My predictions:

American League
    Red Sox
    Tigers
    Indians
    Angels

Tigers Vs. Indians in ALCS

Tigers to World Series

Rationale: These two teams will be in a tight race all the way to the end of the regular season. The Red Sox will become a bit lax and will be "rusty," relatively speaking, for the playoffs. Indians pull the big upset. Tigers are hungry to get back to World Series. They became "rusty" themselves after sweeping he ALCS last year, and a hungry Cardinal team took advantage. Tigers stay hungry and make it back to the World Series.

National League
    Mets
    Cubs
    Braves
    Diamondbacks

Cubs vs. Diamondbacks

Cubs to World Series

Rationale: This is the toughest league to call. Experience and good trades give the Braves the edge to make the wildcard cut. Mets live up to expectation and win the division. Diamondbacks overtake the Dodgers and end up winning the west by four games or so. The Cubs blow by slipping Milwaukee but still don't wrap up the division until the final week. They use this momentum to carry them through the NLCS and to the World Series, delighting Cubs fans nationwide.

Cubs vs. Tigers in World Series.

Cubs Win! Cubs Win! Cubs Win the World Series!

Rationale: Hey, the Red Sox ended their drought. The White Sox ended their's. It's time for the Cubs. Party at Murphy's and Cubby Bear! The Tigers begin to get the Buffalo Bills/Atlanta Braves reputation.

Don't say it EJ, Don't say it.

As a die-hard Cubs fan, I haven't even started to think that far ahead.

On the baseball note, I have a Cubs minor league blog that some of you may be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    My predictions:

American League
    Red Sox
    Tigers
    Indians
    Angels

Tigers Vs. Indians in ALCS

Tigers to World Series

Rationale: These two teams will be in a tight race all the way to the end of the regular season. The Red Sox will become a bit lax and will be "rusty," relatively speaking, for the playoffs. Indians pull the big upset.
    So you mean Cleveland will upset the Red Sox, the same Cleveland team the Red Sox just took 3 of 4 from IN CLEVELAND?

And if the Sox will become lax, that means they have time to get the rotation in order, etc., compared to the Indians who will be battling it out. Doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    So you mean Cleveland will upset the Red Sox, the same Cleveland team the Red Sox just took 3 of 4 from IN CLEVELAND?

And if the Sox will become lax, that means they have time to get the rotation in order, etc., compared to the Indians who will be battling it out. Doubtful.
    As the Tigers had time to rest their pitching staff prior to the World Series last year after sweeping the Angels (while St. Louis was battling it out in the NLCS)? There's lots to be said for momentum.

If I'm wrong on my predictions, I will eat my underwear and swallow a bowlful of human back hair.

Okay, just kidding about the underwear and swallowing a bowlful of human back hair, but seriously, I stand by my prediction! The Indians will shock the world!

-EarlJam

Okay, just kidding about the underwear and swallowing a bowlful of human back hair, but seriously, I stand by my prediction! The Indians will shock the world!
    If Cleveland beating the Red Sox counts as shocking the world, what does the Cubs winning the World Series constitute?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    If Cleveland beating the Red Sox counts as shocking the world, what does the Cubs winning the World Series constitute?
    I'm still pissed the Red Sox and Cubs didn't play in the '03 world series.

freaking bartman and boone...

No way the Indians take Boston (and this from a life long Yankee fan) my poor, long suffering husband hails from Cleveland (his dad pitched in the minors) They way of Cleveland sport is this: Any Cleveland team will perform just well enough for the fans to begin to believe this might be THE year...only to crash and burn....again.

It is the natural order of Cleveland sports...they give you hope and then snatch it away.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

i also think the mets will be the favorite to win the NL, as they were a base hit away last year, and this time around we have actual pitchers and a "better" lineup. we'll see how they match up with the cubs this weekend, but last time around the mets took care of business. dont forget, this is the cubs we're talking about here, and they really do stink very badly.

Not to get too offtopic--but I had to comment on hurleyfor3's avatar...I got married at that site a month ago! Are you from Seattle?

And just to make some on-topic comments...I predict neither the Mariner's or my Twinkies will sniff the World Series...how's that for a prediction?

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
    Not to get too offtopic--but I had to comment on hurleyfor3's avatar...I got married at that site a month ago! Are you from Seattle?

And just to make some on-topic comments...I predict neither the Mariner's or my Twinkies will sniff the World Series...how's that for a prediction?
    I play guitar and once wrote a snog...and a song (can't spell today) called "Jesus in Seattle." Played it with a band. Rocked the ten people in attendance at the Red Light in Atlanta. I've always wanted to visit Seattle. Just seems like a nice, beautiful city with lots to do. Years ago I drank too much in a bar that had a Washington state license plate on the shelf. Motivated by the license plate and the mass quantities of alcohol, I left the bar, took a cab to Hartsfield airport and purchased a ticket to Seattle. I got all the way to the metal detectors before I came to my senses/wussed out. Though they were hesitant to do it, and gave me a very hard time, the airline gave me a refund. Looking back, I wish I had gone on through. Would of been a great story. Anyway, then I wrote a song about the whole experience. That was an odd day....in the odd life....of Earljam.

Anyway, didn't mean to interrupt the question so I'll repeat it for Peterson: Hurleyfor3, are you from Seattle?

-Earljam

Seattle is a great city...and your song sounds like it would have fit right in with the local scene. Too bad you didn't take that flight...my "spur-of-the-moment-take-a-flight-to-somewhere-moments" tend to always involve Las Vegas, which usually ends up being a bit expensive...

