Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Nats-Braves

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Sure enough, the Nats blew the sweep by losing to the Mets this afternoon. This trend is just bizarre. The Nats scored enough to win - 5 runs on 14 hits is usually good enough with their pitching - but All-Star Gio Gonzalez couldn't locate his pitches and gave up 6 ER in 3.1 innings today - possibly his worst outing of the season.

On to Atlanta, starting tomorrow night.
    And just as the Nats were blowing the sweep against the Mets, the Braves were avoiding being swept by the Giants.

So the two contenders meet tomorrow with the Nats 31/2 games up on the Braves. It's a three-game series so the Braves could get within a half-game with a sweep. It's too early to suggest that the series is critical, but a Nats sweep would sure give them some breathing room. A 2-1 split either way, doesn't make a huge difference in the race at this point.

The first game should set the tone -- Hanson vs. Strasburg. Saturday is kind of a wild card -- Sheets vs. Jackson. Jurrjens vs. Detwiler Sunday.

Wow! What a huge win for the Braves after being down 9-0 and coming back to win in the 11th inning. Braves down 2 1/2 games with a double header tomorrow. Should be interesting!

I was at the Oakland Coliseum tonight watching the A's walk-off victory against the Yankees. It was quite a game. A's rookie Tommy Milone shut out the Yankees for 7 innings, striking out 10 in the process. Ivan Nova was almost as good for the Yankees, though he did give up 2 runs. Not until the A's bullpen made its appearance in the 8th did the Yankees do much. At that point, Russell Martin saw a fastball from Jerry Blevins which he put into the left field seats. Then, in the 9th, the Yankees tied it with Cano's lead-off shot off all-star closer Ryan Cook. Cook then allowed nothing after that.

So Cook ended up with the win and a blown save, as the Yanks' sidearmer Cody Eppley could do nothing with the three A's he faced. First Yoenis Cespedes (4 for 5) led off with a sharp single. That was followed by Johnny Gomes' infield hit to short which took a nasty hop that Jeter could only grab from behind. Then Brandon Moss, who had twice failed to deliver with the bases loaded, hit a nasty liner into right. Andruw Jones made a pretty nice play on the ball, but Cespedes had read it well and was streaking for the plate. Jones hurried his throw which went up the line and Cespedes scored for the walk-off single.

So far in this series, the A's have won 2. There are two more to play over the weekend. This win meant that the A's were 11-2 so far in July. It was also their tenth walk-off win of the season. It broke the Yanks' streak of 43 (?) straight games where they had scored at least three runs.

My overall impression so far is that while the Yankees are very good offensively--Cano is white-hot--their pitching is only a little better than average. They may have the best overall record in the AL, but they can be had. My feeling is that both Texas and the Angels are a hair better. And if the A's continue to surge, they can claim to be better as well.

Still, it's only July and many of the A's wins have been one-run games or walk-offs. I doubt they can continue this pace. Still, it's fun to watch them. They are now 5 over .500 and are closing both the wild card and division leader gaps.

Can anybody explain why the AL East has so many teams over .500? Indeed, as I write this the AL as a whole has ten teams playing better than .500 ball. Has the AL dominated inter league play to that extent? If so, that's a real distortion and does not reflect the relative strength of the squads among themselves. That may explain my eyeball assessment that Texas, the Angels, Yanks, and Baltimore are fairly even on the field. I don't actually regard the A's as that good, but as long as their pitching continues (league leading ERA of 3.71), they are in the hunt. Their offense is only a little better than dismal. They had 13 hits tonight and only 3 runs to show for it, stranding 14. That does not bode well for long term success. Still, 12-2 in July so far ain't chopped liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I was at the Oakland Coliseum tonight watching the A's walk-off victory against the Yankees. It was quite a game. A's rookie Tommy Milone shut out the Yankees for 7 innings, striking out 10 in the process. Ivan Nova was almost as good for the Yankees, though he did give up 2 runs. Not until the A's bullpen made its appearance in the 8th did the Yankees do much. At that point, Russell Martin saw a fastball from Jerry Blevins which he put into the left field seats. Then, in the 9th, the Yankees tied it with Cano's lead-off shot off all-star closer Ryan Cook. Cook then allowed nothing after that.

So Cook ended up with the win and a blown save, as the Yanks' sidearmer Cody Eppley could do nothing with the three A's he faced. First Yoenis Cespedes (4 for 5) led off with a sharp single. That was followed by Johnny Gomes' infield hit to short which took a nasty hop that Jeter could only grab from behind. Then Brandon Moss, who had twice failed to deliver with the bases loaded, hit a nasty liner into right. Andruw Jones made a pretty nice play on the ball, but Cespedes had read it well and was streaking for the plate. Jones hurried his throw which went up the line and Cespedes scored for the walk-off single.

