Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 527
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    As a Yankee fan, it's been fun to watching Derek Jeter get off to one of the best starts of his career. Coming after two very slow starts, this has been refreshing.

    I thought it was worth mentioning that Jeter has passed a couple of pretty famous names this week on his climb up the all-time hit list. His single last night game him a baseball-best of 55 this year and 3,143 for his career. In the last few days, he's passed Tony Gwyn (3,141) and Robin Yount (3,142) to climb to 17th place on the all-time list. Next up is No. 16 Paul Waner (3,152), then No. 15 George Brett (3,154).

    Jeter should wind up 11th-to-13th by the end of this season, depending on his health and sustaining his current level of play. Even if he drops a little, he'll enter the all-time top 10 early next season.

    Can he make a run at Pete Rose's record? He's ahead of Pete's pace for both game's player and age. Too early to get excited and with Jeter's dropoff in 2010 and early in 2011, it looked impossible. But since midseason last year, Jeter has been his old self ... suddenly the chase of Rose appears to be be possible again.
    Thanks for bringing this up Oly. Love stuff like this.

    But when I'm looking at the numbers, I'm not seeing that Derek is ahead of Rose's pace. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

    Jeter is 37 years old now, and will turn 38 in June. He's in his 18th season. If you remove his rookie year where he only played 15 games and had 12 hits, and just focus on his full seasons, he's averaged 192.25 hits per year prior to this year. At the outset of this year, he needed 1168 hits to tie Rose, which at the rate of 192.25 per year, would mean it would take him 6.07 years to tie him. This would take Derek to age 43 or 44.

    But that's if Jeter can continue to bang out almost 200 hits per year all the way to age 43 or 44. Rose, who averaged 183 hits per year not counting his last, abbreviated year (1986), had the following number of hits in his 40's years:

    At age 41 he had 172 hits
    age 42: 121 hits
    age 43: 107 hits
    age 44: 107 hits
    age 45: 52 hits

    So Rose, not surprisingly, really started to decline as he got into his early 40's. Modern training methods and good genes (who knows?) may help Derek push his decline out a bit, but continuing to average 192 hits a year until age 44, as would be required, seems pretty unlikely to me, and I'm not sure how you'd say he's ahead of Pete's pace at this point.

    Did I misunderstand you or am I missing something?

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    As a Yankee fan, it's been fun to watching Derek Jeter get off to one of the best starts of his career. Coming after two very slow starts, this has been refreshing.

    I thought it was worth mentioning that Jeter has passed a couple of pretty famous names this week on his climb up the all-time hit list. His single last night game him a baseball-best of 55 this year and 3,143 for his career. In the last few days, he's passed Tony Gwyn (3,141) and Robin Yount (3,142) to climb to 17th place on the all-time list. Next up is No. 16 Paul Waner (3,152), then No. 15 George Brett (3,154).

    Jeter should wind up 11th-to-13th by the end of this season, depending on his health and sustaining his current level of play. Even if he drops a little, he'll enter the all-time top 10 early next season.

    Can he make a run at Pete Rose's record? He's ahead of Pete's pace for both game's player and age. Too early to get excited and with Jeter's dropoff in 2010 and early in 2011, it looked impossible. But since midseason last year, Jeter has been his old self ... suddenly the chase of Rose appears to be be possible again.
    I wonder if Rose might be willing to place a small wager on that...

    (jk)
    Not leaving until the game is over.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up Oly. Love stuff like this.

    But when I'm looking at the numbers, I'm not seeing that Derek is ahead of Rose's pace. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
    Well Jeter has averaged 1.27 hits per game compared to Rose's 1.19 over his career and 1.26 through age 37. And with a month plus to go to his 38th birthday, he is on pace to have more hits at that point than Rose did (he needs 21 hits). I assume that's what Olympic Fan was referring to. (Though I do think it's very unlikely Jeter breaks, or even seriously challenges, Rose's record).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up Oly. Love stuff like this.

    But when I'm looking at the numbers, I'm not seeing that Derek is ahead of Rose's pace. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

    Jeter is 37 years old now, and will turn 38 in June. He's in his 18th season. If you remove his rookie year where he only played 15 games and had 12 hits, and just focus on his full seasons, he's averaged 192.25 hits per year prior to this year. At the outset of this year, he needed 1168 hits to tie Rose, which at the rate of 192.25 per year, would mean it would take him 6.07 years to tie him. This would take Derek to age 43 or 44.

    But that's if Jeter can continue to bang out almost 200 hits per year all the way to age 43 or 44. Rose, who averaged 183 hits per year not counting his last, abbreviated year (1986), had the following number of hits in his 40's years:

    At age 41 he had 172 hits
    age 42: 121 hits
    age 43: 107 hits
    age 44: 107 hits
    age 45: 52 hits

    So Rose, not surprisingly, really started to decline as he got into his early 40's. Modern training methods and good genes (who knows?) may help Derek push his decline out a bit, but continuing to average 192 hits a year until age 44, as would be required, seems pretty unlikely to me, and I'm not sure how you'd say he's ahead of Pete's pace at this point.

    Did I misunderstand you or am I missing something?
    I think Rose is slightly ahead of Jeter at Jeter's current age. However Jeter was ahead of Rose at the end of last season and will soon be ahead again (a product of Jeter's birthday being in June while Rose's is in April, so Jeter is amassing hits right now while Rose was in his offseason). I think it's reasonable to think that if Jeter plays as long as Rose played that he will break the record. I just don't think Jeter will stick around that long. He's a good 6 years away from breaking the record (if he stays very productive). Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

    Another interesting chase this year... can Hamilton win the triple crown? He's currently leading all 3 categories by a pretty wide margin. That would be pretty amazing. He essentially has a 50% lead over everyone in RBIs (44-29) and HRs (18-12) thus far. Certainly not an insurmountable lead but sizable. He's also currently hitting .400 which is obviously not sustainable. His biggest challenge might actually just be staying healthy. Something he hasn't done over the last few years. Currently ESPN projects him to hit 81 homers and amass 198 RBIs which would be impressive .

  5. #125

    jeter vs. rose

    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    But when I'm looking at the numbers, I'm not seeing that Derek is ahead of Rose's pace. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

    Did I misunderstand you or am I missing something?
    I don't understand why you are having trouble understanding this. It's simple: Jeter has taken less games to get to 3,143 hits than Rose took (actually 3,144 after tonight's game). He is more than two months younger than Rose when he reached the same hit level. He's averaging more hits a season and more hits an at bat than Rose.

    Derek Jeter is ahead -- very slightly ahead -- of Pete Rose's hit pace.

    Now, as many have pointed out, Rose remained productive well into his 40s, although it's worth noting that he had his last 200-hit season at age 38 (the same age that Jeter will be when this season is over). Jeter has not yet turned 38 (he does so in July). He'll have to play at a high level for several more years to make a real run at the record. Will he do that? A year ago -- after his poor 2010 and his poor first half in 2011 -- I'd say no. But since midseason 2011, he's played at a very high pace (I think I heard on a Yes telecast that he's hitting .344 since coming off the injury list late June in '11). He's currently leading all baseball in hits this season.

    I don't know the odds that Jeter hangs around long enough and plays well enough to get Rose's record -- maybe 20 percent? 10 percent? 30 percent?

    What I do know is that as of this moment, he's ahead of the pace that Rose set.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't understand why you are having trouble understanding this. It's simple: Jeter has taken less games to get to 3,143 hits than Rose took (actually 3,144 after tonight's game). He is more than two months younger than Rose when he reached the same hit level. He's averaging more hits a season and more hits an at bat than Rose.

    Derek Jeter is ahead -- very slightly ahead -- of Pete Rose's hit pace.

    Now, as many have pointed out, Rose remained productive well into his 40s, although it's worth noting that he had his last 200-hit season at age 38 (the same age that Jeter will be when this season is over). Jeter has not yet turned 38 (he does so in July). He'll have to play at a high level for several more years to make a real run at the record. Will he do that? A year ago -- after his poor 2010 and his poor first half in 2011 -- I'd say no. But since midseason 2011, he's played at a very high pace (I think I heard on a Yes telecast that he's hitting .344 since coming off the injury list late June in '11). He's currently leading all baseball in hits this season.

    I don't know the odds that Jeter hangs around long enough and plays well enough to get Rose's record -- maybe 20 percent? 10 percent? 30 percent?

    What I do know is that as of this moment, he's ahead of the pace that Rose set.
    I guess I just don't define "ahead of" in the same way you do, in this context. If Jeter plays 6 more years, until age 44, like I said, he'll need to average 192 hits per year in order to match Rose. Jeter has gotten 192 hits just once in the last four years, four times in the last eleven years, and "just" 7 times in his 17 year career prior to this year. And so now he's going to have to average that number, even as he gets to be extremely long in the tooth for a baseball player? I don't think so. I would define being "ahead of" Rose as a situation where Derek could gradually but decidedly slow down his hit totals as he entered his 40's and approached his mid-40's, as all players do, and still beat Pete's record. That would say "ahead of" to me. But that's not Derek's situation. He's going to have to remain at pretty close to peak performance until age 44 or longer in order to match Rose.

    As Rose himself said, "The first 3,000 hits are easy. Baseball’s an easy game to play when you’re 100 percent. But try getting those hits when you’re old, when your bat’s slow, when your back hurts.”

  7. #127

    ahead

    So Duke holds a 63-62 lead with 10 minutes to go against UNC ... and you don't define that as "ahead"?

