Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best case scenario for the next two weeks

The next two weeks are going to shape the next year(s) of Duke basketball. Taking into account current player development and new additons, what is your ideal scenario over the next couple weeks?

Would you want shabazz to commit and possibly affect Dre's and Gbinije's development?

Would you want a Senior Mason or a freshman Parker?

What about Amile's possible commitment possibly affecting Hairston's development? Or Murphy's?

Just curious what people want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrake51 View Post
    The next two weeks are going to shape the next year(s) of Duke basketball. Taking into account current player development and new additons, what is your ideal scenario over the next couple weeks?

Would you want shabazz to commit and possibly affect Dre's and Gbinije's development?

What about Amile's possible commitment possibly affecting Hairston's development? Or Murphy's?

I would like to see 'Bazz commit over anything else. With him, we're in the mix for the Final 4. Without him... well, then it's a great unknown

With 'Bazz, I'd like to see Mason stay. Without him, I'd be just as happy to free up the extra scholarship and groom an extra talent for a possible run in 2013.

Nothing against Mason at all. Just my thought process.

Honestly, as long as Mason comes back, I'll be perfectly happy with next year's roster. With that said, any recruits or transfers on top of that is just icing on the cake. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Shabazz Muhammad in Duke blue...

1) Yes! Dre hasn't developed as much as we'd like and hasn't shown the drive necessary for big improvements. I've accepted that he is what he is - anywhere between very good and very bad on a given night. Considering {G} barely played this year, I think reasonable expectations for him is as a role player next year. We can really use Shabazz, and {G} could back him up.
    2) Both! I'd like to see Mason put everything together and dominate inside next year while Parker improves his conditioning (I can't see him ready to play big minutes next year). Then we can have Parker/Plum3 man the post for the next 3 years after Mason graduates.
    Since 1 and 2 would max out our scholarships, then no Amile. I like his game, but I remain skeptical about Amile being able to put much weight on that frame. I prefer we develop Murphy instead.

I think the next two weeks will have an impact on next season, but the suggestion that they will "shape the next years of Duke basketball" seems way too strong to me. While it's true that Amile Jefferson and/or Tony Parker (and/or Trey Zeigler) could have an impact in 2013-14 and beyond, they are not in my opinion program shaping players.

If we get Shabazz (seemingly unlikely) it would mean Duke is a top 5 team next year and Final Four contender. I don't see him affecting Andre's or Mike's development because they'll both hopefully be in the rotation anyway.

For next year, a senior Mason is much preferable to a freshman Parker. Not even close. For the years beyond, obviously Mason would be gone, but in college basketball it's usually best to worry about one year at a time, so I'd go with Mason. Also, I think it's unlikely Parker comes to Duke in any event.

I'd like Amile to come to Duke, but if he does I'd be surprised if he played much, would be very surprised if he were ahead of Josh in the rotation, and would be shocked if he were ahead of Alex in the rotation. He won't affect anybody's development except his own.

Other than the very small chance we have at Shabazz, I'm most intrigued by Zeigler and/or Oriakhi, because of their defensive abilities. Add one or both of them to our rotation, along with Rasheed Sulaimon (who has a reputation as a strong defender) and our team looks very, very different, in a good way.

I love the optimism. Highly unlikely, doubtful, etc. Recruiting is selling. Why wouldn't we be just as likely to land five star recruitS? Yes that's plural. We have the best coach, a top ten school, national exposure, lots of former players in the league, ESPN commentators, a historic venue and multiple NCs. Just wondering why. Maybe by April 11 our staff does the job we all are pulling for. Go Devils!

Tiger wins the Masters and I strike oil in my backyard

I really like the fact that you point out how bringing in new guys affects existing guys. People around here often forget that and have too much of a grass is greener mindset. That being said, one's answers to these questions also must take into account what is likely and what is unlikely.

Zeigler appears more likely to be on the team next year than Amile, Tony or Bazz. But Zeigler would have to compete for minutes with Andre and Gbinije which could hurt us in the long run. We do not necessarily need Trey Zeigler, but he's a great kid and we do not know what to expect from Gbinije.

Amile is very talented and very interested in Duke, but probably sees limited minutes next year and knows that. I see him as somewhat redundant with Murphy.

Tony fills a niche we do not have anyone for, even if Mason does return. So I think he's a huge priority, evidenced by Coach K's level of effort.

Bazz moves us into title contender position and that is the #1 goal.

So I'd vote for Mason to come back and for us to pick up Bazz and Tony Parker, because we'd have all the parts of a great team, except maybe an elite point guard (even though I do have high hopes for a healthier, more experienced Quinn Cook in the coming season).

The tradeoffs for having Mason, Bazz and Tony on the roster next year are limited minutes for Marshall and Josh in the post, and the possibility of Gbinije and Andre getting buried on the bench except for spot minutes. But we'd be title contenders and that's more important than anything, in all honesty.

I know that a lot of people are excited about some of the new players we may pick up in the near future, but we have A LOT of talent already on the roster. K said not too long ago that next years team was going to be really good, and even if we totally whiff on recruits/transfers, I still think we will be.

Loosing Austin will totally change the dynamic of this team, for better or worse, and I'm excited to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles4Eva View Post
    I know that a lot of people are excited about some of the new players we may pick up in the near future, but we have A LOT of talent already on the roster. K said not too long ago that next years team was going to be really good, and even if we totally whiff on recruits/transfers, I still think we will be.

Loosing Austin will totally change the dynamic of this team, for better or worse, and I'm excited to see what happens.
    Coach K is pretty good at making adjustments. I have faith that he'll figure out what to do with what we have. And I think that what we have has the potential to be really good.

I just don't see Duke being that good no matter what next year. Our point guard situation is horrible. Our bigs are incredibly soft. You can't just rearrange the pieces to make this thing work.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I just don't see Duke being that good no matter what next year. Our point guard situation is horrible. Our bigs are incredibly soft. You can't just rearrange the pieces to make this thing work.
    You are right- they may only win 28-30 games next season if Mason comes back. That is one bad team. Anybody can do that.

Agree that Mason and Bazz would have the biggest impact for next year. Everyone else on our radar would be more like guys who are important for the future but wouldn't be difference makers next year.

And I know this isn't what you're asking but my "best case" scenario would also involve McAdoo going pro, Calipari getting hired by the Knicks after his title is vacated, and Calhoun retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Agree that Mason and Bazz would have the biggest impact for next year. Everyone else on our radar would be more like guys who are important for the future but wouldn't be difference makers next year.

And I know this isn't what you're asking but my "best case" scenario would also involve McAdoo going pro, Calipari getting hired by the Knicks after his title is vacated, and Calhoun retiring.
    I don't know if you were joking or not, but does anyone know if Calipari has any interest in the NBA? Or does it seem like he'll stay at Ky for a while? Now that's he' won a title, I wonder if that might change anything for him. Expecatations and pressure are only going to get worse for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieinSoCal View Post
    I don't know if you were joking or not, but does anyone know if Calipari has any interest in the NBA? Or does it seem like he'll stay at Ky for a while? Now that's he' won a title, I wonder if that might change anything for him. Expecatations and pressure are only going to get worse for him.
    The Knicks job currently has an interim.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The Knicks job currently has an interim.
    Interim being the key word though. I'm sure that if Knicks were given an opportunity to hire Jackson or maybe Calipari starting this week, they would jump on it. There aren't that many marquee coaches out there and many of them are either tied up with big contracts or simply happy where they are. When you have someone sitting on your bench that you know isn't going to be in the long term plans, why wait to grab your coach?

As to the OP, I would definitely say grab Bazz if you can. He's a great talent and from what I've read/seen a great person also. He may create a bit of a bench backlog but {g} and Murphy should only get better practicing with him. The MP2 vs Parker decision is a little trickier. I think that MP2 would definitely be a bigger asset to the teams success next season but Parker should have a bigger long term impact. He should a) be around for more than 1 season which helps the team in '13 and '14 and b) help with the "big man" image issues. Ultimately, I think that my preference hinges on Bazz's decision. If he comes to Duke then with MP2, I think we have a legitimate shot at a F4 or NC next year. If he goes elsewhere, I think we will be good but not realistically a F4 caliber team so we might be better off having Parker and letting him develop for '13.

I'm not sure about Amile. I think that he will be a very good college player but not necessarily an impact player next year. I also see a lot of overlap in skill set with Murphy so I'm not sure where he fits in. I guess it comes down to his expectations. If he's willing to come in and bide his time with likely few minutes as a freshman (or can we even dream about a red shirt?) then the more the merrier. Of course depending on the other two guys (and MP2) there may not be an extra scholarship available.

I hope:

A) Mason returns and with a fierce attitude to improve for next years draft.

B) Shabazz Muhammad commits to Duke (Starting lineup of Cook, Seth, Bazz, Kelly, and Mason. Tyler, Alex and Andre off the bench)

C) Amile Jefferson commits to NC State

D) Tony Parker goes to Gtown

I want Amile at State because I want State to be good again and challenging us and unc year in and year out and this would help. I do not care really where Parker goes just not Unc or UK.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I hope:

A) Mason returns and with a fierce attitude to improve for next years draft.

B) Shabazz Muhammad commits to Duke (Starting lineup of Cook, Seth, Bazz, Kelly, and Mason. Tyler, Alex and Andre off the bench)

C) Amile Jefferson commits to NC State

D) Tony Parker goes to Gtown

I want Amile at State because I want State to be good again and challenging us and unc year in and year out and this would help. I do not care really where Parker goes just not Unc or UK.
    Don't forget Rasheed Sulaimon. That kid can play and I think he is going to be a very big contributor to the 2012-13 team. At this point I'd be glad to have Amile Jefferson and or Shabazz Muhammad. I think Duke's odds are better of getting Jefferson though.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Only Losses Expected?

Here's a quote from the end of the GoDuke.com season summary linked on the Main Page --

Looking Ahead

While things were uncertain for Duke heading into this season, the Blue Devils will have a much more established roster coming into 2012-13. With the only losses expected to be Miles Plumlee and Rivers, Duke will return 10 players including four of the top five scorers from this season.
    I like it! I like it!

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's a quote from the end of the GoDuke.com season summary linked on the Main Page --

I like it! I like it!

sagegrouse
    I think Mason Plumlee coming back would be the "recruit" that would make me happiest heading into next year. It would be nice to get someone else, but I would really enjoy watching a senior class of Mason, Ryan, Andre and Seth.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”