So far in this series, the A's have won 2. There are two more to play over the weekend. This win meant that the A's were 11-2 so far in July. It was also their tenth walk-off win of the season. It broke the Yanks' streak of 43 (?) straight games where they had scored at least three runs.

My overall impression so far is that while the Yankees are very good offensively--Cano is white-hot--their pitching is only a little better than average. They may have the best overall record in the AL, but they can be had. My feeling is that both Texas and the Angels are a hair better. And if the A's continue to surge, they can claim to be better as well.

Still, it's only July and many of the A's wins have been one-run games or walk-offs. I doubt they can continue this pace. Still, it's fun to watch them. They are now 5 over .500 and are closing both the wild card and division leader gaps.

Can anybody explain why the AL East has so many teams over .500? Indeed, as I write this the AL as a whole has ten teams playing better than .500 ball. Has the AL dominated inter league play to that extent? If so, that's a real distortion and does not reflect the relative strength of the squads among themselves. That may explain my eyeball assessment that Texas, the Angels, Yanks, and Baltimore are fairly even on the field. I don't actually regard the A's as that good, but as long as their pitching continues (league leading ERA of 3.71), they are in the hunt. Their offense is only a little better than dismal. They had 13 hits tonight and only 3 runs to show for it, stranding 14. That does not bode well for long term success. Still, 12-2 in July so far ain't chopped liver.
    Well, Jim, we were scoreboard watching a bit at the Big A last night as my 6 yr old and I took in the Halos and the Rangers as they opened a big three game set. Hard to believe the A's are only 1 1/2 games behind the Angels for the wildcard. Love it.

But I agree with you that the Rangers and Angels are a cut above. The Angels have been very hot over the last couple of months since their awful start, yet still have only gained a couple of games on Texas, which tells you how well Texas has been playing. Even with Hamilton's slump. The Halos, with Trumbo, Trout, and Pujols as the hitting stars, but then being backed up with Torii Hunter, Kendrys Morales, young speedster Peter Bourjos, Howie Kendrick, and even one of last night's stars Erick Aybar -- that lineup is just potent. Pujols has been on an absolute tear since hitting bottom in mid-to-late May, and don't be surprised if he ends up close to .300 with 30 HR's. Which would be amazing considering that dreadful start. I think that if the season ended right now, both Trout and Trumbo would be on the short list for AL MVP. Both are in the top 10 in the league in both slugging and OPS. Trumbo, nobody is all that surprised about, but Mike Trout has been incredible. Sure, he's leading the league in hitting, he's scored runs in 12 straight games now, but he's not that big of a guy and he's got 15 bombs already too! Including one to the opposite field last night that knocked Derek Holland out. Trumbo's HR last night - which drew him to within one of Hamilton and Adam Dunn for the league lead - was an absolute rocket that didn't get more than 10 feet off the ground.

But the key for LA is going to be the pitching. Weaver won last night to go to 12-1, even though he didn't have his best stuff and was facing the strong Texas lineup. Whenever he got in a jam, he managed to get the critical hitter, and that's how you win big games. He had Josh Hamilton overmatched, as the big guy barely got a bat on the ball, except to hit into an inning-ending double play. When they back Weaver up with CJ Wilson, who's been very good this year, and then Danny Haren, who comes off the DL tonight to face the Rangers, that's a threesome I'd be happy to head into the postseason with. That way they don't have to rely on Ervin Santana, who has had just a bad year.

LA and Texas have tonight and tomorrow, but then face each other 10 more times this year too. I have a feeling they'll both make the postseason, and then have to contend not only with each other there, but also of course the Yankees. It's gonna be fun.

Braves

Quote Originally Posted by mr shadow 008 View Post
    Wow! What a huge win for the Braves after being down 9-0 and coming back to win in the 11th inning. Braves down 2 1/2 games with a double header tomorrow. Should be interesting!
    I was following the Braves-Nats game as closely as possible on the MLB Network. Their live look-ins provided most of the highlights as they happened.

A huge night for Dan Uggla (3-of-4 from the plate, scored the winning run and ended that game with the greatest defensive play of his career). Huge hits by Chipper -- a single with the bases loaded in the eighth and by Michael Bourn, who tripled off the wall to drive in the tying and go-ahead runs in the ninth.

