Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
I think Rivers probably had his eye on the NBA but as Doc's son I don't think he is as susceptible to the influence of "handlers" as much as John Wall and Bazz. I also think it is reasonable that he actually will obtain his degree from Duke while playing in the NBA. I think AR was coachable and "all in" for this past season even though he probably hoped and felt he was one and done all along. When players start following their HS or AAU coaches or shoe companies then I get nervous and would rather Duke just stay away and concentrate on developing student athletes.

My rule of thumb is that if a player would likely be a lottery pick coming out of HS then he's probably not a good recruit for Duke. I don't think that was true of Kyrie, Austin or Deng but it is probably is true for Bazz. So I'm glad Bazz didn't come to Duke but I'll hate to see Mike in another uniform.
The second Kyrie stepped on campus, it was assumed he was not going to stay more than a year. Our coaches realized that he would be wasting his time being at Duke for more than a year. They took him because he was a great kid who completely bought into the team concept for the year he was at Duke, and wasn't at Duke solely to bide his time and showcase himself for the league, like many other one-and-dones do.