Maryland loses Mychal Parker

From Maryland press release

"Mychal Parker, a sophomore forward on the University of Maryland men’s basketball team, has been granted his release and will pursue a transfer to play elsewhere, head coach Mark Turgeon announced Monday.

“We appreciate the effort and commitment Mychal made to our success and our program this season,” Turgeon said. “We certainly wish him well as he continues his academic and athletic pursuits.”

Parker, a native of Washington, N.C., played two seasons for the Terrapins. Last season, he averaged 4.3 points and 3.0 rebounds in 18.0 minutes. Parker played in all 32 games for the Terrapins as a sophomore after appearing in 13 as a freshman.

“I have come to the realization that it is in my best interests to continue my education and my career elsewhere,” said Parker. “I’m very grateful for the opportunities and support I’ve gotten from the University of Maryland and from Coach Turgeon. I will always consider myself a Terp for life.” "

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    From Maryland press release

"Mychal Parker, a sophomore forward on the University of Maryland men’s basketball team, has been granted his release and will pursue a transfer to play elsewhere, head coach Mark Turgeon announced Monday.

“We appreciate the effort and commitment Mychal made to our success and our program this season,” Turgeon said. “We certainly wish him well as he continues his academic and athletic pursuits.”

Parker, a native of Washington, N.C., played two seasons for the Terrapins. Last season, he averaged 4.3 points and 3.0 rebounds in 18.0 minutes. Parker played in all 32 games for the Terrapins as a sophomore after appearing in 13 as a freshman.

“I have come to the realization that it is in my best interests to continue my education and my career elsewhere,” said Parker. “I’m very grateful for the opportunities and support I’ve gotten from the University of Maryland and from Coach Turgeon. I will always consider myself a Terp for life. "
    Well, that should leave out Duke as a possible transfer location.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

He is considering ECU, Loyola Md and UAB. ECU is close to home, UAB because that is where his initial recruiter is located and Loyola because its close to where he is now.

I talked to him yesterday and he said that he was pretty much told to transfer since he wouldn't get any PT. He said something similar to the Baltimore Sun here

“Recently, I met with Coach [Mark] Turgeon and he informed me that I should probably start looking at other options as he expected my opportunities on the court at Maryland to decrease due to his incoming recruits,”
    He seemed pretty upset when he was talking about it. I feel for the guy if he actually was forced out as he implied.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    He is considering ECU, Loyola Md and UAB. ECU is close to home, UAB because that is where his initial recruiter is located and Loyola because its close to where he is now.
    ECU could be a good choice. Jeff Lebo (ugh) has the helm there and will be in his third year. They actually did better their first year, but as we've seen with new coaches that's not all that telling...how they do with their own recruits is more the story.
    Plus, it can't be bad being 20 minutes away from mom's cooking.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by zack2014 View Post
    I talked to him yesterday and he said that he was pretty much told to transfer since he wouldn't get any PT. He said something similar to the Baltimore Sun here

He seemed pretty upset when he was talking about it. I feel for the guy if he actually was forced out as he implied.
    Yeah, but he was a Gary Williams recruit, correct? Things change. While that stinks for him, at least Turgeon is being honest with him.

ECU would love to have him! Playing time would increase immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ECU could be a good choice. Jeff Lebo (ugh) has the helm there and will be in his third year. They actually did better their first year, but as we've seen with new coaches that's not all that telling...how they do with their own recruits is more the story.
    Plus, it can't be bad being 20 minutes away from mom's cooking.
    Well ecu had a few more seniors 2 years ago and had a slew of injuries in the front court this past season. I expect ecu to have another winning season this season with 5 seniors. They may even return to the tourney for the 1st time in 20 years.