Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baseball 2012 -- The In-Season Thread

Rather than have separate threads for the Braves, Yankees and everybody else in the world, I thought we could combine our baseball thoughts into one generic thread (obviously, if there are unique issues that arise, those could go separately).

Personally, it was a pretty nightmarish start for the season as my two favorite teams -- the Yankees (1) and the Braves (2) both opened 0-3.

I'm not too worried about the Yanks (and, indeed, they appear to be back on the right track thanks to the Orioles).

I was, however, growing more concerned about the Braves after their 0-4 start. Interesting that they finally won last night after getting Chipper Jones back in the lineup for the first time. He helped matters with a homer and a single in a 6-4 victory in Houston. I think that emphasizes what a key player he still is for the offensively challenged Braves. That's kind of scary given his age and fragile health.

Still, it's early and like every spring, I'm optimistic about the chances for another Atlanta-New York World Series!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Still, it's early and like every spring, I'm optimistic about the chances for another Atlanta-New York World Series!
    Everyones early spring hopes get exposed to the full light by late July...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Everyones early spring hopes get exposed to the full light by the second week of April
    Edited for Cubs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Edited for Cubs fans.
    They have been rebuilding since 1908!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    My Nationals are off to a hot start - 2 wins in 2 road series so far for a total record of 4-2 (albeit against the Cubs and the Mets). Pitching, save for Gio Gonzalez, is living up to its promise early. We'll see if it sticks, and we'll see if Gio can get a quality start tomorrow in the home opener vs. the Reds.

Now if only we could get Michael Morse and Drew Storen back...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

The Cardinals are off to a great start. 5-2 against division rivals Brewers and Reds, and of course the singular win spoiling Miami's new ballpark. It has been a combination of offense and pitching. The only everyday Cardinal hitting under 300 is Matt Holiday, and they have smashed 12 homeruns as a team. Our 3-5 (Westbrook, Lohse, Lynn) starters are 4-0 with an ERA around 1. Fantastic.

Obviously this pace is unsustainable, but so far so good. I hope we do well against the Cubs this weekend. Pujols has been the primary Cub-killer the past several years, hopefully someone else will step up. Also, Wainwright will take some time to work back in shape after not pitching for almost 2 years due to Tommy John. We reallllly need him as the season progresses to be our ace.

Yes AKBear, the cards are pretty surprising. Must be team pride after losing Bert, who, btw, AL pitchers are probably not too thrilled about facing all season long.

Anyway, the Tigers and their well publicized Murderer's Row line-up are going to have to simmer down and get ready for the long haul. Too many media pre-season annointments may spoil the brew.
    Verlander simply blew yesterday's superb outing, as he admitted post-game. I watched him totally lose his focus and control, actually staring off into space before his wind-up at one point. Maybe he was re-thinking that goofy MLB2K game commercial where he's dressed up like Randy Johnson.

Nice to see Miggy Cabrera with that smile on his face as he approaches the plate, knowing he's going to be thrown to instead of pitched out to 1st. He looks positively gleeful.

Can't wait to get up to the D and see some games!

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    My Nationals are off to a hot start - 2 wins in 2 road series so far for a total record of 4-2 (albeit against the Cubs and the Mets). Pitching, save for Gio Gonzalez, is living up to its promise early. We'll see if it sticks, and we'll see if Gio can get a quality start tomorrow in the home opener vs. the Reds.

Now if only we could get Michael Morse and Drew Storen back...
    Doesn't sound too good on the Storen and Morse front. Headed to the opener today. Hoping Gio can keep this mini streak going and for a Yanks/Nats WS.

I live on the lovely coast of NC.. but many of us that in years past, served in the US Navy or Marines, spent time in San Diego.

PADRE FAN SINCE 1971

We're off to another poor start,, Not sure why, as a decent Triple A team, we have to play Major League teams every year

Some times, we can do it with mirrors.. most seasons we can't. But we're not the Cubs

Being on the east coast, it's nice to follow the Braves and Nationals.. ( I'm not "fond" of the American League ) I like pitchers to bat and run the bases like all the other players on a TEAM.

I read once where the DH had a batting average of somewhere near .290.. where as the National League pitchers batted close to .190
    One more hit out of 10 at bats.. geeeeze,, how impressive.

Padres are 2-4 to start the season.. I'm not expecting it go get better.. but till May, I can hope.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

I read once where the DH had a batting average of somewhere near .290.. where as the National League pitchers batted close to .190
    The actual numbers, from the 2008 season(quickest lookup I had provided data for that season) for pitchers... they batted .137. So more than a little less than .190. But then, if one is used to watching a quasi-minor league team, I suppose those numbers don't seem quite so bad .

