Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dukies in Pro Baseball

I thought it would be a good idea to provide a list of where former Duke Baseball players are now playing professionally now that the season has started. Duke Sports Information does a great job of tracking the players but I think they may wait until after the Draft and the short-season leagues start.

Chris Capuano is pitching for the Dodgers.

Danny Otero, who played three years at Duke before playing his final season at South Florida, is in the bullpen for the Giants after being placed on the 40 man roster then performing well in Spring Training.

Jim Gallagher is playing AAA ball in Charlotte for the second season in a row in the White Sox organization.

Nate Freiman is at AA San Antonio for the Padres.

Alex Hassan is with AAA Pawtucket for the Red Sox.

Jake Lemmerman is at AA Chattanooga again for the Dodgers.

Chris Manno is in AA with the Reds in Pensacola.

Dennis O'Grady is pitching with the Padres at their A Advanced affiliate in Lake Elsinore.

If I missed any other players who have started their Minor League seasons, post them and we will see what they are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Danny Otero, who played three years at Duke before playing his final season at South Florida, is in the bullpen for the Giants after being placed on the 40 man roster then performing well in Spring Training.
    Baseball and college basketball are my two favorite sports to watch. The San Francisco Giants are my favorite team. I typically head out to Hickory or Greensboro to watch their minor league team when it swings through.

I loved Otero's statistics even before I knew he was a Dukie. The guy has just carved up the minors. I think he is going to be a very successful reliever in the big leagues. He doesn't walk anyone and strikes out guys at a good clip, in other words, he pitches smart. I should have known he went to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I thought it would be a good idea to provide a list of where former Duke Baseball players are now playing professionally now that the season has started. Duke Sports Information does a great job of tracking the players but I think they may wait until after the Draft and the short-season leagues start.

Chris Capuano is pitching for the Dodgers.

Jim Gallagher is playing AAA ball in Charlotte for the second season in a row in the White Sox organization.

Nate Freiman is at AA San Antonio for the Padres.

Alex Hassan is with AAA Pawtucket for the Red Sox.

Jake Lemmerman is at AA Chattanooga again for the Dodgers.

Chris Manno is in AA with the Reds in Pensacola.

Dennis O'Grady is pitching with the Padres at their A Advanced affiliate in Lake Elsinore.

If I missed any other players who have started their Minor League seasons, post them and we will see what they are up to.
    Shoenweis(sp?)?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Shoenweis(sp?)?
    Sadly, after the sudden death of his wife in 2009, Scott Schoeneweis was not able to regain his form as a pitcher. He last pitched in 2010 per mlb.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    Baseball and college basketball are my two favorite sports to watch. The San Francisco Giants are my favorite team. I typically head out to Hickory or Greensboro to watch their minor league team when it swings through.

I loved Otero's statistics even before I knew he was a Dukie. The guy has just carved up the minors. I think he is going to be a very successful reliever in the big leagues. He doesn't walk anyone and strikes out guys at a good clip, in other words, he pitches smart. I should have known he went to Duke.
    The Giants are the closest team to me, although I am more of an A's fan. Otero has been pretty solid so far.

One more Duke player has started his minor league season. Greg Burke, who was with the Padres system recently, signed with the Orioles a couple of months ago and is now at their AA affiliate in Bowie.

Curious as to list of all-time major leaguers from Duke:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/sc...chool=ab7868a7

Found this interesting recollection from Crash Davis (note Connie Mack paying his way at Duke … and the NCAA worries about agent benefits; also, brush w/ Bobby Kennedy):

http://philadelphiaathletics.org/history/crashdavis.htm

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Curious as to list of all-time major leaguers from Duke:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/sc...chool=ab7868a7

Found this interesting recollection from Crash Davis (note Connie Mack paying his way at Duke … and the NCAA worries about agent benefits; also, brush w/ Bobby Kennedy):

http://philadelphiaathletics.org/history/crashdavis.htm
    I know this list isn't complete, because I recall Larry Broadway playing a short time in the majors with the Nats a few years back.