Bad night for Tommy Hanson. The Bullpen was great -- except for one pitch the Kinbrall made to Espinosa in the bottom of the ninth that he hit for a game-tying homer -- forcing the Braves to win it in the 11th.

Even so, the comeback from a 9-0 deficit -- against Stephan Strasburg! -- is amazing. It ties the greatest comeback in Braves history.

The game raises another issue. We've been talking about the issues raised by the Nats' determination to limit Strasburg's pitches and maybe shut him down early. This game may be a consequence -- although after throwing five dominant, shutout innings, he DID seem to be losing it in the sixth. And he had thrown 103 pitches when he was pulled after 5.1 innings.

Three more games in the series (I read the schedule wrong in my earlier post -- I had a preseason schedule and didn't realize that today's doubleheader was scheduled after an earlier rainout). It will be very interesting to see if Friday night's game has any carryover ,,, it's the game of game that can beat a team three or four times.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Braves pickup of Ben Sheets might work out ok.

He pitched 6 shutout innings in his first start. He has done the exact same so far today against the Nats. 1-0 Braves in the first game of the DH going to the 7th inning.

-Jason "the 24 hours from last night's comeback to the end of today's double-header are potentially the most important 24 hours of the Braves season" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Well, Jim, we were scoreboard watching a bit at the Big A last night as my 6 yr old and I took in the Halos and the Rangers as they opened a big three game set. Hard to believe the A's are only 1 1/2 games behind the Angels for the wildcard. Love it.
    Sounds like good family fun. I have enjoyed both versions of the Big A. Great soft baseball evenings. And with a 6-year-old, even better. My children are way too old now (one is a Nats fan, having moved to DC), but it was fun to take them when they were young.

But I agree with you that the Rangers and Angels are a cut above. The Angels have been very hot over the last couple of months since their awful start, yet still have only gained a couple of games on Texas, which tells you how well Texas has been playing. Even with Hamilton's slump. The Halos, with Trumbo, Trout, and Pujols as the hitting stars, but then being backed up with Torii Hunter, Kendrys Morales, young speedster Peter Bourjos, Howie Kendrick, and even one of last night's stars Erick Aybar -- that lineup is just potent. Pujols has been on an absolute tear since hitting bottom in mid-to-late May, and don't be surprised if he ends up close to .300 with 30 HR's. Which would be amazing considering that dreadful start. I think that if the season ended right now, both Trout and Trumbo would be on the short list for AL MVP. Both are in the top 10 in the league in both slugging and OPS. Trumbo, nobody is all that surprised about, but Mike Trout has been incredible. Sure, he's leading the league in hitting, he's scored runs in 12 straight games now, but he's not that big of a guy and he's got 15 bombs already too! Including one to the opposite field last night that knocked Derek Holland out. Trumbo's HR last night - which drew him to within one of Hamilton and Adam Dunn for the league lead - was an absolute rocket that didn't get more than 10 feet off the ground.
    Nice to get some validation. The Angels are indeed potent. Trout and Cespedes are both making themselves felt.

But the key for LA is going to be the pitching.
    True for LA, Oakland, Texas, Yanks and O's. In fact, a baseball truism.

Injuries, however, are a wild card. Last night the Yanks removed Swisher due to a niggling injury they didn't want to aggravate; they have already lost Gardner. Dunno if Swisher would have made a better throw to the plate than Jones did in the ninth. I think Cespedes scores against either, but who knows... Earlier the A's placed Pennington on the disabled list. Pennington is a defensive loss. He may be the best defensive shortstop in the majors. Too bad that value is offset by his awful hitting. And the Angels have lost pitcher Dan Haren and OF Vernon Wells to the DL. Anyway, injuries will play a role in the AL race.

Injuries, however, are a wild card. Last night the Yanks removed Swisher due to a niggling injury they didn't want to aggravate; they have already lost Gardner. Dunno if Swisher would have made a better throw to the plate than Jones did in the ninth. I think Cespedes scores against either, but who knows... Earlier the A's placed Pennington on the disabled list. Pennington is a defensive loss. He may be the best defensive shortstop in the majors. Too bad that value is offset by his awful hitting. And the Angels have lost pitcher Dan Haren and OF Vernon Wells to the DL. Anyway, injuries will play a role in the AL race.
    Haren will be back tomorrow night for the finale against Texas. Today's disastrous outing by Ervin Santana, which like I indicated in my earlier post has been all too common this year, makes it even more obvious that they need Haren back and back healthy.

