Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by rhcpflea99 View Post
    Had plenty discussions on Britney play, everyone say she plays like a "dude" but never once did I assume or think that she is actually a guy. This just people trying to make something out of nothing again...
    Those sensitivity meters keep ratcheting off the scales.

  2. #22

    Pre Game Introductions

    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I think that part of the front page reaction was apparently the Tweet-universe was going off on her at the same time the ND coach made her statement with stuff like, "She looks like a man." and "She sounds like a man." "She has a y chromosome." I don't really fault the ND coach. Griner does play like a man. She dunks. But I would prefer that people don't use the "man" term derogatorily like it sounds on Tweeter.
    I noted in the pre-game introductions that when ND was introduced, they had a variety of school backgrounds, such as graduate studies, etc. In the case of Baylor, all five starters majored in Athletics and Human Performance, whatever that academic major consists of. It occurred to me that the academic standards at Baylor might give them a leg up in the recruiting arena.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I noted in the pre-game introductions that when ND was introduced, they had a variety of school backgrounds, such as graduate studies, etc. In the case of Baylor, all five starters majored in Athletics and Human Performance, whatever that academic major consists of. It occurred to me that the academic standards at Baylor might give them a leg up in the recruiting arena.
    Are you trying to say they genetically engineer their female athletes?

  4. #24
    I thought this thread was about the "Leave Britney alone" YouTube video from several years back.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Near Cameron & Wallace Wade Stadium
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I thought this thread was about the "Leave Britney alone" YouTube video from several years back.
    LOL! The "Leave Britney Alone" YouTube video, was about Britney Spears. It should also apply to Baylor's Women's 2012 National Championship team, and their MVP, Ms Britney Griner. She played a wonderful NCAA tournament. And with the return of Britney at Center and Odyssey Sims, at Point Guard; Baylor should be in good contention of a Final Four return next season!


    Congratulations to the Baylor Lady Bears on a Perfect 40 - 0 season, and their National Championship!

    I look forward to our Duke Women's Basketball team next season, with the return of our wonderful ladies, and the return of Richa and Amber (recovering from injuries) and Chloe!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I thought this thread was about the "Leave Britney alone" YouTube video from several years back.
    chris-crocker-leave-britney.jpg

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I noted in the pre-game introductions that when ND was introduced, they had a variety of school backgrounds, such as graduate studies, etc. In the case of Baylor, all five starters majored in Athletics and Human Performance, whatever that academic major consists of. It occurred to me that the academic standards at Baylor might give them a leg up in the recruiting arena.
    Long ago, during the 60's, all players in ACC games were announced with their hometowns and majors. One year, when State came to Duke Indoor Stadium, their starting five were all listed as 'rural Recreation' majors, and the late, great Art Chandler, M.D. got a bit toungue-twisted, I believe. This, compared to the Duke players' history, economics, and poly sci majors, brought a few chuckles to the audience. Jim Sumner can probably give a better timeline, but I believe the next season, no one had their majors announced with the starting lineups. Wonder if the current unc team would have had some Swahili majors interspersed?
    Happy Easter to all,
    JStuart

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    Wonder if the current unc team would have had some Swahili majors interspersed?
    What is wrong with a major in Swahili? Is it any less legitimate than a major in French or German?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Those sensitivity meters keep ratcheting off the scales.
    How sensitive do you have to be to get annoyed by unsupported accusations that the best player in the sport is defrauding the game?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    What is wrong with a major in Swahili? Is it any less legitimate than a major in French or German?
    I believe the unc football scandal featured a paper on Swahili that was plagiarized in large part. I seem to recall the professor - the former chair of the Dept of African Studies - resigned his chairmanship over it.

    There were many discussions here when the ncsu folks found the plagiarism after the unc judicial board hadn't.

    -jk

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

    There were many discussions here when the ncsu folks found the plagiarism after the unc judicial board hadn't.

    -jk
    In the filing cabinet of my mind I'm gathering items to explain why NCSU is so well-regarded here (or well-wished) compared to other ACC schools (after Duke of course). This is a fine specimen to add to my collection - thanks! I had forgotten the circumstances of the discovery.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    In the filing cabinet of my mind I'm gathering items to explain why NCSU is so well-regarded here (or well-wished) compared to other ACC schools (after Duke of course). This is a fine specimen to add to my collection - thanks! I had forgotten the circumstances of the discovery.
    I'm not sure how you're reading that into my post - I was using it to point out the incompetence of the unc judi board.

