Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    That call became very important when the Dodgers rallied for three in the top of the ninth and won 3-2. The Cardinals protested on the basis of Reardon's misinformation and Ford Frick agreed with them -- he ordered the game replayed from the beginning. The Dodgers won the replay and the pennant.

I think that if baseball admits that the Padres were spoofed by the homeplate ump's mistake, they should order a replay of that game. The rule in every sport is clear -- you stop when the ref/ump orders play stopped -- no "Well, I better keep running because he might not really mean it."
    Why replay the whole game? Why nullify everything that happened before the disputed play? Shouldn't you just treat the disputed play like a "dead ball" and replay from that moment? That seems the only logical way to resolve an issue where an ump makes an incorrect communication and changes a play. Pretend the play did not exist and go from there... I don't see why you would pretend like the entire game until that point did not exist.

-Jason "I have a bigger problem with an ump actually telling a player something wrong versus an ump making a hand signal that was misunderstood" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Why replay the whole game? Why nullify everything that happened before the disputed play? Shouldn't you just treat the disputed play like a "dead ball" and replay from that moment? That seems the only logical way to resolve an issue where an ump makes an incorrect communication and changes a play. Pretend the play did not exist and go from there... I don't see why you would pretend like the entire game until that point did not exist.
    True, that is what happened with the pine tar game in 1983
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

replay

-Jason "I have a bigger problem with an ump actually telling a player something wrong versus an ump making a hand signal that was misunderstood" Evans
    So what do you do with the replay? Do you put Northey on third base? Do you give him the home run? Or do you go back to the at-bat and have Northey at the plate?

Either way, if you replay it from the bottom of the eighth, you erase Brooklyn's ninth inning rally, which you have to admit is pretty improbable. It's even more improbable if you replay it from the point of Reardon's mistake and St. Louis gets to start the ninth with a fresh pitcher, instead of starting the inning (as they did) with a guy who had already gone eight innings in the 100-degree July heat.

No, I think replaying the whole game is the only fair outcome.

In the pine tar game, you didn't erase any Yankee achievement.

PS And totally off this topic, but did anybody notice that Jeter has another home run last night? He now has four in 12 games after hitting just six all last season. After two years of slow starts, my favorite player is blazing -- .389 BA with a 1.084 OPS. He's on pace to hit 54 home runs ... to finish with 275 hits and 135 RBIs. Okay, I know that's not going to happen, but it's sill fun while it lasts.

Is it worth noting that after giving a collective heart attack to all Braves fans by starting 0-4, the team has now ripped off 5 wins in a row?

Naaah, not worth noting.

But, it is worth noting that Chipper Jones is ridiculously productive when healthy. If he can play 100 games in moderately healthy condition, this Braves team will probably win 100 games.

As an aside, I like the Nats but the Phils can go suck it! So, Braves-Nats in the playoffs is fine with me!

-Jason "farewell to Chipper -- a great season to go out on is what you deserve" Evans
    Jason, I am quite pleased with the Braves this year. Still a lot of games to go, but the Braves, as you say, in the playoffs is fine with me. I'm not any measure of fine with the Nationals though. The MLB franchises in Washington have let me down twice already, so the Nationals don't get my loyalty this time around, even though they have co-opted the Senators' old nick name, the Nats. My indirect pay back to the Griffiths for heading to the land of lakes, and to that crowd that abandoned the District for Texas. On the other hand, it would be a pleasure for the Braves to trounce the Nationals in the playoffs.

One other thing, I am a bit disappointed that the Braves don't have their own thread here as in the past, but I'll see how it plays out.

An amazing day

Saturday (April 21) was a pretty amazing day in the bigs ...

Phillip Humber, a 29-year-old pitcher for the White Sox throws the 21st perfect game in baeball history. He's been a fairly anonymous pitcher (he was 9-9 with a 3.75 ERA last year), but he's an interesting guy. He was once the No. 3 pick in the entire draft by the Mets, who did nothing for them, then was traded to the Twins as part of the Santana deal. Obviously somebody throught he had potential ... are we going to see it this year or will he be a flash-in-the-pan like Gallaraga (who did throw a perfect game, even if it was taken from him by Jim Joyce)?

Then there ws the game uin Fenway. A day after the Yankees spoil Boston's 100th anniversay celebration on Friday, then give the Red Sox fans a summation of the futility that Fenway symbolized for so long. Down 9-0, the Yankees score 14 runs in the seventh and eighth to win 15-9 -- matching the greatest comeback in team history. Wow! Six RBIs for Tex and Swisher. Three more hits from Derek Jeter, who raised his average to .382 (with a 1.029 OPS). He's hit in 12 straight games.

