Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I don't remember but did Duke recruit Roshown, Dahntay or Seth out of high school?
    Nope. Not a one of them. However, it was widely known that Dahntay and JWill were close and that's one of the reasons we got DJ.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/dahntay-jones

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I don't remember but did Duke recruit Roshown, Dahntay or Seth out of high school?
    I will have to research that one. It is a definite No on Seth. With Dahntay I think it may be a yes, but not sure. With Roshown I absolutely do not remember. Will look it up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link. Best part of that link was seeing Mason's name in the 2013 draft! Another good sign, since he had been listed in the 2012 Mock Draft up until this week. The one odd thing was seeing Ryan Harrow at 15th. Really? The same Ryan Harrow we saw at NC State? Cal must have some magic potion that can transform these kids into bona fide NBA stars!

The Hood kid looks promising. The site had him listed as 6'8 205lbs, so great size for a true wing. I hope he reciprocates the interest Duke is showing in him. If Duke really was his favorite team growing up, you would think Hood will at least explore Duke as an option.
    Oh I agree with you re: Harrow and that mock draft in general. Seems nbadraft.net are just making complete guesses there. Just thought it was interesting to see Hood listed as a #6 overall prospect, even though the accuracy of it is probably questionable.

Airowe tweeted this sentiment, and I have to agree, that Duke is going after transfers at an unusual high pace. I can't recall a time where we have shown interest in so many transfers. Not sure if this a strategic change done purposely, or just an anomaly, but at any rate it is odd.
    I think accepting transfers will soon become par for the course for the best programs in college basketball. Duke is just ahead of the curve here, once again, imo.

There is no argument that 6'5ish/6'6-6'8 wings with length that can defend are great assets to have on a college team, so I am all for having multiple guys that size on the roster.

K constantly evolving and exploring new ways to get it done! The man never stops thinking.
    Totally agree. One way to combat not being able to get a true back-to-basket stud center in recruiting is to go big on the wings and at guards.

Coach K often talks about players just being bball players and not being set into positions. But does any of Duke's recent rosters really strike you as being all that versatile?

I think Coach K would like to get back to the early 90s style of play with lots of versatile guys on the court.

Here's our 2014 starting lineup, if all goes well: Sheed, Hood, Jabari, Randle/Murphy, Mp3/Randle. Just lots of versatility there, that can compete on the boards because the 1-3 positions are so big, and can switch every screen and force turnovers on defense, and can invert the offense by posting up Sheed and Hood and Jabari, and can space the court to drive and post up.

Ahhh, rosterwanking.

My memory tells me we recruited both Roshown and Dahntay. Of course, my memory tells me lots of things. I believe Roshown headed off to St. John's because Joey Beard headed to Duke. Beard transferred after his freshman year and Roshown became interested in Duke again ultimately leaving St. John's after two seasons.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My memory tells me we recruited both Roshown and Dahntay. Of course, my memory tells me lots of things. I believe Roshown headed off to St. John's because Joey Beard headed to Duke. Beard transferred after his freshman year and Roshown became interested in Duke again ultimately leaving St. John's after two seasons.
    If Duke recruited either McLeod or Jones, neither got very far. I'm reasonably certain neither got an offer or made an official visit.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If Duke recruited either McLeod or Jones, neither got very far. I'm reasonably certain neither got an offer or made an official visit.
    Thanks Jim. I see my memory is as good as usual.
    Bob Green

Airowe tweeted this sentiment, and I have to agree, that Duke is going after transfers at an unusual high pace. I can't recall a time where we have shown interest in so many transfers. Not sure if this a strategic change done purposely, or just an anomaly, but at any rate it is odd. The Ziegler kid made sense, due to Duke recruiting him in high school. The Uconn big was a head scratcher to me, beyond being a stopgap if Mason left, but now the Hood kid too? Per CB&B''s research, Duke did not recruit him out of high school. Not saying there is anything at all wrong with the approach, and I am not complaining. Just find it interesting.

There is no argument that 6'5ish/6'6-6'8 wings with length that can defend are great assets to have on a college team, so I am all for having multiple guys that size on the roster.

K constantly evolving and exploring new ways to get it done! The man never stops thinking.
    Makes it even more intriguing/interesting with AM and MG on the roster with a year "in the system" already.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

