Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I loved the fact that in the Orioles-Bosox game, two position players finished the game on the mound. Baltimore won it 9-6 in 17 innings. Both teams had depleted their bullpens and DH Chris Davis ended up being the winning pitcher over outfielder Darnell McDonald.

Seems that hadn't happened since 1925 when Ty Cobb and George Sisler pitched against each other in the last game of the season.
    Didn't that happen in 2010 with the Cardinals and Mets? I remember the game in late April, on a Saturday when I was planning on going out, but the game took forever, 19 innings. (No, checking Baseball-reference.com, there were two position players who finished for the Cards, Felipe Lopez and Joe Mather, but not one on each side.)

I remember Wade Boggs pitching for the Yankees once. The batters said he had a great knuckleball. He retired as a player at age 41. Could have lasted another 10 years as a pitcher!

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Actually, it's Jordan Zimmermann - with 2 n's. The Nats' Zimmerman is their third baseman, Ryan.
    My bad---again. I must have looking at the What's in a Name? thread. One N is 350; two Ns is 4784. I just don't know how I got those mixed up.

[Darn National League experts...] [Tomayto...Tomahto...grumble...Didn't even know Zimmermann could be spelled with two Ns.]

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Didn't that happen in 2010 with the Cardinals and Mets? I remember the game in late April, on a Saturday when I was planning on going out, but the game took forever, 19 innings. (No, checking Baseball-reference.com, there were two position players who finished for the Cards, Felipe Lopez and Joe Mather, but not one on each side.)

I remember Wade Boggs pitching for the Yankees once. The batters said he had a great knuckleball. He retired as a player at age 41. Could have lasted another 10 years as a pitcher!
    The commentary I heard stated that this was the first time it had happened in the American League since 1925.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Harper then went from first to third on a single by Tim Werth.
    Big Nats fan, never heard of this guy.

By the way, how much more "DC fanhood" can you get than inventing a rivalry with a superior team? This Nats-Phils thing, along with the old Wizards-Cavs thing during the Lebron and Gilbert years (the Cavs beat the Bullets in 3 straight playoff years), and of course our favorite Duke-Maryland stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... Of course, Hamels deserves something -- not so much for hitting Harper, but for being dumb enough to brag about it afterwards.
    In the "there's nothing new in baseball" department ...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3816,4474635

In 1997, Phillies pitcher intentionally beans young star and admits it, suspended 5 games and fined.
    In 2012, Phillies pitcher intentionally beans young star and admits it, suspended 5 games and fined.

Some A's news

Other readers no doubt are aware of my dissatisfaction with the A's ownership, led by Lew Wolff and John Fisher. Three days ago what appears to be a serious group appeared with a demand that the A's stay in Oakland and made an offer to either buy the team or assist the ownership in committing to stay in Oakland.

An Oakland Tribune editorial sums it up fairly well. The group is led by Clorox CEO Don Knauss, so there is some major clout. In addition, the group today published a full page ad in the Contra Costa Times and perhaps other Media News Group Bay Area newspapers demanding that the owners pay attention--that their offer includes the concept of a new stadium in Oakland.

This development is giving me some--not super strong--hope that the movement toward San Jose will end. It seems that the SF Giants are unwilling to part with their territorial rights in San Jose and the South Bay at any price, so that puts the onus on Wolff and and Fisher to reconsider the East Bay once again. The coliseum complex is actually big enough to house a new baseball park and I think that's a good location due to the existing public transportation--there is a BART stop which serves San Francisco, Oakland and the near East Bay/Pleasanton and the South Bay down to Fremont. They are also building an extension from Fremont to San Jose.

So all is not lost.

And curiously the acquisition of Yoenis Cespedes may have activated the fans. (Unfortunately, he hurt his hand this evening taking BP and we are awaiting the results of the x-ray and/or MRI.) The addition of Brandon Inge seems to have been positive as well. Inge hit a walkoff grand slam tonight against the Blue Jays. The bullpen is the fourth best best in the AL and the young starting staff is doing much better than anticipated. The team is now a couple of games over .500 and only 4 games behind the Rangers. Not sure if that on-field success can continue, but I'm optimistic.

So it may well be that Wolff's plan to lose in order to justify a move is being defeated by his own team. His team-based moves are now under a microscope by the new investing group. If Wolff and Fisher can get out and make a profit in a sale, I'm sure the fans will come back and will make a new stadium viable.

Interesting developments, to be sure. If Fisher and Wolff refuse this courtship, I'd be interested in seeing what Selig's reaction would be. He's been behind Wolff (as his former college roommate) even though Wolff's good faith has become suspect. Wonder if that would continue.