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    But then, if one is used to watching a quasi-minor league team, I suppose those numbers don't seem quite so bad .
    Don't be mad just because your team chose to stop playing baseball.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Don't be mad just because your team chose to stop playing baseball.
    I would reply back, but I'm too busy in the locker room drinking beer and eating chicken wings to bother...

And... really... it was just a return to the more usual form the Red Sox in history, finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory(on the plus side, they are off to a better start this year, they actually won 1 of their first 6 games!)

I would reply back, but I'm too busy in the locker room drinking beer and eating chicken wings to bother...

And... really... it was just a return to the more usual form the Red Sox in history, finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory(on the plus side, they are off to a better start this year, they actually won 1 of their first 6 games!)
    Ha, no. I was just referring to the adoption of the DH...

A statistical oddity

Speaking of designated hitters, I was just checking up on Jesus Montero the quasi-catcher my Yankees gave up to get Michael Pinero. Montera is the regular DH for the Seattle Mariners.

Montero is off to a slow start, which in itself is not significant (it's too early to read much into it). But what caught my eye was that after tonight's game, he has a higher batting average than his on base percentage.

If you know baseball stats, you know that's ALMOST impossible. But not quite. Montero is batting .280 with seven hits in 25 official at bats. However, he has no walks and no HBPs which would increase his OBP. But he does have two sacrifice flies -- which don't count against batting average, but do count against OBP. Thus his OBP is 7 fr 27 or .261!

I realize this is based on a small sample size. Still, even after just 27 plate appearances to have a higher BA than OBP is amazing. It will be interesting to see how long he keeps it up -- almost nobody ever winds up with more SFs than BBs. I doubt there is another regular in baseball at this moment with a higher BA than OBP. There are probably a few crubs with a handful of PAs that have managed the feat.

Anyway, just thought it curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Speaking of designated hitters, I was just checking up on Jesus Montero the quasi-catcher my Yankees gave up to get Michael Pinero. Montera is the regular DH for the Seattle Mariners.

Montero is off to a slow start...
    Actually it is Michael Pineda and his trade to the Yankees upset a lot of Mariners fans so Montero will be under pressure to produce at the plate. The M's have their home opener against the A's tonight with King Felix on the mound against Colon. At 4-4, Seattle is off to a nice start thanks to going 3-1 against the A's in Japan and Oakland to start the season. In order to stay competitive they must pound the A's at every opportunity so taking two out of three this weekend is important.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Actually it is Michael Pineda and his trade to the Yankees upset a lot of Mariners fans...
    Both these guys have youth on their side, but those upset Mariner fans can feel the relief of a dodged bullet.

Michael Pineda has been diagnosed with a right anterior labral tear and will have surgery next Tuesday, May 1.
    Along with some of the struggling starters in the Bronx, Andy Pettitte's not gravy anymore.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Both these guys have youth on their side, but those upset Mariner fans can feel the relief of a dodged bullet.
    Meanwhile, Montero went 3 for 5 with 2 RBIs and a run scored tonight as the Mariners defeated the Tigers 9-1. Seattle's offense produced 15 hits for the second game in a row.
    Bob Green

Dreadful, pathetic Tigers performance. Leyland has decided to start his early season breakdown right on time. He was handed a platter of gold and is stubbornly turning it into something the exact opposite. Dave D, GM, wants Inge off the field but Leyland defies him in order to give up two run errors like he's handing out Halloween candy. Dumbrowski needs to trade Inge for a case of soda, a la Moneyball and "moot" the argument. Yes, yes, Inge was good, WAS, but it's over now, bye, bye.
    Arrrrgh!

The actual numbers, from the 2008 season(quickest lookup I had provided data for that season) for pitchers... they batted .137. So more than a little less than .190. But then, if one is used to watching a quasi-minor league team, I suppose those numbers don't seem quite so bad .

I wonder if the number I saw were since 1990 for example, or for a single year.
    Pitchers that year, batted .137 .. what was the DH batting ave. that year,, if it's easy to look up,, just curious.

Amazing , others that have to watch their minor league team playing the professionals

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I wonder if the number I saw were since 1990 for example, or for a single year.
    Pitchers that year, batted .137 .. what was the DH batting ave. that year,, if it's easy to look up,, just curious.
    According to baseball prospectus, pitchers (in both leagues) batted .139/.177/.175/.352 in 2008 (negligibly better if you look just at NL pitchers), and DH's hit .255/.338/.433/.771, so aside from the big gap in batting average, the overall gap in hitting production was pretty massive.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...=MLB&year=2008

I highly doubt pitchers ever collectively hit .190 in a season, at least in the past 30 or 40 years.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?