Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anthony Davis on Jimmy Kimmel reminds us what a joke the term student athlete is

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/ncaab/blogs/article?offset=1&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2 Clego%3A19780928%3Atop%2Carticle%2C003defdb-05cc-32ea-a6a9-fc9c56f43f84-l%3A1&.ts=1333901133&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=us&.lang =en

Poor Davis had to be forced to go to class and would only return if he didn't have to go to class next year.

While probably somewhat tongue in cheek, also likely has an element of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/ncaab/blogs/article?offset=1&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2 Clego%3A19780928%3Atop%2Carticle%2C003defdb-05cc-32ea-a6a9-fc9c56f43f84-l%3A1&.ts=1333901133&.tsrc=pcsports&.intl=us&.lang =en

Poor Davis had to be forced to go to class and would only return if he didn't have to go to class next year.

While probably somewhat tongue in cheek, also likely has an element of truth.
    Wonder how his class attendance has been since the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wonder how his class attendance has been since the tournament?
    And I wonder how his "progress toward graduation" will be reported/recorded if his attendance is what it sounds like.

How about the communications professor allowing him to bump back that speech not once but twice? Is that a perk allowed to other student's in the class? I think not

It's interesting how point of view can influence our perceptions.

I watched this same video and thought it was all quite silly and full of jokes.... Jimmy Kimmel sets a comical tone and keeps things that way throughout the interview. If this had been Austin Rivers being interviewed about his appearance and class attendance, perhaps it would not be taken so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post

I watched this same video and thought it was all quite silly and full of jokes.... Jimmy Kimmel sets a comical tone and keeps things that way throughout the interview. If this had been Austin Rivers being interviewed about his appearance and class attendance, perhaps it would not be taken so seriously.
    I'll be honest I'd be disappointed if Austin or any Duke player said he didn't go to class or he kept asking for extensions on assignments because he was a basketball player. I take on the old school approach that if you go to school, you go to school. That being said in all fairness to Davis I don't know what kind of student he is but I guess you can give him credit for going to the classes he is still going to. Not a lot of kids in his position would do so otherwise. Found it interesting that Davis said Calipari made them go to class.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I'll be honest I'd be disappointed if Austin or any Duke player said he didn't go to class or he kept asking for extensions on assignments because he was a basketball player. I take on the old school approach that if you go to school, you go to school. That being said in all fairness to Davis I don't know what kind of student he is but I guess you can give him credit for going to the classes he is still going to. Not a lot of kids in his position would do so otherwise. Found it interesting that Davis said Calipari made them go to class.
    I don't take what's said on this video literally. My point was simply that people may be taking offense mostly because the player is from Kentucky. The extent to which Davis was good natured about Kimmel poking fun about his looks is a significant clue as to the humorous nature of the entire conversation. It's a matter of context. Had a Duke player engaged in the same sort of humor, it might be thought to be quite entertaining and obviously not true.

This is much as we've been trying to teach students for years: just because it's on the Internet/in print, doesn't make it true or accurate.

I don't take what's said on this video literally. My point was simply that people may be taking offense mostly because the player is from Kentucky. The extent to which Davis was good natured about Kimmel poking fun about his looks is a significant clue as to the humorous nature of the entire conversation. It's a matter of context. Had a Duke player engaged in the same sort of humor, it might be thought to be quite entertaining and obviously not true.

This is much as we've been trying to teach students for years: just because it's on the Internet/in print, doesn't make it true or accurate.
    He was being good natured, but that's part of the problem - it's making light of a hole in the system. I don't care that he's from Kentucky. You don't hear Austin Rivers saying that sort of thing. What you DO see is Austin Rivers going to class after declaring for the draft and Austin Rivers wanting to get his degree from Duke.

This isn't about one and dones... this is about the charade that John Calipari puts on.

New York Times article: Kentucky and Student Athletes

Interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/09/sp...tml?ref=sports

"In an ideal world, everyone would stay four years and graduate. But Kentucky’s basketball program is in fact a tribute to a real-world system that works, preparing young people for a viable profession — in this case, professional athletics."

This seems like a rehash of the interminable thread last about the hypocrisy of the NCAA and "amateurism," but if Anthony Davis is indeed going pro, as most expect, he should be getting ready to go pro and for the rest of his life, not necessarily focusing on class. I'd imagine most bball players take a relatively light 2nd-semester load, so maybe he can do both, but the focus should definitely be on his career. He should be selfish and do what's best for him. It's not his fault (nor is it Calipari's for that matter) that the NBA and NCAA have such asinine rules that essentially force the best high school players to pretend to be "real college students*" for a year.