This thread would be incomplete without an acknowledgement of Josh Hamilton's performance last night as the Rangers beat the Orioles 10-3. Hamilton went 5-5 with 4 home runs and 8 RBIs. Impressive! His season batting average is .406.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This thread would be incomplete without an acknowledgement of Josh Hamilton's performance last night as the Rangers beat the Orioles 10-3. Hamilton went 5-5 with 4 home runs and 8 RBIs. Impressive! His season batting average is .406.
    Unbelievable! Only the 16th time four homeruns by one player in one game. He had 18 total bases last night! That is absurd.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Elvis Andrus was on base for each home run. Amazingly, that has happened before in a 4 HR game - Gerald Perry was on base for each of Mark Whiten's 4 HR back in 1993.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Fixing something that ain't broke

Runners at the corners. Pitcher fakes a throw to third, then wheels and throws to first, hoping to pick off the guy on first.

Standard play, right? Rarely works, but not particularly offensive.

But MLB wants to kill it off as being too tricky.

Under the new wording, a pitcher could not fake to third unless he first stepped off the rubber. If he stayed on the rubber ... it would be a balk.

Runners at the corners. Pitcher fakes a throw to third, then wheels and throws to first, hoping to pick off the guy on first.

Standard play, right? Rarely works, but not particularly offensive.

But MLB wants to kill it off as being too tricky.

Under the new wording, a pitcher could not fake to third unless he first stepped off the rubber. If he stayed on the rubber ... it would be a balk.
    I saw that yesterday, too. Damn lefties complaining too much.

Seriously though, too tricky? I think the success rate is probably hovering around .060234%. If they eliminate that, how could they not eliminate the leg kick then turn towards 2nd to pick a guy off? I say leave it in, it's been part of the rules forever and it's used quite often, just hardly ever effective. I will tell you it works quite well on teenagers.

We're gettin us some free baseball in Saint Louis tonight.

TLR's jersey retired. Heyward went yard for the Braves in the T12. Cardinals stranded winning run in B10 and B11.

Chipper's last trip to Busch. Smoltzie at Left Bank Books signing tomorrow.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    Damn lefties complaining too much.
    Hey! I resemble that remark! Thought you'd slip that in there, eh?? As if we lefties don't have enough to suffer through, what with can openers and crashing into oncoming traffic and all.

Anyway, Jim3K (my lord, newest hot stuff Brandon Inge has exacted his revenge) your As are making fools of my Tigers...as are the royal, the ranger, even the mariner and just about everybody else they've played this year.
    I feel quite ill, as if a swoon were coming on. Tarnation! I HATE pre-season declarations!

Can Fielder please just W-A-I-T and not swing on every first pitch? How about that middle, non-existent, relief? Makes my stomach flip.

It's supposed to be entertainment! Not a trip to the root canal store.

And to the poor soul who dinged me about my use of the term "big ups" it means large props, compliments, admiration. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh!
    Last edited by weezie; 05-12-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Anyway, Jim3K (my lord, newest hot stuff Brandon Inge has exacted his revenge) your As are making fools of my Tigers...as are the royal, the ranger, even the mariner and just about everybody else they've played this year.
    So far each team has collapsed once against the other. Neither of the first two games was competitive insofar as the score was concerned: Tigers 10-6; A's 11-4. Inge is indeed very hot and getting ink because of his performance against his old team. But Josh Reddick has been the hottest A. Last night Reddick went 4-for-4 with two homers, five RBIs, scored four runs and stole a base.

Today's pitcher, Brandon McCarthy has skipped a turn due to soreness. He may well be vulnerable to the Tigs' bats. He's only 2-3, but has an ERA of 2.96. Fister doesn't have much of a record yet this year--only 10 innings, but he's been good.

I'll be at the noontime game on Sunday. Verlander against near-rookie Jarrod Parker, who is 1-0 in three starts; ERA of 1.9. Assuming he doesn't rattle, he's got a chance against the Cy Young winner.

If TV focuses on the visitors' bullpen mound, my wife and I should be visible just to the left of the ad roller. {Weez--you coulda been there!}

If TV focuses on the visitors' bullpen mound, my wife and I should be visible just to the left of the ad roller. {Weez--you coulda been there!}
    Ah, true, true. But you, my dear Jim3k, would have had to stay home and cut the grass while Mrs. Jim3k and I enjoyed a day at the park.

In any case, I appreciate your cheerfulness. Let's see what your youngster does against my only hope for surviving this season.
    I am a very dramatic and overwrought baseball fan.

Ah, true, true. But you, my dear Jim3k, would have had to stay home and cut the grass while Mrs. Jim3k and I enjoyed a day at the park.

In any case, I appreciate your cheerfulness. Let's see what your youngster does against my only hope for surviving this season.
    I am a very dramatic and overwrought baseball fan.
    I dunno if you saw it, Weezie, but there's not all that much to report. Verlander was Verlander, allowing only 2 hits, one of which was Seth Smith's tying home run in the 5th. Verlander was very impressive, as usual.