As a Dodger fan, I'm happy to report that Chris Capuano struck out nine, gave up 3 hits, and no runs in six and two thirds in a win over the Nats today. Great outing by Chris.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    As a Dodger fan, I'm happy to report that Chris Capuano struck out nine, gave up 3 hits, and no runs in six and two thirds in a win over the Nats today. Great outing by Chris.
    As a Nats fan, I was a bit conflicted on this one. Great series, with some excellent pitching on both sides. Chris's dominant game (3 hits, 2 walks, 6.2 innings, 0 ER) was a little easier to take than if he hadn't been a Blue Devil.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

As a Giants fan, watching Capuano pitch for the Dodgers is like watching Nolan Smith suit up for the Tar Heels.

Dan Otero got hit around hard by the Reds in Cincinnati and was sent down to AAA and replaced by another reliever. The Giants don't have a lot of patience with kids when they fail at first. Personally, I would have given him more time to prove himself as his career minor league numbers are off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I know this list isn't complete, because I recall Larry Broadway playing a short time in the majors with the Nats a few years back.
    I'm pretty sure Broadway never made the majors. Injuries at Triple-A.

As a Nats fan

I'm always happy to see a Duke player do well, but the Nats make all opposing starters look like Walter Johnson.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm always happy to see a Duke player do well, but the Nats make all opposing starters look like Walter Johnson.
    And until this past weekend, it didn't really matter since we've got 4 Big Trains on our staff, too.

To the Off-Topic board!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    Dan Otero got hit around hard by the Reds in Cincinnati and was sent down to AAA and replaced by another reliever. The Giants don't have a lot of patience with kids when they fail at first. Personally, I would have given him more time to prove himself as his career minor league numbers are off the charts.
    He had a string of solid outings before the Reds game and the timing just kind of worked out to force him down. The Giants needed a sixth starter after the rainout and subsequent doubleheader and then when they were done with their starter they decided to bring up Edlefsen, who was not particularly special last season. I hope Otero gets a little time to recover a bit as a setup man in Fresno and we can see him in the big leagues again soon.

One more Duke player has gotten their minor league assignment as Ryan McCurdy is at Houston's Class A Advanced affiliate in Lancaster, California.

Ryan McCurdy has been moved up to AA Corpus Christi.

Saw Chris Capuano pitch a gem at Wrigley today. 7.0 IP, 0 ER, 3 H. He also had a 2-RBI double from the left side of the plate. He's now 4-0 on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    Saw Chris Capuano pitch a gem at Wrigley today. 7.0 IP, 0 ER, 3 H. He also had a 2-RBI double from the left side of the plate. He's now 4-0 on the season.

Capuano has been, imho, the biggest positive pitching surprise of the season so far. Wish he had stayed with my beloved and beleaguered New York Mets.

Article on MLB.com about Marcus Stroman and his draft status. Looking forward to seeing him pitch at the next level!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

After beating the Diamondbacks 6-1 last night, Capuano is now 6-1 with a 2.25 ERA. He went 6 innings, gave up four hits and one run. Solid. If he keeps this up, he'll belong on the All-Star team.

Top Prospects per SI

Quote Originally Posted by dukebsbll14 View Post
    Article on MLB.com about Marcus Stroman and his draft status. Looking forward to seeing him pitch at the next level!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Rank Name Position School
    1 Byron Buxton OF Appling County (Ga.) High
    2 Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico Baseball Academy
    3 Lucas Giolito RHP Harvard Westlake (Calif.) High
    4 Mark Appel RHP Stanford
    5 Kevin Gausman RHP LSU
    6 Michael Wacha RHP Texas A&M
    7 Mike Zunino C Florida
    8 Max Fried LHP Harvard Westlake (Calif.) High
    9 Albert Almora OF Mater (Fla.) Academy
    10 Kyle Zimmer RHP USF