Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
That call became very important when the Dodgers rallied for three in the top of the ninth and won 3-2. The Cardinals protested on the basis of Reardon's misinformation and Ford Frick agreed with them -- he ordered the game replayed from the beginning. The Dodgers won the replay and the pennant.

I think that if baseball admits that the Padres were spoofed by the homeplate ump's mistake, they should order a replay of that game. The rule in every sport is clear -- you stop when the ref/ump orders play stopped -- no "Well, I better keep running because he might not really mean it."
Why replay the whole game? Why nullify everything that happened before the disputed play? Shouldn't you just treat the disputed play like a "dead ball" and replay from that moment? That seems the only logical way to resolve an issue where an ump makes an incorrect communication and changes a play. Pretend the play did not exist and go from there... I don't see why you would pretend like the entire game until that point did not exist.

-Jason "I have a bigger problem with an ump actually telling a player something wrong versus an ump making a hand signal that was misunderstood" Evans