Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters 2012

Masters 2012

On the eve of the season's first major, I can't remember being this excited about the Masters. I've spent way too much time watching preview coverage, and I'm not making any plans this weekend so I can watch all of the broadcast coverage of the final two rounds.

There are so many great storylines, and so many of the top players in the world are in coming in hot. I fully expect a lot of the top 10 players to be in contention on Sunday, and I also have a gut feeling that Tiger is going to win this thing by a few strokes at least. Here's an interesting tidbit, during the past six years, Woods - through all the ups and very downs of his personal life and golf game - has not finished worse than 6th at Augusta. I think he needs to be a B+ putter this week to win. The one thing that could be an issue for him is the short game, which has not been quite as sharp his driving and iron shots - including at Bay Hill - and will be crucial this week.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Woods - through all the ups and very downs of his personal life and golf game - has not finished worse than 6th at Augusta.
    Only true since 2005. He was T15 in '03 and T22 in '04. He has a long way to go to match Nicklaus' British Open streak.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Only true since 2005. He was T15 in '03 and T22 in '04. He has a long way to go to match Nicklaus' British Open streak.
    Yes - wrote that it was "during the past six years". The point is - even in the years when he was playing arguably his worst golf, he still contended in the Masters every year.
    Last edited by mr. synellinden; 04-04-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Singler is IRON

OK, true enough.

In any event, we'll know whether he gets major #15 by the close of business Saturday.

It's been really hot and dry here for the last three weeks, but heavy rain last night and I think they just cleared the course due to lightning. Not sure if the Par-3 contest is on hold or has been cancelled.

Azaleas already bloomed through, but course is otherwise in excellent shape par usual.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It's been really hot and dry here for the last three weeks, but heavy rain last night and I think they just cleared the course due to lightning. Not sure if the Par-3 contest is on hold or has been cancelled.

Azaleas already bloomed through, but course is otherwise in excellent shape par usual.
    Pun intended?

Supposedly the rain storm last night was so bad, it completely washed out a few of the bunkers (hard to imagine, but that's what I heard), which have since been repaired. More thunderstorms are forecasted for tomorrow and Friday - and the high on Friday is supposed to be 59. Might be more like British Open conditions than the Masters. The weekend is supposed to be perfect though - sunny, warm, very little wind. And with all the rain, you have to figure the greens will be more manageable. We could see people challenging the course record on Saturday and Sunday.
    Singler is IRON

Pun intended?

Supposedly the rain storm last night was so bad, it completely washed out a few of the bunkers (hard to imagine, but that's what I heard), which have since been repaired. More thunderstorms are forecasted for tomorrow and Friday - and the high on Friday is supposed to be 59. Might be more like British Open conditions than the Masters. The weekend is supposed to be perfect though - sunny, warm, very little wind. And with all the rain, you have to figure the greens will be more manageable. We could see people challenging the course record on Saturday and Sunday.
    They delayed opening the gates this morning. Not sure what the issues were. It was a pretty brutal storm.

I'm seeing a high of 65 for Friday with morning showers possible. As the saying goes, if you don't like the weather at the Masters don't worry -- it'll change soon enough.

The big question is going to be wind. The greens should be softened up; question is whether the wind will let you get the ball to the spot on the green you need. So little room for error.

Par Three Contest stopped because of lightning; Harrington and Byrd tied for first at 5-under and declared winners.

No one has ever won the Par Three contest and the Tournament in the same year, FWIW.

On the eve of the season's first major, I can't remember being this excited about the Masters. I've spent way too much time watching preview coverage, and I'm not making any plans this weekend so I can watch all of the broadcast coverage of the final two rounds.

There are so many great storylines, and so many of the top players in the world are in coming in hot. I fully expect a lot of the top 10 players to be in contention on Sunday, and I also have a gut feeling that Tiger is going to win this thing by a few strokes at least. Here's an interesting tidbit, during the past six years, Woods - through all the ups and very downs of his personal life and golf game - has not finished worse than 6th at Augusta. I think he needs to be a B+ putter this week to win. The one thing that could be an issue for him is the short game, which has not been quite as sharp his driving and iron shots - including at Bay Hill - and will be crucial this week.
    I would not be shocked if Tiger won. Rory is my pick this year.

My pick this year is Bubba. Two advantages at Augusta - distance and being a lefty.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My pick this year is Bubba. Two advantages at Augusta - distance and being a lefty.
    The problem for Bubba is that he is having a lot of trouble with the flat stick.

Early scores --

Stenson 3-under thru 6
    Kaymer 2-under thru 11
    Lawrie 1-under thru 14
    Harrington 1-under thru 10
    Woods 1-under thru 4
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Henrik Stenson cruises on the back nine until making an 8 on 18. And how did he make an 8? By missing a three-footer for 7, of course. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Henrik Stenson cruises on the back nine until making an 8 on 18. And how did he make an 8? By missing a three-footer for 7, of course. Really.