Then there were the Braves -- winning 3-2 in Arizona. This is the way its supposed to be for Atlanta -- seven strong innings from Tommy Hansen (whio retired the last 13 men he faced). A shutdown eighth from Ventors (who struck out the side) and a shutdown ninth by Kimbrell (who also struck out the side). That's 10 wins in 11 games after starting 0-4. Wow!

Just a small side note-- the infamous A.J. Burnett made his first appearance (after injuring himself in preseason trying to bunt) and pitched seven strong innings for the Pirates in a win. On the same day, the Yankees had to shut down Michael Pineda after he experienced pain in his first rehab start. So at least something isn't going right for my Yankees!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Saturday (April 21) was a pretty amazing day in the bigs ...

Phillip Humber, a 29-year-old pitcher for the White Sox throws the 21st perfect game in baeball history. He's been a fairly anonymous pitcher (he was 9-9 with a 3.75 ERA last year), but he's an interesting guy. He was once the No. 3 pick in the entire draft by the Mets, who did nothing for them, then was traded to the Twins as part of the Santana deal. Obviously somebody throught he had potential ... are we going to see it this year or will he be a flash-in-the-pan like Gallaraga (who did throw a perfect game, even if it was taken from him by Jim Joyce)?

Then there ws the game uin Fenway. A day after the Yankees spoil Boston's 100th anniversay celebration on Friday, then give the Red Sox fans a summation of the futility that Fenway symbolized for so long. Down 9-0, the Yankees score 14 runs in the seventh and eighth to win 15-9 -- matching the greatest comeback in team history. Wow! Six RBIs for Tex and Swisher. Three more hits from Derek Jeter, who raised his average to .382 (with a 1.029 OPS). He's hit in 12 straight games.

Then there were the Braves -- winning 3-2 in Arizona. This is the way its supposed to be for Atlanta -- seven strong innings from Tommy Hansen (whio retired the last 13 men he faced). A shutdown eighth from Ventors (who struck out the side) and a shutdown ninth by Kimbrell (who also struck out the side). That's 10 wins in 11 games after starting 0-4. Wow!

Just a small side note-- the infamous A.J. Burnett made his first appearance (after injuring himself in preseason trying to bunt) and pitched seven strong innings for the Pirates in a win. On the same day, the Yankees had to shut down Michael Pineda after he experienced pain in his first rehab start. So at least something isn't going right for my Yankees!
    And you forgot the Nats! In his 4th start of the season, Strasburg pitched six scoreless to lower his ERA to 1.08. The Nats got timely hitting from Werth, Desmond, and Ramos to win in extras after Brad Lidge gave up 2 in the 9th and blew his save chance. The win ensures another series win for the Nats - they haven't lost one yet - and bumps their record to 12-4 on the season. Today's series finale was rained out and will be made up later. Monday is an off day, and then on Tuesday the Padres come to town for 3.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Actually it is Michael Pineda and his trade to the Yankees upset a lot of Mariners fans...
    Both these guys have youth on their side, but those upset Mariner fans can feel the relief of a dodged bullet.

Michael Pineda has been diagnosed with a right anterior labral tear and will have surgery next Tuesday, May 1.
    Along with some of the struggling starters in the Bronx, Andy Pettitte's not gravy anymore.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Both these guys have youth on their side, but those upset Mariner fans can feel the relief of a dodged bullet.
    Meanwhile, Montero went 3 for 5 with 2 RBIs and a run scored tonight as the Mariners defeated the Tigers 9-1. Seattle's offense produced 15 hits for the second game in a row.
    Bob Green

Dreadful, pathetic Tigers performance. Leyland has decided to start his early season breakdown right on time. He was handed a platter of gold and is stubbornly turning it into something the exact opposite. Dave D, GM, wants Inge off the field but Leyland defies him in order to give up two run errors like he's handing out Halloween candy. Dumbrowski needs to trade Inge for a case of soda, a la Moneyball and "moot" the argument. Yes, yes, Inge was good, WAS, but it's over now, bye, bye.
    Arrrrgh!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Nats update!

The win yesterday at San Diego moves the Nats to 14-4, which is the best start ever for the Nats/Expos franchise. They've won 4 in a row, and the win clinched another series win for the Nats, which now makes 6 straight series wins to start the season. One more vs. the Padres tonight - E-Jax vs. Volquez, before heading up the I-5 for a series with the almost-as-hot Dodgers. Should be a good weekend of baseball!

(Oh, and GO CAPS!!!)
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Nats update!
    ...before heading up the I-5 for a series with the almost-as-hot Dodgers.
    Oh, those Dodgers aren't as hot as they once were after running into the Braves.

If the road is the test of a good team, I am feeling really good about the Braves right about now!

