Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

On all the topics here...

-Chipper Jones: I think Chipper is a first ballot guy. That honor is reserved not only for top performers but guys who are icons to an era, or at least a team. Chippers is absolutely an icon for the Braves. He said himself (and I pardon his hubris) in Sports Illustrated a couple weeks ago that he believes he is the 'face of Southern baseball,' having grown up in panhandle Florida and playing all of his minor league ball in other sub-DC East Coast states. Even though his Braves teams enjoyed their biggest success when they had that nasty pitching rotation, Jones is still the face of the 90s and the 00s for the second most successful team in that timespan (the Yankees being first, in my opinion).

-Steroid era: I hate that there are writers who automatically write off guys from this era because of the PEDs issue. Gaylord Perry admitted that he threw spitballs, which at the time were actually illegal in the game, unlike PEDs prior to 2003 (well, there was no testing, so any rules were unenforceable). Cal and Gwynn got in first ballot, so too should the other icons of the time. I don't even think that some of the users should be barred from the HoF, but that's probably more of a minority opinion. The guys in the Hall should be the guys whom it is impossible to discuss baseball without. If you can discuss the eras of Pete Rose or Mark McGwire or Roger Clemens without mentioning them, then you are lying.

-AL MVP: Cabrera leads Trout by a percentage point in AVG, but Trout leads in a lot of other categories: runs, steals, ridiculous highlight reel catches. Cabrera is about to have an awesome historical accomplishment, but I saw that Trout also has some notable accomplishments as far as his collection of stats (I think it was something with HR, SB, and R, but I forget). Trout's team is also better, in a tougher division (not that these things should mean anything in this race, because unlike in basketball, one man a team cannot make). I think its Trout. Kudos to Cabrera for an awesome offensive season, though. I just think Trout is the most VALUABLE guy, especially as you could slot this season he just had as pretty much any spot in a lineup, and he would be solid.

-NL ROY: As a Nats fan I think its Harper, but I know the arguments for Miley and Frazier, too. Harper has just finished an epic September. Any thoughts?

-Today's Rangers-A's game is going to be fun, as will be the subsequent Yankees and Orioles games tonight. I, too, am hoping for that Rangers-Yankees play-in game, and a subsequent A's-O's ALCS, mainly for color clashing purposes.

-Expansion is not happening anytime soon. I was following closely when MLB was figuring out where to move the Expos, and serious consideration was given to contraction. Las Vegas came in second to DC for the team, so if they decided to expand, that would be the first city I would expect to get a team. The other would be an interesting toss-up for a number of AAA cities, with Durham being in the discussion but ultimately, in my opinion, falling short.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    -
    -AL MVP: Cabrera leads Trout by a percentage point in AVG, but Trout leads in a lot of other categories: runs, steals, ridiculous highlight reel catches. Cabrera is about to have an awesome historical accomplishment, but I saw that Trout also has some notable accomplishments as far as his collection of stats (I think it was something with HR, SB, and R, but I forget). Trout's team is also better, in a tougher division (not that these things should mean anything in this race, because unlike in basketball, one man a team cannot make). I think its Trout. Kudos to Cabrera for an awesome offensive season, though. I just think Trout is the most VALUABLE guy, especially as you could slot this season he just had as pretty much any spot in a lineup, and he would be solid.

-
    If Cabrera wins the Triple Crown -- the first in 50 years -- he gets my vote. Moreover, he led his team to a pennant.

Trout has had a phenomenal season and will have many more chances to win.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If Cabrera wins the Triple Crown -- the first in 50 years -- he gets my vote. Moreover, he led his team to a pennant.
    Yes, Cabrera boldly led his team to a majestic 87-win season, while Trout's Angels were only able to muster a paltry 89 wins.

ESPN is running a crawl that The Cardinals will start Lohse, not Lynn, in Friday's wild card tango de la muerte. Against Medlen, of course.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Trout has had a phenomenal season and will have many more chances to win.

sagegrouse
    I think we've pretty much established in the sabremetric revolution that while the TC is a great accomplishment, it doesn't necessarily define the most valuable player. RBI and AVG are both flawed stats, RBI in particular as it pertains to an MVP race, since it inherently requires good teammates.

Again, nothing against Cabrera, but Trout's numbers and overall performance appear more 'valuable.'

I think we've pretty much established in the sabremetric revolution that while the TC is a great accomplishment, it doesn't necessarily define the most valuable player. RBI and AVG are both flawed stats, RBI in particular as it pertains to an MVP race, since it inherently requires good teammates.

Again, nothing against Cabrera, but Trout's numbers and overall performance appear more 'valuable.'
    I don't think that's been widely established. There's not even an established formula to calculate WAR, one of the most highly regarded averages of the sabremetric movement. There's plenty of people out there that value getting on base and driving in runs. Scoring runs is great, but in most instances, you need someone to bring you in. You can't discredit scoring runs when it usually takes someone at the plate to give you the opportunity to score.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Here's an update on how the playoffs can settle tonight: http://mlb.si.com/2012/10/03/game-16...son-scenarios/

Some interesting scenarios for how the playoffs can be seeded. Even though all the playoff spots are filled, should still be an exciting night of baseball.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

If the Orioles win tonight, they are guaranteed a Camden Yards game (either against the Yanks on Thurs, or hosting a wild card on Friday, or both).

If the Orioles lose tonight, they are guaranteed to be on the road on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I don't think that's been widely established. There's not even an established formula to calculate WAR, one of the most highly regarded averages of the sabremetric movement. There's plenty of people out there that value getting on base and driving in runs. Scoring runs is great, but in most instances, you need someone to bring you in. You can't discredit scoring runs when it usually takes someone at the plate to give you the opportunity to score.
    At the very least, there is doubt that a TC winner is automatically the most valuable player. You are correct, there is definite WAR calculation, but I believe the different services who have done the most analysis on the matter agree that Trout leads it.

At the very least, there is doubt that a TC winner is automatically the most valuable player. You are correct, there is definite WAR calculation, but I believe the different services who have done the most analysis on the matter agree that Trout leads it.
    I've always thought they should include things like defense and base running to determine an MVP. If you do look at these, there is no way Trout should lose it. There is more to baseball than swinging a bat.

Congratulations, Washington! The Nats have clinched the homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and have the best record in baseball. Who'd a thunk it?

sagegrouse

Rangers in Charge

Put up a five-spot in the third inning, lead 5-1.

Jim3K is feeling queasy.

sagegrouse

Jim3K is feeling queasy.
    And Miguel Cabrera is feeling pleased Hamilton settled for a single in the inning.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Tie Game!

Jim3K is feeling queasy.

sagegrouse
    5-5!! A's tie it up in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Jim3K is breathing normally, but nurse has been summoned just in case.

sage

7-5 A's

5-5!! A's tie it up in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Jim3K is breathing normally, but nurse has been summoned just in case.

sage
    Josh Hamilton muffs one in centerfield -- two runs score. A's lead, 7-5.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    If the Orioles win tonight, they are guaranteed a Camden Yards game (either against the Yanks on Thurs, or hosting a wild card on Friday, or both).

If the Orioles lose tonight, they are guaranteed to be on the road on Friday.
    O's have Chris Tillman going tonight. Tillman is 9-2 with a 2.78 ERA on the season has really been pitching well of late. There was a question on whether or not the O's should push Tillman back to start a potential wild card game. I think it's a good move to let him start tonight: O's can still win the AL East race and if we end of playing in the WC game, I REALLY want it at OPACY.

8-5 A's in Eighth Inning

Josh Hamilton muffs one in centerfield -- two runs score. A's lead, 7-5.

sage
    A's lead 8-5 in the middle of the 8th. Three more outs for Texas.

sagegrouse

Jim3K is feeling queasy.

sagegrouse
    Queasy gone. A's up 7th in the 8th
    Last edited by Jim3k; 10-03-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: premature

A's Win!!!

A's lead 8-5 in the middle of the 8th. Three more outs for Texas.

sagegrouse
    A's win! A's win! 12-5 final score. I figured it would be a rout, one way or the other, but when the Rangers scored 5 in the third, I figured it would be Texas. Not so!

Jiom3K, while not feeling queasy according to first person reports, is now experiencing rapid and shallow breaths. Calls for medical assistance. Ms. 3K suggests that he lighten up on the painkillers and other meds. No mercy.

Can't be too careful with health issues for the -- ahem -- more "experienced" members of the DBR Board. As housemates on the second floor of House J, Jim3K and Sagegrouse paid a visit during Orientation Week to the new Duke President, who happened to be Julio and -jk's grandfather. This may have been before either was born.

sagegrouse

A's win! A's win! 12-5 final score. I figured it would be a rout, one way or the other, but when the Rangers scored 5 in the third, I figured it would be Texas. Not so!

Jiom3K, while not feeling queasy according to first person reports, is now experiencing rapid and shallow breaths. Calls for medical assistance. Ms. 3K suggests that he lighten up on the painkillers and other meds. No mercy.

Can't be too careful with health issues for the -- ahem -- more "experienced" members of the DBR Board. As housemates on the second floor of House J, Jim3K and Sagegrouse paid a visit during Orientation Week to the new Duke President, who happened to be Julio and -jk's grandfather. This may have been before either was born.

sagegrouse
    And now, I'm heading to the gym to get my breath back! And stretch and... I've taken my morning meds. The evening meds will wait.