Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Duke expects to get a visit from Rodney. Sometime soon.
    Where does Andre Dawkins fit into the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Not shocking, certainly. But it seems like the relevant number would be the eight returning and incoming players Duke is set to have in 2013-2014 at this time. There's still plenty of room for Hood even with Jefferson. (And Parker, for that matter.)
    Well, I'd disagree. The relevant number is the number of players who would be at Hood's position. That could very well include Murphy and Dawkins (if Dawkins redshirts) and potentially Parker as well. It doesn't matter if we have 8 or 12 players. If there are 1-2 players already at his position and the potential for more, there's only so much PT to go around. So while we could certainly fit him on the roster, we'd also very conceivably have a situation like this year (in terms of somebody getting his minutes squeezed).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I would still LOVE to get Hood; he's a SF/SG - not a SF/PF - who really does play the game like a guard, and we're looking to land at least two wings guys like that in 2013. If one of them ends up effectively being him, it would basically be like getting a top-10 recruit, in terms of how ready-to-play he'd be.
    exactly - unless a recruit is top 3 or so Ill take a Hood transfer anyday - a guy who has already proven as a FR to get 10pt 5reb a game in SEC ! Could be a future Junior with a 15 pt / 8 reb average. Hood is a proven (and proven well) commodity. I would love to get him with Murphy Jefferson Sheed and Jones - that would be a v strong 2 - 4 position lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Where does Andre Dawkins fit into the equation?
    Wherever he feels comfortable. No rush on Andre making a decision.

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Wherever he feels comfortable. No rush on Andre making a decision.
    Thanks for your VALUED input. I only hope that their is a very strong bond between Andre and Duke.

I think the question about Andre was intended with respect to Hood. In other words, if Andre does in fact redshirt, would Hood be less likely to come since he would have to compete with Andre for minutes in 2013-2014? I don't think any of us have the answer to that question.

For what its worth article below indicates its down to Duke and Ohio State for Hood.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/b...-for-hood.html

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    For what its worth article below indicates its down to Duke and Ohio State for Hood.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/b...-for-hood.html
    Just had to laugh at the following opinion from the article: "Various reports through this process have said Hood was a Duke fan growing up but did not get an offer from the Blue Devils out of high school. Weigh that against what Ohio State has to sell, which is coach Thad Matta's NBA-style offense, which gives players the space to show their skills".

Didn't know Coach K and Duke were running the Wishbone Offense over in Durham.

My guess, though, is if Duke throws "the full-court press and all the fixin's" at Hood during his visit, Rodney will be a Blue Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Just had to laugh at the following opinion from the article: "Various reports through this process have said Hood was a Duke fan growing up but did not get an offer from the Blue Devils out of high school. Weigh that against what Ohio State has to sell, which is coach Thad Matta's NBA-style offense, which gives players the space to show their skills".

My guess, though, is if Duke throws "the full-court press and all the fixin's" at Hood during his visit, Rodney will be a Blue Devil.
    I apologize if another poster already answered this question: Could the acquisition of Hood negatively impact Duke's recruitment of Jabari Parker? I know there was a question about Hood could affect Andre; but I think it would be a bigger impact on Parker. With Amile committing to Duke and Alex Murphy already on board, we could potentiall have 6'8 wings Jefferson, Murphy, Hood and Parker (if he chose Duke) playing in the 2013-14 season. It would be a great problem to have in terms of figuring out how to play these guys (and the team would have tremendous flexibility in terms of rotations); but I wonder if this could be seen as a negative (or at least used by other schools as negative) to Parker.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I apologize if another poster already answered this question: Could the acquisition of Hood negatively impact Duke's recruitment of Jabari Parker? I know there was a question about Hood could affect Andre; but I think it would be a bigger impact on Parker. With Amile committing to Duke and Alex Murphy already on board, we could potentiall have 6'8 wings Jefferson, Murphy, Hood and Parker (if he chose Duke) playing in the 2013-14 season. It would be a great problem to have in terms of figuring out how to play these guys (and the team would have tremendous flexibility in terms of rotations); but I wonder if this could be seen as a negative (or at least used by other schools as negative) to Parker.