--Jason "NL East is gonna be a dogfight-- best division in baseball?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Braves

Awesome comeback for the Braves Wednesday night -- three runs in the top of the ninth to rally from a 2-1 deficit. Another strong start by Beachy and the usual good work by the pen.

I agree with Jason -- hard not to feel good about the Braves. 12-7 (after an 0-4 start) and holdinmg their own on West Coast road trip. No signs of the sophomore slump from Freeman and Heyward appdears to have bounced back from HIS sophomore slump. Still, the most amazing performance has come from Chipper -- at age 40, he's still the team's most dangerous hitter, leading the regulars in OPS (.913). His ninth inning single drove in the winning run last night.

Good story about the new Braves hitting coach(es):

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...what-they-see/

Atlanta leads the NL in runs scored so far -- and that's with Prado and McCann still a bit under their normal pace.

Good news: Hudson is scheduled to start Sunday. He's kind of like the pitching version of Chipper -- he's fragile with age, but when healthy, he's still Atlanta's ace.

Bad news about Jurrjens slow start and demotiion, but he's taken it will and seem determined to work on his problems and getv them fixed. Three solid starters so far (Minor, beachy and Hansen). Delgardo is showing his youth, but I'm still confident he'll get it. That means we pretty much need either a healthy Hudson or a revived Jurrjens to stay in the race with the Nats and (I'm not counting them out) the Phillies.

What's Going On With Albert Pujols?

What in the world is going on with Pujuls? He's hitting .222, but worse than that, he has hit zero home runs in his 72 at bats in the season's first 18 games. And the team which, with the addition of Pujols and CJ Wilson, was expected to be very strong, is floundering at 6-12, and playing listless baseball. Mr. Moreno cannot be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What in the world is going on with Pujuls? He's hitting .222, but worse than that, he has hit zero home runs in his 72 at bats in the season's first 18 games. And the team which, with the addition of Pujols and CJ Wilson, was expected to be very strong, is floundering at 6-12, and playing listless baseball. Mr. Moreno cannot be happy.
    Albert Who? Never heard of him.

albert and the angels

Make that 6-13 for the Angels after Thursday afternoon's 4-3 loss to the Rays.

Pujols did get a hit today -- a single -- snapping the longest hitless streak of his career (ir was either 21 ot 22 straight ... I'm not sure if his hit came in his last or next-to-last plate appearance).

His OPS is an anemic .596 -- he usually slugs better than that! And of course, 19 straight games for the Angels without a home run.

Obviously a horrendous slump, but I can't help thinking about a couple of years ago when David Ortiz started the season in a similar slump. I was ready to right him off -- at least to assign him to the end of his career and look at him now -- he's hitting .424 with an unreal 1.155 OPS. Then there's Derek Jeter, given up for dead after an awful 2010 (and a bad start in 2011) who is now hitting .420 with a 1.084 OPS. And it's not short term either for Jeter -- since midsummer last year, he's been hitting at the best rate of his career -- I think it's something like .360 with a .900-plus OPS for his last 90 games (maybe somebody can supply the exact numbers).

All just shows how fickle baseball can be. Before this year Albert Pujols was the most consistent offensive player of this century. He's struggling now, but I won't be better any money that it lasts.

Those Dodgers aren't so hot,, they just got to play my PADRES a lot at the start of the season

Now it's the NAT's turn to wear me out.. this is not a fun start to the season..

Emsinger came on 101 the other day and said they have software that can map park dimensions of one park onto another park. Pujols has actually hit four balls in Anaheim that would have been home runs at Busch. He also bade farewell to HR-friendly parks in Chicago, Milwaukee and Cincinnati too.

I have a F BSB mag. Don't know what year these park effects are for, or if they are cumulative.

NL Central HRs: CHC +3%, CIN +26% (!), HOU +9%, MIL +9%, STL -23% (!). That last number surprises me.

AL West: LAA -5%, OAK -17%, SEA -14%, TEX +26%. I wonder if these four balls he hit are in odd spots, or if his tendencies put the ball in weird spots that might be a tater in StL but not LA.

This also ignores that HOU is moving to the AL West, and that OAK probably will get a more hitter-friendly park if they ever manage to move.

ESPN poll the other day, "Has Albert Pujols entered his decline phase?" 61% yes, yes all states but Idaho, over 93K respondents.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

park dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Emsinger came on 101 the other day and said they have software that can map park dimensions of one park onto another park. Pujols has actually hit four balls in Anaheim that would have been home runs at Busch. He also bade farewell to HR-friendly parks in Chicago, Milwaukee and Cincinnati too.

I have a F BSB mag. Don't know what year these park effects are for, or if they are cumulative.

