Roger Ebert has a compelling article up about preparing for his upcoming vote in the single most important film list ever assembled -- Sight and Sound's once-every-ten-years survey of the world's greatest movies:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/04/post_5.html

The first survey came out in 1952, so we're about to get the seventh list.

Orson Welles' Citizen Kane has been voted No. 1 in every survey since 1962 (it was second in 1952). Actually, the 2002 survey came with a twist -- a director's list and a critic's list. For those interested, the critics list:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Vertigo
3. Rules of the Game
4. Godfather 1 and 2
5. Toyko Story
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. Battleship Potemkin
8. Sunrise
9. 8 1/2
10. Singin' in the Rain

The director's list:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Godfather 1 and 2
3. 8 1/2
4. Lawrence of Arabia
5. Dr. Strangelove
6. Bicycle Thieves
7. Raging Bull
8. Vertigo
9. Rashomon
10. (tie) Rules of the Game and Seven Samurai

Interesting that only Kane at No. 1 and the two Godfather films, 8 1/2, Rules of the Game and Vertigo make both lists.
I think it's also interesting that only Kurosowa (Rashomon and Seven Samurai) and Kubrick (Strangelove and 2001) have two films on the two top 10s.

New rules this year -- films cannot be combined (as Godfather and Godfather 2 are). They have to stand on their own.

I'll be interested to see the list. I can't imagine that Citizen Kane will not retain its No. 1 ranking.

Personally, I'd add The Searchers (the greatest film by our greatest director), Casablanca and Sullivan's Travels. I prefer Notorious to Vertigo, Seven Samurai to Rashomon. If I have to pick one, I'd go for Godffather 2 over Godfather.

Rules of the Game would be my No. 2 pick. I love that film. Wizard of Oz would be on my list before Singin' in the Rain. I know it's sentimental as hell, but what about It's a Wonderful Life?

I'm not in favor of including a film just because it was groundbreaking -- I appreciate what Battleship Potemkin meant to the development of film, but if that's the case, why not break out the white sheets and vote for Birth of a Nation -- an even more pivotal film?

I've got to think about it before I complete my top 10 (not that I have a vote). But can anybody make a case for any other inclusions?