As for Vernon Wells, I don't think there's a spot for him in the starting lineup even when he's healthy. The usual starting outfield is Trumbo in left, Trout in center and Torii Hunter in right. Kendrys Morales is the DH. Against lefties, like last night, sometimes they move Trumbo to DH, sit Morales, move Trout to left and start the young and speedy Peter Bourjos in center. I guess they could get some AB's for Wells by putting him in left against lefties and keeping Trout in center and leaving Bourjos on the bench, but I like the lineup better with Bourjos in it. This logjam was the reason the team cut Bobby Abreu earlier in the year -- just not enough spots for everyone. What may end up happening is they deal one of these outfielders for a starting pitcher for the stretch run. The Halos would love to unload Wells (and his contract), but everyone is going to want Bourjos instead. May be a tough call whether or not to make that kind of deal.

By the way, even in today's loss, Mike Trout scored a run, which is the 13th straight game in which he has scored. This is the longest such streak by a rookie in 60 years, though he still has a long way to go to reach Billy Hamilton's alltime record of 24 straight games, set in 1894, or even the AL record of 18, last accomplished by Kenny Lofton in 2000.
    Last edited by tommy; 07-21-2012 at 07:13 PM.

That may explain my eyeball assessment that Texas, the Angels, Yanks, and Baltimore are fairly even on the field.
    The first three certainly certainly look like the class of the league, but I don't think the Orioles are anywhere near their. I think their record is better than their general level of play warrants, which is great, but suggests they're unlikely to continue at that pace, and we've started to see that already. I also think their level of play is likely to decline, with Jason Hammel, even ignoring his injury, unlikely to continue pitching so well, and while I don't know anything about Wei-Yin Chen, I think tougher sledding in the second half is likely for him. Unless they make a significant acquisition, I'd be pretty surprised if they're in contention for a playoff spot down the stretch.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Haren will be back tomorrow night for the finale against Texas. Today's disastrous outing by Ervin Santana, which like I indicated in my earlier post has been all too common this year, makes it even more obvious that they need Haren back and back healthy.

As for Vernon Wells, I don't think there's a spot for him in the starting lineup even when he's healthy. The usual starting outfield is Trumbo in left, Trout in center and Torii Hunter in right. Kendrys Morales is the DH. Against lefties, like last night, sometimes they move Trumbo to DH, sit Morales, move Trout to left and start the young and speedy Peter Bourjos in center. I guess they could get some AB's for Wells by putting him in left against lefties and keeping Trout in center and leaving Bourjos on the bench, but I like the lineup better with Bourjos in it. This logjam was the reason the team cut Bobby Abreu earlier in the year -- just not enough spots for everyone. What may end up happening is they deal one of these outfielders for a starting pitcher for the stretch run. The Halos would love to unload Wells (and his contract), but everyone is going to want Bourjos instead. May be a tough call whether or not to make that kind of deal.

By the way, even in today's loss, Mike Trout scored a run, which is the 13th straight game in which he has scored. This is the longest such streak by a rookie in 60 years, though he still has a long way to go to reach Billy Hamilton's alltime record of 24 straight games, set in 1894, or even the AL record of 18, last accomplished by Kenny Lofton in 2000.
    Vernon Wells is awful. He has a giant fork sticking out of his back. No one considers him lost. He's a sunk cost - they've already made the mistake of paying him however many tens of millions of dollars - they shouldn't compound it by putting him on the field and making the team worse.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Vernon Wells is awful. He has a giant fork sticking out of his back. No one considers him lost. He's a sunk cost - they've already made the mistake of paying him however many tens of millions of dollars - they shouldn't compound it by putting him on the field and making the team worse.
    QFT.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Vernon Wells, lol. Gee whiz, isn't he nearing 50?

I enjoy checking this thread but for now I'll just admit that it's easier to watch the Tigers in a state of constant anxiety.
    Uneasiness suits me.

This is the screwiest line score I've ever seen:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320721124

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This is the screwiest line score I've ever seen:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320721124
    The article doesn't mention this (and it would be one of those screwy baseball stat kind of things) but I have to think it's the most runs scored in a single inning of a game in which no other runs were scored (if that makes sense).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "the 24 hours from last night's comeback to the end of today's double-header are potentially the most important 24 hours of the Braves season" Evans
    Not really. Looks like a series split.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    THAT'S gonna leave a mark...ouch.

Act like you've done it before.

But really, the A's have not done it before (except in 1972 and 1914). And that is to sweep the Yanks in a 4 game series. According to the SF Chron:

The sweep:

1) against the Yankees [was] for only the second time since 1914; Oakland took a four-game series in New York, July 14-16, 1972

2) [was] against the team with the best record in baseball for the first time since Sept. 26-28, 1977, against Kansas City.