    Maybe a better anaolgy would be all those years when people made a run at Babe Ruth's record 60 home runs. Ruth hit 17 home runs in the month of September that year, an extraordinary number. That meant that year after year, players would be ahead of Ruth's pace in July and even at the end of August. But nobody -- until Maris -- could match the pace through September.

    Well, Jeter is ahead of Rose's pace through the end of August. He'll still have to match Ruth/Rose's extraordinary September ... tough to do, but he's the first player since Rose to get to September 1st with a real chance to make a run.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 05-16-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: removed snark

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I guess I just don't define "ahead of" in the same way you do, in this context. If Jeter plays 6 more years, until age 44, like I said, he'll need to average 192 hits per year in order to match Rose. Jeter has gotten 192 hits just once in the last four years, four times in the last eleven years, and "just" 7 times in his 17 year career prior to this year. And so now he's going to have to average that number, even as he gets to be extremely long in the tooth for a baseball player? I don't think so. I would define being "ahead of" Rose as a situation where Derek could gradually but decidedly slow down his hit totals as he entered his 40's and approached his mid-40's, as all players do, and still beat Pete's record. That would say "ahead of" to me. But that's not Derek's situation. He's going to have to remain at pretty close to peak performance until age 44 or longer in order to match Rose.
    You're not really making any sense. Rose played past his 45th birthday, which for Jeter would mean playing through 2019, or 8 more seasons (including this one). That would require 146 hits a year (including this season when he already has 56 in 36 games). That pretty clearly would allow for a gradual decline in Jeter's level of performance while still reaching Rose's record without playing longer than Rose (in either age or length of career).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't understand why you are having trouble understanding this. It's simple: Jeter has taken less games to get to 3,143 hits than Rose took (actually 3,144 after tonight's game). He is more than two months younger than Rose when he reached the same hit level. He's averaging more hits a season and more hits an at bat than Rose.

    Derek Jeter is ahead -- very slightly ahead -- of Pete Rose's hit pace.
    According to this article: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...atch-pete-rose

    Rose had 3,164 hits as of 37 years and 302 days. Jeter is now older than that and still doesn't have 3,164 hits. So I think your stats are off there.

    Also using games played is a poor measure of how long they have played. Rose played more games per year than Jeter did (due to health, and just being in the lineup more) at this point in their careers. So I don't think it's really fair to say Jeter is ahead of pace. If anything I'd say he's slightly behind pace. However I think Jeter will either be more productive in his twilight or retire. There's no way he finishes out his career the way Rose did.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    As of today, Jeter has 3144 hits. He is 37 years, 10 months, and 21 days old.

    Pete Rose got hit number 3144 on September 14, 1978, when he went 2 for 4 in an 8-1 loss to the Padres in San Diego. On that date he was 37 years, 5 months old.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California

    Hello! St. Louis!

    On Tuesday, arriving by a circuitous route from the West Coast, which includes a paddlewheeler from Peoria, Carol and I will be visiting Busch Stadium where we will see the Cardinals host the Padres, thanks to the wonder that is StubHub. Let's hope the printouts scan at the gate.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    On Tuesday, arriving by a circuitous route from the West Coast, which includes a paddlewheeler from Peoria, Carol and I will be visiting Busch Stadium where we will see the Cardinals host the Padres, thanks to the wonder that is StubHub. Let's hope the printouts scan at the gate.
    If not, I'll distract the guard while you sneak in.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  13. #133
    Hey Jim3K, have a great trip!
    I'd love to do a baseball tour....

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hey Jim3K, have a great trip!
    I'd love to do a baseball tour....
    Not really doing a baseball tour, Weezie. Just happenstance to get to St. Louis when the Cards had a home game. Carol and I have been trying to get to all of the (reasonably accessible) national parks, though. We'll get a couple of more this trip.

    In 2010, we got to a game at Wrigley and another at the new Nats park (when Stephen Strasburg made his home debut against the White Sox and President Obama sneaked in above us.) But there are a lot of major league ballparks we've never even seen. Aside from the Oakland Coliseum, our most visited ballpark for games is Safeco. The Giants are next followed by the Angels' stadia and Chavez Ravine. I've been to Coors and whatever they now call Arizona's park (was The Bob, then). Have yet to catch a game at Petco. Most of the midwestern and eastern parks are simply out of our normal track.

    But you're right. A stadium tour could be a lot of fun. Even minor league parks are fun to go to. I love the one in Albuquerque and the one in Las Vegas. Tucson's, too. Years ago, Sick's housed the Seattle Pilots for a year. In high school, Bears Stadium in Denver; it eventually became Mile High and I used to see the Richmond Virginians in '61 and '62 when I was home from Duke. And Durham now has the most famous, DAP. First pro game I ever went to was a Northern League game, the Superior (WI) Blues against someone (maybe Duluth). Class D ball. I was 8.

