Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

You're too kind

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I think he got called for like 5 or 6 travels when we played them in the Garden during his senior year.
    He scored 4 points and got 4 rebounds in 31 minutes of action, but he also had 9 turnovers.

It may seem strange now, but he was a Burger Boy in what was once considered a stellar class.

The moral of the story: if you leave over playing time (meaning everyone but Ewill and McCaffrey in Jim's list), it's usually for a reason. Of course, that doesn't make it any less regrettable for the student and for the program, but the sky isn't falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    It's BS. No one was ever "forced" to transfer because there were rumors indicating they would transfer. That's completely ridiculous. G *may* have felt pressure to make a decision quickly because he was tired of dealing with/ hearing/ responding to rumors, but he could have shut the rumors down just as easily by telling the staff he would return to Duke next year.
    Just to clarify, my original post on this didn't say, nor did Gbinije's dad say, he was forced to transfer--only that the fact that the story became public forced his hand in terms of making a decision sooner than he might have otherwise.

You may conclude that that isn't believable, of course. I don't know what the father's motivation for saying it would be if it wasn't true, however--what real benefit does Gbinije or his family get from this that would be worth making up a story for?

You may also conclude that even if it's true, Gbinije should simply have resisted whatever pressure he felt to make a decision sooner, as edouble said. And, yes, he might have done that. But let's consider another possibility--that once the story was out there, Gbinije felt he should decide quickly for the good of the Duke program as well as to deflect any unwanted attention to himself. Long-term speculation on possible player unhappiness doesn't do the program any good. Gbinije has seemed to be a solid kid and straight shooter all along; maybe he thought about the team as well as himself even in this last action.

McCaffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I was going to write a similar post. Balderdash that the "rumors" made him feel forced to transfer. Let's just say a fan that didn't like Duke started a rumor that Ryan Kelly wanted to transfer. Do you think it would make any difference to Ryan if 1 or a million people thought he was going to transfer? Mike, for whatever reasons be it playing time, coaching staff or what have you decided he wanted to transfer. Maybe he will transfer to Stanford or Harvard so he will both stay in the family, as it were, and he will get a first rate education should basketball not pan out.

GO DUKE!
    Billy's transfer to Vanderbilt was rumor induced IMHO. Dick Vitale started yakking about what Billy should do, given that he would have to play point guard in the NBA and was clearly not going to move Bobby Hurley aside at Duke. Anyhow, it seemed a good strategy for his first year at Vandy (co-MVP of the SEC), but by his senior year the defenses in the SEC were ready for him (what else did Vandy have?), and he had much less impact. He played five years overseas and now coaches on the staff at the Bonnies.

IMHO (where the H is silent) Billy would have been better staying at Duke and playing with better players, perhaps sitting out his senior year, so he could have a year at the point after Bobby left. Nevertheless, what is is what is, and his nephew is coming to Duke to play football.

sage

I beg to differ...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Billy's transfer to Vanderbilt was rumor induced IMHO. Dick Vitale started yakking about what Billy should do, given that he would have to play point guard in the NBA and was clearly not going to move Bobby Hurley aside at Duke. Anyhow, it seemed a good strategy for his first year at Vandy (co-MVP of the SEC), but by his senior year the defenses in the SEC were ready for him (what else did Vandy have?), and he had much less impact. He played five years overseas and now coaches on the staff at the Bonnies.

IMHO (where the H is silent) Billy would have been better staying at Duke and playing with better players, perhaps sitting out his senior year, so he could have a year at the point after Bobby left. Nevertheless, what is is what is, and his nephew is coming to Duke to play football.

sage
    Hi,

Billy might have felt that way, but Vitale did not cause him to feel that way. Bobby and Christian really ran the show then. Billy, from what I understand, wanted to feel more in tune with the team and to have a chance to run it. He had already won a natty championship and felt it a good idea to try his hand somewhere else.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Boateng was a starter at ASU, but I recall him being a pretty bad starter.
    Boateng averaged 9 and 7 as a senior and made almost 2/3 of his field goals.

Probably not what we could expect from a McDonald's A-A but I've seen worse.

Ironically, Boateng is sometimes cited as one of those Duke-big-man-failures we hear so much about. One year at Duke, followed by four years (one redshirt) at ASU. But we never hear about Herb Sendek not being able to develop big men.

RE: Billy McCaffrey. It might be useful to keep in mind that brother Ed had just been drafted by the NFL and the pros were very much on the family's mind. Billy wasn't going to play shooting guard at the next level and he wasn't going to play point at Duke with Hurley around. So, from that pespective, his transfer made sense. He certainly had every chance to showcase his PG skills for the NBA.

Then again, my understanding is that he was offered the chance to redshirt at Duke, which would have given him the chance to run the team as a redshirt senior in 1994. Put McCaffrey on a team that lost the title game in the last seconds and another title doesn't seem unreasonable.

I don't know if the tweets forced Gbinje out, but I do get a little tired of people micro-assessing the decisions of teenagers who are trying to find the right situation under a glaring spotlight. If the internet did make him feel obliged to leave, btw, DBR did its share by waxing poetic about his defensive lapses. Rereading some of the screeds by both posters and mod's, these sort of lapses supposedly stem from a lack of effort/heart and that they contributed to our woes and premature NCAA ouster; if I were reading that my semi-official fanbase saw me as heartless and to blame for Lehigh when they didn't even know me, I might well feel that I was being forced out (and I'm a lot older than 19).

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I don't know if the tweets forced Gbinje out, but I do get a little tired of people micro-assessing the decisions of teenagers who are trying to find the right situation under a glaring spotlight. If the internet did make him feel obliged to leave, btw, DBR did its share by waxing poetic about his defensive lapses. Rereading some of the screeds by both posters and mod's, these sort of lapses supposedly stem from a lack of effort/heart and that they contributed to our woes and premature NCAA ouster; if I were reading that my semi-official fanbase saw me as heartless and to blame for Lehigh when they didn't even know me, I might well feel that I was being forced out (and I'm a lot older than 19).
    In general, your point is well taken, but the bolded material seems like a bit of an exaggeration--surely no one has ever seriously suggested that Michael Gbinije is to blame for Lehigh.

I'm sure it would do us all good, though, to remember that this is a public forum and, if players don't read it themselves, they might still hear about what is said--not to mention that forums like IC have a habit of cherry-picking the most outrageous statements made on Duke message boards and describing them as what "Duke fans" are saying and thinking.

Has Gbinije decided on a new school yet? He was suppose to meet with Coach K to help him with his decision.

With whats going on with Dawkins, any chance Gbinije changes his mind? Its ok to change and stay at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Has Gbinije decided on a new school yet? He was suppose to meet with Coach K to help him with his decision.

With whats going on with Dawkins, any chance Gbinije changes his mind? Its ok to change and stay at Duke.
    It would be ideal for SG if he could find a school that is thin at the 3 position. Perhaps a major program that has only one true SF on the roster. Even better if he could end up somewhere that he didn't have to sit out a year before playing. Somewhere that has system familiar to him like Duke's. Hmmm where could he accomplish all of those goals?

I was wondering about this as well. Is the paperwork already in, as it were, or is he still allowed to change his mind given the Dawkins situation? I suppose this may be moot because once you make that decision you probably can't exactly "walk it back" with your coaches, teammates, etc. But I was curious as a matter of NCAA rules whether that ship has technically sailed. Does anyone know?

Since Dawkins won't make a decision about redshirting until the fall, it seems unlikely that Gbinije would change his mind just based on the possibility of some playing time opening up. Unless there's more information that isn't being shared with the public. I wouldn't hold out much hope of it happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    I was wondering about this as well. Is the paperwork already in, as it were, or is he still allowed to change his mind given the Dawkins situation? I suppose this may be moot because once you make that decision you probably can't exactly "walk it back" with your coaches, teammates, etc. But I was curious as a matter of NCAA rules whether that ship has technically sailed. Does anyone know?
    I for one would prefer our very own Silent G over any potential recruit or transfer at the small/wing forward position. C'mon back Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Since Dawkins won't make a decision about redshirting until the fall, it seems unlikely that Gbinije would change his mind just based on the possibility of some playing time opening up. Unless there's more information that isn't being shared with the public. I wouldn't hold out much hope of it happening though.
    Yeah, it's not (to my knowledge) a given that Dawkins will redshirt. I'd be shocked if the mere possibility of an opening to share minutes (but perhaps still not be a starter) at the SF spot is enough to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, it's not (to my knowledge) a given that Dawkins will redshirt. I'd be shocked if the mere possibility of an opening to share minutes (but perhaps still not be a starter) at the SF spot is enough to bring him back.
    Yeah, that's probably right. I mean, if he wants to start, this is probably not the place for him. I was just wondering if it was even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I for one would prefer our very own Silent G over any potential recruit or transfer at the small/wing forward position. C'mon back Mike!
    Same here, since we didnt get Shabazz.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Same here, since we didnt get Shabazz.
    I'd take Gbinije over Shabazz any day. IF Shabazz had chosen Duke, that means they both would have only played for us for one year. But unlike Muhammad, at least Michael didn't come in with those intentions. I'll take character over talent any day of the week. Not saying that Shabazz lacks character, he may be a great guy.. but I have no interest in following a guy who comes in with the intent of only being in school for one year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It would be ideal for SG if he could find a school that is thin at the 3 position. Perhaps a major program that has only one true SF on the roster. Even better if he could end up somewhere that he didn't have to sit out a year before playing. Somewhere that has system familiar to him like Duke's. Hmmm where could he accomplish all of those goals?
    Seems that one major program that is thin at the 3 would be Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Seems that one major program that is thin at the 3 would be Duke!
    Lotusland was using a bit of humor and the post was meant to suggest Duke...But it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Lotusland was using a bit of humor and the post was meant to suggest Duke...But it's not going to happen.
    I understood that, just thought to make it clear.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd take Gbinije over Shabazz any day. IF Shabazz had chosen Duke, that means they both would have only played for us for one year. But unlike Muhammad, at least Michael didn't come in with those intentions. I'll take character over talent any day of the week. Not saying that Shabazz lacks character, he may be a great guy.. but I have no interest in following a guy who comes in with the intent of only being in school for one year.
    I get what you're saying here, but Muhammad is a likely top five, top three pick next draft. That's why he is spoken of as a one-year player. It has nothing to do with his character or his contempt for school--if he was a disaster in the classroom, K couldn't even have pursued him--and everything to do with him being absurdly good at the game of basketball. Would you take Gbinije over Kyrie Irving? I would NOT, and Kyrie was on record about his excitement over the possibility of making the leap after freshman year.

Also, I think you're setting up a false binary. Gbinije was supposed to be a 3-4 year guy; Muhammad is supposed to be a 1-year star. But Gbinije is gone, and who knows, Muhammad might stay for a sophomore season. Happens all the time. Harrison Barnes came back. Cody Zeller came back. Elton Brand came back. What if Muhammad stays two years at UCLA? Does that suddenly make him a better, more steadfast dude than Gbinije? Staying four years or one year at a school doesn't say anything about a guy as a person. It doesn't even say much about a guy as a player, since Kyrie left because he was awesome and Gbinije left because he couldn't get onto the court. These are business decisions.