NL Central HRs: CHC +3%, CIN +26% (!), HOU +9%, MIL +9%, STL -23% (!). That last number surprises me.

AL West: LAA -5%, OAK -17%, SEA -14%, TEX +26%. I wonder if these four balls he hit are in odd spots, or if his tendencies put the ball in weird spots that might be a tater in StL but not LA.

This also ignores that HOU is moving to the AL West, and that OAK probably will get a more hitter-friendly park if they ever manage to move.

ESPN poll the other day, "Has Albert Pujols entered his decline phase?" 61% yes, yes all states but Idaho, over 93K respondents.
    You bring up a point that is often overlooked in regard to home run production -- park dimensions. And what people don't realize is that on the whole (obviously there are exceptions), the playing area of big league parks has gotten smaller -- much smaller -- over the years. Even some of the older parks, such as Wrigley and Fenway, are smaller than when they opened (at least the fences are closer). The old Yankee Stadium was remodeled in the mid-1970s and they closed in that astondingly deep center (490) and left centerfield. Remember, until then, the monuments in center were in play.

Bill Jenkinson, a consultant for the Hall of Fame, was doing some research on the longest home runs ever hit when he noticed some amazing accounts of Babe Ruth's early career. He did some serious research, tracking verified news accouts of Ruthian blows that either hit the wall or were caught in places that would be deep in the stands today. He calculated that if Ruth had hit the same balls in 2007 that he hit in 1921, he would have hit 104 home runs (as opposed to the 59 he did hit).

Today, the average length of Major League parks is 330 to left, 375 to LC, 405 to center, 375 to RC and 330 to right. In 1921, it was 450 to left, 485 to RC and LC, and close to over 490 feet to dead center. Ruth played his home games that year in the Polo Grounds, which was actually very short right down the lines, but fell off rapidly to 400 feet in left and right, 440 in LC, 475 to RC and 460 to dead center. The distant reaches of the outfield were so deep that the bullpens were in the field of play in left and right center.

According to Jenkinson's calculations, if Ruth had played in modern parks, the blows he hit would have resulted in 66 HRs in 1919, 82 in 1920, 104 in 1921 ... and 91 in 1927. In all, instead of 714 HRs in his career, Ruth would have hit 1,158 home runs -- and that's just based on long blows that were well documented.

Of course, it's all just speculation, but it's a fascinating mind game.

You bring up a point that is often overlooked in regard to home run production -- park dimensions. And what people don't realize is that on the whole (obviously there are exceptions), the playing area of big league parks has gotten smaller -- much smaller -- over the years. Even some of the older parks, such as Wrigley and Fenway, are smaller than when they opened (at least the fences are closer). The old Yankee Stadium was remodeled in the mid-1970s and they closed in that astondingly deep center (490) and left centerfield. Remember, until then, the monuments in center were in play.

Bill Jenkinson, a consultant for the Hall of Fame, was doing some research on the longest home runs ever hit when he noticed some amazing accounts of Babe Ruth's early career. He did some serious research, tracking verified news accouts of Ruthian blows that either hit the wall or were caught in places that would be deep in the stands today. He calculated that if Ruth had hit the same balls in 2007 that he hit in 1921, he would have hit 104 home runs (as opposed to the 59 he did hit).

Today, the average length of Major League parks is 330 to left, 375 to LC, 405 to center, 375 to RC and 330 to right. In 1921, it was 450 to left, 485 to RC and LC, and close to over 490 feet to dead center. Ruth played his home games that year in the Polo Grounds, which was actually very short right down the lines, but fell off rapidly to 400 feet in left and right, 440 in LC, 475 to RC and 460 to dead center. The distant reaches of the outfield were so deep that the bullpens were in the field of play in left and right center.

According to Jenkinson's calculations, if Ruth had played in modern parks, the blows he hit would have resulted in 66 HRs in 1919, 82 in 1920, 104 in 1921 ... and 91 in 1927. In all, instead of 714 HRs in his career, Ruth would have hit 1,158 home runs -- and that's just based on long blows that were well documented.

... and the Babe did all that without today's lively ball..., and steroids.

That's amazing. I'd never heard that angle on Ruth. How that would have changed history with Aaron. Aaron is my sporting hero, along with Koufax. I've been reading a biography of Aaron, titled somewhat melodramatically, The Last Hero. You go in the sports section of the bookstore these days, everybody is the last everyone.

OTOH, Ruth never had to face Marichal, or Gibson, or Martinez, or Paige...or anyone of their complexion(s).

Stamps of the old parks came out eight or ten years ago. Shibe, Forbes, Sportsman's, etc. The Polo Grounds was a weird looking place.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine