Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I meant to ask this yesterday...why do you consider Hood a "second-tier SF"? He was a 5 star recruit rated 5th for his position, but 16th nationally. To put that in comparison with today, Sulaimon is a 4 star rated 5th for his position and 32 nationally. (Both stats according to Rivals.) I wouldn't consider Sulaimon "second tier" either, and Hood was up above him by a good margin.(I realize the postitions are not the same but the ratings still apply.)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...O40Mholo7SO5B4
    Hood was #27 nationally according to the RSCI (which is a more comprehensive look than just Rivals). Murphy (#41, but only because he was not rated by one site due to his late reclassification) and Gbinije (#28) were similarly rated. Parker and Wiggins are both top of the class overall. My point was that we have similar players (in the second tier) in Gbinije and Murphy in house who have a year of Duke experience over Hood and we're recruiting even better players at the same position in the next two classes. It doesn't make sense to add Hood.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hood was #27 nationally according to the RSCI (which is a more comprehensive look than just Rivals). Murphy (#41, but only because he was not rated by one site due to his late reclassification) and Gbinije (#28) were similarly rated. Parker and Wiggins are both top of the class overall. My point was that we have similar players (in the second tier) in Gbinije and Murphy in house who have a year of Duke experience over Hood and we're recruiting even better players at the same position in the next two classes. It doesn't make sense to add Hood.
    That all makes sense. Add to it that he would eat up a scholarship sitting on the bench (which I now know from another thread). I guess if we shoot blanks this year with our 3 remaining scholarships it still couldn't hurt. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to listen to our staff discuss recruiting and contingency plans for target C if targets A and/or B go elsewhere.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

You can call Hood a second tier player all you want, but the kid is already a proven commodity, one who put up better numbers than anyone we put at the SF position this past year.

I'm also wondering why you're lumping Mike and Alex together, I can see Mike being called a 3, but Alex's future on the team looks more like a 4 to me, especially once Ryan leaves, which will leave us with Josh and Alex at the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'm also wondering why you're lumping Mike and Alex together, I can see Mike being called a 3, but Alex's future on the team looks more like a 4 to me, especially once Ryan leaves, which will leave us with Josh and Alex at the 4.
    Lord, I hope not, because he came into the program a very pure wing. I would hate to see him bulk up and play out-of-position just because we can't recruit well enough around him.

Hopefully, we'll have at least one of TParker-Jefferson-Randle-JParker - and I don't think two would be an unrealistic hope at all - who can play the post or stretch 4 in 2013-14, along with Marshall and Hairston. That would let Murphy stay on the wing where he belongs, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Lord, I hope not, because he came into the program a very pure wing. I would hate to see him bulk up and play out-of-position just because we can't recruit well enough around him.

Hopefully, we'll have at least one of TParker-Jefferson-Randle-JParker - and I don't think two would be an unrealistic hope at all - who can play the post or stretch 4 in 2013-14, along with Marshall and Hairston. That would let Murphy stay on the wing where he belongs, IMO.
    ESPN has Alex listed at 6' 8" and 215 lbs. There was talk about him having grown since coming to Duke. For what it's worth Lance Thomas is currently being listed at 6'8" and 225 lbs.

Lance did a pretty good job for us as our 4 during his senior year. If Alex has indeed grown an inch and put on some muscle I'm not sure why he'd be viewed as a SF and not a college PF. Again, Coach K doesn't pigeon hole players by position so we shall have to wait and see exactly who plays where.

A very nice problem to have.

pretty sure

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I don't remember but did Duke recruit Roshown, Dahntay or Seth out of high school?
    Roshown pretty sure yes. Dahntay i think we did but not Seth. I am sure someone will correct as need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    ESPN has Alex listed at 6' 8" and 215 lbs. There was talk about him having grown since coming to Duke. For what it's worth Lance Thomas is currently being listed at 6'8" and 225 lbs.

Lance did a pretty good job for us as our 4 during his senior year. If Alex has indeed grown an inch and put on some muscle I'm not sure why he'd be viewed as a SF and not a college PF. Again, Coach K doesn't pigeon hole players by position so we shall have to wait and see exactly who plays where.

A very nice problem to have.
    Alex has a solid outside shot and a nice handle. He will be able to play defense on 4s, but I suspect he'll play the 3 on offense. Especially with Mason coming back. He's essentially the same size as Kyle Singler played at, if we're making comparisons to former Duke National Champions.

Looks Can Be Deceiving

The argument could be made that going into this year, it appeared we were plenty deep at the wing/stretch 4 position with Kelly, Gbinije, Murphy, and Hairston all filling those positions. However, Murphy redshirted, Gbinije and Hairston never developed and when Kelly was injured, Hairston couldn't fill his spot effectively so the 3/4 became a position of weakness.

We haven't seen Murphy play 1 minute yet, Gbinije show ANY contribution yet, and none of the 2012/13 recruits in question have actually commited yet so just because it APPEARS we are loaded at the 3/4 for the next 3 years doesn't mean we, in-fact, are set.

I would love to have as many talented players as possible, regardless of position depth. By 2014, having a 3rd year sophomore that produced 10/5 his freshman year in the SEC sure would be a nice luxury to have IMO, and I trust K would find a way to use him quite effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Alex has a solid outside shot and a nice handle. He will be able to play defense on 4s, but I suspect he'll play the 3 on offense. Especially with Mason coming back. He's essentially the same size as Kyle Singler played at, if we're making comparisons to former Duke National Champions.
    Yes, but I would argue that he moves and plays much more like former national champion wing Mike Dunleavy, who was 6'9 210.