3) at the Coliseum [was] for the first time since Sept. 17-20, 2009, against Cleveland.

4) [was] for the first time anywhere since the season-ending set at Seattle, Sept. 30-Oct. 3, 2010.
    In addition, for July, the A's are now 14-2; are tied with the Angels and the O's for first wildcard (or 1/2 game behind if the Angels win later tonight.)

The walk-offs are getting to be de rigueur and have been a lot of fun. This come from behind win (from a 0-4 deficit) took a ninth inning tying home run by Seth Smith and 12 innings to complete. Eleven different players have been involved in these walk-offs; Crisp's single this afternoon was his second winning RBI this year. And it may have been a bit of a fluke, since Norris was on second only due to Jemile Weeks' self-called bunt. It turned into a brilliant one-out sacrifice, but Weeks was only trying to get on. Once Norris was at second, the table was set for Crisp.

Maybe Yankee manager Joe Girardi shouldn't call upon Eppley in that situation in the future. He was on the mound for the A's Friday walk-off hit by Moss.

But even A's manager Bob Melvin isn't all that excited. As he observes, it's only July and one doesn't look at the standings all that closely until August or even September.

So far, the run through Texas and the AL East has been encouraging. On Tuesday, the A's are in Toronto and then on to Baltimore, followed by home games against Tampa Bay. So the AL East endurance test will continue. Whether the A's are contenders or pretenders will become more clear after that ordeal is completed.

But they are fun to watch. (Looks like the Angels have won tonight, beating Texas 7-4.)

But really, the A's have not done it before (except in 1972 and 1914). And that is to sweep the Yanks in a 4 game series. According to the SF Chron:

The sweep:

In addition, for July, the A's are now 14-2; are tied with the Angels and the O's for first wildcard (or 1/2 game behind if the Angels win later tonight.)

The walk-offs are getting to be de rigueur and have been a lot of fun. This come from behind win (from a 0-4 deficit) took a ninth inning tying home run by Seth Smith and 12 innings to complete. Eleven different players have been involved in these walk-offs; Crisp's single this afternoon was his second winning RBI this year. And it may have been a bit of a fluke, since Norris was on second only due to Jemile Weeks' self-called bunt. It turned into a brilliant one-out sacrifice, but Weeks was only trying to get on. Once Norris was at second, the table was set for Crisp.

Maybe Yankee manager Joe Girardi shouldn't call upon Eppley in that situation in the future. He was on the mound for the A's Friday walk-off hit by Moss.

But even A's manager Bob Melvin isn't all that excited. As he observes, it's only July and one doesn't look at the standings all that closely until August or even September.

So far, the run through Texas and the AL East has been encouraging. On Tuesday, the A's are in Toronto and then on to Baltimore, followed by home games against Tampa Bay. So the AL East endurance test will continue. Whether the A's are contenders or pretenders will become more clear after that ordeal is completed.

But they are fun to watch. (Looks like the Angels have won tonight, beating Texas 7-4.)
    That was unbelievably beautiful. And to see the arrogant Yankees have to explain it to the press. I'm getting a little verklempt.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The article doesn't mention this (and it would be one of those screwy baseball stat kind of things) but I have to think it's the most runs scored in a single inning of a game in which no other runs were scored (if that makes sense).
    Speaking of screwy things, the frisky Buccos had an interesting inning over the weekend. Scored four runs without a hit, and no one recorded an official at-bat until the 9th guy came to the plate.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320721123

"The most recent time a team scored four runs in one inning without a hit was the Oakland Athletics on Sept 23, 1998, against Seattle, according to STATS, LLC. Also according to STATS, LLC, only once in the past 28 years has an inning started with each of the first eight men going to the plate and failing to record an official at-bat: St. Louis did it against Philadelphia on June 26, 1991."

I am very nervous about what Huntingdon might do at the trade deadline to add another bat to the lineup. He's been pretty active in past years, but it's usually to dump guys who they can't resign or are not in the plans, pick up some prospects, or take a low-risk flyer on an old vet. With Karstens back, I don't think they need to mess with the pitching staff. The hitting won't be as bad as it was in April/May, and it won't stay as good as it's been in June/July, so the real question is where in the middle will it land for August/Sept?

If they add anyone, he better be a solid locker room guy and not someone looking to cash a check. Their best asset right now (just as important as the pitching) is the "Zoltan" mojo that Hurdle has created. I would be happy if the Buccos stood pat right now...
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Beg to differ. Braves could be in first if they'd swept. After 4 games, right back where they started.