Did last nights draft make tar heel fans even more angry about this past season?

First of all CONGRATS TO AUSTIN AND MILES!

Now to the point of my post...

I wonder if seeing 4 of their starting 5 go in the first round intesifies their dissappointment of not winning it all this past season for the tar heel fan base. Even with Marshall's injury you still potentially (with Macadoo) had 4 first rounders on the floor. I would think (not just being a duke fan here) that K or many other coaches around the country could have done a better coaching job with all this talent on the floor.

Yes last year we had three go in the first round (and my dissapointment level was at an all time high when it was over), but I think the injury to Kyrie was a factor there.

Not bashing the heels... just simply stating an observation.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDevil View Post

I wonder if seeing 4 of their starting 5 go in the first round intesifies their dissappointment of not winning it all this past season for the tar heel fan base. Even with Marshall's injury you still potentially (with Macadoo) had 4 first rounders on the floor. I would think (not just being a duke fan here) that K or many other coaches around the country could have done a better coaching job with all this talent on the floor.

Yes last year we had three go in the first round (and my dissapointment level was at an all time high when it was over), but I think the injury to Kyrie was a factor there.

Last year, we only had 2 in the first round, I believe. Kyle was a 2nd round pick.

As for Heels fans, who cares? But if you really want to discuss this, I doubt it makes things any worse for them. Like many of us in 2011, I'm sure many Heels fans play the "what if" game with respect to the injuries to Kyrie and to Marshall. Anyone who watched Duke's first 8 games in 2010-11 saw that Kyrie was a special talent, and almost certainly the best player wearing a Duke uniform that year. Anyone who watched the Heels over the last season and a half knew that Marshall was a special talent that allowed all of their other exceptional talent to show their stuff. Marshall was the engine that made Carolina run.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

For rational fans, no, it would not intensify the disappointment. I find it funny that you suggest that UNC should have won despite Marshall's injury, and in the very next sentence use Irving's injury as rationalization for Duke's failure to win in 2011.

Let's see, Duke's 2012 team had at least 3 first round picks (I'm assuming most Duke fans believe Plumlee 2 will be a first rounder). They finished 2nd in the ACC regular season, did not win the ACCT, lost first game in NCAA tournament. No injury issues with the 3 aforementioned first rounders. But "K or many other coaches around the country could have done a better coaching job with all this talent on the floor." Right.

Quote Originally Posted by aheel4ever View Post
    For rational fans, no, it would not intensify the disappointment. I find it funny that you suggest that UNC should have won despite Marshall's injury, and in the very next sentence use Irving's injury as rationalization for Duke's failure to win in 2011.

Let's see, Duke's 2012 team had at least 3 first round picks (I'm assuming most Duke fans believe Plumlee 2 will be a first rounder). They finished 2nd in the ACC regular season, did not win the ACCT, lost first game in NCAA tournament. No injury issues with the 3 aforementioned first rounders. But "K or many other coaches around the country could have done a better coaching job with all this talent on the floor." Right.
    I agree -- can't blame Roy for the Heels losing to Kansas. They actually played much better than I expected without Marshall in that game. Fully healthy UNC could have given KY a legit test, I think.

And as Duke 2012 shows, having a few 1st rounders on the roster does not necessarily mean you have a complete team that is dominant in college.

Plenty of disappointment in Tar Heel land over failing to win a title last season with those players. However the rational fan understands just how hard titles are to win in the first place, and the effect the multitude of injuries had on the team.

Coaching was just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Plenty of disappointment in Tar Heel land over failing to win a title last season with those players. However the rational fan understands just how hard titles are to win in the first place, and the effect the multitude of injuries had on the team.

Coaching was just fine.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Hard for any rational individual to think otherwise. As someone else pointed out, our team this past season had at least three first round picks, and possibly as many as 5 or 6 (or maybe even 7) NBA players on the roster, yet after an injury to an important player (although not nearly as important as Kendall Marshall was to UNC) we lost to Lehigh in the first round. I don't think it was a coaching issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this. Hard for any rational individual to think otherwise. As someone else pointed out, our team this past season had at least three first round picks, and possibly as many as 5 or 6 (or maybe even 7) NBA players on the roster, yet after an injury to an important player (although not nearly as important as Kendall Marshall was to UNC) we lost to Lehigh in the first round. I don't think it was a coaching issue.
    Duke has the best coach period!!!

Congratulations to Austin and Miles for being selected in the first round! And also to the Unc players also, which are very deserving on their NBA picks! I am very proud of our players, and I know Unc fans are proud of their boys.

It is so difficult to win a National Championship. Because Duke should have several more National banners, if it were easy and based on the talent of the team. Even with the skill set, talent and best record, the statistical best team, doesn't always win! (1999 team).

Kentucky was the best team this past season and won. Duke will be back as well as Carolina. We are so fortunate to have Coach K as our head coach and leader, as I know the years are counting down. So thankful to have K being the Duke and USA coach! Next play!!!

Go Team USA!!!!

If there's disappointment, I think it would be the "we had an awesome collection of talent and the misfortune to be done in by injuries" kind of disappointment, not the "we should have done better because we had four first-rounders" kind of disappointment. The former is what we felt in 2011, as you stated. The latter is what we felt in 1999.

Winning the title requires a combination of talent, experience, health, and luck. When everything aligns correctly you get a shot at it, and if you miss out then it might be a few years before everything comes together again. In that sense, Heels fans might feel disappointed knowing that they missed out during the high point of their cycle, and in a year when several players stayed a year longer than they normally would due to the lockout. But both Duke and Carolina have the great fortune of knowing their teams don't take long to reload and are competitive nearly every season.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    As for Heels fans, who cares?
    I hereby nominate this post for thread of the past, present and future.

Four starters in the first round without a national championship has happened to us too, you know. But I agree, unc fans aren't worth wasting precious ones and zeroes over, much less brain cells. (Except the ones who have figured out how to post here without getting banned. They're merely misguided geniuses.)

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    ...Except the ones who have figured out how to post here without getting banned. They're merely misguided geniuses...
    Let's not get carried away h43.

Looks like I'm not the only one that had one thought when they read the title of this thread: who cares? Can we get this thread moved to IC?

Oh, if only we had that power in our moderator bag of tricks. You know what would be even more fun? Banning people on IC... or even better, banning people to IC!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Oh, if only we had that power in our moderator bag of tricks. You know what would be even more fun? Banning people on IC... or even better, banning people to IC!
    LOL, yeah, both of those powers would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

Coaching was just fine.
    Well, maybe. I don't think giving HB the last shot againgt Creighton when he was something like 2 for 12 and not having a great game, while Reggie Bullock had hit some clutch shots, or dumping it down low to Zeller who would have made "something" happen, giving HB the ball 20 feet from the basket and expecting him to create may not have been the best coaching I've seen.

Roy is notorious for poor game management. But this is a dead horse, but in his defense UNC chances of winning the NC were very good before KM going out, but then without the motor they had little to no chance to win it all... l
    No Roy did not blow this, it is just one of those thing that happen in sports... If blame lies anywhere it lies with HB NOT becoming the MAN (leader) and stepping up, but even that I don't fully support that.
    Last edited by oldnavy; 06-30-2012 at 08:50 PM.