What do you think?
    I brought it up in some thread (perhaps this one?), but it's an interesting question. Especially now that we also have Jefferson. I don't think Hood (or Jefferson) would affect Parker's decision, as wherever Parker goes he is going to start and play major minutes. But it could affect Hood's situation (if he's "playing" behind Parker, Sulaimon, and Murphy). I doubt Hood would make a decision based on the possibility of Parker coming to Duke, but it could result in an unhappy camper.

So in short, I don't think it would affect Parker's decision at all. I do think it could result in Hood deciding to go elsewhere OR somebody looking to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post

It's interesting to see how much confidence the Amile Jefferson signing has given to many DBR posters. We now expect to get players like Hood over schools like Ohio State when just a few weeks ago many would have been wary of our chances. This recruiting game is such a see saw. It would be nice to think that Hood's childhood fondness for Duke would be a significant factor, but I have lost count of how many former recruits expressed similar sentiments and still chose not to come to Durham for college. That being said, I think Rodney Hood and Duke would be a great match.

Hood seems to be in the same size range as Alex Murphy and Amile Jefferson.

Similarities or differences in their games?
    Competing for the same slice of minutes?

Interesting how the 2011-12 team didn't feature many players in the 6'5" to 6'9" size range and now we may have multiple players with Murphy coming off redshirt, the addition of Jefferson, possible addition of Hood, and offers out to the 2013 high school class.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Interesting how the 2011-12 team didn't feature many players in the 6'5" to 6'9" size range and now we may have multiple players with Murphy coming off redshirt, the addition of Jefferson, possible addition of Hood, and offers out to the 2013 high school class.
    Yeah, it seems pretty clear that Coach K is not going to go into 2013 and beyond with a team loaded with only "big and slow" and "small" guys. He seems to have gotten the memo on interchangeable parts and the value of having tall, versatile wing players.

I very much like the idea of having a bunch of 6'5"-6'8" guys that can rotate around at the 2, 3, and 4 spots somewhat interchangeably. Pair them with a center and a point guard, and you have a very good mix that is versatile enough to not have tons of matchup nightmares to deal with.

The consensus is that Jabari Parker is a bit like the 800-pound gorilla. Sleeps where he wants to.

My understanding is that Hood projects as more of a 3/2 at Duke, while Murphy and Jefferson are more 3/4s. In other words, all three could see the court at the same time. Of course, Duke has Sulaimon and in-coming Matt Jones as 2/3s.

So, there could be a wealth of options or a bench full of unhappy players. Depends on where one sits on the glass half-full/glass half-empty spectrum.

Duke likes Hood very much but they will have to sketch for him plausible sceanarios of how he sees the floor.

I am a bit amused by the idea that Duke fans shouldn't expect Duke to be able to recruit against the likes of Ohio State. Cause, gosh darnit that Krzyzewski guy should know his place and leave the studs to the heavyweights.

That's what happens, I suppose, when you get your first top-25 recruit. The fan base just goes all ga-ga. Silly fans.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I think, but am not 100% certain:

1. Hood and Parker have better handles, right now, than Murphy and Jefferson.
    2. Hood and Parker, despite their length, are wings, not 3/4s; whereas Murphy and Jefferson are, respectively, a 3/4 and a 4-who-by-necessity-probably-plays-some-3-in-2012-'13.
    3. Hood, in particular, is a wing/3/2. So Hood might be competing, in 2013-'14, with Andre, Rasheed, Jabari, Alex, and Matt for wing-time. That's a lot of competition [!!], but Rasheed might also play some PG, and Alex might well play some 4. Still, that would be a very, very impressive set of wings.
    4. Were Duke to get many of its most coveted recruits in the classes of 2013 and 2014, K would have perhaps 12-13 guys, most of whom would be perfectly capable of starting, several of whom would be likely all-ACC, a couple of whom would be likely all-American, all of whom would be capable of big minutes.
    5. Thus, as jimsumner has just posted....

