Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Alex Hassan

I got to see Alex Hassan last week during the Bulls' series against the PawSox. Really, I was only there to watch Matsui vs Dice-K, but it was nice to get a chance to see Alex too - he got a hit in the game I saw, but was only 2 for 15 in the series and is batting just .234 on the season. It might be that he just got to AAA too fast, but hopefully he can stick around.

I am really waiting for Nate Freiman, a 1B in the Padres organization, to hit the majors. He is gigantic, like 6'6'' or something, and hits for both average and power (.298 BA, 14 dingers, .963 OPS in 43 games of AA this year). Mark my words, he's gonna kill it in the big leagues one day. Also, I had a class with him and he was very kind and a much better student than most kids in the class.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-24-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    I got to see Alex Hassan last week during the Bulls' series against the PawSox. Really, I was only there to watch Matsui vs Dice-K, but it was nice to get a chance to see Alex too - he got a hit in the game I saw, but was only 2 for 15 in the series and is batting just .234 on the season. It might be that he just got to AAA too fast, but hopefully he can stick around.

I am really waiting for Nate Freiman, a 1B in the Padres organization, to hit the majors. He is gigantic, like 6'6'' or something, and hits for both average at power (.298 BA, 14 dingers, .963 OPS in 43 games of AA this year). Mark my words, he's gonna kill it in the big leagues one day. Also, I had a class with him and he was very kind and a much better student than most kids in the class.
    Freiman was listed at 6-8, 250 at Duke.

Freiman is listed at 6'7" and 225 on the Minor League Baseball website. I don't know whether the differences are good or bad.

Michael Ness is playing in one of the Indy leagues as he pitches for the Newark Bears of the Canadian-American Association.

Giving up just two hits in seven innings and striking out eight, Chris Capuano handcuffed the 'stros today as the Dodgers beat Houston 5-1. With the win, Chris moves to 7-1 and lowered his ERA to 2.14. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Giving up just two hits in seven innings and striking out eight, Chris Capuano handcuffed the 'stros today as the Dodgers beat Houston 5-1. With the win, Chris moves to 7-1 and lowered his ERA to 2.14. Not too shabby.
    Keep that up and you are in Cy Young territory.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Where was this when he was a Met? Grumble, grumble, spit on the ground, curse.

Dennis O'Grady has moved from High A ball to Low A with Fort Wayne in the Midwest League.

Also, next week we will get to see where the next crop of Duke players end up as the draft is from Monday to Wednesday. The MLB Network will have the 1st round and some compensatory picks on Monday at 7:00pm Eastern. The next two days start at 12:00pm Eastern and can be followed on the MLB website.

I'm afraid my Rockies were not kind to Capuano tonight. 5 1/3 innings, 8 hits, 7 runs (only 4 earned). As usual, probably will be blamed on altitude.

Marcus Stroman to the Blue Jays. Wonder if we will see him in the majors this year? I suppose it depends on how their season is going as the months go on.

Duke's 1st ever 1st-rounder in MLB draft!

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Marcus Stroman to the Blue Jays. Wonder if we will see him in the majors this year? I suppose it depends on how their season is going as the months go on.
    I would think it is a good possibility, as I have read that some scouts think he could (see Herald-Sun link below), but we'll have to wait and see. Best of luck to Marcus! I just know that my cousin Craig, who pitched for Duke in the 70's, is smiling down from above today with pride in old DU.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...n-first-round?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    I would think it is a good possibility, as I have read that some scouts think he could (see Herald-Sun link below), but we'll have to wait and see. Best of luck to Marcus! I just know that my cousin Craig, who pitched for Duke in the 70's, is smiling down from above today with pride in old DU.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...n-first-round?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Great accomplishment for Marcus. We are very proud of you!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Here's a nice read from ESPN on Chris Capuano and his battery mate, A.J. Ellis.

Will Piwnica-Worms starts at the Rookie level for the Nationals' Gulf Coast League Affiliate.

David Putman also start in Rookie ball at Great Falls in the Pioneer League for the White Sox.

Everyone else is still at the same level as was last mentioned in the thread.

Jeremy Gould is closing for the Mets' short-season A-ball affiliate in the New York-Penn league in Brooklyn.

After just one game, Jeremy Gould has been moved to regular A ball at Savannah in the South Atlantic League.

Jim Gallagher, who was struggling to hit at AAA has been sent down to AA with Birmingham in the Southern League.

Greg Burke has moved from AA to the Orioles' AAA affiliate at Norfolk.

Ah, the life of a minor league catcher. Ryan McCurdy is at his third team this year after moving to Lexington, Kentucky in the Class A South Atlantic League.

Marcus Stroman has signed with the Blue Jays. Here is the article from MLB.com:
    http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_tor&c_id=tor

A $1.8 Million signing bonus is pretty good stuff. Is it paid in American dollars or Canadian ones?

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Marcus Stroman has signed with the Blue Jays. Here is the article from MLB.com:
    http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_tor&c_id=tor

A $1.8 Million signing bonus is pretty good stuff. Is it paid in American dollars or Canadian ones?
    Interesting throw-away question re exchange rates. The bid-ask differential is 0.98-1.01 between US and Canadian dollars. So, for now, one-to-one. Either party, I suppose, could hedge the exchange rate by going into the forward market.

sagegrouse

Jim Gallagher is back at AAA Charlotte after a short time in AA.

I read one article suggesting that Marcus Stroman is in for a short stay at short-season A ball in Vancouver before being fast-tracked to AA. Also, his contract is apparently denominated in US currency.