Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Rodney Hood Transferring

Rodney Hood, Freshman 6'8" SF/PF from Miss. St. is transferring according to Jeff Goodman. Perhaps a player we should keep an eye on if TP and Mr. Jefferson choose to play elsewhere. He was ranked #26 by Scout.com last year and averaged 10 pts and 4 boards in his freshman year.

LINK: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...d-transferring

NOTE TO MODS: I didn't know which thread this belonged in so if you feel the need to move it to it's proper place please do so.

He's more of a SF/SG than a PF.

If he is up to par academically he would be someone to definitely go after, this kid is legit.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    He initially chose between Louisville, 'Bama, FSU, Georgetown, Miss. St. and Marquette. Didn't see any mention or interest from Duke back then, or if there was it wasn't mutual, but of course things change.

Links from his HS days.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...ney-Hood-82490
    http://www.cardchronicle.com/2010/10...oice-next-week
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Rodney Hood, Freshman 6'8" SF/PF from Miss. St. is transferring according to Jeff Goodman. Perhaps a player we should keep an eye on if TP and Mr. Jefferson choose to play elsewhere. He was ranked #26 by Scout.com last year and averaged 10 pts and 4 boards in his freshman year.

LINK: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...d-transferring

NOTE TO MODS: I didn't know which thread this belonged in so if you feel the need to move it to it's proper place please do so.
    I think that Murphy and Gbinije along with the hopes of getting Jabari Parker and/or Wiggins makes adding Hood kind of unnecessary. He won't fill a need (we're going to be looking for big men, not second-tier SF).

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS

Duke and Ohio State among the schools that have contacted Mississippi State about Rodney Hood, source told CBSSports.

6:21 PM - 9 Apr 12

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He initially chose between Louisville, 'Bama, FSU, Georgetown, Miss. St. and Marquette. Didn't see any mention or interest from Duke back then, or if there was it wasn't mutual, but of course things change.
    Tweet from CBS's Jeff Goodman:

Duke and Ohio State among the schools that have contacted Mississippi State about Rodney Hood, source told CBSSports.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy06 View Post

6:21 PM - 9 Apr 12
    Curious. Apparently, we're really making a push for tall/versatile wings... I like it.

This doesn't say much about our recruitment of Shabazz Muhammad because by the time Hood is eligible, Muhammad will be in the NBA. Although, I wish the staff was comfortable enough with Gbinije and Murphy that they didn't feel they had to recruit another SF in their year (roughly).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think that Murphy and Gbinije along with the hopes of getting Jabari Parker and/or Wiggins makes adding Hood kind of unnecessary. He won't fill a need (we're going to be looking for big men, not second-tier SF).
    There's never anything wrong with kicking the tires and as the old adage goes, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Yes, it's nice to believe you've actually got a shot at kids like Parker and Wiggins, but let's be honest based on what we saw Saturday night I doubt Wiggins will be interested in coming to Duke. I'm pretty sure he'd be a better fit for Calipari's puppy mill at UK. Can't say anything about Parker as I haven't seen the kid play yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Yes, it's nice to believe you've actually got a shot at kids like Parker and Wiggins, but let's be honest based on what we saw Saturday night I doubt Wiggins will be interested in coming to Duke. I'm pretty sure he'd be a better fit for Calipari's puppy mill at UK.
    Why? Because he's too good? I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Why? Because he's too good? I don't understand.
    If you watched Saturday's game you wouldn't need to ask. This seventeen year old kid was probably the best player on the court. To me he looks ONE AND DONE and I put that in caps to emphasize just how good this kid looked the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    If you watched Saturday's game you wouldn't need to ask. This seventeen year old kid was probably the best player on the court. To me he looks ONE AND DONE and I put that in caps to emphasize just how good this kid looked the other night.
    Well, I didn't watch, but since we've snagged a one-and-done in each of the last two seasons, I don't understand why him being that good precludes him from considering Duke?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Airowe tweeted this sentiment, and I have to agree, that Duke is going after transfers at an unusual high pace. I can't recall a time where we have shown interest in so many transfers. Not sure if this a strategic change done purposely, or just an anomaly, but at any rate it is odd. The Ziegler kid made sense, due to Duke recruiting him in high school. The Uconn big was a head scratcher to me, beyond being a stopgap if Mason left, but now the Hood kid too? Per CB&B''s research, Duke did not recruit him out of high school. Not saying there is anything at all wrong with the approach, and I am not complaining. Just find it interesting.