RE: Mock Draft

I found it interesting that the mock draft linked above has Andre going in the second round to the Portland Trailblazers. I certainly think Andre has enough natural ability to play in the NBA, but if I'm an NBA gm im not drafting Andre unless he significantly improves his handle. I wonder if NBA scouts/gm see past that or if this draft is just taking a blind guess. Only time will tell...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think that Murphy and Gbinije along with the hopes of getting Jabari Parker and/or Wiggins makes adding Hood kind of unnecessary. He won't fill a need (we're going to be looking for big men, not second-tier SF).
    I meant to ask this yesterday...why do you consider Hood a "second-tier SF"? He was a 5 star recruit rated 5th for his position, but 16th nationally. To put that in comparison with today, Sulaimon is a 4 star rated 5th for his position and 32 nationally. (Both stats according to Rivals.) I wouldn't consider Sulaimon "second tier" either, and Hood was up above him by a good margin.(I realize the postitions are not the same but the ratings still apply.)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...O40Mholo7SO5B4
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I meant to ask this yesterday...why do you consider Hood a "second-tier SF"? He was a 5 star recruit rated 5th for his position, but 16th nationally. To put that in comparison with today, Sulaimon is a 4 star rated 5th for his position and 32 nationally. (Both stats according to Rivals.) I wouldn't consider Sulaimon "second tier" either, and Hood was up above him by a good margin.(I realize the postitions are not the same but the ratings still apply.)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...O40Mholo7SO5B4
    To be fair, Rivals is not generally considered to have a great basketball ratings service. Hood was the RSCI #27 recruit in 2011 (Gbinije #28), while Sulaimon is the RSCI #17 recruit in 2012 (and is only that low because Rivals is the only service that has him outside of the top 20).

Of course, Hood did have a good freshman year. But I also think it's confusing that we're going after wings right now.

Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks Jim. I see my memory is as good as usual.
    My memory is that Duke looked at both of them, and liked them, but made offers to others. When they decided to transfer, Duke was somewhat familiar with them. Of course, my memory is no better than Bob's and certainly not as good as Jim's.

The new look at everyone who transfers approach seems like a huge change. Doesn't mean it's bad, but it's a big change.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The new look at everyone who transfers approach seems like a huge change. Doesn't mean it's bad, but it's a big change.
    To be honest, I suspect that this might reflect a change on the DBR boards more than any change with our coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think that Murphy and Gbinije along with the hopes of getting Jabari Parker and/or Wiggins makes adding Hood kind of unnecessary. He won't fill a need (we're going to be looking for big men, not second-tier SF).
    I've seen this sentiment a few times on this board. Leaving Murphy and G out (since they are already here), I am curious to know how posters feel about Amile Jefferson vs. Rodney Hood. They are certainly comparable in size and somewhat comparable in abilities. If we could have one of them for 3-4 years which one would you want?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    My memory is that Duke looked at both of them, and liked them, but made offers to others. When they decided to transfer, Duke was somewhat familiar with them. Of course, my memory is no better than Bob's and certainly not as good as Jim's.

Dahntay Jones was in the high school class of 1998. Duke went after Corey Maggette, Dane Fife and Danny Miller from that class. The friendship with Jason Williams would have been irrelevant at that time.

McLeod was in the high school class of 1993. Duke was all in on Joey Beard from that class but also brought in Carmen Wallace, which suggests there was room for McLeod, had their been mutual interest.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Dahntay Jones was in the high school class of 1998. Duke went after Corey Maggette, Dane Fife and Danny Miller from that class. The friendship with Jason Williams would have been irrelevant at that time.

McLeod was in the high school class of 1993. Duke was all in on Joey Beard from that class but also brought in Carmen Wallace, which suggests there was room for McLeod, had their been mutual interest.
    Agree with Jim. Having beeen a big recruiting follower since the 80's, I really can't say that I recall either name coming up as Duke prospects before they decided to transfer out of their initial schools.

...Duke is going after transfers at an unusual high pace. I can't recall a time where we have shown interest in so many transfers. Not sure if this a strategic change done purposely, or just an anomaly, but at any rate it is odd.
    I wonder if part of it is that we have four seniors this year, so we're losing a lot of bodies. Bringing in a transfer who would be eligible in 2013 means we add someone with much more experience than a new freshman would. It's kind of like the college equivalent of the one-and-done rule - we get a year or two to evaluate these guys before deciding if we should "recruit" them to join our program. On top of that, we get an "extra" year of them practicing with the team before they become eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I wonder if part of it is that we have four seniors this year, so we're losing a lot of bodies. Bringing in a transfer who would be eligible in 2013 means we add someone with much more experience than a new freshman would. It's kind of like the college equivalent of the one-and-done rule - we get a year or two to evaluate these guys before deciding if we should "recruit" them to join our program. On top of that, we get an "extra" year of them practicing with the team before they become eligible.
    It also may be a response to the fact that our staff is going to be busy with Olympic work this summer and will not have as much time to devote to scouting/recruiting the Class of 2013. They have seen more of guys like Zeigler and Hood and Oriakhi (presumably) than they have of the current high school juniors. As of now, we have only two offers outstanding to the 2013 class, and those are out to the top two players in the class, so competition for them will be fierce.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    It also may be a response to the fact that our staff is going to be busy with Olympic work this summer and will not have as much time to devote to scouting/recruiting the Class of 2013. They have seen more of guys like Zeigler and Hood and Oriakhi (presumably) than they have of the current high school juniors. As of now, we have only two offers outstanding to the 2013 class, and those are out to the top two players in the class, so competition for them will be fierce.
    Don't forget that Duke has one committment from the class of 2013.

It's been hard for Duke to make offers to the class of 2013 without knowing how all the class-of-2012 stuff would play out. I suspect Duke will offer a number of other players from that class long before the Olympics kick in. Lots of evaluation scheduled for the next few months. Lots.