I moved out here on a whim after finishing grad school at Duke, and it was a fantastic decision. That was nine years ago. The city is fun, Eastern Washington is spectacular for road trips, and the Cascades and Olympics are wonderful. Granted, it can be grey and misty for a good part of the winter, but that's better than -30 and snowing like Minnesota (where I grew up).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
    Seattle is a great city...and your song sounds like it would have fit right in with the local scene. Too bad you didn't take that flight...my "spur-of-the-moment-take-a-flight-to-somewhere-moments" tend to always involve Las Vegas, which usually ends up being a bit expensive...

I moved out here on a whim after finishing grad school at Duke, and it was a fantastic decision. That was nine years ago. The city is fun, Eastern Washington is spectacular for road trips, and the Cascades and Olympics are wonderful. Granted, it can be grey and misty for a good part of the winter, but that's better than -30 and snowing like Minnesota (where I grew up).

Mike
    This will be the year I make it to Seattle. Nothing and no one, except for God, will stop me. Got a recommendation for a good little dive bar where I can perform about thirty to forty-five minutes worth of simple, catchy songs?

Jesus in Seattle (circa 2001)

It was Tuesday night when I left the bar;
    Paid my tab, headed to my car.
    Had my mind made up before I hit the highway.

Took the South turn on 85;
    Said a prayer, gave myself a high five.
    And I was off to take my troubles to the skyway.

Babe I can’t come home.
    Later on I’ll phone.
    Right now I’m off to fight my battle.

Have to get away.
    Just to get my soul straight.
    I’m off to find Jesus in Seattle.

Westward bound in a fat tin can;
    Jack and Coke wedged in my right hand.
    And I smile as the Rocky Mountains pass below.

I woke up on the West coast tarmac;
    Swore to myself I’d get my soul back.
    I’ve come here to make my peace with the Holy Ghost.

CHORUS

LEAD

Walked the streets of the Puget sound;
    Lookin' lost trying to get found;
    As the sun checked out I got a little notion.

Staring up at mountain ranges;
    Makin’ friends with West coast strangers;
    Found myself in another bar going through the motions.

The bartender looked at me;
    Poured some truth and set my soul free.
    And all his 12 buddies raised a toast of beer.

He said son it’s good to see you;
    You should know I’ll never leave you.
    But now is not the time for you to be here.

Glad you got away;
    Hope I’ve set your soul straight;
    With me you’ll always win your battles.

I picked up the phone;
    Said babe I’m coming home.
    Courtesy of Jesus in Seattle.

A thank you...A thank you very much.

-EarlJam

Where's the podcast??

EarlJam, great lyrics! When will you be posting the mp3, or releasing a podcast? If you do ever make it out here, we'll have to have a DBR-meetup.

Peterson is stretching the truth a little bit when he(?she?) says: "Granted, it can be grey and misty for a good part of the winter."

It was grey and misty just yesterday morning! It's JULY, people...

What a great place to get married -- did you have to rent out the whole sculpture garden? Congrats on the nuptials.

Oh, and to keep this on track, I think there's not a chance in h-e-double-hockeysticks that the M's will make the playoffs, so go Cubs!

Yeah, this summer has been a bit annoying lately...July weather has been positively Juneish. We've been heading to Eastern Washington on the weekends to avoid that...it was 90 and sunny in the Naches River Valley last weekend--which was fantastic.

I don't think you can technically rent out the entire sculpture garden--but you can rent the pavilion (that big building on the southeast corner of the site) and the outdoor amphitheatre. The Seattle Art Museum provides security to prevent people from strolling through your ceremony.

Playoffs?

Did you two really manage to hijack this thread and redirect it from postseason baseball conversation to living/getting married in eastern Washington? Well played. Well played, indeed...

Um, oops?

Oh, and for EarlJam re his dive bar--they happen to be a specialty of mine. I would say the HighDive in Fremont (also known as the center of the Universe) would be a good choice...or maybe the Boxcar in Magnolia. The premier dive bars (is that an oxymoron?) in Seattle are the Mecca in Queen Anne and The Five Point in Belltown. Both fabulous dive bars with good juke boxes (and breakfast), but they don't really have live music at either...

In response to the Red Sox possibility of "getting rusty", I believe, after last August's month of injuries, we stay healthy and we're going to the World Series. Manny's bat is finally strong and Big Papi is getting there (2 HR and all of our RBIs last night). Plus, Lester is back, Schilling is coming back this weekend, and we've added Gagne to an already strong bullpen.

Heading to Fenway for tomorrow's game against the Orioles...Go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by dukehoopsgirl View Post
    In response to the Red Sox possibility of "getting rusty", I believe, after last August's month of injuries, we stay healthy and we're going to the World Series. Manny's bat is finally strong and Big Papi is getting there (2 HR and all of our RBIs last night). Plus, Lester is back, Schilling is coming back this weekend, and we've added Gagne to an already strong bullpen.

Heading to Fenway for tomorrow's game against the Orioles...Go Sox!
    now that is a knowledgeable female red sox fan...the question is, is she eligible?

...the question is, is she eligible?

Sorry...happily married. But, my husband and I had an awesome time at today's Red Sox win over the Orioles!

Quote Originally Posted by dukehoopsgirl View Post
    ...the question is, is she eligible?

Sorry...happily married. But, my husband and I had an awesome time at today's Red Sox win over the Orioles!
    Regarding the win over the Orioles: Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

-EarlJam

P.S. Baltimore Orioles - World Series Champions, 2008!