In the 6th Detroit got a run back as Parker tired at around the 100 pitch count. With 2 outs Boesche doubled. Parker then walked the bases full. He'd been pretty good up til then. Balfour came in to relieve, and promptly walked in what became the winning run--charged to Parker as earned, since Boesch had gotten on via a hit.

The Tigs' last run came against Pedro Figueroa, who has taken a loss in every game he's been in, except this one (charged to Parker). Cabrera singled in Austin Jackson who had doubled to lead the inning off.

It was a pitcher's duel until the bullpens came on. Detroit's pitched better today than the A's. Yesterday it was the other way around.

So the four game series ended 2-2.

I must say I am not all that impressed with Detroit. Defensively, the corner positions are questionable. Fielder has little fielding mobility and plays too far into the second baseman's territory, forcing the pitcher to cover on ground balls which he gets to, but where the second baseman has an easy play behind him. This results in pitcher coverage of first, which should not be necessary. Plus, Fielder simply can't get to pop fouls down the first base line. He didn't even try on one, though Raburn made a valiant effort and came close. Later, when the A's had to chase an identical foul, their first baseman, Barton, made the play. It looked like their second baseman, Sogard, could have as well.

As for the other corner, Cabrera really does not have the range that a third baseman should have. He did make one diving effort, but failed, on a foul ball near the A's dugout, but I've seen others make that play. Also he couldn't cover foul balls behind third, even though the Coliseum has the largest foul territory in baseball. Peralta didn't give him any help, either. I think Cabrera has a quick first step or two, but questionable foot-speed after that. Of course, his offense probably makes up for his defense; he drove in 2 of the 3 runs. Perhaps Fielder's offense does so as well, even though he's hitting just .266. He went 0-5 today leaving 2 runners in scoring position.

The series outcome leaves both teams where they started. Oakland is 1 game over .500; Detroit exactly .500. Detroit is in a better position, chasing Cleveland than are the A's, chasing Texas.

Ultimately, this was a matchup of two .500 teams--playing up/down to expectations at .500.

Saw it and agree with just about everything you said.
    Parker is a very impressive young pitcher.
    Game three was simply a Tiger shoulder shrug. Tigs were awful.

Your catcher Recker, though, is one handsome guy...wow!

Saw it and agree with just about everything you said.
    Parker is a very impressive young pitcher.
    Game three was simply a Tiger shoulder shrug. Tigs were awful.

Your catcher Recker, though, is one handsome guy...wow!
    It was an enjoyable afternoon. As for Recker being handsome, I'll let you be the judge. He's not the regular catcher. That's Kurt Suzuki who is THE heart throb for the ladies around here--the universal answer to "Who's your favorite A's Player?"

Suzuki was given at least Sunday off, if not more to come, due to a bruised hand. Out due to being dinged up were second baseman Jemile Weeks and Kila Ka'aihue (1B, DH), as well as OFs Yoenis Cespedes and Coco Crisp who are on the DH. Ka'aihue platoons with Barton at first. Inge also had the day off at 3B, replaced by a call-up. So in large part, the A's played that game with secondary players. The local paper is blaming their presence for the lack of offense, at least against the 'pen. I'm not so sure, but it's true that Josh Donaldson at 3B and Collin Cowgill at CF haven't hit major league pitching yet. But then, the A's team batting average is pretty low, so they're not alone.

Just wanted to point out that the Braves just swept a 3-game set in StLou against a Cards team that had one of the best records in baseball... until the Braves came to town.

Earlier this year they won 2 out of 3 against the Dodgers in LA. That is particularly notable because the Dodgers are now 1-2 against the Braves at home and 14-1 against every other team in baseball at home. You read that right-- the Braves have beaten the Dodgers in La twice as much as every other NL team combined.

The Braves have compiled their impressive 22-13 record while being true road warriors. They've played 9 more road games than home games and they've already taken one of those brutal long trips across the country to the West coast.

-Jason "yes, I am proud of how the hometown kids are playing... and it seems we actually have a potent offense this year!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jeter's climb

As a Yankee fan, it's been fun to watching Derek Jeter get off to one of the best starts of his career. Coming after two very slow starts, this has been refreshing.

I thought it was worth mentioning that Jeter has passed a couple of pretty famous names this week on his climb up the all-time hit list. His single last night game him a baseball-best of 55 this year and 3,143 for his career. In the last few days, he's passed Tony Gwyn (3,141) and Robin Yount (3,142) to climb to 17th place on the all-time list. Next up is No. 16 Paul Waner (3,152), then No. 15 George Brett (3,154).

Jeter should wind up 11th-to-13th by the end of this season, depending on his health and sustaining his current level of play. Even if he drops a little, he'll enter the all-time top 10 early next season.

Can he make a run at Pete Rose's record? He's ahead of Pete's pace for both game's player and age. Too early to get excited and with Jeter's dropoff in 2010 and early in 2011, it looked impossible. But since midseason last year, Jeter has been his old self ... suddenly the chase of Rose appears to be be possible again.