Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    I am sad to say, I'd prefer to see Kentucky win tonight. Having lived in the Kansas City area for a number of years until very recently, I was always shocked at the amount of Duke hate spewed by Jayhawk fans. It was incredible. They rejoiced for days when VCU knocked Duke out in the 1st Round; They scoffed at the Championship in 2010 as "a huge fluke." I had one KU fan tell me that Greg Paulus "would be third string" on a KU team. Of course, you see this around the country, and I can understand that level of vitriol from UNC, Maryland, or Kentucky (the Shot) fans. But to me, it just always seemed that ardent Jayhawk fans had a bad case of "hey,what about us???" sydrome and wanted to somehow diminish Duke's popularity/success over the past 20 years. Which really isn't necessary, because KU has done really well in that timeframe, too. No need for the unwarranted trash talk. They also have a HUGE hang up on the whole Cameron Indoor vs. "The Phog" as the 'best home court' in college basketball thing. I once listened to a KU fan rant for about 2 hours about how Allen Field House was "head and shoulders" above every other college basketball venue. Needless to say, I'll never get those two hours back. If I could have jumped from the moving car, I would have.
    Also, I haven't been a huge fan of a lot of the players that KU has leaned on in the past few years. Sherron Collins, The Morris Twins, Tyshon Taylor... good players but attitude and off-court incidents that make it hard to cheer for them. And frankly, I haven't seen a single thing from this batch of Kentucky players that suggests that they have bad attitudes or aren't great teammates. Easy to cheer for, in my mind.
    So, I'd much rather have a team like an Indiana, a Purdue, an NC State to route for... but I suppose I'm left with UK. Since I don't travel to Kentucky, I could care less. But since I do return to KC every so often, I just won't want to deal with another KU title being used to to bolster a "we're so much better than Duke" argument.
    After all, I recall a certain Tyler Thorton three-pointer a few months ago that said otherwise.
    Look, I won't pretend to change your mind on this, but I think your comments are interesting. KU is in a super-weird place in Kansas City. There are two other BCS schools that claim KC as their own too (KSU and Mizzou), and they have been mediocre (at best) over the last 30 years. KU grads more than double KSU and Mizzou combined, but the KC media has picked up on this, so they are heavily anti-KU in their articles / TV appearances. They understand that KSU / Mizzou will tune in to jump on KU, and they know that KU will tune it so scream "WTF!" Viewers / readers are tough to come by these days. Missouri has a good journalism school, so their grads own the paper (KC Star) and most of the TV stations. This dynamic has caused most KU fans to be overly patriotic about KU, imo.

I say this purely because I would hope you wouldn't paint all Jayhawk fans in the same color. Personally, I live in Chicago and in my circle of close friends / co-workers, I have an exorbitant amount of annoying Indiana Hoosier / Indy Colts / Indy Pacers fans. I despise everything Indianapolis, just because of these 4-5 people. (These guys hate Duke too, a lot of people are jealous of your success.) I know that's not right, I really do. But it's funny how your gut will tell you to root for a team, only because of your experience with a few fans.

Back on topic. I'm in New Orleans right now. If fan support is any indication, UK will romp. It's at least 10-1 in favor of UK down here.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It'll be the first time in the tournament that Kansas has faced such an opponent.
    I could flip this the other way too. When was the last time UK faced a top 10 opponent?

(According to Kenpom, it was early December against UNC. The SEC was putrid this year. Indiana was #11, fwiw.)

I am sad to say, I'd prefer to see Kentucky win tonight. Having lived in the Kansas City area for a number of years until very recently, I was always shocked at the amount of Duke hate spewed by Jayhawk fans. It was incredible. They rejoiced for days when VCU knocked Duke out in the 1st Round; They scoffed at the Championship in 2010 as "a huge fluke." I had one KU fan tell me that Greg Paulus "would be third string" on a KU team. Of course, you see this around the country, and I can understand that level of vitriol from UNC, Maryland, or Kentucky (the Shot) fans. But to me, it just always seemed that ardent Jayhawk fans had a bad case of "hey,what about us???" sydrome and wanted to somehow diminish Duke's popularity/success over the past 20 years. Which really isn't necessary, because KU has done really well in that timeframe, too. No need for the unwarranted trash talk. They also have a HUGE hang up on the whole Cameron Indoor vs. "The Phog" as the 'best home court' in college basketball thing. I once listened to a KU fan rant for about 2 hours about how Allen Field House was "head and shoulders" above every other college basketball venue. Needless to say, I'll never get those two hours back. If I could have jumped from the moving car, I would have.
    Also, I haven't been a huge fan of a lot of the players that KU has leaned on in the past few years. Sherron Collins, The Morris Twins, Tyshon Taylor... good players but attitude and off-court incidents that make it hard to cheer for them. And frankly, I haven't seen a single thing from this batch of Kentucky players that suggests that they have bad attitudes or aren't great teammates. Easy to cheer for, in my mind.
    So, I'd much rather have a team like an Indiana, a Purdue, an NC State to route for... but I suppose I'm left with UK. Since I don't travel to Kentucky, I could care less. But since I do return to KC every so often, I just won't want to deal with another KU title being used to to bolster a "we're so much better than Duke" argument.
    After all, I recall a certain Tyler Thorton three-pointer a few months ago that said otherwise.
    That's interesting. I'm not in love with KU fans, but I generally like them better them anyone else of the big programs except maybe IU. Most of the ones I've met here at Regionals or Cardinals games or what have you seem to have an enemy's-enemy dynamic with us because they hate Roy. In fact--and I could be ignorant here--I sort of had the impression that they were the only fanbase besides State (and perhaps Wake Forest) who hated Carolina more than us.

