Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masters 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Bubba!
    Everyone needs to give rthomas pitchfork points for his call on Bubba!

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason
    Thanks Jason, but just like my own golf game, my call on Bubba was a lucky roll.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason
    I was thinking that same thing. Great call rthomas! How a swing like that can hold up in pressure is beyond me. It's just sooo, umm, unconventional. That 40 yard hook from the wood chips will go down as one of the best ever because of when it came. That was just ridiculous... I think that shot was made a little easier after Oosthuizen didn't put it on the dance floor with his approach.

Again, just another ho-hum Masters, hey fellas?

The guy who caught Oostie's double eagle ball gave it to Augusta national officials. I wonder what kind of deal he got for that. Wow! I would have asked for lifetime passes to the tournament or even better, a round or two.

or even better I say that I'd give it back if they allow women members!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The guy who caught Oostie's double eagle ball gave it to Augusta national officials. I wonder what kind of deal he got for that. Wow! I would have asked for lifetime passes to the tournament or even better, a round or two.

or even better I say that I'd give it back if they allow women members!
    Well, the standard gift is a Masters blazer. That's what the guy got who got beaned by 89-YO Sam Snead's drive in the honorary starter position in 2002.

sage

Souvenir

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, the standard gift is a Masters blazer. That's what the guy got who got beaned by 89-YO Sam Snead's drive in the honorary starter position in 2002.

sage
    I would have asked for a round of golf at Augusta. My wife would have had a fit and held out for a pair of badges for the tourney in perpetuity.

Being struck by a golf ball is alot more common occurence than the double eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    I would have asked for a round of golf at Augusta. My wife would have had a fit and held out for a pair of badges for the tourney in perpetuity.

Being struck by a golf ball is alot more common occurence than the double eagle.
    I think having the "honorary starter" and golf legend scull one into a skull is unique.

FWIW, Mr. Snead was not well and shouldn't have done the honors that year. His sons packed him into a Caddie immediately afterwards, not allowing him to speak to the press or anyone, and drove him back to Hot Springs, Va., where he lived. The incident was a bit of an embarrassment to all involved. He died about 45 days later.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    FWIW, Mr. Snead was not well and shouldn't have done the honors that year. His sons packed him into a Caddie immediately afterwards, not allowing him to speak to the press or anyone, and drove him back to Hot Springs, Va., where he lived. The incident was a bit of an embarrassment to all involved. He died about 45 days later.
    That's unpleasant, but the most embarrassing moment by a "Snead" at the Masters was Ed's in 1979. OK, Ed spells it Sneed.

As Jim Nantz alluded to, there are now two different Watsons who have won majors. This is also true with the surname Graham (Lou and David), Jones (Bobby and Steve), Nelson (Byron and Larry) and Morris (Old Tom and Young Tom). And... looks like a Fred Daly won the 1947 British. Any others? Looking at the four modern-day majors only.

Steve Pate finished close a few times, but never won a major IIRC. Jerry Pate did (also IIRC).

You also have Horton, Willie and Alex Smith, although not sure I'd call it "modern"
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 04-09-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You also have Horton, Willie and Alex Smith, although not sure I'd call it "modern"
    They count; also (using Wikipedia now) we had Willie Park Senior and Junior, and Tom and Scott Simpson. By "modern" I meant the modern definition of majors, no matter how long ago, rather than the Bobby Jones definition.

Separate, inflammatory comment: I'm beginning to think Tiger is no better than the third-best golfer of all time, behind Jones as well as Nicklaus.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    They count; also (using Wikipedia now) we had Willie Park Senior and Junior, and Tom and Scott Simpson. By "modern" I meant the modern definition of majors, no matter how long ago, rather than the Bobby Jones definition.

Separate, inflammatory comment: I'm beginning to think Tiger is no better than the third-best golfer of all time, behind Jones as well as Nicklaus.
    One thing I will say about Woods - I suspect that he may have lost a good percentage of his remaining fans this week with his petulant displays. The cursing and kicking of the club thing is okay if it happens once or twice in a career. But when you're trying to make your comeback and win back fans who have good reason to dislike you, and you've been called out repeatedly for poor golf course etiquette, and when you've acknowledged it as an issue and committed to fixing it, you cannot behave like that in the most famous golf tournament in the world and one of the most anticipated and hyped ever. He is getting shredded in the media (as alluded to earlier in the thread) for good reason.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    One thing I will say about Woods - I suspect that he may have lost a good percentage of his remaining fans this week with his petulant displays. The cursing and kicking of the club thing is okay if it happens once or twice in a career. But when you're trying to make your comeback and win back fans who have good reason to dislike you, and you've been called out repeatedly for poor golf course etiquette, and when you've acknowledged it as an issue and committed to fixing it, you cannot behave like that in the most famous golf tournament in the world and one of the most anticipated and hyped ever. He is getting shredded in the media (as alluded to earlier in the thread) for good reason.
    His on-course behavior, and not just on 16, is not a symptom of his poor play. It is a cause of it.

You can win at Bay Hill when you spray all your tee shots; the course is pretty forgiving that way. It also has a high risk/reward payoff which fits the tiger well. I've played Bay Hill, so I know this. Majors are a different animal, the two Opens moreso than the Masters in this regard.

The tiger ain't winning another major until he gets into the right frame of mind on the course.

His on-course behavior, and not just on 16, is not a symptom of his poor play. It is a cause of it.