*During my time in college there were plenty of kids who were there for only a semester or a year, almost always for much worse reasons than signing multi-million dollar contracts for employment. We always considered them real students, regardless of whether they went to class. Some of them were even fun to be around, if not influenced by. They added to my college experience.

"Football and Swahili"

Another interesting perspective on the "student athlete."

This article recants an anecdote from former UNC football player, Deunta Williams, who said that the UNC football players could only take courses approved by the athletic department, so that coursework would not interfere with practice. Swahili was taken as the language requirement, "Because the athletic department tutors are strong in Swahili."

The writer, Joe Nocera, suggests that athletes be allowed to major in their sport - football major, basketball major, etc. as dancers do at other universities. (He also believes college athletes should be paid.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/op...wahili.html?hp

I thought the exact same thing while watching this the other night when it was on Jimmy Kimmel. I cringed when he jokingly said that he'd come back if he didn't have to practice or go to class...just knew some would take it the wrong way...and here we go. This was clearly a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    How about the communications professor allowing him to bump back that speech not once but twice? Is that a perk allowed to other student's in the class? I think not
    Be careful. Even at duke, Athletes get automatic deans excuses for away games...a "perk" not allowed to other students in the class.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Be careful. Even at duke, Athletes get automatic deans excuses for away games...a "perk" not allowed to other students in the class.
    The deans excuses are not automatic. There's paperwork that needs to be filled out, same as any other student who wants a deans excuse.

I'll tell you this, Anthony Davis can play for my team anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    The deans excuses are not automatic. There's paperwork that needs to be filled out, same as any other student who wants a deans excuse.
    http://www.pratt.duke.edu/policies-procedures#novap
    http://trinity.duke.edu/academic-req...cipation-novap

That is not the case

As the link indicates once the student submits the form saying they are an athlete, students simply submit a form online ala the short term illness form saying they won't be in class. There isn't any approval from the dean needed at this point. The discretion of whether it is being misused is explicitly left to the professor. I don't know how it works in practice, I'm not an athlete and have never asked them about it, but the policies are factual, and leave very much leeway for the student and professor to work out.

The overall point which I was contesting, though, was that at duke, apparently as at kentucky, athletes are given certain "perks" (as it was worded in the other post) which are not available to other students.
    1200. DDMF.

http://www.pratt.duke.edu/policies-procedures#novap
    http://trinity.duke.edu/academic-req...cipation-novap

That is not the case

As the link indicates once the student submits the form saying they are an athlete, students simply submit a form online ala the short term illness form saying they won't be in class. There isn't any approval from the dean needed at this point. The discretion of whether it is being misused is explicitly left to the professor. I don't know how it works in practice, I'm not an athlete and have never asked them about it, but the policies are factual, and leave very much leeway for the student and professor to work out.

The overall point which I was contesting, though, was that at duke, apparently as at kentucky, athletes are given certain "perks" (as it was worded in the other post) which are not available to other students.
    The below sentences are from the Pratt link:

"This letter, signed by the Dean of Trinity College and by Brad Berndt, Associate Athletics Director, is accompanied by a schedule of that semester's varsity athletic competitions."

"Because athletic absences are pre-scheduled events, student athletes are expected to submit a form no later than one week prior to their participation in each varsity athletic competition out of town."

I'm not sure how those statements contradict my assertion that athletes have to fill out paperwork the same as other students.

Whether Kentucky kids go to class or graduate...I care not. I will continue to support Gardner-Webb.

Oh yeah! Weber State as well.

This obviously goes back a ways, but when I was at Duke I was friendly with Quin Snyder and we were in an Econ class together. Not only did he have access to amazing study guides as an athlete that he showed to me (although I had no way of possessing them since I was not an athlete) but also, I believe, a tutor. It's foolish to think things have changed. Frankly, for all the time they travel, I think D1 athletes deserve some extra perks and I did not begrudge him at all, although I was certainly jealous (and Quin had a lot of attributes a guy could be jealous about).
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    And I wonder how his "progress toward graduation" will be reported/recorded if his attendance is what it sounds like.
    Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but with all the early departures from Kentucky, I wonder if/when this may turn out to haunt them later with regard to the APR. Or perhaps they are finding ways to ensure these guys remain in academic "good standing."