The Wake Forest fans I've met (my parents live near Winston) are sort of age graded. The older ones hate Carolina one, and the young ones hate Duke more. To overgeneralize.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I can understand where DukeWarhead is coming from. I grew up in Texas a Duke fan and always liked Kansas as a secondary favorite team so to speak. I moved up there for college and ended up living in the state for 8 years before moving back to Texas. When I arrived in KS I had no problems with KU basketball. But once I made known my love for Duke, I became an enemy haha. I grew to dislike Kansas just because of their fanbase's hate (cough cough jealousy from many of them) for Duke. It has been 4 months since I lived in Kansas and in that time I've somewhat lowered my disliking for KU

All that said, can't stand UNC and Kentucky. So go KU

KC Native...

But to me, it just always seemed that ardent Jayhawk fans had a bad case of "hey,what about us???" sydrome and wanted to somehow diminish Duke's popularity/success over the past 20 years. Which really isn't necessary, because KU has done really well in that timeframe, too. No need for the unwarranted trash talk. They also have a HUGE hang up on the whole Cameron Indoor vs. "The Phog" as the 'best home court' in college basketball thing. I once listened to a KU fan rant for about 2 hours about how Allen Field House was "head and shoulders" above every other college basketball venue.
    Have to agree with this. I grew up in innercity KC and loved Mizzou (Derrick "Bandaid" Chievous was one of my childhood idols) so have generally hated KU since forever for silly fanboyish reasons. But upon return home after Duke and grad school can't tell you how many times I had this conversation with jealous KU fans. Fully admit my own biases but tend to be in the enviable position of not have to really care about any other team's success relative to mine. Is not so true for the KU fans I know.

I'm also not as low on Calipari as most on this board and actually like this UK team almost as much as I liked his UMass team (was actually in grad school at UMass when he was there and knew some of those players personally).

I also totally get the feelings UK fans have about Duke... the sting felt on 3/28/1992 is almost impossible to get over. It's like David and Goliath but David ends up getting sucker punched after the bell (well not quite after) and they get to live that moment over and over again every single year.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    I could flip this the other way too. When was the last time UK faced a top 10 opponent?

(According to Kenpom, it was early December against UNC. The SEC was putrid this year. Indiana was #11, fwiw.)
    Well, that's kind of a tight threshold. UK has played the #4 (Kansas, by the way), #7, #11 (twice), #12 (twice), #15 (twice), #16 (twice), and #17 teams in the nation. The SEC is certainly weak, but its not like Kentucky hasn't faced tough teams. They handled Kansas pretty convincingly the first time they played. Kansas will have to play a lot better this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    less bizarre? Are you sure?

I've got nothing against the players on either team, but prefer Self to Calipari and favor upsets when Duke or a non-UNC ACC team are playing out of conference. With all that factored in, I'm leaning towards Kansas.

Plus, the twinge UNC fans would get when CBS shows Roy cheering for KU in the title game would be particulary enjoyable. It'll be better if Kansas is winning.
    I guess the part I glossed over is that you lived in KC until recently. There is sort of a coulomb's law of fandom in effect here: the repulsion is inversely proportional to a square of the distance.

here we go
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

as expected ...hectic pace....ku trying hard not to get off to a slow start...

man, uk is just bigger, better, stronger....wow..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

Well, they're bigger and stronger at the SG and SF spots. But Kansas is bigger and stronger at the PF and C spots.

yeah, this is about what I expected for the start.

Terrence Jones, Kidd-Gilchrist wore their big boy pants tonight. If Jones can continue to negate Thomas Robinson it could be a long night for the Jayhawks. Kansas has to win that matchup, and probably needs to win it convincingly.

Terrence Jones, Kidd-Gilchrist wore their big boy pants tonight. If Jones can continue to negate Thomas Robinson it could be a long night for the Jayhawks. Kansas has to win that matchup, and probably needs to win it convincingly.
    Kansas has to maintain contact. KY is expending a lot of energy.

kansas is getting blocked everywhere inside the 3 pt line...

Like many others I don't like Calipari, but I do have to hand it to him, he gets these elite players to buy into the team concept, they share the ball well and they play some serious D. Managing a team of all-stars isn't easy, especially when they're all there for their own purposes, but somehow Cal has convinced them to value winning above all else.

Oooh, rough ankle roll by Jones. Hopefully he's okay. Will be interesting to see how he plays from here on out. If they have to go with Wiltjer/Vargas, that's a big dropoff.

Oooh, rough ankle roll by Jones. Hopefully he's okay. Will be interesting to see how he plays from here on out. If they have to go with Wiltjer/Vargas, that's a big dropoff.
    yeah, that looked painful

Robinson is struggling to get his shot off. Kansas is limited on O.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Robinson is struggling to get his shot off. Kansas is limited on O.
    This is turning painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    This is turning painful to watch.
    Yes, although it will make it easier to turn the TV off and go to bed with this late start.