You can win at Bay Hill when you spray all your tee shots; the course is pretty forgiving that way. It also has a high risk/reward payoff which fits the tiger well. I've played Bay Hill, so I know this. Majors are a different animal, the two Opens moreso than the Masters in this regard.

The tiger ain't winning another major until he gets into the right frame of mind on the course.
    The bad temper on the course, and subsequent lack of focus, also got one of the early leaders a snowman on 18.

Of course, the flip side is -- if y'all came to my office and watched me for four hours during a stressful afternoon, you'd hear some salty language too.

As Jim Nantz alluded to, there are now two different Watsons who have won majors. This is also true with the surname Graham (Lou and David), Jones (Bobby and Steve), Nelson (Byron and Larry) and Morris (Old Tom and Young Tom). And... looks like a Fred Daly won the 1947 British. Any others? Looking at the four modern-day majors only.
    Meh, call us when another guy named Ooisthuizen wins one.

One thing I will say about Woods - I suspect that he may have lost a good percentage of his remaining fans this week with his petulant displays.
    And, as someone noted upthread, it's one thing when you're the boy wonder; it's entirely inexcusable when you're approaching your late '30's. C'mon, Tiger. You're more miserable, and act like more of a child, shooting an even par round at Augusta than I am playing inexcusable bogey golf while suffering through a 5 hour slog with some morons in front of me on an overpriced public course. I think he should have taken 18 months off to figure out what blessings were left in his life and then focus on them after the debacle in '09. Obviously, it's dangerous and probably really irresponsible to speculate on someone's psyche based on how they act on my television, but Tiger doesn't seem to have changed much. Maybe he should have a chat with Andre Agassi if he wants to be remembered as something other than possibly the greatest player of all time but a petulant p.i.t.a. that no one liked who was mostly a trainwreck when it came to personal relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Meh, call us when another guy named Ooisthuizen wins one.

And, as someone noted upthread, it's one thing when you're the boy wonder; it's entirely inexcusable when you're approaching your late '30's. C'mon, Tiger. You're more miserable, and act like more of a child, shooting an even par round at Augusta than I am playing inexcusable bogey golf while suffering through a 5 hour slog with some morons in front of me on an overpriced public course. I think he should have taken 18 months off to figure out what blessings were left in his life and then focus on them after the debacle in '09. Obviously, it's dangerous and probably really irresponsible to speculate on someone's psyche based on how they act on my television, but Tiger doesn't seem to have changed much. Maybe he should have a chat with Andre Agassi if he wants to be remembered as something other than possibly the greatest player of all time but a petulant p.i.t.a. that no one liked who was mostly a trainwreck when it came to personal relationships.
    Well said. Maybe he needs to see Mickelson's sports psychologist who has him smiling all around the course like some deranged clown. I know Tiger has the fire to win, but come on, you're making hundreds of millions of dollars to play golf. Show some perspective and respect for the game. I am certain he wouldn't be pulling this garbage if his father were still watching him play. He needs someone to tell him like it is and straighten his head out.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Well said. Maybe he needs to see Mickelson's sports psychologist who has him smiling all around the course like some deranged clown. I know Tiger has the fire to win, but come on, you're making hundreds of millions of dollars to play golf. Show some perspective and respect for the game. I am certain he wouldn't be pulling this garbage if his father were still watching him play. He needs someone to tell him like it is and straighten his head out .
    Or remove it from an orifice in which it does not belong.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Well said. Maybe he needs to see Mickelson's sports psychologist who has him smiling all around the course like some deranged clown. I know Tiger has the fire to win, but come on, you're making hundreds of millions of dollars to play golf. Show some perspective and respect for the game. I am certain he wouldn't be pulling this garbage if his father were still watching him play. He needs someone to tell him like it is and straighten his head out.
    Great points. I think that Tiger might believe Tiger trumps "the game." His demonstrable lack of respect for The Masters was shocking. The "F" word and a kicked club say volumes about his fragile character and his lack of historical understanding. If Earl were still here, he would take a switch to him. I truly hope that he can redeem his best self and his best game soon. Otherwise, what a spectacular waste of a great career ending.

Congrats to Bubba Watson. Unbelieveable finish! Bubba is the real deal. He is a paying member of The Old North State Club. He insisted on paying and wanted to be a "regular" member. He had a break in his schedule a couple of years ago and played in the Club Championship. Yep. He won it, even giving several strokes. His wife is from NC. Bless their new family and his wife for insisting he play in The Masters instead of being home with their newly-adopted baby, as he wanted to do.

Yeah, what Tiger did on 16 was wrong and the cursing isn't good "role-modelish" chatter. But guys, this is Tiger Woods. He's always done this sort of thing. He said when he came back that he was going to change but I keep thinking leaopard and spots here. I don't care how old you are, it is what it is and Tiger shows his emotions on his sleeve and probably always will. His excuse for kicking the club reaffirms my belief he had very little remorse for his actions. If he had won, would we be talking about his etiquette and/or decorum? Seems people were a lot more okay with his antics pre-fallout.

Also, and most importantly IMO, Woods was arguably the best golfer ever and certainly of his generation. What he's going through has to be absolutely maddening. He's bascially an average guy out there these days and Tiger has never been anything remotely close to that. I'm not surprised one bit by his actions. I actually felt for the guy watching him push-fade after push-fade his iron play in rd 2. Here's hoping he can somehow figure out how to take his swing on the range to the course so we can focus on his golf, not his actions. But then again, I can't figure that out and my hourglass is a lot further along than Tiger's.