Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    You quoted my post in making a snarky observation about the ball size, and I simply noted that ball size [and my incorrect observation regarding the different location of lines on the court between the men's and women's game] was the least important argument here...

I did read your argument, and I just fundamentally disagree with you and brevity. I don't believe this is a matter of imaginative thinking. It's a matter of basic biological reality, as others have [in my opinion] correctly stated. Bottom line, we're talking about one of the most uniquely talented and athletic (in fact, arguably the most uniquely talented and athletic) women's basketball players ever in the women's game—a Bill Russell/Wilt Chamberlain/Lew Alcindor-type of truly transcendental talent... Yet despite this fact, I really find it hard to believe that any NBA player personnel decision-maker in their right mind [with the exception of Mark "I-never-met-a-PR-opportunity-I-didn't-like" Cuban] would even consider giving Griner a serious look...
    I would add to this that if there IS such a freakishly talented woman that she can play in the NBA in the future, there will likely not be any others waiting in the wings to jump to the League. I think we're talking about a rarity such as the diminutive Muggsy Bogues. Who's expecting the next 5' 3" NBA star to show up? Maybe, going in the opposite direction, that player will be a seven-footer, at least, with an unusual quickness for her size. I hope I'm still around to see this great player - if she's really out there.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I think you're making the same mistake that is often made when comparing individuals to populations. Men, on average, are stronger and faster than women, on average. This does not preclude the possibility that an individual woman can be strong enough or fast enough to make the NBA, particularly if she brings some other significant skill or value. Men in the pros are already well above average in speed and strength, so this woman would need to be significantly above women's average -- but it's not impossible. I do think it's more likely, as Reisen stated, in sports like golf or baseball.
    With all due respect, we're not comparing an individual female to the entire male population. We're comparing arguably the most talented women's basketball player of all time [thus far] with the tiny sub-population of men who represent the elite athletes she would have to compete with in the NBA. The biological fact that men and women are designed differently isn't equivalent to saying Griner can't compete with any man in the sport. I daresay she can likely school the average guy in a pick-up game (she would certainly wax the floor with my scrawny behind). But that's not the question here. The question is whether she can compete against the elite level of athletes who play in the NBA. I think Brian913's example of the East German female athletes is perhaps the best way to distill the biology argument—it's not a comparison of the elite athlete against the entire population, but rather a comparison of elite athlete groupings. An elite male swimmer will always beat an elite female swimmer, period. Why? Biology. The same is true here.

watching her special before the championship game now....those clips showing some highlights...

not much vertical...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese