Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    who said anything about college success?!?
    This is a Duke UNIVERSITY basketball message board. The whole thing is about college success. If you aren't talking about G's college success, then what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    So any decent high school player in his first year in college would have been better than Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Hairston, Kelly, and Thornton? It's amazing we won any games at all.
    Gbinije wasnt any decent high school player. He is a Duke recruit. I never said he would of been better, you should learn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    This is a Duke UNIVERSITY basketball message board. The whole thing is about college success. If you aren't talking about G's college success, then what are you talking about?
    I stated that G was more than a decent HS basketball player based off a comment from another opp...which has nothing to do w/ whether he'll have success in college, even though I hope and suspect he will whether its at Duke (hoping) or somewhere else....that ok with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Gbinije wasnt any decent high school player. He is a Duke recruit. I never said he would of been better, you should learn to read.
    So were Eric Boateng, Chris Burgess, Michael Thompson. It happens to some kids. If he feels like he'll get more time somewhere else do be it.

If you're going to call people out for misreading your posts, perhaps you should work on improving your grammar first.

Bummer

If this is accurate what a bummer. I think a big part of the issue in regards to transfers (not specifically G) is that most of these guys don't want to take the time that is required to develop. Not every recruit comes to duke and averages 10 points a game. It is hard to get a young man who was the guy in high school to buy into a system that might require him to develop for a couple of seasons. Like I said above not sure if this applies to G, because I think after another season he could be a valuable team asset. What I want to know is how KU has gotten so many guys to wait for their time to shine. Anyway hope he stays seems like a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    thats a great name for it...the idea that just because the guys we do see are bad, the guys we don't see must be better. All those players that weren't very good (as chill put it) took us to playing for the regular season title during the last game of the season...they must have been doing something right.

While we weren't a great team, for sure, i think people's views of how bad the season went are HEAVILY skewed by the last loss...perspective guys...we weren't that bad...
    This was a really bad Duke team. Wins against Kansas in Maui and UNC in Chapel Hill covered up how bad this team was. And the team got worse as the season went on.

This team was exposed by OSU and St Johns. Duke should have stayed home sick with Cook and Gbinije instead of playing Temple.
    This team was manhandled twice by FSU. Down double digits at home to NCSU. Loss 3 home games, cant even remember the last time that happened. UNC embarrassed Duke in Cameron. This team was LUCKY to win 27 games. That's not the perspective, thats the reality.

Losing to Lehigh didnt skew anything about this team. It was just the exclamation to a flawed team that was trending downward as other national powers were getting better.

Maybe, I am the only 1, but I feel Gbinije playing and getting minutes early in the year and throughout the season, wouldnt have hurt the team. It would have only helped him develop as a player, and he wouldnt be transferring now.

I stated that G was more than a decent HS basketball player based off a comment from another opp...which has nothing to do w/ whether he'll have success in college, even though I hope and suspect he will whether its at Duke (hoping) or somewhere else....that ok with you?
    The whole conversation is about how good he is/will be IN COLLEGE. We are only talking about how good he was in HS in regard to projecting how good he will be in college. You're missing the point of the whole conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If you're going to call people out for misreading your posts, perhaps you should work on improving your grammar first.
    That has nothing to do with misquoting me.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I changed the title until we get something official. If true its a definite bummer...

This was a really bad Duke team. Wins against Kansas in Maui and UNC in Chapel Hill covered up how bad this team was. And the team got worse as the season went on.

This team was exposed by OSU and St Johns. Duke should have stayed home sick with Cook and Gbinije instead of playing Temple.
    This team was manhandled twice by FSU. Down double digits at home to NCSU. Loss 3 home games, cant even remember the last time that happened. UNC embarrassed Duke in Cameron. This team was LUCKY to win 27 games. That's not the perspective, thats the reality.

Losing to Lehigh didnt skew anything about this team. It was just the exclamation to a flawed team that was trending downward as other national powers were getting better.

Maybe, I am the only 1, but I feel Gbinije playing and getting minutes early in the year and throughout the season, wouldnt have hurt the team. It would have only helped him develop as a player, and he wouldnt be transferring now.
    Manhandled by FSU? Duke crushed them in Tallahasse and lost to them by a combined 5 points. That's not manhandled. They didn't lose an ACC road game, none of the 4 title teams can say that.

We get it though. Duke was no good this year and Gbinije would have cured all their ills. I remember similar sentiments heading into the 09-10 season after Gerald left and Eliot transferred.

That has nothing to do with misquoting me.
    Using poor grammar makes you sound ignorant (not saying that you are). Saying "learn to read" to someone - aside from being extremely rude - suggests that you find them ignorant. So I'd say the two have a lot in common.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Hyperbole much? "Really bad teams" don't win 27 games and stay in the top 10 all year long while playing the 2nd strongest schedule in the country. Whats absurd is trying to spin 27-6 into a bad season. FSU manhandled Duke twice? Duke could have easily won all 3 of the games. The 2 losses went down to the wire.

Duke had a bad post season, without Kelly. Gbinije transferring does not change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    The whole conversation is about how good he is/will be IN COLLEGE. We are only talking about how good he was in HS in regard to projecting how good he will be in college. You're missing the point of the whole conversation.

The convo was about whether mike should have played more minutes at the expense of the other players we have...where the statement was made that "So any decent HS player in their first year in college should play over said players..." All I said was, he was way better than a decent HS player and was a Jordan AA and possible McDonalds AA, Someone mentioned Eric Boateng and said he was a Mcdonalds AA too but didnt have college success...Mike being a better than decent HS player had nothing to do w/ whether his career ends up a bust or not...please tell me what I missed

May I suggest some edits to this post?

This was a really bad [post I just wrote]. Wins against Kansas in Maui and UNC in Chapel Hill [were awesome]. And the team [deserves way better than my churlish, childish ingratitude].

This team was [beaten] by OSU and [beat] St Johns. Duke should have stayed home sick with Cook and Gbinije instead of playing Temple [because if you can't win every single game, there's really no point in playing, amiright?].
    This team was [narrowly beaten] twice by FSU[, same as UNC, though at least we won OUR game in Tallahassee]. Down double digits at home to NCSU [before a rally for the ages that I am not mentioning because I hate sports and don't understand what it means to be a fan]. Loss 3 home games, cant even remember the last time that happened [and went undefeated on the road in conference, which, again, I am not mentioning because I don't know anything about basketball]. UNC embarrassed Duke in Cameron [after Duke gave Carolina one of the most painful defeats in the history of the rivalry, for which I am completely ungrateful]. This team was LUCKY to win 27 games [without my expert advice]. That's not the perspective, thats the [ravings of a fool].

Losing to Lehigh didnt [make me any better at punctuation]. It was just the [excuse] to [shout at the top of my lungs a bunch of hateful garbage about our players].

Maybe, I am the only 1, but I feel Gbinije playing and getting minutes early in the year and throughout the season, would [have won us two national championships in a single season, first time that's ever happened]. It would have only helped him develop [into the wing-annihilating cyborg he has always been in my fevered dreams].

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    There's no basis to think he's better than Hood.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sad to see things not work out for Gbinijie at Duke, but Hood averaged 10 and 5 as a freshman in the SEC. MG couldn't earn minutes on a team with a desperate need for a player with his skill set.

There's just no reason to think MGs better than Hood or a lot of other players who actually got on the court and contributed as frosh.

If he is that good and he didn't play, well that explains the transfer, if it happens, for a different reason
    I didnt think Hood was coming? Am I wrong - is Hood coming?

The convo was about whether mike should have played more minutes at the expense of the other players we have...please tell me what I missed
    More minutes where? In college. High school was brought up in reference to G playing more minutes in college. It doesn't make sense for you to say that college playing doesn't matter. That is what you missed.

Maybe Michael was too athletic to fit in our system. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Manhandled by FSU? Duke crushed them in Tallahasse and lost to them by a combined 5 points. That's not manhandled. They didn't lose an ACC road game, none of the 4 title teams can say that.

We get it though. Duke was no good this year and Gbinije would have cured all their ills. I remember similar sentiments heading into the 09-10 season after Gerald left and Eliot transferred.
    Oh yeah. I remember. The circumstances where different though.

Rivers going pro was expected and Gbinije transferring while shocking but kinda not surprising, yet it could have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Hyperbole much? "Really bad teams" don't win 27 games and stay in the top 10 all year long while playing the 2nd strongest schedule in the country. Whats absurd is trying to spin 27-6 into a bad season. FSU manhandled Duke twice? Duke could have easily won all 3 of the games. The 2 losses went down to the wire.

Duke had a bad post season, without Kelly. Gbinije transferring does not change that.
    Does he hurt it though?!? Say Mike got some of the minutes Dre saw down the stretch where he was putting up 0, 0, 5, 3, 0 and so on...Mike could have played just as bad, possibly better and gained some game experience and possibly been the difference between him transferring now and looking forward to next year at Duke