Robin Gibb (1949-2012)

Robin Gibb, the Bee Gees lead singer, is in a coma in a London hospital. He is one of the two surviving Bee Gees, as Robin's twin Maurice died in 2003. Brother Barry and Robin's family are said to be at Robin's side. Bowel and liver cancer appear to be the main culprits, though pneumonia has now set in.

Hopefully he will be Stayin' Alive--but it's not looking good.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 04-15-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Robin Gibb, the Bee Gees lead singer, is in a coma in a London hospital. He is one of the two surviving Bee Gees, as Robin's twin Maurice died in 2003. Brother Barry and Robin's family are said to be at Robin's side. Colon and liver cancer appear to be the main culprits, though pneumonia has now set in.

Hopefully he will be Stayin' Alive--but it's not looking good.
    This would make three out of four brothers dying young, with Andy Gibb also dying long ago-- might be something not quite right, genetically... it's almost Kennedy-like... those those deaths were mostly not from natural causes.

bummer...

we're all getting older....it's sad to see our icons become mortal...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    bummer...

So true.

-MJ

bummer...

Kind of a side note, but related to "We're all getting older," I used to get a softball team together back in the day (early 90s) and pretty much the same guys played every year (for four years). We were, "The Rookies!" Named because we had never organized a team before and I liked the cop show from the 70s.

We all were pretty close friends, some more than others, but that team was such a bond.

Anyway, on April 13, 2011, our 3rd basemen, a great and funny guy, died unexpectedly of a heart attack (well, he DID have some bad habits of excess).

It was very odd to see a friend, a pal, go so suddenly, but not as odd as when I got a call the other day saying one of our pitchers passed away on April 13, 2012.

That makes two teammates gone in consecutive years, on the exact same day, on the week that our spring leagues would usually start up.

Very odd.

We ARE all getting older indeed.

-MJ

Robin has emerged from his coma. He's still in some trouble, but at least this is a positive sign. Still Stayin' Alive!

Adding BBC Seems the family has been singing to him.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 04-22-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Added BBC link

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Robin has emerged from his coma. He's still in some trouble, but at least this is a positive sign. Still Stayin' Alive!

Adding BBC Seems the family has been singing to him.
    Good news! Stayin' Alive!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Good news! Stayin' Alive!
    During the last time I went through the Red Cross CPR course, the instructor said we should time our chest compressions to the beat of "Staying Alive" (hi-hi-hi-hi-stay-in-a-live), and that originally, the folks in charge of revamping the course nationally (i.e., phasing out mouth-to-mouth breathing, etc.) had suggested the beat from "Another One Bites The Dust"...
    No references, but a good story!

R.I.P Robin Gibb. He died today of cancer.
    http://www.wral.com/news/national_wo...tory/11122404/
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

i encourage everyone to play his music to refresh your memory of the amazing additions his talent has contributed to our lives....life is short....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

i encourage everyone to play his music to refresh your memory of the amazing additions his talent has contributed to our lives....life is short....
    I played my Saturday Night Fever CD. I love this CD. Great songs: Staying Alive, Night Fever, You Should Be Dancing and How Deep is Your Love. RIP Robin Gibb! Your music will forever be remembered!

Robin Gibb

Wasn't going to post on this thread but since it's popped back up...

Had the pleasure of interviewing Robin a couple of times including in the late 70s during the height of Saturday Night Fever. At the time, the Bee Gees were the biggest pop group in the world, but Robin couldn't have been nicer. He spoke at length about their earlier songs and revealed a sly sense of humor in his replies.

We discussed the family feuds, the travels from Manchester to Brisbane and back to the UK, his twin (the usually mispronounced Maurice--sounds like Morris), older brother Barry and youngest brother Andy. Barry wrote many more songs, but Robin had a hand in most of the hits including

New York Mining Disaster 1941
    To Love Somebody
    Words
    Massachusetts
    I Started A Joke
    I've Gotta Get A Message To You
    Forty Days and Forty Nights (Robin alone)
    Lonely Days
    How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
    Run To Me
    Nights On Broadway
    Jive Talkin'
    You Should Be Dancing
    If I Can't Have You
    Night Fever
    More Than A Woman
    How Deep Is Your Love
    Stayin' Alive
    Emotion
    Shadow Dancing
    Too Much Heaven

There are others, but suffice it to say, it's an amazing catalogue. He was a remarkable songwriter and vocalist. While he played guitar, piano and organ, for the most part, he's known for his singing and rarely played an instrument on stage from 1971 on.

Early songwriting billing had "R and B Gibb" (for Robin and Barry Gibb but a nod to their musical influences) but as Maurice contributed on some songs, the standard birth order was usually used (Barry, Robin, Maurice Gibb). However it was billed, Robin had a big part in the writing and arranging of most of their biggest hits. His distinctive quaver is heard at some point in all the ballads and along with Barry's falsetto gave the Bee Gees a highly recognizable sound.

My brief time spent with him found him unfailingly polite, clever and down to earth. He was a talented musician but more than that he was a really good guy.