Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    How do you know he will be upset for minutes? He is going to have to earn them regardless.

What makes you think Miles is better than Oriakhi on offense? How about defense?
    Is Kelly better than Oriakhi at rebounding?
    He complained about minutes at UConn, so he'd complain about them at Duke likely.

I know Miles is better than Oriakhi on offense by watching them play. I think they're about the same on defense. Both are strong and athletic, but both foul a lot.

Kelly doesn't have to rebound better than Oriakhi because we have Mason for that. Kelly stretches defenses and plays decent enough interior D. Plus he's not a terrible rebounder.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. Oriakhi has ruled Duke out.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I think Newton's point was that regardless of the level of competition, the athleticism is still there.

For whatever reason, Dre isn't using it.
    In my humble opinion Dre playing to his capacity when he plays with a point guard that can create shots for him. If Quinn breakouts out next year like I hope he does than Dre will be the #1 beneficiary (#2 will be Mason Plumlee). As good as Thornton is at taking care of the ball he has no idea how to create shots for other people.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    It's wasting internet space to discuss any lineup with Oriakhi in it, because he isn't coming. If Duke adds another big, it will either be Parker or Jefferson. Agree with CDu that Rasheed will play early and often. The kid is good and his defense alone will get him into the rotation. Providing that Kelly's injury heals properly and does not set him back, he will start at the 4 beside Mason.

Everything else is up for grabs. The battles in practice for the 1, 2, and 3 spots is going to be brutal. IF Shabazz chooses to be a Blue Devil, thats a 3rd starting spot penciled in. (Man what a week this will be if that happens! Wow).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Starter Bench
    PG: Cook Thornton, Sheed
    SG: Curry Dawkins, Sheed
    SF: Gbinije or Murphy
    PF: Kelly Hairston
    C: Mason Marshall
    I mostly agree with this, at least at the start of the season. Also agree with those who think Rasheed could work his way up the depth chart as the season progresses. I do think that Thornton will be the starter as we enter the season, simply because he was the starter over Cook at the end of last season. Again, that could change by the time the games start.

Also, I don't imagine Rasheed will play that much at PG. I think we'll see Curry move over to point and Sheed stay at the 2 before that happens. But we'll see...

Finally, will we ever see the Plumlees play together? A lot of us have been overlooking Marshall but if he ends up being able to provide 20ish minutes of solid play then Mason could play some at the 4, which I think is actually his more natural position. This would mean that Hairston gets very little floor time.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I mostly agree with this, at least at the start of the season. Also agree with those who think Rasheed could work his way up the depth chart as the season progresses. I do think that Thornton will be the starter as we enter the season, simply because he was the starter over Cook at the end of last season. Again, that could change by the time the games start.

Also, I don't imagine Rasheed will play that much at PG. I think we'll see Curry move over to point and Sheed stay at the 2 before that happens. But we'll see...

Finally, will we ever see the Plumlees play together? A lot of us have been overlooking Marshall but if he ends up being able to provide 20ish minutes of solid play then Mason could play some at the 4, which I think is actually his more natural position. This would mean that Hairston gets very little floor time.
    I think K will throw both Plums out there together for a few minutes at times so see how it meshes. I doubt it happens a lot, but do think we will see it in spots. Marshall is a natural back to the basket center, so you are right in that Mason would slide up to the 4 spot. Mason is a really good passer, its just the lack of a consistent jumpshot that limits him at the 4 on offense.

I am anxious to see Marshall get out there. I love his demeanor. A constant scowl, and he goes hard every play. He is going to be enjoyable to watch develop.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I do think that Thornton will be the starter as we enter the season, simply because he was the starter over Cook at the end of last season. Again, that could change by the time the games start.
    The same EXACT things were said last year and it didn't happen. I just don't see it happening this year either. I'm sure Cook improves and hopefully he matures as well, but don't see him starting. Based on what I've seen so far if Cook takes anyone's minutes it'll be Dre.

Honestly, I'm surprised there haven't been any transfers.

We'll have seven minutes-deserving players for the 1-3 spots: Murphy, Dawkins, Gbinije, Curry, Thornton, Cook and Sulaimon.

Budget three players for the post rotation at a bare minimum, and there's no way all seven crack the rotation.

So who gets left out? Gbinije again, I guess, even though I think that would be a mistake. Who would even be next to cut the rotation to 8?

Maybe...