There is no argument that 6'5ish/6'6-6'8 wings with length that can defend are great assets to have on a college team, so I am all for having multiple guys that size on the roster.

K constantly evolving and exploring new ways to get it done! The man never stops thinking.

agree wgoing after transfers that fit. I would love to see Hood on the team. Seems a rangy guy with a 10pt/5 board avg as fr in the SEC. I like to have as many wings and 3/4 guys as possible. Better competition in practice - Murphy , Gbinije, Hairston.. would love to add a 'Hood' to that. very highly thouhgt of in HS and did well as Freshman in SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Airowe tweeted this sentiment, and I have to agree, that Duke is going after transfers at an unusual high pace. I can't recall a time where we have shown interest in so many transfers. Not sure if this a strategic change done purposely, or just an anomaly, but at any rate it is odd. The Ziegler kid made sense, due to Duke recruiting him in high school. The Uconn big was a head scratcher to me, beyond being a stopgap if Mason left, but now the Hood kid too? Per CB&B''s research, Duke did not recruit him out of high school. Not saying there is anything at all wrong with the approach, and I am not complaining. Just find it interesting.

There is no argument that 6'5ish/6'6-6'8 wings with length that can defend are great assets to have on a college team, so I am all for having multiple guys that size on the roster.

K constantly evolving and exploring new ways to get it done! The man never stops thinking.
    It's really getting in the way of my efforts to be sarcastic about the rush to assume any high-level D-I player who announces he's transferring should be on Duke's radar, because apparently he is.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    It's really getting in the way of my efforts to be sarcastic about the rush to assume any high-level D-I player who announces he's transferring should be on Duke's radar, because apparently he is.
    Ha. Good one. I forgot about the humorous thread title you changed when the 2nd or 3rd "transfer on Duke's radar" thread went up. I guess you owe Greg an apology or something, as your words were unintendly accurate that day.

fyi nbadraft.net has Hood as the #6 overall pick in their current 2013 mock draft (tho that obviously will change after the transfer): http://www.nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

also, per watzone, check out this article title: http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/05/p...up-a-duke-fan/

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    fyi nbadraft.net has Hood as the #6 overall pick in their current 2013 mock draft (tho that obviously will change after the transfer): http://www.nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

also, per watzone, check out this article title: http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/05/p...up-a-duke-fan/
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link. Best part of that link was seeing Mason's name in the 2013 draft! Another good sign, since he had been listed in the 2012 Mock Draft up until this week. The one odd thing was seeing Ryan Harrow at 15th. Really? The same Ryan Harrow we saw at NC State? Cal must have some magic potion that can transform these kids into bona fide NBA stars!

The Hood kid looks promising. The site had him listed as 6'8 205lbs, so great size for a true wing. I hope he reciprocates the interest Duke is showing in him. If Duke really was his favorite team growing up, you would think Hood will at least explore Duke as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Duke being his "dream school" is always a good sign.

And I agree, you can't have too many 6'8" SF's on your team. So while I hope Silent G flourishes the next 3 years the fact of the matter is he showed very little this year. Up to this point, Hood's body of work would suggest him being an upgrade over what we have at the SF position on our current roster. If coach K and staff believe Hood could contribute to the team's success enough to pursue him as a transfer, that's all the proof I need.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post

I don't remember but did Duke recruit Roshown, Dahntay or Seth out of high school?