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    So, there could be a wealth of options or a bench full of unhappy players.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I think, but am not 100% certain:

1. Hood and Parker have better handles, right now, than Murphy and Jefferson.
    2. Hood and Parker, despite their length, are wings, not 3/4s; whereas Murphy and Jefferson are, respectively, a 3/4 and a 4-who-by-necessity-probably-plays-some-3-in-2012-'13.
    3. Hood, in particular, is a wing/3/2. So Hood might be competing, in 2013-'14, with Andre, Rasheed, Jabari, Alex, and Matt for wing-time. That's a lot of competition [!!], but Rasheed might also play some PG, and Alex might well play some 4. Still, that would be a very, very impressive set of wings.
    4. Were Duke to get many of its most coveted recruits in the classes of 2013 and 2014, K would have perhaps 12-13 guys, most of whom would be perfectly capable of starting, several of whom would be likely all-ACC, a couple of whom would be likely all-American, all of whom would be capable of big minutes.
    5. Thus, as jimsumner has just posted....
    Thanks for the responses on my question.

After seeing a year where we had troubles against teams that had big guards and talented wing players, I prefer the possible wealth of choices to a dearth of choices.

So, there could be a wealth of options or a bench full of unhappy players. Depends on where one sits on the glass half-full/glass half-empty spectrum.
    This pretty much sums it up. If we get Hood and Parker, we'd have Sulaimon, Jones, Hood, Parker, Murphy, and Jefferson competing for ~120 minutes. And that doesn't consider the possibility that we add another wing to the 2013 class or that Dawkins redshirts this year. If that occurs, I think the answer to your "either/or" scenario will likely be "both."

I am a bit amused by the idea that Duke fans shouldn't expect Duke to be able to recruit against the likes of Ohio State. Cause, gosh darnit that Krzyzewski guy should know his place and leave the studs to the heavyweights.

That's what happens, I suppose, when you get your first top-25 recruit. The fan base just goes all ga-ga. Silly fans.
    Totally agree with you on the first paragraph. Coach K has a pretty good history of getting guys he wants. But I'm confused about the second question. Who got their first top-25 recruit? Certainly not Duke. Heck, Jefferson isn't even the first top-25 recruit we've gotten from the 2012 class. Certainly not Ohio State, either, with Oden, Cook, Conley, Koufos, Mullens, Buford, Sullinger, and Thomas in the past 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This pretty much sums it up. If we get Hood and Parker, we'd have Sulaimon, Jones, Hood, Parker, Murphy, and Jefferson competing for ~120 minutes. And that doesn't consider the possibility that we add another wing to the 2013 class or that Dawkins redshirts this year. If that occurs, I think the answer to your "either/or" scenario will likely be "both."

Totally agree with you on the first paragraph. Coach K has a pretty good history of getting guys he wants. But I'm confused about the second question. Who got their first top-25 recruit? Certainly not Duke. Heck, Jefferson isn't even the first top-25 recruit we've gotten from the 2012 class. Certainly not Ohio State, either, with Oden, Cook, Conley, Koufos, Mullens, Buford, Sullinger, and Thomas in the past 6 years.
    I was aiming for gentle sarcasm at the suggestion that Duke fans were over-confident re: Hood as a result of signing Jefferson, as if signing guys like Jefferson was unusual.

I was aiming for gentle sarcasm at the suggestion that Duke fans were over-confident re: Hood as a result of signing Jefferson, as if signing guys like Jefferson was unusual.
    Ah, went right over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Rasheed projects as more of a combo guard (2/1) than a wing (2/3), at least longer term. His length and athleticism will enable him to play some 3, especially on this year's team, but I don't think that is the expectation over the course of his career, particularly if our 2013 recruiting goes as well as hoped.