  15. #135
    Not a Yankee fan but I've always admired Jeter. I didn't realize he was tracking Rose so closely. Lots of interesting happenings this season. Hamilton and Kemp getting off to incredible starts; Puljois batting .213 with 2 homers after 37 games; and the Orioles tied for 1st in the rugged American East after nearly 1/4 of the season. I've been a fan of the O's since Brooks, Boog, Frank, Earl, Mark, Paul and many others in the 60's. For the past several years, the O's have been out of the race by late May. I'm hoping that they can hang in there till July this year.

    gw67

  16. #136

    Hughes tonight

    Tonight is a big night for Yankee fans -- Phil Hughes is starting at Toronto.

    Hughes is becoming an important player in a staff that's struggling. With Pineda out for the year and Garcia hitting the wall, the Yankees are suddenly struggling to put five solid starters in the rotation. The Killer Bees clearly aren't ready. I mean, Sabathia has been a rock (despite his recent loss, he's 5-1). Nova has been fine and Kuroda has been what he's always been -- a 4th/5th starter. We're down to relying on Andy Pettite's return after two years (he looked okay, but not great in his first start).

    That puts a lot on Mr. Hughes. As you know, he was great in 2010 (18-8 and an all-star). At age 24, he looked like a coming star.

    Then we get 2011 and Hughes is 5-5 with an ERA approaching 6. And although he showed some promise this spring, he was just awful in his early starts.

    But with the arrival of May, it started to change. He took a loss on May 1, but he went 5.2 innings and gave up just four hits and one walk (unfortunately four runs). On May 6, he got a win when he went 6.2 innings, giving up six hits, one walk and three runs. And the last time out, against Seattle, he went 7.2 innings, gave up six hits, one walk and just one run.

    That looks like progress, although it's just a three-game sample. That's why I think tonight is so important. If he can confirm that progress with another decent start, our rotation will look a lot better. If he reverts to his 2011 form, we are hurting.

    I'm holding my breath.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs

    Kerry Wood

    At the age of 34, after a career that was marked by moments of brilliance but tortured by seemingly endless injures, Kerry Wood is hanging up his spikes. He had been largely ineffective this season with an ERA in the 8s and he knew it was time. He went out on his own terms though, striking out the last batter he faced (how fitting) and then walking off the field to thunderous applause and a tender hug from his son.

    Watch it here.

    --Jason "he made $70 mil in his career, so he ain't exactly suffering... but still, oh what might have been" Evans
    Don't ask me why, but my mother is making me Tweet. Says it will be good for my career. So, follow my ramblings, mostly on the film industry, @TVFilmTalk

  18. #138

    Bummer bummer BUMMED!!!

    One out in the ninth! Throwing the serious heat! Mowing them down.....

    AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! One lousy hit.

    Verlander, the best, simply the best. Who else threatens a no hit every time he takes the mound?!

    GEEEEE Whiz!!!!

  19. #139

    Pitching performances

    Obviously a strong performance by Verlander. Agree that he's the top guy in the game at this moment.

    His near no-no should not overshadow another remarkable pitching performance. Andy Pettite, making his second start after his one-year layoff, stopped the Reds on four hits (all singles) and no runs through eight innings. He walked just one and struck out nine.

    The Yankees needed that after getting swept in Toronto.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California

    Report from St. Louis

    First, the Padres are bad but not as bad as they appear. They were in this game until the 6th when a bad call at the plate permitted the Cards' second run. Descalso was on third. Beltran bounced to third. The throw to the plate seemed perfect to me and Descalso ran into the tag. Called safe. From my vantage point down the first base line, it was a wrong call. Bud Black argued to no avail.

    Then a third run scored more conventionally due to a shortstop blunder.

    But the pitchers were relatively equal, though the Cards' Wainwright did get a complete game win. Given the run support he had, he deserved it as the better team won. Still, the Pads' starter Volquez was pretty decent. He could have gotten out of the 6th with only one run had rookie ss Everth Cabrera turned an inning-ending double play into a force at second, allowing the third run to score. The only reason it wasn't an error was because he managed to roll the ball to the second baseman for the force.

    The Pads' lack of offense ultimately killed them. They only got 4 hits off Wainwright and left the two who had gotten into scoring position (via doubles) stranded.

    It was a nice soft St. Louis evening. Very pleasant, even if the baseball could have been better played.

Similar Threads

  1. New 2012 Recruiting Thread
    By Newton_14 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 467
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 01:50 AM
  2. 2012 AP All-Americans (post-season, not pre-season!)
    By superdave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
  3. 2012 recruiting thread
    By Osiagledknarf in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3572
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
  4. Bad news for Duke baseball-Marconcini to miss season
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
  5. Duke Baseball - 2009 Thread
    By chrishoke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •