Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best case scenario for the next two weeks

The next two weeks are going to shape the next year(s) of Duke basketball. Taking into account current player development and new additons, what is your ideal scenario over the next couple weeks?

Would you want shabazz to commit and possibly affect Dre's and Gbinije's development?

Would you want a Senior Mason or a freshman Parker?

What about Amile's possible commitment possibly affecting Hairston's development? Or Murphy's?

Just curious what people want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrake51 View Post
    The next two weeks are going to shape the next year(s) of Duke basketball. Taking into account current player development and new additons, what is your ideal scenario over the next couple weeks?

Would you want shabazz to commit and possibly affect Dre's and Gbinije's development?

What about Amile's possible commitment possibly affecting Hairston's development? Or Murphy's?

I would like to see 'Bazz commit over anything else. With him, we're in the mix for the Final 4. Without him... well, then it's a great unknown

With 'Bazz, I'd like to see Mason stay. Without him, I'd be just as happy to free up the extra scholarship and groom an extra talent for a possible run in 2013.

Nothing against Mason at all. Just my thought process.

1) Yes! Dre hasn't developed as much as we'd like and hasn't shown the drive necessary for big improvements. I've accepted that he is what he is - anywhere between very good and very bad on a given night. Considering {G} barely played this year, I think reasonable expectations for him is as a role player next year. We can really use Shabazz, and {G} could back him up.
    2) Both! I'd like to see Mason put everything together and dominate inside next year while Parker improves his conditioning (I can't see him ready to play big minutes next year). Then we can have Parker/Plum3 man the post for the next 3 years after Mason graduates.
    Since 1 and 2 would max out our scholarships, then no Amile. I like his game, but I remain skeptical about Amile being able to put much weight on that frame. I prefer we develop Murphy instead.

Honestly, as long as Mason comes back, I'll be perfectly happy with next year's roster. With that said, any recruits or transfers on top of that is just icing on the cake. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Shabazz Muhammad in Duke blue...

I think the next two weeks will have an impact on next season, but the suggestion that they will "shape the next years of Duke basketball" seems way too strong to me. While it's true that Amile Jefferson and/or Tony Parker (and/or Trey Zeigler) could have an impact in 2013-14 and beyond, they are not in my opinion program shaping players.

If we get Shabazz (seemingly unlikely) it would mean Duke is a top 5 team next year and Final Four contender. I don't see him affecting Andre's or Mike's development because they'll both hopefully be in the rotation anyway.

For next year, a senior Mason is much preferable to a freshman Parker. Not even close. For the years beyond, obviously Mason would be gone, but in college basketball it's usually best to worry about one year at a time, so I'd go with Mason. Also, I think it's unlikely Parker comes to Duke in any event.

I'd like Amile to come to Duke, but if he does I'd be surprised if he played much, would be very surprised if he were ahead of Josh in the rotation, and would be shocked if he were ahead of Alex in the rotation. He won't affect anybody's development except his own.

Other than the very small chance we have at Shabazz, I'm most intrigued by Zeigler and/or Oriakhi, because of their defensive abilities. Add one or both of them to our rotation, along with Rasheed Sulaimon (who has a reputation as a strong defender) and our team looks very, very different, in a good way.

I love the optimism. Highly unlikely, doubtful, etc. Recruiting is selling. Why wouldn't we be just as likely to land five star recruitS? Yes that's plural. We have the best coach, a top ten school, national exposure, lots of former players in the league, ESPN commentators, a historic venue and multiple NCs. Just wondering why. Maybe by April 11 our staff does the job we all are pulling for. Go Devils!

Tiger wins the Masters and I strike oil in my backyard

I really like the fact that you point out how bringing in new guys affects existing guys. People around here often forget that and have too much of a grass is greener mindset. That being said, one's answers to these questions also must take into account what is likely and what is unlikely.

Zeigler appears more likely to be on the team next year than Amile, Tony or Bazz. But Zeigler would have to compete for minutes with Andre and Gbinije which could hurt us in the long run. We do not necessarily need Trey Zeigler, but he's a great kid and we do not know what to expect from Gbinije.

Amile is very talented and very interested in Duke, but probably sees limited minutes next year and knows that. I see him as somewhat redundant with Murphy.

Tony fills a niche we do not have anyone for, even if Mason does return. So I think he's a huge priority, evidenced by Coach K's level of effort.

Bazz moves us into title contender position and that is the #1 goal.

So I'd vote for Mason to come back and for us to pick up Bazz and Tony Parker, because we'd have all the parts of a great team, except maybe an elite point guard (even though I do have high hopes for a healthier, more experienced Quinn Cook in the coming season).

The tradeoffs for having Mason, Bazz and Tony on the roster next year are limited minutes for Marshall and Josh in the post, and the possibility of Gbinije and Andre getting buried on the bench except for spot minutes. But we'd be title contenders and that's more important than anything, in all honesty.

I'd say the next four weeks is a better estimate. We may very well not know about Mason's decision for sure until April 29. The same may be true of several players not affiliated with Duke. April 11 will probably clear up quite a bit, but it certainly won't be the finalization.

As for your list:

Dawkins' development is nearing its end as a Duke player. I hope he'll expand his game as a senior, but I'm not counting on it. That said, I won't worry too much about Dawkins if we add Muhammad. Choosing one year of Dawkins or one year of Muhammad (given we have a bunch of 3pt shooters already), I'll take Muhammad. Gbinije's development is a different question. Again, I want to see Duke succeed. If that means Muhammad pushes Gbinije to a reserve role, so be it. All that said, I don't think we'll have to worry about Muhammad cutting into Dawkins' or Gbinije's minutes. I think Muhammad will be wearing a slightly different shade of blue.

From what I've seen of the two players, I'd prefer a senior Mason to a freshman Parker. Parker will be an impact player next year, but he's quite a bit out of shape and I wonder how well he'd fit defensively into what we do. He's got skills though, that's for sure. But again, I don't think we're likely to get Parker, so it probably doesn't matter.

As for Jefferson, I don't think he'd play over Murphy (who was a higher-rated player in the same class and now has a year's worth of practice and strength training at the college level). I also don't think he'll play over a junior Hairston who is much more physically ready to play next year.

I know that a lot of people are excited about some of the new players we may pick up in the near future, but we have A LOT of talent already on the roster. K said not too long ago that next years team was going to be really good, and even if we totally whiff on recruits/transfers, I still think we will be.

Loosing Austin will totally change the dynamic of this team, for better or worse, and I'm excited to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles4Eva View Post
    I know that a lot of people are excited about some of the new players we may pick up in the near future, but we have A LOT of talent already on the roster. K said not too long ago that next years team was going to be really good, and even if we totally whiff on recruits/transfers, I still think we will be.

Loosing Austin will totally change the dynamic of this team, for better or worse, and I'm excited to see what happens.
    Coach K is pretty good at making adjustments. I have faith that he'll figure out what to do with what we have. And I think that what we have has the potential to be really good.

I just don't see Duke being that good no matter what next year. Our point guard situation is horrible. Our bigs are incredibly soft. You can't just rearrange the pieces to make this thing work.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I just don't see Duke being that good no matter what next year. Our point guard situation is horrible. Our bigs are incredibly soft. You can't just rearrange the pieces to make this thing work.
    You are right- they may only win 28-30 games next season if Mason comes back. That is one bad team. Anybody can do that.

Agree that Mason and Bazz would have the biggest impact for next year. Everyone else on our radar would be more like guys who are important for the future but wouldn't be difference makers next year.

And I know this isn't what you're asking but my "best case" scenario would also involve McAdoo going pro, Calipari getting hired by the Knicks after his title is vacated, and Calhoun retiring.

I think we can be final four good even without Bazz, Parker or Jefferson. Assuming Mason comes back then we have Mason, Kelly, Murphy/G, Curry/Dawkins, Cook/Thornton plus Suliamon, Marshall and Hairston. We are in good shape. We have bigger 3s, a pg able to create and a stud big man. I would love to see Suliamon start and have Curry and Dawkins come in off the bench. That would make us more athletic.

I think you are wrong. I really think Q is gonna deliver. I thought he looked like he had the goods/potential this year.

I'd love it if we got everyone and just played everyone, trying to wear other teams down/run teams out of the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I love the optimism. Highly unlikely, doubtful, etc. Recruiting is selling. Why wouldn't we be just as likely to land five star recruitS? Yes that's plural. We have the best coach, a top ten school, national exposure, lots of former players in the league, ESPN commentators, a historic venue and multiple NCs. Just wondering why. Maybe by April 11 our staff does the job we all are pulling for. Go Devils!
    Well, sure, Duke has a lot to sell to recruits, and things could go very well. For Duke to still be in the running for three significant uncommitted recruits (and one or maybe two transfers) is itself a sign of how marketable the program is. But I don't think people here are being pessimistic based on the idea that Duke isn't an attractive option so much as they are making assumptions about what players might do based on the players' own previous comments, the little bits of inside perspective we get from time to time, etc. Various player-specific indications have suggested that Duke probably isn't the likeliest choice for either Shabazz Muhammad or Tony Parker--it doesn't mean it can't happen, but sometimes it's best not to get too excited about potential recruits before they commit, especially if instinct tells you they might be going elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles4Eva View Post
    When did K say this? Do you have a link? It just seems a little odd he'd offer such an assessment before knowing who will be on next year's team and how they are likely to fit together. I seem to remember an interview in which he said some team would be very good next year (can't remember now which one), but I don't think it was Duke.

My Two Cents Worth at Least Twice as Much

Would you want shabazz to commit and possibly affect Dre's and Gbinije's development?.
    I'll take Shabazz; the more really good players the merrier.

Would you want a Senior Mason or a freshman Parker?.
    I would be much happier with EITHER scenario than with NEITHER being here. If I have to choose, it depends on whether 2013 looks like the big year or 2014.

What about Amile's possible commitment possibly affecting Hairston's development? Or Murphy's?.
    The more the merrier redux. C'mon down, Amile!

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Agree that Mason and Bazz would have the biggest impact for next year. Everyone else on our radar would be more like guys who are important for the future but wouldn't be difference makers next year.

And I know this isn't what you're asking but my "best case" scenario would also involve McAdoo going pro, Calipari getting hired by the Knicks after his title is vacated, and Calhoun retiring.
    I don't know if you were joking or not, but does anyone know if Calipari has any interest in the NBA? Or does it seem like he'll stay at Ky for a while? Now that's he' won a title, I wonder if that might change anything for him. Expecatations and pressure are only going to get worse for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieinSoCal View Post
    I don't know if you were joking or not, but does anyone know if Calipari has any interest in the NBA? Or does it seem like he'll stay at Ky for a while? Now that's he' won a title, I wonder if that might change anything for him. Expecatations and pressure are only going to get worse for him.
    The Knicks job currently has an interim.