Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters 2012

Kinda brisk this morning by Georgia standards. Rain front sorta fell apart right before it hit town (mainly went south) so it should not have impacted the course much. Wind shaking my trees this morning, too.

I would not want an early round this morning but is supposed to settle as the day progresses I think.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    No penalty strokes on his 8, surprisingly.

1 way left into the straw
    2 hits it about 30 feet, still in the straw
    3 kind of worm burns it to the other side of the fairway
    4 airmails the green back left
    5 pitches it short, still not on the green yet
    6 rolls it about 3½ feet by
    7 side-lips putt to right
    8 in the hole.
    That's an almost perfect description of pretty much every hole I play.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    That's an almost perfect description of pretty much every hole I play.
    Stenson's adventure on 18 compared with Tiger's is a perfect example of why golf is such a mental game and how much that contributes to being able to win major championships.

Stenson hit his tee shot into the trees on the left same as Tiger. Tiger had an unplayable lie so was hitting three from the pine straw. Stenson couldn't get his ball out of the trees so he was hitting three from the pine straw too. Tiger smacked his third shot short and left of the green leaving himself a very difficult short-sided up and down for bogey. Stenson "worm-burned' his third shot but made it out on the fairway wedge distance from the hole. So both were hitting their fourth shot from off the green, and I bet most pros would have preferred Stenson's position to Tiger's. Yet the difference was in their heads. After hitting the worm-burner, Stenson angrily swung his club into the ground - and that was where he lost the chance to salvage the hole. His anger led to him flying the green in a situation where he probably hits the green 90% of the time. Instead of maintaing his composure, making an easy wedge shot and walking away with no worse than a 6 (leaving him at -3 or -4 if he could make the bogey putt), he lost his mind for 10 minutes and made four consecutive bad shots.

On the other hand, Tiger made an unbelievable pitch and run for his fourth shot and made the bogey putt - saving a critical stroke. That's where majors are won and lost. We'll see where Stenson's head is today, but he probably lost any chance at winning the Masters with that angry reaction and swing of the golf club in frustration.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Stenson's adventure on 18 compared with Tiger's is a perfect example of why golf is such a mental game and how much that contributes to being able to win major championships.

Stenson hit his tee shot into the trees on the left same as Tiger. Tiger had an unplayable lie so was hitting three from the pine straw. Stenson couldn't get his ball out of the trees so he was hitting three from the pine straw too. Tiger smacked his third shot short and left of the green leaving himself a very difficult short-sided up and down for bogey. Stenson "worm-burned' his third shot but made it out on the fairway wedge distance from the hole. So both were hitting their fourth shot from off the green, and I bet most pros would have preferred Stenson's position to Tiger's. Yet the difference was in their heads. After hitting the worm-burner, Stenson angrily swung his club into the ground - and that was where he lost the chance to salvage the hole. His anger led to him flying the green in a situation where he probably hits the green 90% of the time. Instead of maintaing his composure, making an easy wedge shot and walking away with no worse than a 6 (leaving him at -3 or -4 if he could make the bogey putt), he lost his mind for 10 minutes and made four consecutive bad shots.

On the other hand, Tiger made an unbelievable pitch and run for his fourth shot and made the bogey putt - saving a critical stroke. That's where majors are won and lost. We'll see where Stenson's head is today, but he probably lost any chance at winning the Masters with that angry reaction and swing of the golf club in frustration.
    Excellent point.

Experience on the course and in majors also helps. Tiger knows that the pin is on the back shelf, and has hit the shot he played before. He also knows that you won't win the Masters on Thursday but you can sure shoot yourself out of it. Stenson may have thought he had to carry the ball to the back shelf, and was pressing to try and get it close for a reasonable bogey putt.

And here comes Rory....he's three under par on the day through seven holes, now just one shot off the lead.

I'm sticking with Bubba. or maybe Rory. Freddy always plays well at Augusta - I would love to see him in contention on Sunday.

And "The Kick" will go down in infamy. It is golf so it can suck, but chill, dude, it is still a game.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I'm sticking with Bubba. or maybe Rory. Freddy always plays well at Augusta - I would love to see him in contention on Sunday.
    Yeah, I like Bubba and Rory. Also, this just might be the major Lee Westwood finally gets, although being a stroke back on Friday may just be Lee being Lee. Mickelson is not in bad shape either at -2. The leaderboard is bunched up with enough good players that I have to believe a couple people will shoot 66 or so tomorrow and create some separation.

And "The Kick" will go down in infamy. It is golf so it can suck, but chill, dude, it is still a game.
    Yeaaaaaaaaah, Tiger's back! He really needs to get a hold of his temper. You can get away with that crap at 22. Less so at 36. Oh well, the Washington Road Hooters is calling.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Oh well, the Washington Road Hooters is calling.
    I miss John Daley, who would park his RV outside the Hooters and stay there for the week.

True.

I'm rooting hard for Abt (anybody but Tiger).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    I'm rooting hard for Abt (anybody but Tiger).
    I don't think you have to waste your time.
    ~rthomas

Getting tight down the finish . . .

On to playoff hole #2.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    On to playoff hole #2.
    Bubba twice had putts on 18 to win, and missed both. Now he's pulled his drive horribly left on #10. C'mon Bubba!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Bubba twice had putts on 18 to win, and missed both. Now he's pulled his drive horribly left on #10. C'mon Bubba!
    Incredible second shot by Bubba! Congratulations on winning your first Masters!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My pick this year is Bubba. Two advantages at Augusta - distance and being a lefty.
    Good call.

Congratulations Bubba on your first Masters. Sudden death playoff was very exciting. Bubba was so emotional, with talking about his wife, Angie, and their newly adopted son, Caleb.

Bubba!
    ~rthomas

Sick second shot on the playoff hole at #10 by Bubba. Championship shot.

I was sure wrong about the flat stick. Congratulations, Bubba. A popular winner - and well deserved.