A Reminder on Rumor Mongering

All-

It's now the offseason (much sooner than anyone would have liked), and if there's one thing the offseason brings it's intense focus on 16-21 year-old kids making individual and personal decisions regarding, depending on the person, where they want to go to college, whether they might want to leave one college for another, or when they want to leave college to pursue a professional career. This necessarily brings with it rampant speculation from people about what decision each particular kid might make, 99% of which is based on no direct knowledge of the kid, his decision making process, the advice he's receiving, his individual priorities, etc.

Given the above, we're here to provide a friendly reminder that rumor mongering is not permitted on this site. If your posts contain any of the following, odds are you're rumor mongering, your post will be deleted, and you'll get an infraction:

• "What I'm hearing from people on campus is ..."
    • "I'm friends with [player X]'s friend, and he told me ..."
    • "What I was told about [x] is ..."
    • "According to my sources ..."
    • "My uncle works at UNC, and he says that people on campus are saying..."
    • "My barber goes to church on Sunday with the guy that owns the pizza delivery shop that the Tar Heels order from, and he told me that the owner told him that one of his delivery guys saw Kendall Marshall do a one-handed cartwheel on his right hand before downing half a pepperoni pizza"

Please note that rumor mongering is still rumor mongering even if you turn out to be right. If you say on Monday that a friend's buddy's third cousin's sister-in-law told you that Mason Plumlee is going to declare for the draft, and on Thursday he declares for the draft, we will not reverse your infraction.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

By the way, the definition of a rumor is anything that is not reported by a significant media outlet.

But, be careful about repeating rumors that comes from fan-driven and therefor unreliable media sources.

So... If Seth Davis or Jay Bilas tweets it, then it is not a rumor. If Bleacher Report writes a lengthy article about it, it may still be a rumor.

-Jason "safest bet-- include a link in your post" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'd quibble with the part about Seth "Kyrie Irving will never play again" Davis, but appreciate the rest of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I'd quibble with the part about Seth "Kyrie Irving will never play again" Davis, but appreciate the rest of the above.
    My sources say Jason Williams is going pro after his sophomore season.

Um, er, oops.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

If the main page of a fan-centric basketball blog and/or news site publishes a highly speculative article that analyzes a quote from Austin Rivers and interprets it to mean that Duke has already received unofficial silent verbals from both a high school commit and possibly also a transfer, who may or may not be Trey Ziegler, does that still count as a rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    My sources say Jason Williams is going pro after his sophomore season.

Um, er, oops.
    Excellent!

Right now there are two stories on the front page based on rumors and they even say they're based on rumors...Gbinije's possible transfer and Parker's selection of schools...

What gives...?

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Right now there are two stories on the front page based on rumors and they even say they're based on rumors...Gbinije's possible transfer and Parker's selection of schools...

What gives...?
    The two aren't always connected, so what happens on the main board doesn't always reflect here.

I know it's not elegant, but it's the reality we need to work under to keep the board standards high.

-jk