Baylor Men's and Women's basketball teams in trouble

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ncaa-sanctions

NCAA probably will give them a slap on the wrist but I have heard rumors of Scott Drew being involved in far worse affairs than this.

I'm going to file this one under not shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I'm going to file this one under not shocking.
    Funny how the NCAA only starts noticing things when you start winning (unless you're UNC football)

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Funny how the NCAA only starts noticing things when you start winning (unless you're UNC football)
    I didn't realize that Baylor's football and basketball teams set the record for most wins among the three teams combined in a year. That's pretty impressive.

... but what is pretty obvious is that something like this was going to happen to Scott Drew. Somewhat surprised Mulkey is similarly a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I didn't realize that Baylor's football and basketball teams set the record for most wins among the three teams combined in a year. That's pretty impressive.

... but what is pretty obvious is that something like this was going to happen to Scott Drew. Somewhat surprised Mulkey is similarly a problem.
    Yea programs on the rise that normally weren't are always going to face scrutiny.

Kind of makes you wonder if traditional powers are whistleblowers in some form or fashion...

Yea programs on the rise that normally weren't are always going to face scrutiny.

Kind of makes you wonder if traditional powers are whistleblowers in some form or fashion...
    I can tell you that Texas definitely does this in football. Kentucky, ironically, has potentially played that role in basketball this year (look at the Poythress and 'Bazz recruitments and the timing of minor infractions related to those players vis a vis UK visits).

Texas basically handed the media the Willie Lyles/Oregon story.

I can tell you that Texas definitely does this in football. Kentucky, ironically, has potentially played that role in basketball this year (look at the Poythress and 'Bazz recruitments and the timing of minor infractions related to those players vis a vis UK visits).

Good times.

How much would you be willing to bet some major university helped leak this Urban Meyer nugget?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...gram-will-musc

hatchet

Good times.

How much would you be willing to bet some major university helped leak this Urban Meyer nugget?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...gram-will-musc
    wow what a hatchet job there. almost no facts, one or two, perhaps, disgruntled players willing to speak out...what a piece of dog doo for journalism. I have no idea what Meyer got into at UF, but he certainly hasn't done as bad a job in his profession as the author of that story.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post

NCAA probably will give them a slap on the wrist but I have heard rumors of Scott Drew being involved in far worse affairs than this.
    How many illegal texts/phone calls did it take to get Mike Davis in trouble at IU several years ago?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Go back a bit longer... what about blowing the whistle on SMU?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    How many illegal texts/phone calls did it take to get Mike Davis in trouble at IU several years ago?
    I think it was Kelvin Sampson and there were many, many fewer calls than 500+ -- but they may have involved other violations.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think it was Kelvin Sampson and there were many, many fewer calls than 500+ -- but they may have involved other violations.

sage
    You are correct, oh sage one. Crean took over for interim coach Dan Dakich who took over for "Call/Text Me" Kelvin who took over for Mike Davis. That's where/when/why I was confused. Damn memory problems.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You are correct, oh sage one. Crean took over for interim coach Dan Dakich who took over for "Call/Text Me" Kelvin who took over for Mike Davis. That's where/when/why I was confused. Damn memory problems.
    Sampson had been nailed for the same offense while at Oklahoma. He was told as clearly as possible that he had darn well better not get caught doing the same thing at IU. That seemed to have dissuaded him not one whit.

A textbook definition of a serial cheater.

UnfaIr Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post

The reason that the NCAA bans this sort of illegal contact is that it provides the team(s) doing it an unfair advantage(s). In the case of Baylor, their programs did very well this year, but the coaches must know that they are cheating when they make 1200 illegal contacts. Couple this with the kind of courses that were announced for all the women's championship team (all 5 were Athletics and Human Performance) and you see a school more into winning championships than sticking with the spirit of college athletics. The NCAA should deliver significant punishments for these violations.