    -jk

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I believe the unc football scandal featured a paper on Swahili that was plagiarized in large part. I seem to recall the professor - the former chair of the Dept of African Studies - resigned his chairmanship over it.

    There were many discussions here when the ncsu folks found the plagiarism after the unc judicial board hadn't.

    -jk
    Do remember that the professor involved in that matter at UNC was a Duke graduate.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Do remember that the professor involved in that matter at UNC was a Duke graduate.
    Yes, Duke Law, '90. I guess he lost his way when he went over to the Light Shade.

    -jk

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I'm not sure how you're reading that into my post - I was using it to point out the incompetence of the unc judi board.

    -jk
    Actually I'm with you on that. I've generally found the amity toward NCSU expressed on the home page with articles wishing them well, how important it is for them to be great again, and on and on. I've always found it rather curious, as I would think we have a lot more in common with a school like Wake Forest than NCSU.

    Nevertheless, you post reminded me of both NCSU's intrepid sleuthing and the (intentional?) incompetence of UNC's judicial board.

    Sorry for the confusion/mash-up.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I'm reviving this old thread in light of the news bits this week about Mark Cuban expressing interest in either drafting Brittney Griner in the 2nd round or (more likely) inviting her to help represent the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Summer League. (I attended a few games in last year's Summer League. It was low-key. Griner would make the 2013 Summer League the opposite of that.)

    Among the immediate responses were Geno Auriemma (against it) and Nancy Lieberman (for it).

    I wasn't going to post anything about this, but then Shane Battier weighed in.

    Miami Heat forward Shane Battier, who has played several pickup basketball games with women over the years, predicts that the NBA is not far away from having its first female player.

    "There's no doubt that in our lifetime, there will be a woman NBA player," Battier told ESPN.com after Thursday's Heat practice at AmericanAirlines Arena.
    He did not go so far as to sign an Executive Order to that effect, mostly because he is not President yet.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I'm reviving this old thread in light of the news bits this week about Mark Cuban expressing interest in either drafting Brittney Griner in the 2nd round or (more likely) inviting her to help represent the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Summer League.

    It is difficult to imagine her successfully battling for position as a center or PF in the NBA, because she is listed as 6'8" yet under 210 lbs. I see no harm in making an extra spot for her in the summer league to see how she does (or more accurately, show the viewing public was she can do ... I'm sure she could show what she can do in a scrimmage). If she has an outside shot (I don't follow that closely so I don't know), then maybe she could play on the perimeter as a SG or SF and shoot over some guys. But if there's no a priori reason to suspect she could succeed, and this is just a gimmick to get attention (shocking to consider, I know), I'm really not crazy about it b/c it could take away a spot from someone who could truly compete for a spot. That's why I say "making an extra spot" in the summer league.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN.
    I would say she has absolutely no shot to play in the NBA. She's not quick enough, strong enough, it skilled enough.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I would say she has absolutely no shot to play in the NBA. She's not quick enough, strong enough, it skilled enough.
    Yep. Her dominance was due to her size in the women's game. Imagine if Shaq had been 4 inches shorter and weighed 150 lbs less. Would he have been as dominant? Heck no.

    She's tall and strong for a woman, but doesn't jump very well and doesn't have a real good shooting touch. Most of her points came from inside on layins and putbacks from what I saw of her (granted I didn't watch every game).

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toledo
    Shane Battier, as much as I love him, is talking complete nonsense. And Mark Cuban is a walking publicity stunt.

    Britney Griner has about as much chance of playing in the NBA as a bicycle does winning the Daytona 500.
    "Duke is a once in a lifetime opportunity and something you don't pass up on." -Amile Jefferson

Similar Threads

  1. Front Page Story About Brand and Tupac
    By slower in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
  2. Story behind front page pic?
    By roywhite in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM
  3. Story on the front page about national champions...
    By Lord Ash in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 01:15 AM
  4. Front Page - Harry Truman Story
    By camion in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 08:53 AM
  5. Kay Yow story on front page
    By allenmurray in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •