The uCon scam continues

According to CBS Sports:

C Andre Drummond played the 2011-12 season as a walk-on. As a non-scholarship player, Drummond’s academic progress will have no effect -- positive or negative – on UConn’s Academic Progress Rating (APR) in future years.
    I do not believe Drummond paid to attend school, he received financial aid. How is that not avoiding the reduction of scholarship penalty?

To cap it off, he never had to attend class. No wonder he volunteered to be the "walk-on."

Lamb, Drummond ans Oriaki are gone. Only Napier and Daniels to decide.

I hope they go unvictorious in 2012-2013.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    According to CBS Sports:

I do not believe Drummond paid to attend school, he received financial aid. How is that not avoiding the reduction of scholarship penalty?

To cap it off, he never had to attend class. No wonder he volunteered to be the "walk-on."

Wait, what would Daniels have to decide on? Transfer?

According to CBS Sports:

I do not believe Drummond paid to attend school, he received financial aid.

Wait so "walk-on's" don't have to actually enroll for classes? Kentucky might just field 12 walk-on's from here on out.

On the other hand as shady as it may be, you can't knock Calhoun for thinking of a way to beat the system..

Quote Originally Posted by ScheyersonFire2010 View Post
    you can't knock Calhoun for thinking of a way to beat the system..
    Sure I can. The system we agree to live under says it is wrong to kill people, but I'm pretty sure I can fault people who try to "beat the system" and kill people anyway. They may get away with it, but I sure as anything can knock them for it (paging OJ Simpson, and other more recent examples...)

According to CBS Sports:

I don't think this can be right. Any kind of financial aid grant from the school, even if need- or merit-based, counts towards scholarships for NCAA purposes if the recipient is on a D1 roster. Whether they found some non-school way to get Drummond some money, I would not want to speculate on.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    paging OJ Simpson

Haven't you heard? PI claims it was son of OJ who did the killing.

Quote Originally Posted by ScheyersonFire2010 View Post
    Wait so "walk-on's" don't have to actually enroll for classes? Kentucky might just field 12 walk-on's from here on out.

On the other hand as shady as it may be, you can't knock Calhoun for thinking of a way to beat the system..
    lol i think thats a bit extreme , i hate uconn though so i hope they get the worst thing they can get. Or is there not any sanctions that can happen for that?

Drummond reportedly paid in state tuition since he's a Connecticut resident. He didn't receive financial aid since that would then count against the scholarship numbers but certainly in state tuition at Uconn is a pretty good deal, but it's not any different than any other state resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Drummond reportedly paid in state tuition since he's a Connecticut resident. He didn't receive financial aid since that would then count against the scholarship numbers but certainly in state tuition at Uconn is a pretty good deal, but it's not any different than any other state resident.
    So how many credits did he take/pay for? Can a part-time student play? Did he have to pass any classes?

On another note, redshirt freshman center 6'10" center Michael Bradley as been granted a release to transfer.

So how many credits did he take/pay for? Can a part-time student play? Did he have to pass any classes?

On another note, redshirt freshman center 6'10" center Michael Bradley as been granted a release to transfer.
    If your last sentence is true, wonder how long it will take to start a Michael Bradley is transferring thread.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

walk on rules

Walk ons can receive scholarship money for non-athletic reasons (need based, AB Duke Scholar etc.) However, once they join an NCAA team they must follow all the rules for sprots scholarship players regarding outside employment, class attendance and so on.

What makes my blood boil is that the reason they ran out of scholarships to begIn with is because two were taken away when uconn failed to meet the Academic Progress minimums. The whole point of the APR is to penalize schools whose students aren't fulfilling their academic requirements. Instead, they've somehow made it even EASIER for Drummond to go there.