Murphy really is. I think G most likely had a very honest end of year meeting with K about playing time and future prospects. If G couldn't get minutes on this past year's team with no SF on it, then next year with Alex he probably saw the writing on the wall.

2. I think it could also mean that we are in great shape for Jabari Parker and/or Rodney Hood and/or Amile Jefferson.

Again, I really like G and when I had the pleasure of interviewing him he was a very well-spoken, high character kid. I wish him the best wherever he decides to go.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

I seen Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Hairston, Kelly, Thornton play in games, there are many times when they dont contribute in games and even hurt the team by being on the court.

The point is Gbinije doesnt have to be ready contribute or have to be better than those players, but he needs minutes every game.

I remember Mike Dunleavy, not getting any minutes as a rookie in his first game with the Warriors with his parents in the crowd. The whole time, I was thinking, this has to be the worst situation ever for Mike. Maybe he wasnt better than the other guys or ready, but he should have still got into the game. His whole rookie season, his confidence was shot.

I'm not comparing Dunleavy to Gbinije as players, but that whole situation killed Mike's confidence that year.

I seen Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Hairston, Kelly, Thornton play in games, there are many times when they dont contribute in games and even hurt the team by being on the court.

The point is Gbinije doesnt have to be ready contribute or have to be better than those players, but he needs minutes every game.

I remember Mike Dunleavy, not getting any minutes as a rookie in his first game with the Warriors with his parents in the crowd. The whole time, I was thinking, this has to be the worst situation ever for Mike. Maybe he wasnt better than the other guys or ready, but he should have still got into the game. His whole rookie season, his confidence was shot.

I'm not comparing Dunleavy to Gbinije as players, but that whole situation killed Mike's confidence that year.
    I'm not thrilled about Gbinije transferring - I hate it when any kids transfer -but this is the "backup QB" syndrome. It was completely obvious to anyone, and K even said, that we lacked the athletic wing to make us more flexible. Yet, Gbinije sat on the bench despite this, while many players struggled at various times. So clearly something was amiss. But as fans, we want the guys we don't see, when the guys we do see struggle...

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    I'm not thrilled about Gbinije transferring - I hate it when any kids transfer -but this is the "backup QB" syndrome. It was completely obvious to anyone, and K even said, that we lacked the athletic wing to make us more flexible. Yet, Gbinije sat on the bench despite this, while many players struggled at various times. So clearly something was amiss. But as fans, we want the guys we don't see, when the guys we do see struggle...
    thats a great name for it...the idea that just because the guys we do see are bad, the guys we don't see must be better. All those players that weren't very good (as chill put it) took us to playing for the regular season title during the last game of the season...they must have been doing something right.

While we weren't a great team, for sure, i think people's views of how bad the season went are HEAVILY skewed by the last loss...perspective guys...we weren't that bad...
    1200. DDMF.

So any decent high school player in his first year in college would have been better than Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Hairston, Kelly, and Thornton? It's amazing we won any games at all.

The Duke fanbase, ladies and gentlemen!

North Korean air force commander: "The point is our ICBM launcher doesn't have to be ready to contribute or be better than a potato cannon, but it needs a high-profile test launch right now."

Self-taught doctor: "The point is a medical student doesn't have to be ready to contribute or be better than a medieval barber, but he needs to be performing surgeries everyday."

Carnival barker: "The point is a new rollercoaster doesn't have to be ready to contribute or be better than Uzbekistani building standards, but it needs to be carrying riders at speeds in excess of 80mph tonight."
    Last edited by Des Esseintes; 04-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.

I never like to see anyone leave but I could tell by his facial expressions he didn't seem happy on the bench. He probably just wants to play like most kids and saw he would still be coming off the bench this year. I hope he does well wherever he goes but I also hope we can pull in Jefferson as a result of this.

I would hate it if this is true. But the reality was that one of our wing players was going to play a very limited role next year. It sounds as though (if the rumors are true) that guy is going to be Gbinije. If he's not happy with his role or his experience, then it's best for him to transfer. College is too short to be unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    So any decent high school player in his first year in college would have been better than Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Hairston, Kelly, and Thornton? It's amazing we won any games at all.
    I get your point but "decent"?!? He was a Jordan Brand AA and probably a McDonalds kid had he been eligible to play in the game

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    I get your point but "decent"?!? He was a Jordan Brand AA and probably a McDonalds kid had he been eligible to play in the game
    Boateng was a McDs AA too. That doesn't always mean college success

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Boateng was a McDs AA too. That doesn't always mean college success
    who said anything about college success?!?