IMO, Alex's best attribute is his slashing ability. I'd just hate to see him lose that by bulking up on focus on being physical inside.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    The argument could be made that going into this year, it appeared we were plenty deep at the wing/stretch 4 position with Kelly, Gbinije, Murphy, and Hairston all filling those positions. However, Murphy redshirted, Gbinije and Hairston never developed and when Kelly was injured, Hairston couldn't fill his spot effectively so the 3/4 became a position of weakness.

We haven't seen Murphy play 1 minute yet, Gbinije show ANY contribution yet, and none of the 2012/13 recruits in question have actually commited yet so just because it APPEARS we are loaded at the 3/4 for the next 3 years doesn't mean we, in-fact, are set.

I would love to have as many talented players as possible, regardless of position depth. By 2014, having a 3rd year sophomore that produced 10/5 his freshman year in the SEC sure would be a nice luxury to have IMO, and I trust K would find a way to use him quite effectively.
    I absolutely agree! We need as many stud 6'5" to 6'8" wings as we can get. While watching the video of the '92 squad a few weeks ago, it became apparent to me that Duke used to pride itself on how versatile it was - both on offense and defense. That '92 team was loaded with 6'5"-6'8" studs - Grant Hill, Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, Antonio Lang. Their size (length) and quickness helped out the bigs rebounding, and allowed us to get turnovers, and fill the wings on the break rather impressively. I think having Murphy, Gbinije and picking up Hood, along with a 2013 wing would allow Duke to be much more versatile, hopefully like the early 90's teams

In 2013 we could break out our "long wing" lineup of Rasheed, Hood, Gbinije, Murphy, and Hairston. Everyone between 6'4 and 6'8. Could make for a killer matchup zone defensively (not that that would ever happen ).

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    In 2013 we could break out our "long wing" lineup of Rasheed, Hood, Gbinije, Murphy, and Hairston. Everyone between 6'4 and 6'8. Could make for a killer matchup zone defensively (not that that would ever happen ).
    Or, we could actually have wings that can match-up in a man-to-man and not get devastated on the boards by opposing wings...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post

wouldnt hood be availabl nxt year in 2012-13 as a sophomore or is he going to have to sit a year? the above bold implies he will not be available until 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    wouldnt hood be availabl nxt year in 2012-13 as a sophomore or is he going to have to sit a year? the above bold implies he will not be available until 2014?
    No. Hood would have to redshirt during the 2012-2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Or, we could actually have wings that can match-up in a man-to-man and not get devastated on the boards by opposing wings...
    Love your choice of words here, even though I don't think you meant it ironically. The two times we played the "premiere wing" in the ACC (Prince Harry) he had a combined total of seven rebounds. I am certainly in agreement that having a quality wing is important, but I think we probably get "devastated on the boards" more on here and IC than we do on the actual court.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Love your choice of words here, even though I don't think you meant it ironically. The two times we played the "premiere wing" in the ACC (Prince Harry) he had a combined total of seven rebounds. I am certainly in agreement that having a quality wing is important, but I think we probably get "devastated on the boards" more on here and IC than we do on the actual court.
    Good one Big Pappa and yes that was unintended I was referring to the UNC guards who out rebounded us in the second game by a huge margin. We couldn't keep them off the boards and it killed us.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Good one Big Pappa and yes that was unintended I was referring to the UNC guards who out rebounded us in the second game by a huge margin. We couldn't keep them off the boards and it killed us.
    Fair point about our guards, but getting a premier wing isn't going to make our guards any taller or better at rebounding. Our PF position was most glaringly out-rebounded in both Carolina games. In Chapel Hill, Ryan and Josh combined for 4 rebounds while Henson and McAdoo combined for 20. In Cameron, Ryan and Josh combined for 1 rebound while Henson and McAdoo had 14; for a combined total of -29 on the boards.

I am a HUGE proponent of Ryan and think he will be the focal point of the offense next year, but he must get better on the glass, especially on the defensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Fair point about our guards, but getting a premier wing isn't going to make our guards any taller or better at rebounding. Our PF position was most glaringly out-rebounded in both Carolina games. In Chapel Hill, Ryan and Josh combined for 4 rebounds while Henson and McAdoo combined for 20. In Cameron, Ryan and Josh combined for 1 rebound while Henson and McAdoo had 14; for a combined total of -29 on the boards.

I am a HUGE proponent of Ryan and think he will be the focal point of the offense next year, but he must get better on the glass, especially on the defensive end.
    That's an excellent analysis of Ryan. His feel for the game, jump shooting ability, and handle all make him incredibly dangerous. If he can improve on his rebounding presence, it would be a HUGE boost to the rest of the team.

I meant to ask this yesterday...why do you consider Hood a "second-tier SF"? He was a 5 star recruit rated 5th for his position, but 16th nationally. To put that in comparison with today, Sulaimon is a 4 star rated 5th for his position and 32 nationally. (Both stats according to Rivals.) I wouldn't consider Sulaimon "second tier" either, and Hood was up above him by a good margin.(I realize the postitions are not the same but the ratings still apply.)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...O40Mholo7SO5B4
    Not that it matters, but Rivals has gotten its mind right and bumpled Sulaimon to five stars and 18th nationally.

That all makes sense. Add to it that he would eat up a scholarship sitting on the bench (which I now know from another thread). I guess if we shoot blanks this year with our 3 remaining scholarships it still couldn't hurt. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to listen to our staff discuss recruiting and contingency plans for target C if targets A and/or B go elsewhere.
    I wouldn't mind someone eating up a scholarship at all. I suspect the team would be better off, long term, with a red-shirt/transfer-sit-out than anybody besides Sha-buzz. Imagine the following Red-White game

Marshall - Ryan - Sulaimon - Dre - Quinn
    Mason - Murphy - {g} - Curry - Thornton

seems like a good game and shows (to my eye) just how deep next year's team will be without any additions. A red-shirt gain value and retains eligibility.