There's more to being a Duke basketball player than the number of minutes you might get based on a bunch of fan's opinions.

1. Coach K probably teaches you alot during PRACTICE...
    2. You genuinely like your teammates...
    3. Duke classes actually teach you something useful...
    4. (Please feel free to keep adding to the list.)

Maybe the 2010 team where everyone played 4 years tells us more about how much Duke has to offer than other schools.

Of course, the 2010 team also had an 8-man rotation. Thus, my point.

(not to mention one of the non-rotation players transferred following the season)

And the players on that 2010 team that are seniors now and did not get alot of playing time are still at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    And the players on that 2010 team that are seniors now and did not get alot of playing time are still at Duke.
    A little confused as to what your point is... 3 of the 4 were rotation players as freshman, and two even started some games. And as I said, a sophomore who was left out of the rotation once ACC season started transferred.

My point was that, unless K is going to bust out the ten man rotation, a couple of players who would start for most ACC teams are going to fall out of the rotation. And unlike most seasons, it's hard for me to even begin to figure out who that might be.

I think MarkD83's point was that some of the younger guys might be willing to stick around even if they're not getting playing time right now, with the hopes that by the time they're seniors the playing time will come. Not everyone will automatically decide to transfer just because they're not getting 30 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Of course, the 2010 team also had an 8-man rotation. Thus, my point.

(not to mention one of the non-rotation players transferred following the season)
    Just a note: Olek transferred in the middle of the season, not following it.
    1200. DDMF.

We'll figure out our rotation in Atlantis...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised there haven't been any transfers.

We'll have seven minutes-deserving players for the 1-3 spots: Murphy, Dawkins, Gbinije, Curry, Thornton, Cook and Sulaimon.

Budget three players for the post rotation at a bare minimum, and there's no way all seven crack the rotation.

So who gets left out? Gbinije again, I guess, even though I think that would be a mistake. Who would even be next to cut the rotation to 8?
    Assuming no new adds with Bazz or Amile for purposes of this thread at least, Alex or Mike may see some minutes as a small 4, particularly if MP3 is not ready.

That still leaves 6 guys competing for 3 spots with the highly rated Sheed having the longest learning curve particularly on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    That still leaves 6 guys competing for 3 spots with the highly rated Sheed having the longest learning curve particularly on defense.
    I'm pretty sure Sulaimon won't be the worst defender of the six. He'll probably be better than Dawkins from day 1, and in fact wouldn't be shocking if he's a better defender than Cook, Curry, or Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I'm pretty sure Sulaimon won't be the worst defender of the six. He'll probably be better than Dawkins from day 1, and in fact wouldn't be shocking if he's a better defender than Cook, Curry, or Murphy.
    or Thornton.

I tend to agree, and I really think that people on this board continue to underrate Sheed. He has an offensive combination that Seth, Dre, Cook, and Tyler simply cannot offer and that is the ability to BOTH knock down outside shots consistently and consistently create his own shot. That combination is something that I think Cook can continue to develop, but IMO it is simply not something we will ever see from Dre, Seth, or Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Assuming no new adds with Bazz or Amile for purposes of this thread at least, Alex or Mike may see some minutes as a small 4, particularly if MP3 is not ready.

I don't see either Murphy or (especially) Gbinije getting all of their minutes at PF next year. So I'd say that we still have at least 6.5 guys competing for 3 spots. And that's assuming that one of Hairston or Marshall isn't ready to provide 10-15 mpg next year, which seems unlikely to me. I'd expect both to be ready to provide that level of contribution.

The reality is that we have 11 fairly heavily-recruited players for 8-9 regular rotation spots. So 2-3 guys are going to get squeezed next year.

I would expect Sulaimon to be one the best on-ball defenders we have next year, if not the best. That's a statement both about his abilities and the limitations of the guys returning on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I tend to agree, and I really think that people on this board continue to underrate Sheed.
    I've actually thought the opposite and am afraid people are expecting too much from Rasheed before he even steps on campus. People compare him to Nolan Smith, but Nolan also began his career on a team with several returning guards and didn't get many minutes as a freshman. Rasheed might have certain physical gifts that the other guards don't have, but there's the possibility that the college game might be too fast for him initially. Michael also had certain physical attributes that theoretically filled a need on this past year's team but he barely played.

I like what I've seen from Rasheed so far, but I don't get the impression that he's a Kyrie/Austin type of can't-miss guard who will start from day one.