Stenson's back nine was actually kind of wild all around. On 15, for instance, he put his drive in the pine trees to the right and had to play a punch shot off the pine straw back into the fairway. He threaded his shot through a narrow gap between two trees, except his reaction immediately after he hit the ball told you that wasn't where he wanted to go -- he was actually aiming at a different gap between two different trees about 10-15 yards to the left. No worries, the ball made it through and came to rest in the fairway, effectively laying up for a nice little wedge to get on in regulation -- which he promptly overjuiced and sent the ball rolling completely through the green. What does he do next? Chips in from behind the green, of course, for a ho-hum zero-putt birdie.

Guess things finally caught up with him on 18. I didn't actually see it -- just how did he make a quad? Did he hit his drive OB or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Guess things finally caught up with him on 18. I didn't actually see it -- just how did he make a quad? Did he hit his drive OB or something?
    No penalty strokes on his 8, surprisingly.

1 way left into the straw
    2 hits it about 30 feet, still in the straw
    3 kind of worm burns it to the other side of the fairway
    4 airmails the green back left
    5 pitches it short, still not on the green yet
    6 rolls it about 3½ feet by
    7 side-lips putt to right
    8 in the hole

Tiger took an unplayable on 18, his second unplayable of the day actually, but managed not to make 8.

Rain coming per radar pretty soon

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Great call on Bubba! 3-under so far, in a tie for 4th.

Day one is about not shooting yourself out of contention. I think all the guys at 2-over or better did that. The guys at 3 or 4 over are in some trouble. I think you probably need to be about 1 or 2 under after tomorrow to have a real chance. Obviously, it will depend upon how the rest of the field does, but I expect the leader to be somewhere around 6 or 7 under, at least. So, for guys like Tiger at even, you are going to need to be a couple shots in the red tomorrow to really have a chance over the weekend.

Tiger had a chance to really be in the thick of it, but he failed to birdie 13 or 15 and then went bogey-bogey on 17 and 18 to finish even. When he was 2-under coming into 13, I thought he had a real chance to finish the day at 4-under or so... which would have been huge. Instead, he is sitting in the middle of the field.

Rory is only 1 shot better than Tiger, but has to feel good about his position. He went bird-bird on 17 and 18. 1-under versus 1-over is a HUGE difference!

-Jason "Tiger usually seems very human on Thursday at the Masters... Friday and Saturday have typically been his big days" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Great call on Bubba! 3-under so far, in a tie for 4th.

Day one is about not shooting yourself out of contention. I think all the guys at 2-over or better did that. The guys at 3 or 4 over are in some trouble. I think you probably need to be about 1 or 2 under after tomorrow to have a real chance. Obviously, it will depend upon how the rest of the field does, but I expect the leader to be somewhere around 6 or 7 under, at least. So, for guys like Tiger at even, you are going to need to be a couple shots in the red tomorrow to really have a chance over the weekend.

Tiger had a chance to really be in the thick of it, but he failed to birdie 13 or 15 and then went bogey-bogey on 17 and 18 to finish even. When he was 2-under coming into 13, I thought he had a real chance to finish the day at 4-under or so... which would have been huge. Instead, he is sitting in the middle of the field.

Rory is only 1 shot better than Tiger, but has to feel good about his position. He went bird-bird on 17 and 18. 1-under versus 1-over is a HUGE difference!

-Jason "Tiger usually seems very human on Thursday at the Masters... Friday and Saturday have typically been his big days" Evans
    There is a reason that the cut is at half the field, or within 10 of the leader. Within 10 can win at cut day. Seen it before, will see it again.

The thing about the National is that it is a true risk/reward course that requires precise shots and strong putting. The best players can fall apart, the folks in the field can catch fire. There is no course like it, and it delivers year after year.

Not that I'm biased, of course. I just drive by it every day. ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not that I'm biased, of course. I just drive by it every day. ;>)
    Good plan!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    When he was 2-under coming into 13, I thought he had a real chance to finish the day at 4-under or so... which would have been huge. Instead, he is sitting in the middle of the field.
    I think Tiger's second shot on 13 is what cost him a low score round. He it an almost perfect drive and then an almost perfect second shot that landed on the middle of the green but about 3 yards too far from where he needed to hit it and rolled into the back bunker. From there, he couldn't get up and down. He was so close to having about a 10 foot putt for eagle, and ended up with a disappointing par. It just shows what a test Augusta is. You have to have precise distance control and cannot miss on the wrong side of the green.
    Singler is IRON